View Full Version : Edmond Traffic

brianinok
05-30-2006, 06:02 PM
After moving into Edmond about a month ago, I have figured something out. It takes 20 minutes to get anywhere-- the traffic is horrible. But, it is not that there are too many people who live there or that the roads aren't big enough to handle the traffic. The problem is traffic lights. I get caught at virtually every single light (especially at major intersections) every time I go out. Edmond needs to invest in better timing of their traffic lights. A person should not travel down 2nd or Broadway and get stuck at every light. If the city would set just Broadway and 2nd streets for 40 mph or something, it would cut down on traffic tremendously.

A good (although maybe extreme) example on this is Lawton. Every light is set for 36 mph. You can start at any end of Lawton on any road and go 36 mph and you will NEVER have to stop at a traffic light. It makes travelling through very quick. Why can't Edmond try something like this?

blabare
05-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Ugh... no offense... but the traffic in Edmond is nothing compared to suburbs in other metro areas. When I spend 45 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic driving 10 miles I will start complaining. ;)

Karried
05-31-2006, 07:34 AM
That's how I feel too.. coming from the Bay Area, it wasn't unusual to sit in traffic for an hour to go 20 miles.

But 2nd street is very busy with the college.. try to avoid that if you can. Broadway Extension is good once you get going. Yes, the lights change pretty frequently.. think about those wanting to get on the main roads.. they would have to sit and wait much longer if the lights were set for longer times.

Also a tip.. be careful speeding in Edmond - there are lots of police.

Rambo
05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Lights in Edmond aren't set on timers. They're set on sensors, that sense whether a vehincle is present.

Rambo
05-31-2006, 02:32 PM
By the way, living in Edmond sucks.

Karried
05-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Care to elaborate?

Rambo
05-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Getting to the city sucks. I'm not a fan of Broadway Extension, but that's really the only option. I-35 isn't centrally located enough.

Many people in Edmond are snobs. There's no mixture of classes. No mixture of races. How boring.

There's not much to do in Edmond. Everything is in Oklahoma City.

Edmond is the king of suburbia. How dull.

Traffic in and out of Edmond sucks.

The restaurants in Edmond aren't great, and the selection stinks.

The only thing good about Edmond is the schools. That's it.

brianinok
05-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Back to the subject at hand-- traffic IN Edmond.

I am simply saying that there would be less of a traffic problem if Edmond's traffic lights (I would just start with Broadway and 2nd) were set for certain mph rather than the current sensors.

I also don't like the argument that traffic isn't as bad as other places, so we don't need to worry about it. There is always room for improvement and we should always be working toward that. A 20 minute drive at 7pm from 15th and Santa Fe to Boulevard and 33rd is just rediculous, IMO.

blabare
05-31-2006, 07:59 PM
I agree with you there. I've just heard from too many people who have only lived in Edmond complaining about the horrible traffic. I think what Edmond needs is a main East - West highway with limited on-off access. The turnpike is too far south to do any good. Maybe Covell since Edmond is mostly growing to the north? With all of the growth its only going to get worse especially with all the 2 lane rds on the north side.

Patrick
05-31-2006, 11:20 PM
Just something else to encourage sprawl.

jbrown84
06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah just today I had to drive from my house in east Edmond down 2nd to the Post Office downtown. I was on the phone so I'm not positive, but I think I was stopped at every single light on 2nd, even the little ones like at Target/Walmart.

Karried
06-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Rambo, just because Edmond isn't exciting for you doesn't mean it sucks for others living here. Your broad statements are a little insulting. I live in Edmond & I'm not a snob. We have tons of restaurants all within 5-10 miles.. maybe it is a little boring for someone young and single but for families it is an ideal place to raise a family.

Traffic is congested but it's nothing like I've experienced elsewhere ... and maybe it has to do with so many people moving to Edmond.. I wonder why? (Since it 'sucks' so badly.)

xpertinfun
09-20-2006, 07:42 PM
I work in Edmond and agree with everything you just said....Except the schools. I dont think the schools are really that great now.

They are getting major overcrowding now and lower budgets...Those two dont mix well.

Its WAY over rated place to live, Way to crowded...But at least the people who have been living there for awhile can look at pretty high property value now.:congrats:

Getting to the city sucks. I'm not a fan of Broadway Extension, but that's really the only option. I-35 isn't centrally located enough.

Many people in Edmond are snobs. There's no mixture of classes. No mixture of races. How boring.

There's not much to do in Edmond. Everything is in Oklahoma City.

PUGalicious
09-21-2006, 05:57 AM
Depends on where you live in Edmond. Where I live, we have many minorities in our neighborhood; in fact, most of my neighbors are minorities.

