View Full Version : Primo's going in on 240 & Walker

Easy180
10-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Got an email from a friend that lives in Yukon saying she heard they are putting a third restaurant there...Seems kind of weird since it would be right across the street from Johnny Carinos

Anyone else heard this??...If you haven't tried it they do have good Italian food

Spartan
10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Where did Yukon Friend here this?

Martin
10-17-2006, 08:42 PM
easy180,
that's exactly the first thing i thought when i read your title... seems odd putting another italian restaurant across the street from carino's.

i hadn't heard a thing about this... in fact, i thought the rumor was that friday's would open up there. of course, that was just a rumor, too. -M

Spartan
10-17-2006, 09:03 PM
The other Johhny Carino's I've been in (unfortunately) was located about half a mile from an Olive Garden on Ed Noble...

Martin
10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
hmmm... i actually like carino's better than olive garden... (and there's one of those on on i-240 and penn) -M

Easy180
10-17-2006, 09:32 PM
It seemed to be an announcement from Primo's...Actually emailed it to me at work so I will dig it up and copy it on here

Spartan
10-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Well there is room. A development company (name escapes me at the moment) is redeveloping Towne South there in a big way, and Phase II is starting up, but it should just be a strip. Would a Primo's be inclined to take space in a strip?

Also, it sorta begs the question, why southside? Why not Edmond or Norman? If they are so great.

Martin
10-18-2006, 06:16 AM
and phase II is starting up, but it should just be a strip.
are you saying that the plan is to put in a strip just north of the old bingo hall? -M

Easy180
10-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Here is the response from my friend who eats there all the time in Yukon

I believe I-240 & Walker is correct - not exactly sure where tho They said it has been pushed back to January opening b/c of building codes, kitchen remodel, etc.

The entrance will have a 'leaning tower of pisa' so big you can see it from I-240

It must be going in the strip center where Pratt's used to be...Either they got a great deal or they aren't worried about competing w/ Carino's I guess

Martin
10-18-2006, 09:35 AM
it must be going in the strip center where pratt's used to be...
but that strip's long gone. the only strip i know of that's in existence is the former bingo hall (it hurts even saying that word) that is just to the south. it has looked as if some work has been done to it... added windows, etc. otherwise, this would be totally new construction that (to the best of my knowledge) hasn't begun yet. -M

Easy180
10-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Looking off of 240 it appears there is a new strip going in where Pratt's was matching the one on the north end of the parking lot...Maybe I am just seeing the bingo place, but it looks new driving by at 65 mph

Martin
10-18-2006, 09:49 AM
the bingo hall is a fairly new concrete building and used to be more obscured from 240 when the pratt's strip was up... it's basically a big grey box and doesn't really match the new strip that hooked up to the old taco cabana (sure wish somebody would move in there). but who knows, it's been maybe a week or two since i exited onto walker so maybe something has been started in the meantime.

...and at first glance i thought you meant doing 65mph on walker! -M

NE Oasis
10-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Also, it sorta begs the question, why southside? Why not Edmond or Norman? If they are so great.[/QUOTE]

Hate to restart historical arguments, but South OKC is not just for hicks anymore. Disclaimer: I live in an unincorporated pocket of Oklahoma County (NE part of metro), work near Will Rogers airport, worship in Edmond, shop everywhere). With Edmond bumping into Guthrie, far SW OKC is a BOOMING area.

CMSturgeon
03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
I assume it's Primo's building that they are working on right now. Do they usually look like an old ruin? They've put an antique looking faux finish on the exterior walls and have made it look as if part of the building wall is cracked and falling a bit. I've never even seen a Primo's before so I'm just guessing, but obviously that would make sense. That parking lot is going to be so cramped when that opens, especially on Sundays, when C.E.C. is the hot spot.

metro
03-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Yes, then that should be a Primo's. I believe they are basically the same only better but are part of the Bravo Cucina chain.

