View Full Version : Toilet Paper

gjl
10-02-2024, 03:25 PM
I think people are stockpiling it again. I guess because of the dockworker's strike. SMH

BoulderSooner
10-02-2024, 03:28 PM
I think people are stockpiling it again. I guess because of the dockworker's strike. SMH

if it goes on more then about 10 days lots of things will start being effected

scottk
10-02-2024, 05:06 PM
Isn't toilet paper made in the USA, along with bottled water?

There is a Kimberly Clark plant in Paris, TX, Georgia-Pacific also has a lot of US based paper mills. So, wouldn't toilet paper, and paper towels, be mainly on semi-trucks and not cargo ships?

I think the impact will be more in goods and consumables including fruits from South America and a lot of tech items and paper goods that come from China. I think stores like Hobby Lobby and Dollar stores that have a lot of goods shipped in from China will eventually will feel a pinch.

gjl
10-02-2024, 05:13 PM
You are expecting the general population to think logically. I heard one of the Costcos was sold out of it today. I saw someone at Walmart putting three 30 roll packages in their cart today and the shelves were less than 1/2 full.

Jersey Boss
10-02-2024, 05:37 PM

There is a Kimberly Clark plant in Paris, TX, Georgia-Pacific also has a lot of US based paper mills. So, wouldn't toilet paper, and paper towels, be mainly on semi-trucks and not cargo ships?

I think the impact will be more in goods and consumables including fruits from South America and a lot of tech items and paper goods that come from China. I think stores like Hobby Lobby and Dollar stores that have a lot of goods shipped in from China will eventually will feel a pinch.

In as much as this strike is Texas and ports east I think the goods that come from the EU, Carribean and possibly South America would be affected. China and Asian goods come in via the West Coast

Bellaboo
10-02-2024, 07:17 PM

Fioria TP is made down by the outlet mall IIRC.

gjl
10-02-2024, 07:27 PM
I believe that is just their warehouse.

kukblue1
10-02-2024, 08:52 PM
OMG People it's almost 2025 buy a cheap $30 Bidet already. Yes it's a little cold in the winter but my god it's so much better than wiping.

citywokchinesefood
10-02-2024, 10:09 PM
You plebs need to nut up and buy a bidet. You use antiquated paper to wipe your ass, meanwhile I am pampered with heated water and an air-dry cycle. We are not a like.

Bunty
10-02-2024, 11:19 PM
The U. S. toilet paper maker workers who want overtime will love how stupid people can be.

Bunty
10-02-2024, 11:23 PM
You plebs need to nut up and buy a bidet. You use antiquated paper to wipe your ass, meanwhile I am pampered with heated water and an air-dry cycle. We are not a like.

I assume bidets never caught on in Puritan America is because people fear being overly stimulated by the spraying warm water of bidets. But maybe if it was cold water.

Urinals in the home never caught on in America, either, even though they can't be stimulating to use. But I guess women think it's wrong, stupid and disgusting to have them in the home no matter what the guy thinks. Anyway, if the lady is on the toilet and you need to piss, no need to wait if you got a urinal.

citywokchinesefood
10-02-2024, 11:59 PM
I assume bidets never caught on in Puritan America is because people fear being overly stimulated by the spraying warm water of bidets. But maybe if it was cold water.

Urinals in the home never caught on in America, either, even though they can't be stimulating to use. But I guess women think it's wrong, stupid and disgusting to have them in the home no matter what the guy thinks. Anyway, if the lady is on the toilet and you need to piss, no need to wait if you got a urinal.

Listen Bunty, some robot tickling my butthole with water is not going to make me gay. I love it, I don't care and if they are too dumb to get one I don't care. I love it.

Ryan
10-03-2024, 05:10 AM
Listen Bunty, some robot tickling my butthole with water is not going to make me gay. I love it, I don't care and if they are too dumb to get one I don't care. I love it.

Umm like with “Witches” the puritans were right as Usual.,I bought a bidet several months ago and my water bill is through the roof., apparently you’re supposed to limit the amount of time you spend using it to “only what’s necessary’” whatever that means

gjl
10-03-2024, 08:20 AM
Not exactly where I thought this conversation would go when I started the thread.

