View Full Version : NW 43rd & Francis

Pete
07-10-2023, 07:15 AM
New infill project is being proposed. Don't know if it will be rental or condos.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/43francis071023a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/43francis071023b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/43francis071023c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/43francis071023d.jpg

soonerguru
07-10-2023, 08:49 AM
Nice.

Rover
07-10-2023, 09:55 AM
Lots of tear downs and new construction in this whole area east of Western on over to Shartel, but most close to Western. Quietly starting to gut the neighborhood and rebuild.

warreng88
07-10-2023, 10:02 AM
Gonna guess Omega Investments and Common Works Architects.

LocoAko
07-10-2023, 10:18 AM
The opposition for this on the Planning Commission's schedule is fierce. Not sure if I've ever seen this many protest forms filed for a single project. I'll be curious to see if it results in any changes to the design.

soonerguru
07-10-2023, 11:42 AM
I actually like this design. That stretch of 43rd was nothing special. It fits aesthetically with Will Rogers Theatre and increases density in a tasteful way.

Certainly understand why other developments of this nature are not desired, but this one should be approved.

Plutonic Panda
07-10-2023, 04:26 PM
What is that giant parking lot for? It would be nice to see that turned into a mixed use development with subterranean parking.

warreng88
07-10-2023, 06:01 PM
What is that giant parking lot for? It would be nice to see that turned into a mixed use development with subterranean parking.

Parking for will Rogers theatre to the west

Bowser214
07-10-2023, 06:04 PM
It is kinda cheap looking.

Plutonic Panda
07-10-2023, 06:27 PM
Parking for will Rogers theatre to the west
I feel so dumb I couldn’t peace together where this was at until I went to google maps and looked at the area and realized. SMH lol

Rover
07-10-2023, 08:45 PM
The opposition for this on the Planning Commission's schedule is fierce. Not sure if I've ever seen this many protest forms filed for a single project. I'll be curious to see if it results in any changes to the design.

What is the basis for the opposition? In a nutshell

Rover
07-10-2023, 08:46 PM
It is kinda cheap looking.

Not necessarily. Lots of brick and some detail. Probably depends on the quality of the siding used. Looks appropriate for the neighborhood.

HangryHippo
07-10-2023, 08:53 PM
They’re just renderings, but I actually like the look of them quite a bit. Unfortunately, in person could be completely different.

April in the Plaza
07-10-2023, 09:05 PM

Significantly denser than the offsetting uses, although I'm not necessarily sure that is a bad thing in and of itself. I would guess there is strong demand for this sort of housing. And I love the idea of being able to walk to Neko and pick up a sixer or two at Freeman's.

Mesta Parker
07-10-2023, 09:35 PM
NW 42 St directly to the south is part of Crown Heights, a historical preservation district. My guess is that is where the opposition is coming from. Personally, I don't see the addition of multi unit housing on a block of single family dwellings as good. It is out of character with the neighborhood.

LocoAko

Density/height (and associated parking/traffic) with it being out of place for the neighborhood, and proposed use of a communal dumpster for trash.

Rover
Significantly denser than the offsetting uses, although I'm not necessarily sure that is a bad thing in and of itself. I would guess there is strong demand for this sort of housing. And I love the idea of being able to walk to Neko and pick up a sixer or two at Freeman's.

There is already a trend to higher density development in the area seeping in from Western. It seems good to have this type of infill start to develop on and around Western as a main artery.

Mesta Parker
07-10-2023, 09:44 PM
Western between 36th and 50th cannot be a main artery without ripping out the street improvements added a few years ago between 41st and 45th to make Western more pedestrian friendly for businesses and restaurants.

Plutonic Panda
07-10-2023, 09:53 PM
Western between 36th and 50th cannot be a main artery without ripping out the street improvements added a few years ago between 41st and 45th to make Western more pedestrian friendly for businesses and restaurants.
Agreed. What a ridiculous design. Should’ve had bus or bike lanes with expanded sidewalks and a parking garage built to replace street parking.

macchiato
07-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Good news, hopefully it compliments the new multifamily developments immediately northwest of it.

barrettd
07-11-2023, 05:47 AM

I actively avoid that stretch of Western. I'm not sure exactly what they did to it, but it feels very tight now, getting on and off of Western. I almost always nick a curb in my little Civic. I just stay off of it from 36-50th.

