View Full Version : Live Chat Room

Luke
10-19-2006, 08:16 PM
With so many online so often now, I think a chat room may be fun. I don't know exactly how that would work, but I've seen web based chat rooms before.

Admins, what do you think?

Spartan
10-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Those are easy peasy to install. We used to have one back in the day at OKC Talk.

bandnerd
10-19-2006, 08:20 PM
You sure about that? lol

Spartan
10-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Yup. I remember we had "organized" chats scheduled for every Monday night. This was waaay before most on this site joined.

bandnerd
10-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Was it like a little java chat? I've seen some other message boards with that kind of little java applet.

Spartan
10-19-2006, 08:30 PM
It was nicer than that, but yeah.

Here's a mod I found that's compatible with OKC Talk's version of software (note to Todd): SigmaChat Easy Install for 3.6 - vBulletin.org Forum (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117941)

We just put this on an American Urbanist forum I'm fixing to open in a week or so--we like it just fine. :)

Keith
10-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Was it like a little java chat? I've seen some other message boards with that kind of little java applet.
Yes, you actually had to make sure you had java applet downloaded on your system in order to participate in the chat. Todd actually had a link on this site for that certain type of download.

We did actually have a scheduled chat time. We had a forum wide chat open to everyone, and then we had a scheduled chat for singles only, which was moderated my mranderson. We had some great chats, however, it got to the point that fewer and fewer members joined in to the chats.

Who knows, Todd may bring it back if there are enough members interested. With Fall/Winter coming up, more people will be spending more times indoors, so a chat may be good to have.

Luke
10-20-2006, 05:34 AM
We did actually have a scheduled chat time. We had a forum wide chat open to everyone, and then we had a scheduled chat for singles only, which was moderated my mranderson. We had some great chats, however, it got to the point that fewer and fewer members joined in to the chats.

Oh yeah, now I remember.

I vote to bring it back.

:)

Luke
06-21-2009, 10:48 PM
So, how 'bout a chat room?

Thunder
06-22-2009, 02:37 AM
Yeah, I'd love a chat room!

gmwise
06-22-2009, 09:36 AM
no too many combative people on here as it is.
and I dont like the trouble of having to go and do someone in for being stupid. lol

venture
06-22-2009, 03:02 PM
If you think the politics forum gets ugly, a chat room would be completely unruly at times without strict moderation. Considering the hands off approach, I don't think this site is willing to provide the resources to moderate such an outlet. Not to mention, this site is hosted by a hosting company, so there are restrictions on bandwidth usage and such that will come into play.

Martin
06-22-2009, 03:31 PM
so, how 'bout a chat room?

when the site had one it was rarely used... -M

gmwise
06-22-2009, 03:35 PM
when the site had one it was rarely used... -M

Thank Budda

kevinpate
06-23-2009, 05:36 AM
chat rooms ... more proof that everything old can be new again

Actually, certain threads here are active enough they have a chatroom feel to them

nik4411
06-24-2009, 09:38 PM
I remember when I was about 13 or 14, going to my older brothers house and using his computer with my cousin, and getting on aol chatrooms and messing with people and trying to "talk" to girls, for some reason it was a lot of fun b/c it was sort of a new thing to us.

Luke
06-25-2009, 07:04 AM
chat rooms ... more proof that everything old can be new again

Actually, certain threads here are active enough they have a chatroom feel to them

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It would be nice, too, sometimes just to all get together at scheduled times, maybe, and just chat.

You know, to bring the family even closer together.

;)

dalelakin
07-04-2009, 08:54 AM
The Chat Shack Network - Build Your Own Free Chat Rooms, No Website Required! (http://www.chatshack.net/)

Set it up there, then set a time and date and start a thread inviting people to join. That is how a few of the other boards I frequent do it. For some reason chat rooms open a site up to hackers more so? Not sure of how that matters but on a different site it has been hacked twice in 10 years and both times it came through the chat room so it was removed and has not been a problem since.

possumfritter
07-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Forget the Chat Rooms. I say bring back the Party Lines from the days of old...those were fun!

Bunty
07-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah, you don't hear the word "eavesdrop" any more and haven't in a long time.

Before the phone lines went digital I remember the beep line. This is where you would dial your own number and between the busy beeps try to talk to someone you didn't know. To many users, it was a way to pick someone up whether you were gay or straight. Sometimes there would be beep line parties in which the beep liners would hold a party at a park to find out how each other looked like. One beep liner girl I knew of even married someone she met on the beep line, but not me. She was too dang fat.

Another beep line was where you would just dial one number and wait for a half minute when two beeps would start followed by a short pause and repeated. But the operator would get on and ask people to hang up because they were overloading the phone lines. Seems like the phone company had a lot more control over that one.

gmwise
07-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Forget the Chat Rooms. I say bring back the Party Lines from the days of old...those were fun!

Once the phone company connected my grandmother phone to 4 other houses on the block, mind you she paid for a private line.
And there was a boy who was apparently making a date with a married woman....(yup and those students and teachers think they're new at it).
Anyways my uncle caught all kinds of hell , was interrogated by my granddad,because grandma thought it was him.
BTW he married a older woman by 2 years. It was a family joke for a long time. lol

demoman2k10
12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Ever wished you could Chatlive for FREE with others from Oklahoma?
A group of us decided to create a LIVE GROUP for just that reason.

Oklahoma Hangout, it's a Google Party Chat group.

If you would like access:
1. Create a Gmail account
2. Grab a copy of Google talk
3. Toss me your gmail email for an invite.

Several of us are there daily and enjoy visiting with all.

Drop me a line at demolitionman2k8@gmail.com for the INVITE!! It's FREE and there is NO COST and if your looking for a place with Real folks from Oklahoma in Realtime chat it's the place to be.

It's a good place until the Owners here set up some other location.