Martin
03-28-2007, 05:17 PM
actually, i've seen a handmade sign for the construction crew in front of the 'old ruin' building that said 'city bites'... so i think it's going to be that. i can see that broken pillar fitting in with the style of some of their other establishments. the rumor i've heard is that primo's is taking over the former shorty small's location... -M

Easy180
03-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Wife's business banker partner told her they are going in the Shorty Small's location...Guess my prediction is coming true, but I'm wondering what happened to the original deal...That had to have fell thru if they are taking Shorty Small's spot

CMSturgeon
03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
City bites would make sense. The one theyre building in Moore looks like it may have the same look going on.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes, then that should be a Primo's. I believe they are basically the same only better but are part of the Bravo Cucina chain.

No.. they are a locally owned company. From what I understand, they grown their own produce and most thier ingredients come from right here in Oklahoma.

PRIMO'S D' ITALIA (http://primositalian.com)

They list the south location on the to-go menu. I noticed they provide hotel delivery. Imagine that. All you romantics should take note of that. If you treat your special someone to an occasional hotel stay and they love Primo's you may have the perfect night right there.

http://primositalian.com/acrobat/primostogo.pdf

SoonerDave
03-29-2007, 06:48 AM
Ironically enough, there's another thread on this (from the opposite direction, re Short Smalls closing, here. (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/9243-shorty-smalls-i-240-closed.html) Primo's is, indeed, taking over the spot vacated (mercifully) by Shorty Smalls.

The Pratt's grocery store/strip center was torn down well over a year ago. The Bingo Hall, thankfully, has moved, and the building is being redeveloped into a mixed-used business center, including a Bistro-type restaurant on one corner. A new, free-standing location will host a small medical facility and a relocated City Bites restauarant (moved from their to-be-closed location north of I-240 on the west side of Western).

From what I've heard, Primo's is not afraid to compete with Carino's.

As far as why Primo's would locate "southside" in preference to Edmond or other northside location...as a "southsider," I ask....what's wrong with that? Do only "northsiders" appreciate a nice restaurant? Sorry, I forgot, everyone south of Reno is just a hayseed....Just curious about the motivations while I scoop some breakfast leftovers out of my neighbor's trash.....

-soonerdave

mranderson
03-29-2007, 07:15 AM
"As far as why Primo's would locate "southside" in preference to Edmond or other northside location...as a "southsider," I ask....what's wrong with that? Do only "northsiders" appreciate a nice restaurant? Sorry, I forgot, everyone south of Reno is just a hayseed....Just curious about the motivations while I scoop some breakfast leftovers out of my neighbor's trash....."

I agree to a large degree. I remember when the southside was shut out totally. 15 years ago, the southside would not have even gotten a Best Buy, and now it gets nearly everything the northside does.

The mind set was southside no money at all, northside all money. Not true. Even in the 60's, there was a great deal of money south.

I truly feel the Oklahoma City chamber of commerce was prejusdist against south Oklahoma City. Why? Simple. They rarely, if ever, promoted anything except north. I remember when I went to work at Oreck in 1997. The franchise owner told me the chamber had told him the busiest corner in Oklahoma City was May and Hefner. It was a crock then, and even more so now. There is a lot more traffic at the intersection of I-240 and Pennsylvania than there ever was at May and Hefner. His second store was Norman because the chamber told him the best suburb was Norman. Guess what? A short two years later, that store Oreck opened in Norman closed. Guess where it is now? South Oklahoma City. So much for the chamber.

Is there a lot of hicks south? Yes. More than north. However, some of those hicks have money and they like spending it.

Now a question. Yesterday, I saw a sign indicating a new location for Bob Moore Ford. The late Southwest Ford built the new location at I-240 and I-35 about five years ago. Why is Moore moving? Is it in the path of the new interchange?

CMSturgeon
03-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Isn't that Five Star Ford now? Or was it? Or is that the same thing? Haha, I don't pay too much attention. I wish they were using the land at 89th & the service road for restaurants but Bob Moore Ford will be better than nothing. The saddest part is they'll be pushing so many creatures out of their natural habitat.... bums that is.

SoonerDave
03-29-2007, 01:20 PM
I truly feel the Oklahoma City chamber of commerce was prejusdist against south Oklahoma City.