DoctorTaco
07-11-2023, 07:01 AM
NW 42 St directly to the south is part of Crown Heights, a historical preservation district. My guess is that is where the opposition is coming from. Personally, I don't see the addition of multi unit housing on a block of single family dwellings as good. It is out of character with the neighborhood.

Without being too snarky, I would like to point out that your very own Mesta Park has *tons* of legacy high-density buildings nestled in among single-family housing and it has worked out pretty well there.

GoGators
07-11-2023, 07:31 AM
I actively avoid that stretch of Western. I'm not sure exactly what they did to it, but it feels very tight now, getting on and off of Western. I almost always nick a curb in my little Civic. I just stay off of it from 36-50th.

That's the point. It is supposed to feel tight so people slow down. This makes pedestrians safer.

AnguisHerba
07-11-2023, 07:53 AM

There's already four or five newer multi-family dwellings less than 500 feet away from this proposal, and they're all at the high end of the mutli-family market.

LocoAko
07-11-2023, 08:04 AM
That's the point. It is supposed to feel tight so people slow down. This makes pedestrians safer.

For real. If you drive a normal size vehicle and are driving an inappropriate speed, you shouldn't have any issue navigating the street without hitting things. They already had to remove the chicanes in the road because people couldn't manage that. I'm all for removing street parking in general, but I'm sure the surrounding neighborhoods would have protested having business parking spill even further into their neighborhood and the street is otherwise not wide enough to accommodate both 2 lanes of car traffic plus bike lanes.

SEMIweather
07-11-2023, 08:36 AM

It also has the pleasant side effect of being maybe the one road in the city travelling through a pedestrian-heavy area where one can drive the speed limit without getting tailgated like crazy. Just try driving down 23rd Street at 25 mph sometime to see how absurd it is that they lowered that speed limit without making any other pedestrian-friendly improvements to the road. Arguably more dangerous now with a few people trying to go the speed limit, while many people fly past at 35 mph since that's still what the road was designed for.

barrettd
07-11-2023, 09:06 AM

When people don't slow down, it makes it more challenging to turn onto Western without hitting the curb or crossing over the middle line. Maybe it's specific to some of the corners I happen to frequent when driving. When I visit a business on Western, I do appreciate the walkability, once parked.

barrettd
07-11-2023, 09:08 AM
For real. If you drive a normal size vehicle and are driving an inappropriate speed, you shouldn't have any issue navigating the street without hitting things. They already had to remove the chicanes in the road because people couldn't manage that. I'm all for removing street parking in general, but I'm sure the surrounding neighborhoods would have protested having business parking spill even further into their neighborhood and the street is otherwise not wide enough to accommodate both 2 lanes of car traffic plus bike lanes.

I'm talking about turning right on to Western, in either direction, from a stop sign off one of the numbered streets. I'm not flying down Western bouncing off of things. No big deal, I just avoid it now.

Plutonic Panda
07-11-2023, 09:38 AM
Raised crosswalks would also be nice here in some areas.

Mississippi Blues
07-11-2023, 10:24 PM
Raised crosswalks would also be nice here in some areas.

Great suggestion. This would be one of the most fitting areas in Oklahoma City for a raised crosswalk. I’m almost surprised there isn’t at least one yet.

onthestrip
07-12-2023, 11:37 AM

But the massive parking lot for Will Rogers theater is in character? What a ridiculous stance. As someone already pointed out, Crown Heights, Mesta, Heritage, they all have many multi family properties within the neighborhood and have since their beginning. Just typical selfish NIMBY arguments.

Mesta Parker
07-12-2023, 01:07 PM
Who’s said anything about the Will Rogers parking lot being in character? What a ridiculous statement! As you stated, the multi family properties have been there since the beginning and therefore do match the character of the neighborhood. This project design does not.

SEMIweather
07-12-2023, 02:21 PM
Neighborhood character can and does change over time. The core of the city is increasing in population and growing denser.

onthestrip
07-12-2023, 02:24 PM
Who’s said anything about the Will Rogers parking lot being in character? What a ridiculous statement! As you stated, the multi family properties have been there since the beginning and therefore do match the character of the neighborhood. This project design does not.

I mention the parking lot because, while out of character, it exists and hasnt harmed the neighborhood. All the tear down rebuilds for single family homes, some of them with more than 1 dwelling per lot, in varying styles, all dont fit the "character." This isnt in Crown Heights, its outside of it, so character really shouldnt even be an argument. Its one block east of what you could say is OKC's original urban district, its absurd to block denser housing one block from a stretch of multiple restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Again, classic selfish NIMBY arguments.