View Full Version : IKEA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

kevinpate
07-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Not a thing wrong with oak.

redrunner
07-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Can Pete or a mod please change the misleading title of this thread? IKEA is not coming to OKC.

bchris02
07-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Can Pete or a mod please change the misleading title of this thread? IKEA is not coming to OKC.

I agree. If there is one coveted retailer I never expect to come to OKC or even Tulsa any time soon it is IKEA. Costco, Trader Joe's and H-E-B will probably be here first.

Dustin
07-11-2013, 09:08 PM
I forgot this was an old thread, saw the title, and freaked! I though we were getting one. Darn.

TAlan CB
07-11-2013, 09:13 PM
I agree. If there is one coveted retailer I never expect to come to OKC or even Tulsa any time soon it is IKEA. Costco, Trader Joe's and H-E-B will probably be here first.

Generally I agree, Ikea will not be coming to OKC. But it was pointed out that Ikea does not like metro area beneath 2 million. I use to shop at the Ikea in Charlotte and it is definately beneath 2 million. But I realized that the Triad cities (Winston-Salem, Greensboro) were less than a 100 miles away and their combined population was around 8-900,000. That combine with the small metros across the border in S.C. made Charlotte an acceptable location. The same senerio exist in Oklahoma. Between Tulsa and OKC, the combined population is well over 2 million. Not to mention Witchita just over the border in Kansas. Put an Ikea at the Turnpike terminus in OKC, and it would not be much different from where the Ikea was located in Charlotte. People will drive. I lived 160 miles away in Raleigh/Durham ("Triangle") and would shop there - usually had other reasons to be there, and would stop by.

bchris02
07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Generally I agree, Ikea will not be coming to OKC. But it was pointed out that Ikea does not like metro area beneath 2 million. I use to shop at the Ikea in Charlotte and it is definately beneath 2 million. But I realized that the Triad cities (Winston-Salem, Greensboro) were less than a 100 miles away and their combined population was around 8-900,000. That combine with the small metros across the border in S.C. made Charlotte an acceptable location. The same senerio exist in Oklahoma. Between Tulsa and OKC, the combined population is well over 2 million. Not to mention Witchita just over the border in Kansas. Put an Ikea at the Turnpike terminus in OKC, and it would not be much different from where the Ikea was located in Charlotte. People will drive. I lived 160 miles away in Raleigh/Durham ("Triangle") and would shop there - usually had other reasons to be there, and would stop by.

Yeah I agree. If IKEA was to open in Oklahoma though it would probably be in Tulsa rather than OKC. I hate to say it but Tulsa usually gets the better retail.

And I used to live in Charlotte and loved going to IKEA.

PhiAlpha
07-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Yeah I agree. If IKEA was to open in Oklahoma though it would probably be in Tulsa rather than OKC. I hate to say it but Tulsa usually gets the better retail.

I honestly don't think so. Given OKC's central location, the markets it could serve within a drivable distance, its elevated profile, and greater population, no way ikea would go to Tulsa first. Tulsa has one interstate in and one out.

bombermwc
07-12-2013, 06:44 AM
I'm sorry but who buys oak furniture anymore? What is this 1998?

Anyone that buys something at a traditional furniture store, that's who. Maybe you've heard of a little company called Mathis Brothers....or Galleria? How about Bob Mills? What do you think the stuff is made out of? Sure as crap isn't laminated plywood with a vanier. Maybe Pine or White Oak. The point is, it's not crappy flat-box, screw-together plywood like at Ikea....or anything else that comes in a flat box.

But thanks for playing.

warreng88
07-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Split the difference: put it in Stroud where the old outlet mall used to be...

kevinpate
07-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Was the outlet mall by Stroud ever wildly popular? Would probably make more sense to plop it at the edge of Sapulpa or East Edmond if it wasn't going directly into OKC or T-Town

Snowman
07-12-2013, 10:03 AM
It seemed like there was always some there but I don't think I ever saw it full or even close to what the new one has daily, except when some large mall wide promotion was cutting all the prices.

Strowd was not as good as having it in either city years ago, other between locations have been on a serious decline without the dramatic destruction. Today the location is probably even less appealing with higher gas prices and competition from the Internet.

venture
07-12-2013, 10:20 AM

Just reported the thread to change the subject to "Could IKEA ever come to OKC?" which is probably much more fitting...for a thread started in 2006. LOL

Rover
07-12-2013, 04:32 PM

No. OKC location would draw from Tulsa, Wichita, Ft. Smith, Lawton, Amarillo. Tulsa from OKC and Fayeteville and Ft. Smith primarily. Wichita will go to OKC or KC to shop. OKC goes to Dallas.