I agree. That prejudice lead, in no small measure, to the creation of the South Oklahoma City Chamber. However, I think someone who was responsible for a great overhaul of how Oklahoma City in general treats south Oklahoma City in particular is the late Harold McEwen, former Ward 5 councilman, who stood up for S. OKC more than anyone I can recall.

. The late Southwest Ford built the new location at I-240 and I-35 about five years ago.

Not quite. Fred Jones built that location sometime around '98-'99 to become what Ford was a "premeire" (forget the precise term) series of dealerships in the OKC area, but also had some sort of special affiliation with Ford Motor Company. This was, if I'm not mistaken, one of those goofy things that ol' Jacques Nasser tried to do to resurrect Ford's crumbled image - short of actually trying to build better cars. It got Ford in trouble with its "non-affiliated" dealerships, because they correctly perceived that they were indirectly competing for sales against the manufacturer, who was giving perhaps GREAT price preference to this new breed of "elite" affiliated dealerships.

The elite dealership idea failed miserably, and the individual dealerships in the chain were sold off. That particular dealership at I-240 west of I-35 has been perhaps three different names since that Jones concept dealership went south. I can't imagine ANYTHING being successful there; it's a horrendous location for a car dealership, seems to me.

Now, having said all that, let me apologize for the topic drift. Lost sight of the fact this is a thread about Primo's on I-240. Sorry!

-SoonerDave

mranderson
03-29-2007, 03:03 PM
I agree. That prejudice lead, in no small measure, to the creation of the South Oklahoma City Chamber. However, I think someone who was responsible for a great overhaul of how Oklahoma City in general treats south Oklahoma City in particular is the late Harold McEwen, former Ward 5 councilman, who stood up for S. OKC more than anyone I can recall.

Not quite. Fred Jones built that location sometime around '98-'99 to become what Ford was a "premeire" (forget the precise term) series of dealerships in the OKC area, but also had some sort of special affiliation with Ford Motor Company. This was, if I'm not mistaken, one of those goofy things that ol' Jacques Nasser tried to do to resurrect Ford's crumbled image - short of actually trying to build better cars. It got Ford in trouble with its "non-affiliated" dealerships, because they correctly perceived that they were indirectly competing for sales against the manufacturer, who was giving perhaps GREAT price preference to this new breed of "elite" affiliated dealerships.

The elite dealership idea failed miserably, and the individual dealerships in the chain were sold off. That particular dealership at I-240 west of I-35 has been perhaps three different names since that Jones concept dealership went south. I can't imagine ANYTHING being successful there; it's a horrendous location for a car dealership, seems to me.

Now, having said all that, let me apologize for the topic drift. Lost sight of the fact this is a thread about Primo's on I-240. Sorry!

-SoonerDave

A bit more of a drift for a moment. I had forgotten the year the dealership moved, however, Southwest DID build it. It was labeled Southwest Ford, however, the Oklahoma City ford dealers bought the dealership just after it moved and renamed it. The Southwest sign was on it for a short time. It then became Oklahoma City Collection (or similar), then Five Star, then Bob Moore.

Now back to regular programing.

CMSturgeon
03-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Now back to regular programing.

OK, so now it doesnt look like an antique finish, just a tan color but still has the crack and looks like part of the wall is peeling off. The other side of the building looked like a nice moulding that has made me think of roman ruins but now they've done something to really take the elegance away.... painted it maybe? Anyway, if that isnt Primos there better be more than one business in there because it's way too big for City Bites.

Martin
03-29-2007, 05:23 PM
there was a second tenant listed on the sign i saw a couple weeks ago... can't remember who, though. -M

oldglory
03-30-2007, 08:30 AM
OK, so now it doesnt look like an antique finish, just a tan color but still has the crack and looks like part of the wall is peeling off. The other side of the building looked like a nice moulding that has made me think of roman ruins but now they've done something to really take the elegance away.... painted it maybe? Anyway, if that isnt Primos there better be more than one business in there because it's way too big for City Bites. It is a City Bites......

SoonerDave
03-30-2007, 08:54 AM
It is absolutely a City Bites. The faux cracked finish is very typical of City Bites style. Besides, the permit sign that was posted in front of the building when it was first under construction said "City Bites" on it....

