View Full Version : Electric Guitar Lessons?

Karried
06-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know where my son can take Electric Guitar lessons in Edmond? He is 13 and takes Violin so it shouldn't be too difficult to get him started.

I know Edmond Music offers lessons but does anyone have experience with this?

bandnerd
06-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Check into UCO. Several of their adjunct private lessons teachers who teach the university students also teach younger students on the side for extra cash. Also, UCO students themselves often offer very cheap but good lessons to the kiddos. I taught private lessons all through college. Just call up the university, get the music office, and ask for the number of any guitar teachers. You can speak with them about electric vs. acoustic and so forth.

Good luck! And buy some earplugs for yourself ;)

Karried
06-16-2006, 05:07 PM
tee hee, earplugs it is! thanks Bandnerd!

I will call Monday since I'm thinking no one will be there this weekend. That's a good idea. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you have an idea what an hour of private lessons might cost? Or is it 1/2 hour?

bandnerd
06-16-2006, 07:53 PM
College students will charge anywhere from $10-15 per 30 minute lesson. Anyone with a music degree can charge more. Some prefer to charge by the month (I prefer this) but you essentially get the same rate.

Going through a business, like Edmond Music, may cost you more, because the teacher may have to put some of the money they earn towards renting a room there, etc. I taught in a performing arts studio making $10/hr for lessons, instead of the $12.50/30 minutes I make now. And yes, I'm cheaper because I have a soft spot for the kids who can't afford expensive lessons ;) Just a little caveat.

If none of the teachers at UCO can help, you can ask if they can direct you to someone who can, and I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige!

drumsncode
06-30-2006, 10:23 AM
As someone who has both taught and received lessons, it dawned on me you should consider buying some of the really good DVD instructional packages they have today. This stuff didn't exist decades ago when I could have used it.

They have a lot of advantages, particularly cost and convenience. Go up to Guitar Center on May and snoop around.

Karried
06-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks! We did have our first lesson today.. I'm still trying to figure out if it is going to be a good thing or not.. what was funny is that we were told to go out and buy a book with an instructional DVD included.. I laughed to myself thinking , well, why am I paying you? LOL .. probably a supplement but I thought it was funny that you mentioned it!

My 8 year old hasn't stopped pounding his practice drum pad for hours.. neither has my head!