Spartan
07-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Anyone that buys something at a traditional furniture store, that's who. Maybe you've heard of a little company called Mathis Brothers....or Galleria? How about Bob Mills? What do you think the stuff is made out of? Sure as crap isn't laminated plywood with a vanier. Maybe Pine or White Oak. The point is, it's not crappy flat-box, screw-together plywood like at Ikea....or anything else that comes in a flat box.

But thanks for playing.

I'm surprised you always seem so uncouth and stressed out considering you get to live it up in your Bob Mills-decked abode with all your clashing wooden furniture, fluffy cushions, and frilly window treatments.

bombermwc
07-16-2013, 07:05 AM
I made my own window treatments thank you very much. :)

Mike_M
07-23-2013, 09:37 AM
My wife is from New York and loves IKEA. A year ago I went with her for the first time and as soon as I walked in I just looked at her and said, 'ya... IKEA is never coming to OKC' lol. My whole life, OKC's residential market has been completely suburban, mostly because our urban core was a total joke and there was no reason to live downtown.

But now with places like the Hill, Level, and all the other downtown residences, not to mention midtown and the surrounding area being filled faster than they can expand, you're going to see more minimalist furniture stores like IKEA moving into the market. Mathis Bros will still dominate the market for the foreseeable future, but I can see modern furniture moving up pretty soon. I would say Container Store would have to move in and be successful before we see an IKEA though.

bombermwc
07-25-2013, 06:31 AM
I've found some pretty neat stuff at the Container Store. They do seem to often be close by an Ikea for some reason. LOL. They're a bit pricey for what you're getting, but it's sort of a specialty place anyway.

ryanosu
09-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Wanted to point out that Ikea now charges a base $99 for furniture shipping to OKC (at least 73131 zip) - this is down from $299 they charged a couple of months ago. The shipping does get ratcheted up if you order a lot of stuff, but it's pretty reasonable - especially when you consider they're not collecting sales tax.

They have also greatly expanded the furniture selection available for online shopping. Ironically, the selection for smaller items (that would easily ship UPS/FedEx) is still somewhat lacking.

BG918
11-29-2013, 09:07 PM
IKEA building their first St Louis area store. It will be the 39th in the U.S.
Ikea to announce St. Louis location : Business (http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ikea-to-announce-st-louis-location-sources-say/article_a8811372-30d0-537e-a575-6fac362c8463.html)

bchris02
11-29-2013, 09:15 PM
IKEA building their first St Louis area store. It will be the 39th in the U.S.
Ikea to announce St. Louis location : Business (http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ikea-to-announce-st-louis-location-sources-say/article_a8811372-30d0-537e-a575-6fac362c8463.html)

I am really surprised St. Louis didn't already have a store. They are much larger than Kansas City, which has a store.

On a side note, is there any city the size of OKC that has an IKEA? Louisville, Richmond, and Memphis don't even have one, which are all cities most comparable to OKC but have done better in attracting national retail than we have. Cincinatti and Charlotte do, but they are both almost twice the size of OKC and I think they are on the smaller end of cities that do have a store.

My opinion is that an IKEA would be nice, but chances are slim that it would happen in OKC. Too many larger, more attractive markets are still without a store. There are other retailers this city could support and should have but for some reason doesn't i.e. Costco, Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel, the Container Store, Urban Outfitters, etc.

BG918
11-29-2013, 09:25 PM
What's surprising is that it's going in St Louis, and not one of the western suburbs where most of this type of retail is located.

bluedogok
11-29-2013, 10:53 PM
What's surprising is that it's going in St Louis, and not one of the western suburbs where most of this type of retail is located.
The City of St. Louis must have provided some incentives, that seems to be why they are built where they are now as was the case with Centennial, Round Rock and Frisco. The one in Houston (actually City of Houston) has been there a long time and I think it may be a franchise or something because the ads state often that prices may vary in Houston.

flintysooner
11-30-2013, 07:57 AM
IKEA and furniture chains like Ethan Allen will discover they are dinosaurs in the next decade. Why would I choose furniture that comes in the wrong size, with the wrong finishes and limited choices, isn't customizable, isn't personal, and is constructed by someone I've never met?

The Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for Innovation in the New World of Crafters, Hackers, and Tinkerers by Mark Hatch.