As with many things in life, what you get out of something often depends on what you put into it and what you make out of it. There's plenty to do in Edmond if you simply look further than the end of your nose.

Spoken by someone who has obviously not been in Dallas or Houston traffic. I'll take Edmond traffic patterns in a heartbeat compared to what it's like to commute in Dallas and Houston.

Again, there are plenty of excellent restaurants in Edmond. I'm sensing a common denominator to this "sucks" proposition.

The Edmond schools aren't the only thing that's good in Edmond, but I am truly grateful for the quality of Edmond's schools (having two daughters in the school system presently). The school district isn't perfect, but it's much better than most in this state -- especially Oklahoma City.

PUGalicious
09-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Back to the subject at hand-- traffic IN Edmond.

I am simply saying that there would be less of a traffic problem if Edmond's traffic lights (I would just start with Broadway and 2nd) were set for certain mph rather than the current sensors.

Not very convenient during the off-peak hours of the day.

I also don't like the argument that traffic isn't as bad as other places, so we don't need to worry about it. There is always room for improvement and we should always be working toward that. A 20 minute drive at 7pm from 15th and Santa Fe to Boulevard and 33rd is just rediculous, IMO.
Perhaps you should try alternative routes. I live in that area and travel it daily; it has never taken me that long -- not even close -- unless there was a train stopped on the RR tracks, and I can only remember that happening once.

Karried
09-21-2006, 06:52 AM
I dont think the schools are really that great now.

You work in Edmond?

Where do you base your opinion on, do your children attend Edmond schools?

I find it common that people who live in Edmond have a better opinion of it, just as those who live in other cities tend to find the positives in their hometown. I'm sure that you love your hometown.. just as those who live in Edmond do. I think we all dwell on the nicer aspects of our own hometown.

I imagine if you lived here in Edmond, you might focus on the positives such
as low crime and it being a nice community in which to raise children. There is plenty to do here. If you drive 10 minutes, you will find more restaurants than you will ever need. The area around Memorial and Penn has so many selections, PF Changs, Bravo plus a plethora of other smaller chain restaurants. A few blocks away, you will find Mahogany's Steak House, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Olive Garden, Carinos, Red Lobster, Chilis, Abuelos, TGIF.. I can't imagine someone living in Edmond going hungry!

We have so much shopping, many bookstores, family activities and the new area East of 35 is being heavily developed. Personally, I'd rather not have much more development because the beauty and charm of Edmond is the small town feel yet still offering so many big city conveniences. I don't want them to tear down the trees for more homes and more shopping centers but that seems to be the way the tide is turning in all smaller cities.

Yes, there may be some traffic issues but nothing I haven't seen in any other city of similar size. It is a smaller city but the beauty of that is that we can drive 15 minutes and enjoy all the amenities of a larger city.

Here is a blurb from the Edmond website:

"Welcome to Edmond, Oklahoma! Located in the heart of Oklahoma, just north of Oklahoma City, Edmond is considered by many to be the "Crown Jewel" of Oklahoma. If you're passing through, attending a convention or sporting event, taking a family vacation, or looking to relocate, Edmond is an exciting community that is sure to meet your needs.

Edmond offers outstanding hotels, conveniently located attractions, championship golf, and nostalgic shopping areas featuring the unique and antique, all with the added pleasure of beautiful public art cavorting on almost every corner. Located on scenic Route 66, The Mother Road, a stay in Edmond places you just minutes from international attractions "

Karried
09-22-2006, 08:32 AM
CNN - Money Best Places to Live

Okay, we are not high on the list - but we are on the list and I'll take that! LOL Norman is there too - yay! I think Norman is nice too.

For anyone wanting to learn more about Edmond, OK: I tried to copy it here but the tables are all messed up so go to the link if you want to see the results.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/snapshots/PL4023200.html

FINALIST
Edmond, OK
Top 100 rank: 52
Population: 74,900

Financial City stats Edmond Best places average

Median family income (per year) $72,992 $76,893

Family purchasing power
(annual, cost-of-living adjusted) $80,654 $68,109

Sales tax 7.75% 6.55%

State income tax rate(highest bracket) 6.25% *6.46%

State income tax rate(lowest bracket) 0.50% *2.74%

Auto insurance premiums(Average for the state)

$2,181 $2,207

Job growth %(2000-2005)
6.44% 10.97%

Housing City statsBest places average

Median home price $161,750 $259,566

Curt
09-22-2006, 09:25 AM
I'd move to Edmond in a heartbeat if I could...the traffic isnt that bad compared to where I am now and the people are a hell of alot friendlier...if you dont like it...leave it.

jbrown84
09-22-2006, 10:06 AM
I live half a mile from I-35 in east Edmond, so I can get to downtown OKC or my inner-city church in just 20 minutes. I get the best of both worlds I suppose.