Jeepnokc
10-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Not exactly where I thought this conversation would go when I started the thread.

Yes....it has gone down the drain :)

jn1780
10-03-2024, 09:06 AM

That's a lot of money in plumbing just for a urinal. Might as well add a toilet at that point that can handle multiple bathroom scenarios. :)

MagzOK
10-03-2024, 02:17 PM
Growing up, my uncle had a brass urinal in their bathroom. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

jompster
10-03-2024, 02:20 PM
We have bidets and love them, but there are a lot of people out there who forget you can clean yourself with water better than toilet paper. People mostly fear living outside of their own norms, and they're also a little slow to realize that the proper reaction in this scenario is to lower your usage a little. Use a few less squares when wiping. If you have a "breakthrough" moment, then you were going to wash your hands anyhow.

You were... weren't you? :wink:

FighttheGoodFight
10-03-2024, 02:23 PM
You also have to realize a lot of places saw this strike coming for months and have stocked up. It'll be a while until it pinches. Then again they will probably jack up prices to get those margins even bigger!

kukblue1
10-03-2024, 02:39 PM
Angel Soft- Produced by Georgia-Pacific in Georgia and Oklahoma
Quilted Norther- Manufactured by Georgia-Pacific in Georgia
Scott- Made by Kimberly-Clark in Pennsylvania
Charmin- Manufactured by Procter & Gamble in Ohio and Pennsylvania
Cottoneele- Produced by Kimberly-Clark in Wisconsin

I owned the BB 2000 the top of the line model from 2019 until 2022 came with a 3 year warranty and of course died on me in 3 1/2 years. I just went back to a cheap one that I started with for a year or two prior to getting the BB 2000. It was nice having the warm water and heated seat in the winter time but couldn't justify spending over $400 for another one. I know they have lower priced models but too me the manual one cleans better as it has way more pressure.

gjl
10-03-2024, 05:45 PM
The strike appears to be over. 61.5% wage increase over 6 years. (Nice) Still negotiating over automation. OK you can go back to using all the TP you want now.

scottk
10-03-2024, 06:38 PM
The strike appears to be over. 61.5% wage increase over 6 years. (Nice) Still negotiating over automation. OK you can go back to using all the TP you want now.

I assume the consumer will absorb this costs? With that type of increase over a short time period, I don't see how automation can't come into play to remain competitive against the ones who do use it.

jn1780
10-03-2024, 08:03 PM
I assume the consumer will absorb this costs? With that type of increase over a short time period, I don't see how automation can't come into play to remain competitive against the ones who do use it.

Yeah, computers and robots are very good at moving big boxes around. At least when the writers fought against AI, it was still very clear that AI is not as creative as a human.

Paseofreak
10-03-2024, 08:13 PM

The shipping (with ships) industry saw an 800% increase over 2018-2024 while dock workers were limited to 11% over the same period. The companies have plenty to catch them up and share the enormous profits made through the pandemic.

mugofbeer
10-03-2024, 11:18 PM
Rest easier ....... paper lovers, the strike is averted until the new year!

Bunty
10-04-2024, 11:23 AM
Rest easier ....... paper lovers, the strike is averted until the new year!

My local Walmart still had toilet paper but not as abundantly stocked as usual.

Bill Robertson
10-04-2024, 12:04 PM
My wife says she didn't see any kind of real run on paper goods at their stores.

okatty
10-04-2024, 03:53 PM

And a heated seat. Lasik surgery and a bidet - two life changing experiences.:o

Plutonic Panda
10-06-2024, 06:41 AM
Okay I'll be that guy and say no to bidets. I'll keep using my "antiquated" toilet paper. You people who swear by bidets and hold your head high are f@cking weird.

Rover
10-06-2024, 08:48 AM
Seems like bidets are cleaner, healthier, and more pleasant. Preferring that doesn't seem so weird just because it isn’t what we grew up with.