Snowman
11-30-2013, 08:12 AM
IKEA and furniture chains like Ethan Allen will discover they are dinosaurs in the next decade. Why would I choose furniture that comes in the wrong size, with the wrong finishes and limited choices, isn't customizable, isn't personal, and is constructed by someone I've never met?

The Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for Innovation in the New World of Crafters, Hackers, and Tinkerers by Mark Hatch.

While I can see some items market shrinking if if tools like 3D printing or other things get both cheaper to buy, operate and use; there will often be people not wanting to put up with the hassle or expend the time.

When I think about most crafters I know who have the skills to make cloths, blankets or other things, they will not make the majority of items they have in the house. Feature items around the house and embellishments on purchased basic items are much more common due to it is not worth the time to do it entirely themselves for everything.

CuatrodeMayo
11-30-2013, 08:23 AM
The majority of the furniture in my home I made myself. True story.

flintysooner
11-30-2013, 08:44 AM
While I can see some items market shrinking if if tools like 3D printing or other things get both cheaper to buy, operate and use; there will often be people not wanting to put up with the hassle or expend the time.

When I think about most crafters I know who have the skills to make cloths, blankets or other things, they will not make the majority of items they have in the house. Feature items around the house and embellishments on purchased basic items are much more common due to it is not worth the time to do it entirely themselves for everything.Hatch (and others) believe that the so-called Maker culture is the next big thing and will surpass both the pc and Internet. It's not that an individual will make everything for their own use but that with the widespread availability of tools, technology, knowledge, and access to distribution that individual consumers will be able to more easily pair with small producers.

Think of the changes in the music industry but magnified many times and across many different industries.

The Maker culture is quite broad and is just now at the beginning. So it takes some imagination to think about what may be in the future. And certainly there is going to be lots of opposition.

flintysooner
11-30-2013, 08:45 AM
The majority of the furniture in my home I made myself. True story.I believe you and I very much admire the idea of it as well.

hoya
11-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Because I just want a damn chair.

Dustin
04-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Yeah, Ikea was of course a bit of humor; probably the least likely of everything I mentioned, and definitely could not locate anywhere in this location. They make Sam's Clubs look small and cozy.

Which is sad because Ikea would kill here.

shawnw
04-09-2014, 02:05 AM
"Ikea you"

bchris02
04-09-2014, 06:44 AM
What is the smallest metro that IKEA is currently in? I think Salt Lake City has one but they pull far above their weight and also have a significantly larger CSA.

Urbanized
04-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Yeah, we're probably below the MSA population threshold for IKEA, but I agree with diggyba that it would likely kill here. Trendy and/or upscale retailers (yes, I know IKEA is not in any way upscale) are almost always floored by the response they get when locating here for the first time.

OKC metro residents are starving for shopping options, they will drive from all over, and they are voracious consumers. Unfortunately we are outliers when it comes to population/income density so when scouting location they tend to dismiss our city out-of-hand, which is a loss for them AND for us.

Rover
04-09-2014, 10:19 AM
It would be interesting to know what the customer count is for Oklahomans that shop at the north Texas Ikea.

adaniel
04-09-2014, 10:29 AM
^
I know of at least one delivery business that just does pick ups from IKEA to serve customers in Oklahoma, if that tells you anything. I forgot the name of it.

In any event, I highly doubt IKEA is coming to OKC anytime soon. Less to do with demographics and more to do with market size. They are just now getting around to putting a store in St Louis, which is more than double the population of OKC.

CuatrodeMayo
04-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Ikea would do well here if for no other reason than price. You can't buy household good that cheap even at Walmart.

warreng88
04-09-2014, 11:28 AM
I have always said it would go great in the UNP area of Norman if there was still room available or Covell and I-35 in Edmond. You would get all of Oklahoma's business plus the business of Arkansas, the eastern parts of Kansas and western parts of Missouri. The closest locations to them are Denver, Chicago or Indianapolis. I am pretty surprised KC doesn't have one since they would be kind of the center where people wouldn't have to travel more than five hours to get to a location.

bchris02
04-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I have always said it would go great in the UNP area of Norman if there was still room available or Covell and I-35 in Edmond. You would get all of Oklahoma's business plus the business of Arkansas, the eastern parts of Kansas and western parts of Missouri. The closest locations to them are Denver, Chicago or Indianapolis. I am pretty surprised KC doesn't have one since they would be kind of the center where people wouldn't have to travel more than five hours to get to a location.

