View Full Version : Bricktown getting old

Pages : 1 [2]

writerranger
04-08-2006, 11:59 AM
You know, I haven't browsed this thread in a while, and having read essentially every message here, there are a few interesting observations that come along:

* It's been suggested that Bricktown needs something to make it a draw other than movies, sporting events, and special events. I think that overlooks an important point: Most such cities with "urban centers" either already have a core central population, or the distance between the "outskirts" of that population base and the center is fairly short. Downtown OKC doesn't have either quality. As a result, you inevitbaly must provide either a) marquee events unique to downtown that make it an attraction unto itself, or b) provide "mundane" things in a way superior to those "five minutes away" from most suburban areas.

The Harkins is a very nice theater, and it is MORE than superior to anything in my vicinity. That makes it easy to justify the trip downtown. It would have even been better had Hogan not broken his promise to give us an IMAX.

If we don't want to rely on special events, then that means we have to get high-profile, recurring retail centers in Bricktown, and that's not getting done. A mall project I heard some time ago would have been glorious, but I also fear it would have failed due to (here's that horrible word again) parking. I wouldn't even want to think of navigating around Bricktown with a mall around Thanksgiving.

* Moshe Tal is perceived as having gotten the raw end of the deal on Bricktown development. I don't know enough to say whether that's true. However, I do remember that there were more than a few people who had legitimate questions about the nature of his financiers that he seemed unwilling (or, at best, reluctant) to answer. In that vein, it seems Tal has no one to blame but himself. We would have found ourselves in even a more lamentable position had Tal been handed the keys to the kingdom and then been unable to deliver *anything*.

* There's a sense that there's a proliferation of big-time chain restaurants in BT, and someone (as an example) named Earl's BBQ among them. Unless I'm mistaken, Earl's is locally owned and operated. Isn't that precisely the kind of establishment we want in Bricktown?

* There's a whole potential for development no one seems to be talking about in what I would (probably wrongly) call "East Bricktown," or perhaps the "East End." There are still older buildings here that capture the spirit of what Bricktown means architecturally, but also what looks to be some areas with development potential. Wouldn't it be cool to capture retail development in a double-decked "horseshoe" around the east end of Bricktown, passing over Sheridan, complete with a walking plaza and even a footbridge back to Bass Pro? but I digress...

* There seems to be a perception that Bricktown is a failure, and I just don't agree with that. When I was growing up, downtown OKC was a desolate place after 5pm, a ghost town on the weekends, and no place for anyone east of the tracks. That's not true anymore. I remember hearing my mom lament the destruction of the classic buildings during the 70's, and how the Myriad Gardens retail mall within the Gardens failed to materialize, but now we've got a pro-caliber sports arena, eating destinations, and least some (if admittedly not enough) shopping. While there's no doubt we could do better in areas, and Hogan will never be hailed as a development genius, we could have done decidedly worse.

What's great to me is that my kids now view Downtown as a fun place to go for a special night at the movies, or a ballgame, and that's something I never had growing up. I think that's nothing less than wonderful.

Sometimes, I think we need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and compare what we have to what we had ten, twenty, or more years ago, and all the true failures that have befallen downtown, like the Century Center, the Pei Plan, and the Myriad Galleria shopping center. Surely Bricktown - while imperfect - cannot be counted among them.

-SoonerDave

Dave, I just wanted to take a minute and tell you how much I enjoyed reading your post. Seriously. I think much, if not maybe all, of what you wrote is true. While I have a few memories of the "old" downtown with John A. Brown, the old theaters, etc., I mostly remember downtown after 6PM as a desolate place. Your points were well made and I agree with your analysis.

The one thing that concerns me is the "resting on our laurels" threat, especially from those of us who see the vast improvement and are tempted to think, "Oh, that's better," and wipe our hands and move on. Your mix of appreciation for the new developments, while at the same time offering new ideas for the future, is exactly the right approach. I think much of the constant carping over lower Bricktown, how much brick is on the buildings, etc. are younger people who don't have the appreciation of what is downtown today compared to the desolation. I don't mean that in a negative way at all...I only mean that perspectives are obviously going to be different.

