View Full Version : NW 39th and Indiana

David
01-05-2023, 09:06 PM
A trio of nice looking two story townhouses were finished late last year on the west side of Indiana just north of 39th. I don't have any pictures but I do have this streetview link (https://goo.gl/maps/XJoWm37CyjJpbK6p8) with images mid-construction from last year.

The house immediately to their north on the other half of the block towards 40th just got demolished in the last week or two and I am wondering if whoever built the first three are about to put three more up.

soonerguru
01-05-2023, 10:52 PM
That whole neighborhood has ridiculous potential. Infill opportunity surrounding great housing stock. We have witnessed much more challenged neighborhoods with more challenging locations blow up in the last few years.

That enclave has always been a hidden gem for home buyers looking for cool tudors and bungalows in close-in central neighborhoods at decent prices.

Hate to see the area lose its affordability but also excited to see more density and infill with better housing options.

As nauseating as it may be for people to see the housing prices rise in some of these areas, it's also a victory for OKC over the suburbs. More people moving into the core will only make our inner city a more desirable location for business, retail, restaurants, and jobs.

Pete
01-06-2023, 07:31 AM
One of the townhomes is listed at $520K:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4009-N-Indiana-Ave-Oklahoma-City-OK-73118/2060667182_zpid/

And yes, that area is seeing lots of infills and renovations, as is Putnam Heights area south of 39th as well as everything east of Classen (Helms Farm/Crown Heights).

LocoAko
01-06-2023, 08:05 AM
A trio of nice looking two story townhouses were finished late last year on the west side of Indiana just north of 39th. I don't have any pictures but I do have this streetview link (https://goo.gl/maps/XJoWm37CyjJpbK6p8) with images mid-construction from last year.

The house immediately to their north on the other half of the block towards 40th just got demolished in the last week or two and I am wondering if whoever built the first three are about to put three more up.

That sounds right. I saw an Instagram post from Omega (who was in charge of these three) saying this was the first of two phases of the small project they're calling La Rue. It wasn't clear to me then where the second phase (4 more homes) would be, but I'm sure it's across the street as you said. I haven't been able to find any detailed plans, though.

I live just south of there in Military Park and am glad to see (dense, Wheeler-like) infill coming to the area which has seen an explosion of home flipping/renovations in just the last few years since we've been there as Pete mentioned. Lots of potential lots for new infill and the existing housing stock, while often in disrepair, features cute Craftsman bungalows that have a lot of appeal and remaining original historic features. I've often been quite surprised by the condition of the houses they're able to successfully rescue. We were originally looking east of Classen but were just priced out, but it seems the investment has continued radiating outward from those neighborhoods into others. Previous to buying in the area, which I'm now thankful we did, I didn't realize just how old (1910s-1920s) these neighborhoods were even compared to other nearby neighborhoods like Douglas/Edgemere, Crown Heights, etc. The original development-boom-along-the-streetcar-line. ;)

There was a similar dense housing infill project planned along McKinley between 39th and 40th a few years back, but it faced fierce opposition from residents of Putnam Heights and I believe wound up getting approved (?) as just a small fraction of what was originally envisioned.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
01-06-2023, 09:09 AM
I want to say the style is similar to some other recent new builds around 28th and N McKinley.

Perhaps those were an Omega project as well.

soonerguru
01-06-2023, 11:03 AM
One of the townhomes is listed at $520K:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4009-N-Indiana-Ave-Oklahoma-City-OK-73118/2060667182_zpid/

And yes, that area is seeing lots of infills and renovations, as is Putnam Heights area south of 39th as well as everything east of Classen (Helms Farm/Crown Heights).

That is very attractive and warm. So many in this style are off putting.

unfundedrick
01-06-2023, 09:22 PM
That is very attractive and warm. So many in this style are off putting.

It is attractive but it has such a small living room/dining/kitchen area for a house with that many square feet.

HangryHippo
01-07-2023, 06:10 AM
520k? Yikes 🤯

caaokc
01-07-2023, 02:20 PM
There’s some dirt just east of the Casey’s gas station by the Braun’s on 39th Penn. Anyone know what it’s gonna be?

Dob Hooligan
01-07-2023, 03:32 PM
There’s some dirt just east of the Casey’s gas station by the Braun’s on 39th Penn. Anyone know what it’s gonna be?

This is pure speculation on my part. I was at that Braum's this morning and drove out to NW 39th via the parcel described. Looks like concrete has been poured in such a way as to move all the Braum's 39th access onto the new concrete and possibly allow Casey's to expand their lot 25-30 feet to the east. I'm guessing Casey's is gonna put in a rear drive through window and expand employee parking.

Pete
01-07-2023, 05:51 PM

It will be additional parking for Braum's.

soonerguru
01-08-2023, 03:43 PM
520k? Yikes ��

LOL I've been conditioned to view this as "affordable" for these types of developments.

LocoAko
01-08-2023, 05:20 PM
Speaking of infill in this area... (perhaps at some point we could make a general Infill Housing thread for larger housing infill projects across the city?)

In addition to these three houses and the 4 more on the NW 40th side of Indiana, Omega has submitted plans to construct 4-plexes in the current alley way between NW 40th and 41st from Penn all the way to Indiana, with the exception of one house that's already been built there. This would be up to 63 units and if I understood correctly extending Hemingway Drive down what is currently the alley. I'm glad to see the density and utilization of what is currently an abandoned right-of-way but it's an impressive amount of infill in one area for a single developer. Still has to go through Planning Commission and Council. Second image is from a poster at the open house for the first three houses that I swung by today.

https://i.imgur.com/eF4HRjI.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/ndWTaP3.jpg

OKCRealtor
01-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Very cool, would be great for that area. I used to have a house very very close by in Putnam Heights Annex and although I did really well on it really should have held onto it.

David
01-09-2023, 07:59 AM
Living in the area I wouldn't have guessed that alley space was even developable. I certainly wouldn't complain about seeing it happen though, I do like to see infill housing.

soonerguru
01-09-2023, 08:41 AM
It is exciting to see this kind of imaginative infill development in OKC. A decade ago this would have been almost inconceivable.

runOKC
01-09-2023, 10:36 AM
Living in the area I wouldn't have guessed that alley space was even developable. I certainly wouldn't complain about seeing it happen though, I do like to see infill housing.
IIRC, this used to be the right of way for the Interurban rail line. Pretty cool.

Jeepnokc
01-09-2023, 11:01 PM
IIRC, this used to be the right of way for the Interurban rail line. Pretty cool.

So who did the land belong to? Was the rai; line an easement that reverted back to lot owners and purchased from them or did the state own> Curious how they were able to get the land. Looks like a cool project,

baralheia
01-12-2023, 11:08 AM
EDIT: Oops, already answered previously!

So who did the land belong to? Was the rai; line an easement that reverted back to lot owners and purchased from them or did the state own> Curious how they were able to get the land. Looks like a cool project,

I believe this was the former right of way for the El Reno Interurban line, abandoned in '46. ACOG's historical streetcar map appears to back that up: https://www.acogok.org/transportation-planning/maps-and-data/historical-streetcar-routes/

David
04-18-2023, 03:07 PM
I drove by these a couple times recently and all three for sale signs are down, but I don't know enough past that to figure out if they have been sold and for how much. I tried the OK County assessor site and either it doesn't have the data or there's a delay of some sort.

David
10-06-2023, 07:41 AM
https://i.imgur.com/ndWTaP3.jpg

Construction appears to have started on the Indiana North set of homes.