I would say it would be a better fit on Kilpatrick Turnpike near the new Chisolm Creek development. An OKC IKEA would pull business from Tulsa and Wichita. Southern Oklahoma might as well go to DFW and its just as easy if not easier to get the DFW from the Little Rock metro as it is to OKC.

warreng88
04-09-2014, 11:55 AM
I would say it would be a better fit on Kilpatrick Turnpike near the new Chisolm Creek development. An OKC IKEA would pull business from Tulsa and Wichita. Southern Oklahoma might as well go to DFW and its just as easy if not easier to get the DFW from the Little Rock metro as it is to OKC.

Where were you thinking? Maybe to the area east of Western on the south side of the turnpike? I wouldn't be opposed to that, I just think a location right off I-35 would more easily serve more people traveling in from out of town.

Plutonic Panda
04-09-2014, 12:08 PM
I have always said it would go great in the UNP area of Norman if there was still room available or Covell and I-35 in Edmond. You would get all of Oklahoma's business plus the business of Arkansas, the eastern parts of Kansas and western parts of Missouri. The closest locations to them are Denver, Chicago or Indianapolis. I am pretty surprised KC doesn't have one since they would be kind of the center where people wouldn't have to travel more than five hours to get to a location.I think the best location for them would honestly be along Memorial Rd. on Kilpatrick, Fritts Farm or along I-35 in Norman by the airport.

Also, isn't KC getting an Ikea?

oklip955
04-09-2014, 12:23 PM

I'm posting to an earlier post. Who buys oak furnature today. Its me. I've had to look for used since I cannot find good quality oak new. I'm changing out stained pine trim for good red oak. I love it. I hate painted wood and the other looks (cheap quality stuff) that is in style now. I cannot belive all the plastic doors they are putting in homes today. Good quality doors are just about $5 more per door.

BG918
04-09-2014, 12:27 PM
I think the best location for them would honestly be along Memorial Rd. on Kilpatrick, Fritts Farm or along I-35 in Norman by the airport.

Yes, it is opening this fall on I-35 in Merriam, Kansas, about 10 miles from downtown Kansas City. For Tulsa that will be slighly closer than driving to Frisco (about 4 hours each way). St Louis is also building one. So all of Missouri and eastern/central Kansas will be within a 2-3 hour drive of IKEA, and central/southern Oklahoma is already within a 2-3 hour drive from Frisco.

warreng88
04-09-2014, 12:35 PM
I think the best location for them would honestly be along Memorial Rd. on Kilpatrick, Fritts Farm or along I-35 in Norman by the airport.

Don't know. Didn't see anything on their website.

amaesquire
04-10-2014, 06:03 AM
Kansas City is getting one -- it's already under construction and should open this fall.

Ikea appoints manager of new Merriam store - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/19/4834250/ikea-appoints-manager-of-new-merriam.html)

RodH
12-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Ikea announced this week that they will open a store in Memphis in the fall of 2016. The store will be located on 35 acres at I-40 and Germantown Parkway and will be 269,000 square feet. It will not be the largest nor the smallest Ikea in the country but is suppose to represent a new prototype for mid-sized cities. I think that this is good news for those who want Ikea to locate here. Memphis and OKC are almost the same size and OKC is growing faster. In the article I read the Ikea spokesperson kept repeating that the right location became available and that is why Memphis got their store now before Nashville.

bchris02
12-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Impressive. Memphis is an awesome city but it really surprises me they are getting IKEA before Nashville.

Hopefully if Oklahoma gets an IKEA it goes to OKC. If I was IKEA I would probably either try to go between Moore and Norman or on I-35 across from Frontier City.

bluedogok
12-17-2014, 07:50 PM
More than likely Memphis got it because of a better incentive package. That why they are in Frisco, Round Rock and Centennial and not Dallas, Austin or Denver.

zachj7
12-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Wow thats impressive. Memphis metro is like 1.4 million. I didn't know IKEA went into such small markets...

bchris02
12-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Wow thats impressive. Memphis metro is like 1.4 million. I didn't know IKEA went into such small markets...

The Memphis metro has 1.34 million people. OKC should pass it up within the next couple of years. It's a pretty impressive city though that pulls its weight.

Given OKC's history at attracting national retail I am not going to get too excited about the prospects of one here yet, but it's good to see them expanding into mid-size markets. As a single guy I love shopping at IKEA and did quite frequently when I lived in Charlotte.