:)
-soonerdave

Martin
03-30-2007, 08:58 AM
...but that sign also said something else, i think. anybody remember who the other tenant is? -M

oldglory
03-30-2007, 09:11 AM
I talk to the builder on a daily basis( he comes in for coffee). It is a City Bites!!!!!!

Martin
03-30-2007, 09:21 AM
i coulda swore it was going to be a city bites and something else... guess i'm wrong. -M

Easy180
03-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Has anyone heard anything about City Bites possibly going in here?? :Smiley127

SoonerDave
03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
The other tenant is a medical office/clinic.

-SoonerDave

oldglory
03-30-2007, 10:27 AM
The clinic is going to be in the old Bing-Go hall along with Jimmy's Egg and Casablanca, the City Bites is going in the stand alone building......

CMSturgeon
03-30-2007, 10:54 AM
The clinic is going to be in the old Bing-Go hall along with Jimmy's Egg and Casablanca, the City Bites is going in the stand alone building......

That building looks so huge for a City Bites! But I guess I hae only eaten there once and it was at the one there on 74th & Western in that shopping center. Do you all think it will get enough business to validate having such a large building?

oldglory
03-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Please forgive me I stand corrected........City Bites is on the East side of the building and there are two lease spots open on the west side of the building no word on whats going in yet.... City Bites only has half of the Building. Sorry for any confusion on the subject....

CMSturgeon
03-30-2007, 11:26 AM
OH, ok.

Haha

Martin
04-27-2007, 09:09 AM
just wanted to say that there's now a 'coming soon' sign hanging up for primo's over the door of the old shorty smalls building. -M

SoonerDave
04-27-2007, 02:24 PM
There's also a new permanent sign atop the pole over that shopping center; the one that used to to host the "Shorty Smalls" sign...now says "Primo's d'Italia"

-soonerdave (still looking for info about 89th and Western...)

Martin
04-27-2007, 03:01 PM
ha! i see the small sign and miss the big one. typical, typical. -M

Easy180
05-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Little info on Primo's for those that haven't eaten there..Alright you guys begging for local eateries...Time to step up...Good stuff

I highlighted the three most important words in the article :cheersmf:

By Sara Ganus

Business Writer

Primo's d'Italia, the homemade Italian restaurant that started in Yukon, will open a third location Monday in south Oklahoma City.

Although the restaurant, 518 W I-240 Service Road, is about the same size as the locations in Yukon and Midwest City — about 5,000 square feet — owner Jeff Havern said this location will have its own flair and ambiance.

"We really don't want these to be cookie cutter,” he said. "This one is very different. It is really cozy, has a warm feel to it, and it has a lot more art.”

Each Primo's restaurant features art by Italian sculptor Maurao Posabon.

Spokesman Michael Carnuccio said the new restaurant, which will seat 155, also will have a larger bar area compared to some of the other locations.

"People who have to work on the southside can go in and catch the game or have drinks, whereas the others were more focused on the dining facility itself,” he said.

But that's not to say this location has lost that focus.

"We're known for the food,” Havern said. "Everything we do, we make in-house, from the tiramisu to all the bread we bake every day; our dressings and all of our sauces we make in-house in kettles, hand-rolled meatballs — we're still doing it all.”

Havern opened his first Primo's restaurant in 2001 in a strip mall center and a stand-alone restaurant in Midwest City three years later.

After opening locations east and west of Oklahoma City, Havern said he was ready to open a third location after he noticed many customers weren't necessarily coming from those communities.

"We had a lot of people driving over to our Yukon location and our Midwest City location really begging us to come south,” he said.

"Our No. 1 Zip Code in Yukon on the weekends is not within a five-mile radius. It's been pretty interesting because it's all south, and it's Edmond.”

Havern said he hopes to open a smaller restaurant later this year or in early 2008 with either north Oklahoma City or Edmond as the next logical place.

"We're not in a huge hurry to grow,” he said. "We want to really do it the right way and really absorb ourselves in whatever community that we're in.

"It's important to us that we don't focus on the growth so much that we lose that family perspective or community perspective.”

Southside Primo's hours are 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Sunday.

