View Full Version : Downtown Update from downtownguy

Patrick
10-15-2004, 12:07 AM
http://www.downtownguy.blogspot.com/

"And now for some downtown Oklahoma City news….
Expect a significant shake up soon in downtown real estate…. the future is looking very promising … “streetscaping” of Northwest Fifth Street has begun … IHOP is coming to Bricktown, but maybe not where we first thought … the Deep Deuce Grill has new owners … goodbye George and Darrell, hello Will … work is underway again on that funky little building sandwiched between Lit and the Bricktown Parking Garage … when it comes to interior décor, this future deli and bar will be so different from anything we have now that it may end up being a potential tourist destination."

Hmmmm...wonder where that IHOP is going? Sure would be nice if they located in one of the old historic buildings, but I highly doubt that. Obviously, downtownguy says it's not going where we first though......next to the gasoline station across from Bass Pro.

mranderson
10-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Next to the service station is good. Both are needed there.

After the service station was first discussed, something came to mind. Downtown Oklahoma City has NO service stations. Most major cities have at least one.

It and the IHOP will bring tourists and passers through who might just stay a little longer and look around.

floater
10-15-2004, 08:24 PM
I still think it's a bad move. Not so much the restaurant itself, but its look. It better have some brick if it's not inside a warehouse.

Luke
10-15-2004, 11:43 PM
There are rules for building in bricktown. It will be a unique IHOP if they build new. Of course if they set up shop in a warehouse that would be cool.

floater
10-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I know. I'm just carrying a lot pessimism from what I see is a diluting suburbanization of Bricktown. I have to keep reminding myself to be satisfied that at least something is happening...

Patrick
10-17-2004, 12:25 AM
The new gasoline station is made of clay tiles that look very much like brick. So if a new IHOP is built, I'm guessing it would blend in. I'm still hoping for a warehouse location though.....maybe where Taste of China used to be!!! We used to have an IHOP downtown...Big Ed's was there in their old location until St. Anthony Hospital recently started their expansion program. I'm guessing the old IHOP building will be leveled to make way for more St. Anthony Hospital. Anyhow, I'd be all for an IHOP if it fits in. We could use a breakfast place in Bricktown. Of course I'd prefer something more local, like Madison's Pancake House at NW Expressway and Independence (if you haven't tried it, it's yummy!), but IHOP isn't bad. The more urban it appears the better. You know, ther'e nothing wrong with chains in Bricktown....in fact a lot of downtowns have chains, they just fit into the existing storefronts of the downtown buildings. That's what really needs to happen here.

Luke
10-17-2004, 08:08 AM
By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the Taste of China building is now occupied by Wild Coyote...yes, another bar/club.

floater
10-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Yeah, we do need a breakfast place for Bricktown. I would argue that it should be closer to either Deep Deuce or the CBD, though. But if the news is that it's not located in a place where we originally thought, then it indeed could be a good thing.

By the way, anybody know what this Wild Coyote bar is like? Anything like the Coyote Ugly joints?

Luke
10-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Haven't been to the Wild Coyote, but heard an ad on the radio. Sounds like a copy of Coyote Ugly where girls dance on the bar and serve the drinks.

downtownguy
10-17-2004, 03:47 PM
It is a Coyote Ugly copycat. And the location is unpopular with other Bricktown property owners and merchants, who have been happy with Jim Brewer's efforts to move the club area further east on Sheridan. And for those of you who think the Bricktown Urban Design Commission can't be circumvented, just look at the old Taste of China building or the entrance to City Walk.

The McLains are not the most popular owners in Bricktown right now.

Patrick
10-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the update on the Wild Coyote! I wasn't aware it filled the old Taste of China Building. Anyways, I'm glad this space is filled, but as downtownguy says, I question the location. Seems like most of the bars and clubs better fit east of restaurant row.

I'm sad that Taste of China went out, but at least they were there long enough to convert the space from warehousde to restaurant use! That seems to be the most costly project to reviving Bricktown warehouses.