traxx
09-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Brianinok,

The problem is that Edmond used to be a small bedroom town but now it has grown and really is just a suburb of OKC. However, they (whoever they are, local gov't. etc.) are still acting like it's just a small bedroom town - lots of stoplights, low speed limits on most roads, several roads are not large enough to meet traffic demand. I met someone at 2nd and Bryant not long ago for lunch and hated all the traffic because of all that has grown up around there. There were people trying to turn left and people turning out of parking lots, several stoplights within what seems like feet of each other and just so much confusion going on. I remember when Danforth used to be considered outside of town and was baren, now it's a major corridor.

brianinok
09-22-2006, 04:44 PM
I still like my idea of setting Broadway and 2nd for 40 or 45 mph. It would not be inconvenient as some suggest. You MIGHT get stopped at one light (the first one), but after that, you would have green lights from then on. As it is now, it is very common to stop at a majority of the lights on your route.

jbrown84
09-23-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure 2nd Street is already 40 mph and then 45 when you get to the edges of town.

brianinok
10-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I am not talking about the speed limits. I am talking about setting the traffic lights so that you can start at one end of Edmond on 2nd St and drive 40 mph and never stop at a light; same for Broadway. They are not currently this way-- I just think they should be.

sweetdaisy
10-01-2006, 05:37 PM
I've recently started driving into Edmond on a regular basis and agree with brianinok about the Broadway/2nd streets. One of my irritants is the 4 stop lights on 2nd street from Broadway to the UCO campus. It's horrible after 5:00pm. The "timing" on those lights is completely messed up...no sensors are involved there. One would think "they" could attempt to correct these traffic problems.

adaniel
10-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I've recently started driving into Edmond on a regular basis and agree with brianinok about the Broadway/2nd streets. One of my irritants is the 4 stop lights on 2nd street from Broadway to the UCO campus. It's horrible after 5:00pm. The "timing" on those lights is completely messed up...no sensors are involved there. One would think "they" could attempt to correct these traffic problems.

I agree. I frequently go to UCO on Broadway and its terrible almost all hours of the day. Does anyone else know a good way to get to UCO without taking Broadway. BTW, I know everyone says traffic in Edmond is bad, but I can personally say its a joy driving there compared to where I am in Norman. And don't even try to go anywhere on game days. It will take you 45 minutes to go 5 miles!!!

Tim
10-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Couple of quick points; On the easiest route to UCO, try 15th to Rankin, North to the campus. Also, 9th to University, North directly into the campus. Hope that helps! As to the traffic, I commute by bicycle, and can usually get anywhere in town in 15-20 minutes without riding on a major traffic artery. It does bother me to see the outrageous number of gi-normous SUVs occupied by a single person. Ok, flame away!

sweetdaisy
10-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the tips, Tim. I'll give the 15th to Rankin route a try on Thursday. :)

Karried
10-25-2006, 01:24 PM
If I'm in a big hurry, I'll take 35 North and exit 2nd street going West back into town ...seems a bit longer but no traffic.

Tim, no flaming here .. you're helping our environment.. one thought, have you seen those bright orange vests? That will help with your visibility should one of those SUV's miss seeing you in their blind spot.

SUV vs Bike shudder.

Tim
10-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Why thank you! Usually I take one little-bitty poke at SUVs and the wrath of GAWD rains down! I have an extensive collection of lights, reflective clothing and flashy-shiny stuff. The most important safety device any cyclist can have is a little common sense. Good news (since you graciously allowed me space on a traffic thread) the City of Edmond has recently approved the creation of a Bicycle Committee to study cycle/pedestrian issues, create safe routes and promote the use of alternative transportation. This is a worldwide trend that is finally reaching the Midwest, and when we finally reach max density on traffic counts and fuel prices, us goofy looking people on bikes may well be hailed as visionaries!

Tim
10-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the tips, Tim. I'll give the 15th to Rankin route a try on Thursday. :)
Excellent! If you see a couple on bicycles heading South, smile and wave!

Midtowner
10-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Tim, the only goofy thing about bicycle riders is the spandex.

-- the men with shaved legs are a little creepy as well.

Patrick
10-26-2006, 11:08 AM
sweetdaisy, you're a UCO student? Since when? Both Midtowner and I are alums from UCO.

Easy180
10-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Count me in too...Class of '98

Midtowner
10-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Best way to UCO is to take Fretz to 2nd.

Fretz may have a slower speed limit, but there is not traffic and not nearly as many stop lights.

Tim
10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Tim, the only goofy thing about bicycle riders is the spandex.

-- the men with shaved legs are a little creepy as well.

