View Full Version : Golden Corral Closed

imafish
11-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I noticed on my way to work this morning that the Golden Corral on Broadway was closed. I am sure everyone is really surprised.

SoonerDave
11-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Golden Corrals are hideous.

There's one on I-240 and Penn that can just disappear anytime it wants.

Sadly, when the first one opened out in MWC several years ago, it was at least decent, but something along the way changed and they all started serving the same brew of remolded congealed carbohydrates.

Ugh.

-SoonerDave

John
11-30-2006, 01:57 PM
And people wonder why we're on the lists of 'unhealthiest places'.

Close more of them! ;)

writerranger
11-30-2006, 02:01 PM
I hope the one on North May is still open. Actually, I have a different opinion on Golden Corral solely because of their Fresh Vegetable Bar. I can go in there and get nothing but a huge plate of fresh vegetables and leave very satisfied.

----------

SoonerDave
11-30-2006, 04:37 PM
And people wonder why we're on the lists of 'unhealthiest places'.

Having a Golden Corral doesn't make you unhealthy.

Eating there five or six times a week does.

-SoonerDave

Patrick
11-30-2006, 08:01 PM
I completely disagree with all of you. Golden Corral is actually one of my favorite restaurants, mostly for their salad bar. It's a lot healthier than McDonalds, or any other fast food restaurants. At least they offer veggies and the like. And their buffet is pretty decent.

MadMonk
11-30-2006, 08:15 PM
I like Golden Corral too. However, I've been to the one in Edmond once and was disappointed. The one on N. May is much better. It's a great place to take kids because of the variety of foods available - and you can bribe them to eat their veggies with the desserts. ;-)

Patrick
11-30-2006, 08:20 PM
I went to the one on I-40 and MacArthur for Thanksgiving. Yummy! Deeeeeelicious!

writerranger
11-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I completely disagree with all of you. Golden Corral is actually one of my favorite restaurants, mostly for their salad bar. It's a lot healthier than McDonalds, or any other fast food restaurants. At least they offer veggies and the like. And their buffet is pretty decent.

You don't disagree with me. Maybe you missed my post about their fresh vegetables. I'm with you on Golden Corral.....good value, too!

---------------

Keith
11-30-2006, 08:47 PM
I went to the one on I-40 and MacArthur for Thanksgiving. Yummy! Deeeeeelicious!
I go to the one at I-240 & Penn, and it has always been wonderful. They have a wonderful selection of salads, fruit, desserts, and veggies. Plus, their prices are pretty reasonable.

jbrown84
11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
I prefer HomeTown Buffet.

Martin
12-01-2006, 07:47 AM
ouch. i don't like golden corral, but i despise hometown buffet... i remember my family went for thanksgiving around 15 years ago... we usually cook, but i think my mom must've just gotten out of the hospital or something. i swear... it was thanksgiving of the living dead. ever since i've hated hometown buffet. -M

jbrown84
12-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Um, the last time you went there was 15 years ago? You might want to give it another chance.

Martin
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
c'mon... i'm talkin' thanksgiving of the living dead here... that doesn't get a second chance. really. besides, i may have been back once or twice in that 15 years... just because i hate the place doesn't imply that i haven't been duped into going back.

in all honesty, i'm not a big fan of the buffet concept. it does work sometimes and with some cuisine... but more often than not, i feel that you get food that just doesn't taste that great.

-M

jbrown84
12-04-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by Thanksgiving of the living dead

Martin
12-04-2006, 12:20 PM
well... basically... i think the average age of the buffet's patrons that day was about 90 years old. they were shuffling around like zombies... and it was thanksgiving... hence thanksgiving of the living dead. don't take it too seriously, i'm just goofing around. -M

SoonerDave
12-04-2006, 03:09 PM
I prefer Hometown Buffet 100% over Golden Corral. Not even close.

Golden Corral strikes me as one of those places they clean thoroughly once every two to three years, whether it needs it or not.

I've found HTB to have a nice variety, generally fresher and cleaner than GC. Mind you, I used to really like GC, but somewhere things went terribly wrong.

-SoonerDave

Jack Wonder
12-06-2006, 01:56 PM
My old roommate would refer to GC as "Golden Glutton", :)

Last time I ate at one was in Ft. Hayes, KS. My same roommate, who swallows his food w/o chewing, choked on a STEAK (you heard me) and threw it up in tact at our table...

...Needless to say I was through at that point.

metro
12-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Even better is Fire Mountain. I love that place.

Martin
12-11-2006, 06:52 AM
oh wow... i've never been to fire mountain and didn't know that it was a buffet place... a google search revealed that it's owned by ryan's restaurant group... as in ryan's steakhouse, which basically was a golden corral clone. -M

Jack Wonder
12-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Fire Mountain IS Golden Corrals suped-up replacement!

But you won't see me parked outside of one. It is seriously a crack house for overeaters!

(No offense to FM regulars, b/c I would enjoy FM too much, and my gf's family loves to go there too)

jbrown84
12-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Last time I ate at one was in Ft. Hayes, KS. My same roommate, who swallows his food w/o chewing, choked on a STEAK (you heard me) and threw it up in tact at our table...

...Needless to say I was through at that point.

hahahaha

Jjjjunkyarddog
12-16-2006, 06:16 PM
i have been to the one in Shawnee manny times hope they stay open i like the diff. choses of meats eventhough the steak is tough some times .I will contue to go backk it would be easyer if it was cheaper .thanks

I AM PS3
01-08-2008, 02:34 PM
OK, OK... I know this thread is super old, but I had to chuckle reading it. Yes, the place has been closed for years now, but if you drive by today the sign still says "We closed"... just in case you were tempted to pull in there for breakfast.

Paul
--------------------------------------------
I AM PS3 (http://iamps3.spaces.live.com)

chembree
01-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Hey!!! This is my first post .... so 'Hello!'

anyways, I've looked at that sign on my way to work everyday since it closed --- "We Closed" is one of the funnier things i have ever seen .... I only looked in this tread to see if someone else has mentioned this...... Thanks PS3, this made my night/early morning!

mheaton76
01-13-2008, 07:00 PM
The Golden Corral on Main and I 35 in Norman is still open. It's not my cup of tea as far as culinary choices go, but I notice the parking lot is usually full...