Plutonic Panda
10-06-2024, 08:55 AM
I'm not saying preferring it is weird. I'm likening it to how a vegan has to make sure everyone knows they're a vegan. Dude, be real. We're men. We've had our d!cks sucked and etc. And never once have i had any complaints of any foul odor or uncleanliness because I choose paper to wipe fecal matter as opposed to water. I witness far too often online people who want to die on the I love bidets hill. It's weird.

FWIW, no I don't know much about them other than I had water shot up somewhere I wasn't happy about and I haven't used one since. Sorry for the TMI but that opposition to bidet lovers needs to be spoken. I'll be that guy.

okatty
10-06-2024, 09:51 AM
Bidet - it’s the better way to doo things!

Dob Hooligan
10-06-2024, 11:29 AM
I'm not saying preferring it is weird. I'm likening it to how a vegan has to make sure everyone knows they're a vegan. Dude, be real. We're men. We've had our d!cks sucked and etc. And never once have i had any complaints of any foul odor or uncleanliness because I choose paper to wipe fecal matter as opposed to water. I witness far too often online people who want to die on the I love bidets hill. It's weird.

FWIW, no I don't know much about them other than I had water shot up somewhere I wasn't happy about and I haven't used one since. Sorry for the TMI but that opposition to bidet lovers needs to be spoken. I'll be that guy.

Gee, @Plutonic Panda...I think we can just accuse them of virtue signaling and leave it at that.

dankrutka
10-06-2024, 01:00 PM

Translation: I don't know much about the topic, but I'm still going to be outraged on the internet!

Ward
10-06-2024, 01:42 PM
Stopped in the Dollar Store, saw some toilet paper. Turns out it's so thin it only has 1 side !!!

Dang!!!

Jeepnokc
10-06-2024, 02:47 PM
And there are options

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/reviews/best-bidets

bamarsha
10-07-2024, 07:24 AM
Sunday afternoon, Sam's Club on Penn & Memorial was completely out of TP and paper towels... but there were still a lot of kleenexes.

bamarsha
10-07-2024, 07:26 AM
TP vs bidet: some people like to waste trees while other people like to waste water. Maybe some people like to waste both? Maybe some people like to conserve both...

Jeepnokc
10-07-2024, 07:46 AM
Sunday afternoon, Sam's Club on Penn & Memorial was completely out of TP and paper towels... but there were still a lot of kleenexes.

Lowes on 240 had reams of TP and paper towels. They had them lining the middle of the aisles when you walk in.

gjl
10-07-2024, 09:16 AM
Lowes on 240 had reams of TP and paper towels. They had them lining the middle of the aisles when you walk in.

Do you think that is maybe because the strike was settled on 10/3 and people have stopped panic buying?

Jeepnokc
10-07-2024, 11:40 AM
Do you think that is maybe because the strike was settled on 10/3 and people have stopped panic buying?

Maybe so but my comment was in response to the comment about Sam’s Club being out on Sunday ( which was 10/7)

Bunty
10-07-2024, 03:12 PM

Perkins Rd. Walmart in Stillwater looked more than half out of toilet paper.

oklip955
10-07-2024, 04:34 PM
right now if I was worried about shortages, I would be worried about building materials. Its going to take alot to rebuild after the first one and now if Milton hits hard, we are going to see huge increases in costs and maybe shortages. If you are planning on doing any construction/remodeling soon, I would be getting the materials now.

barrettd
10-08-2024, 06:05 AM

That was really annoying, since Sam's is my favorite toilet paper. Forced me to make a second stop, where the store had an abundance of toilet paper. I was at least relieved I didn't have to run all over town like during the end times.

mugofbeer
10-08-2024, 08:39 PM
right now if I was worried about shortages, I would be worried about building materials. Its going to take alot to rebuild after the first one and now if Milton hits hard, we are going to see huge increases in costs and maybe shortages. If you are planning on doing any construction/remodeling soon, I would be getting the materials now.

Milton is likely going to cause historical amounts of damage through multiple major population centers. I totally agree with your comment.