Plutonic Panda
12-18-2014, 10:41 AM
The Memphis metro has 1.34 million people. OKC should pass it up within the next couple of years. It's a pretty impressive city though that pulls its weight.

Given OKC's history at attracting national retail I am not going to get too excited about the prospects of one here yet, but it's good to see them expanding into mid-size markets. As a single guy I love shopping at IKEA and did quite frequently when I lived in Charlotte.I believe OKC's metro is already at 1.4

zachj7
12-18-2014, 10:54 AM
You'd think St. Louis, Las Vegas, Indy, San Antonio would be higher on the list than OKC... or Memphis for that matter. I think IKEA in OKC is probably around 2020... Tulsa 2019 ;)

bchris02
12-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Memphis is the only major city in the Mid-South region and is the "city" for people in three different states. They don't have a Tulsa competing with them and larger cities are 3+ hours away in all directions. That creates quite a bit of appeal for retailers like IKEA that tend to thrive off regional draw.

I wonder if IKEA will end up in San Antonio at all being that they are in Austin.

stlokc
12-18-2014, 08:41 PM
There is an IKEA under construction in St. Louis. Interestingly, it's one of the few in America (from what I understand) that is going into an urban location. Near St. Louis University. Incentives a plenty.

bluedogok
12-18-2014, 09:25 PM
There is an IKEA under construction in St. Louis. Interestingly, it's one of the few in America (from what I understand) that is going into an urban location. Near St. Louis University. Incentives a plenty.
Pretty much the basis of the site selection process.

stlokc
12-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Yeah, especially so in St. Louis. When it became clear IKEA was looking here, the city moved heaven and earth to make sure it was located in an old, but gentrifying urban spot. It was a typical city vs. suburbs battle and it was a real coup for the city to land it. It helped tremendously that it's very near St. Louis Univ and Washington Univ, who together have about 30,000 students. It's actually in the "innovation district," live, work, play, all that.
I don't remember what the incentives were, but it's already paying dividends in terms of residential and retail development near the site.

Spartan
01-27-2015, 04:25 PM
The Stl project is really a game changer for ikea I think. The other urban loc that comes to mind is Atlantic Yards in ATL.

It was announced this week that Columbus is getting an ikea finally. So OKC certainly has to be on the next ten year list. Luckily I remember talking about ikea to OKC on the interwebs for the last fifteen years....

bchris02
01-27-2015, 04:35 PM
With Memphis getting one, OKC is certainly possible. I also think this is a retailer that will see OKC's larger market size as preferable over Tulsa's concentrated demographics.

venture
01-27-2015, 05:53 PM
The Stl project is really a game changer for ikea I think. The other urban loc that comes to mind is Atlantic Yards in ATL.

It was announced this week that Columbus is getting an ikea finally. So OKC certainly has to be on the next ten year list. Luckily I remember talking about ikea to OKC on the interwebs for the last fifteen years....

It is interesting that they were negotiating a land deal in Cleveland and now they are going to C-Bus instead. I wonder if Ohio might actually end up with 3 in the end.

Spartan
01-27-2015, 05:59 PM
So the Cleveland site was supposed to be the old American Greetings HQ in Brooklyn, and Brooklyn was (still is?) geared up with incentives. The Columbus site is Polaris (compare to Memorial Road on steroids). I'm wondering if it was a site consideration.

With Memphis getting one, OKC is certainly possible. I also think this is a retailer that will see OKC's larger market size as preferable over Tulsa's concentrated demographics.

It's a cheap retailer, plus Cleveland has higher incomes than Columbus, yet they went with the smaller metro that is more centrally located, with much higher growth.

Soonerinfiniti
10-13-2015, 04:53 PM
A second store in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? Grrr......

Ikea to build a store in Grand Prairie | | Dallas Morning News (http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/10/ikea-to-build-a-store-in-grand-prairie.html/)

Interesting they said they like one store per 2 million people. Doesn't look good for OKC......

bchris02
10-13-2015, 05:21 PM
A second store in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? Grrr......

Ikea to build a store in Grand Prairie | | Dallas Morning News (http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/10/ikea-to-build-a-store-in-grand-prairie.html/)

Interesting they said they like one store per 2 million people. Doesn't look good for OKC......

Oklahoma City is a smaller market than IKEA typically goes into. They are experimenting in Memphis with the possibility of entering smaller markets, though that store will be scaled down from a full-sized IKEA. If it does well, Oklahoma City could eventually be on the radar.