Haaarrumph. Obviously Midtowner, you are jealous. I expected more from a UCO alum.

Midtowner
10-26-2006, 01:23 PM
I used to ride my bike to class just about every day -- it's the only way to get around campus.

When I used to have free time, I'd make a daily trip out to lake Hefner where I'd circle the lake a couple times. I took a pretty bad fall out the trails in Mitch park, and really haven't ridden since.

I always felt it was not safe to ride my bike on major streets. I always cursed the people who do. It's dangerous for cars and the bike riders alike. Good to hear Edmond is finally following through with its trails system!

No need for funny clothes and shaved legs though. I never have heard a satisfactory explanation for the use of either.

Tim
10-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Yup. The trails system is coming along, once the EBC is up and running (riding) we hope to have designated safe route signage up. As to the spandex, the shorts have big cushy pads inside and the jerseys wick moisture. The reason a lot of us shave legs is to facilitate rapid healing of road-rash. It's just easier to keep clean without all that hair!

Scooter B
03-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Timing the lights appropriately is indeed needed. Whether we are better or worse than anywhere else is irrelevant (IMHO) and a sorry excuse for the status quo.

Another problem is the abundance of 30-35 MPH speed limits on major four lane thorough fairs. I know we as a society are way too busy but some of it is out of our control.

In the past year my wife went back to work working 12 hour day shifts (6:30-7:00 PM at Deaconess), then my manager cancelled the 1 PM to 9 PM shift coverage (we were promised for a minimum three years) so being on call starts earlier and my shift when on call changed from my normal 7:00-3:30 shift to 10:00 - 6:30 shift.

The problem is my daycare is "only" open from 6:30 AM to 6:00 PM. I have to get to 15 and Kelly from Bryant and Danforth getting a Kindergartener ready for the day and be there when they open the door at 6:30 AM.

Then I have to haul you know what to Baptist Medical Center park on the south forty and be in my department in under 30 minutes for the 7:00 shifts and I have to drive like a bat out of Hades (if I'm lucky and don't have to work late) to make it back to 15th and Kelly in under 30 minutes praying too God I don't get delayed by the train, road construction, wreck or a well meaning police officer or pay $5 every minute after 6:00. At 6:30 they call DHS to pick late kids. Hey they have families, school and second jobs to get to too.

Then my wife decides to have an affair, leave and file for divorce. Not that her job allowed her to be much help with the kids on her work days but now its even more hectic. Then there are school programs, ballet and soccer practices, and church on Wednesdays.....

1. I did not choose for my wife to go back to work and she had never worked 12's before during the time I knew her.

2. I was adamantly opposed to the schedule restructuring at my job and my wife deciding to work 12's was based on the promise of having that coverage until 8:00 PM before going on call.

3. I did not want a divorce and this hectic schedule.

How do traffic speed limits and lights fit into this?

My only remaining option based on three major changes that were completely out of my control is to make my time efficient time on the road. There are no current openings closer to home and moving closer to work is not an option right now either.

We have cars today because they are a necessity for efficiency. There are still some recreation drivers out there for the view and the Sunday drive but most of us need to if not daily but several times a day get from point A to point B quickly, safely and efficiently. It costs way too much to maintain a car, buy gas, pay taxes for roads and poorly executed stop lights to further suffer at the hands of well meaning citation wielding police (who alone are deemed qualified to speed at will for any reason at any time but that’s another topic).

While having inefficient lights and poorly executed traffic patterns is not a violation of my constitutional rights by any means we spend way too much money to maintain the ability to travel independently and efficiently to settle for the currently disorganized status quo.

Please someone in the Edmond City planning powers that be get this on the front burner and get us in the 21st century.

We are not a "small bedroom community" anymore for better or worse and its time to dump the unreasonably low non school zone speed limits that are only 5 to 10 miles an hour above the school zone speed limits when there are four or more lanes of traffic. Boulevard, Danforth, Bryant, 15th, 33rd, 2cnd, Kelly etc all have segments with 30-35 MPH speed limits that have more to do with generating revenue than promoting safety. If safety was really the issue the police would not break the speed limit either except for true life or death emergencies.

I have personally witness two or more squad cars racing each other on Broadway extension between 1:00 and 3:00 AM and been passed on the Turnpike like I was standing going 80 MPH on the way to an emergency call back at the hospital only to see the police car simply pull off 122cnd and into the police station at a casual pace.

Karried
03-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Wow Scooter.. I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma. Do you have the kids full-time now?

Any chance you could get the kids closer to where you work? Or hire someone to pick them up at daycare for a few hours after work?

That's a stressful way to live.. you must be exhausted. I hope you are getting some breaks and taking care of yourself.

I hope it gets better for you!