Really, the main thing I wanted to write is that I laud your post and look forward to more of your participation here.
------------------------

Popsy
04-08-2006, 03:36 PM
I would also like to give props to Dave's post. I have only been visiting this site for a few months and the constant criticism of almost everything that is announced or done has become very timesome. It would be great if more people would contribute their views. OKC will never be the urban mecca most on here seem to be looking for, so maybe some would be happier with relocation to NYC.

HFK
04-08-2006, 09:00 PM
OKC will never be the urban mecca most on here seem to be looking for...

Well said, particularly the "urban mecca" bit.

Perhaps Bricktown hasn't blossomed according to some people's preference. However, there can be no arguement: it's definitely blossomed, and mightily.

SoonerDave
04-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks all for your kind words!

I appreciate the concerns some have in the way Bricktown has evolved, but I also think we can't lose sight of just how much we've accomplished. I don't think *anyone* twenty or thirty years ago would have thought we could do what we've done.

I remember walking into the Bricktown Ballpark the day before it originally opened, and I was absolutely stunned. I could not believe we had this incredibly handsome stadium, and I kept thinking to myself, "This is awesome! WE did this!" I must admit to an almost childlike sense of giddiness over this wonderful new toy, and the attractions surrounding it.

For our tenth anniversary, my wife and I took an overnight excursion to the Renaissance Hotel, (where they upgraded us to a deluxe suite for our anniversary), and marveled at the wonderful interiors; then walked to Bricktown and ate at the Bourbon Street Cafe, took a carriage ride, toured the big Christmas Tree exhibit, and stopped for a late coffee before going back to the hotel. Our corner room gave us a *fabulous* view back across the Christmas-lit Myriad Gardens, and it was *spectacular*.

All that is to say we have done a *great* thing in the Bricktown/Downtown area, and we need to do whatever we can to keep that momentum going. I've spent 41.0 of my 41.5 years here in Oklahoma City, and I love it to pieces. I'm not quite old enough to say I've grown up with the city, but at least in some way perhaps I can say it has grown up with me. And I wouldn't trade it for anyplace else in the world.

-SoonerDave

Patrick
04-12-2006, 09:12 PM
SoonerDave, I agree with you completely. At the same time, I think we can't remain in a state of complacency with what we already have. That's why some see me now as a complainer, but I just want to make sure we have the right people in power that won't squandor the progress we've made. I remember downtown before MAPS. It wasn't a pleasant place to be. I lvoe what MAPS has done. But, at the same time, I know we stil have a ways to go.

writerranger
04-13-2006, 12:21 AM
I think Dave is mostly right and I'll repeat that the perspectives will be different due to the generational differences. While many here say they remember a "dead" downtown, many of these people are 20-23 years old by my remembrances of age postings in past threads. A 22 year old would have been 10 years old in 1994. In 1994 there were definite signs of life Downtown. Myriad Gardens, oh...the list is long by '94. Bricktown was even coming alive with restaurants! To some of us, "dead," means the 1970s. That was d-e-a-d. To see the progress from then is more breathtaking than remembering the downtown of the early nineties. Hence, the differences in....I use this term loosely....appreciation.

But, with that said, we cannot rest on our laurels. (I know - cliché.) We must continue the visionary thinking that brought us what we have today, so 15 years from now another generation can have the same sense of wonder and appreciation for the new development the future can bring. To not do that will only guarantee another period reminiscent of the 1970s and stagnation, as we kick back and look around at what would be, by then, 25-30 years old. What are some visionary projects on the board for the next generation of Oklahoma Citians? We must enjoy and appreciate where we are - while we dream of where else we can go.

BTW, SoonerDave, you are a great addition to this board. The optimism and appreciation for what we have accomplished in our great city must not be forgotten, shoved aside or over-shadowed by pessimistic voices that don't see things unfolding exactly as they would like.

Trust those of us that remember a truly dead downtown that we have much - MUCH - to be proud of.
----------