Easy180
05-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Just had lunch there and to avoid boring everyone I will just say it was just as I remembered...Excellent

Wife had the chicken marsala and I had Chicken Diablo (Spicy)...Both were very good and we both had a lot leftover...If you are a tomato fan I would highly recommend the Tomato and Mozzarella salad (Can't remember the name)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-29-2007, 04:16 AM
I highlighted the three most important words in the article :cheersmf:

I like the way you think sir.

metro
05-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Just had lunch there and to avoid boring everyone I will just say it was just as I remembered...Excellent

Wife had the chicken marsala and I had Chicken Diablo (Spicy)...Both were very good and we both had a lot leftover...If you are a tomato fan I would highly recommend the Tomato and Mozzarella salad (Can't remember the name)

Haven't been to Primo's but these are usually called "ensalata caprese"

Easy180
05-29-2007, 08:41 AM
That's probably it metro...Have had that salad at several places, but rarely pay attention to the actual name...It was good, but the best I've had was at Deep Fork

Martin
06-03-2007, 03:18 PM
tried out primo's today. the interior has been changed drastically from the former shorty smalls... interior walls have been added so that the place is no longer one big dining room. the service was good... the staff was attentive and friendly.

the food, however, was not impressive at all. the caesar salad had little flavor... i suspect that the lettuce wasn't sufficiently dried off after rinsing so that the dressing was entirely too watery and without flavor.

i ordered chicken marsala for my main course... it was just entirely off, in my opinion. it wasn't horrible, but it just wasn't chicken marsala. the chicken was overcooked and hadn't been allowed to braise in the marsala sauce as it is supposed to. whatever wine was used in the sauce didn't taste like marsala to me. it tasted as if the wine had been added at the last minute and not allowed to cook into the sauce; the effect being that it was entirely too overpowering. the pasta was covered with a different sauce... almost a gravy.

for dessert, i had tiramisu. the plating was nice, but the presentation of the dessert itself was underwhelming. it was just a two-layer tiramisu, so it had little height to it at all, looking kinda pathetic on the huge plate it was served on. nitpicking aside, it didn't taste bad. i think they used rum extract instead of real rum. the custard was rich enough. altogether not the best or worst tiramisu i've had.

i'll give the place another try... but i don't think i'll be ordering their take on chicken marsala. -M

btw... when leaving, i noticed that the sign for jimmy's egg is up on the building just south of primo's. at one point their was a temporary coming soon sign for a place called ricky's grill and bar, though i failed to see it today.

SoonerDave
06-04-2007, 07:14 AM
My family went to Primo's on Sunday, and we were generally very pleased. I think in general our experience was better than mmm's.

We had only one important issue; our service time was entirely too long (35 minutes). After prodding, we found out that they had overcooked my wife's chicken and had prepared it again, stalling the rest of our meals.

I had a Caesar salad, and found the greens fresh, crisp, and the dressing very flavorful. My "Lasanga Roll" was very good, leaving me wishing they'd put that delightful sausage and cheese filling in a calzone. I do wish they'd have a more traditional casserole-style Lasagna on their menu, however.

As a way of making amends for the service times, we were given a free dessert - tira misu, which by the consensus at our table was very good, albeit a bit small.

Other dishes at our family table I got to sample:

- Spaghetti and meatballs - Meatballs were rich and flavorful, not spicy
- Grilled chicken with mushrooms - I hate mushrooms, but the chicken was good.

I don't normally get coffee with a meal, but I did this time, and it was fresh, rich, and smooth.

All in all, although we had a service bump, they were very apologetic and eager to correct it, and the rest of the meal was very good. I'd recommend Primo's to anyone. Our family will be going back.

-soonerdave

selk1
06-11-2007, 09:50 AM
My wife and I had lunch at Primo's last Friday. She enjoyed the Italian Feast and
I had the Italian sausage panino sandwich. The sandwich was so hot, I burned
my mouth on the first bite. After my ability to taste returned, I found the sausage had a good favor. The pasta was a little rubbery. Wait staff were friendly and attentive. I will give it another visit.

What are the plans for the old Taco Cabana next door? It seems there is no alternative other than to demolish it.