View Full Version : Mexican Consulate

josefromtulsa
10-27-2022, 08:30 AM
I am hearing whispers that the Mexican State Department is looking at Edmond of all places to locate the consulate. I guess the Mexico City bureaucrats like Edmond and are not very fond of South OKC. Anyone hear this too?

While Edmond is not far from South OKC it just seems sad they are not building/renovating something in Capitol Hill or in the Southside. This consulate would really only be for Oklahomans and South Kansas folks since there are consulates in Dallas, Little Rock, and Kansas City.

For reference, here's what the KC Mexican Consulate looks like:

And here's what the Dallas Mexican Consulate looks like:

Midtowner
10-27-2022, 08:54 AM
If I was a Mexican consulate worker, I'd rather live in Edmond than South OKC. And for Mexican nationals who now can drive to Edmond rather than Little Rock or Dallas, Edmond seems like a win.

Also, in a few years time, I'd expect South OKC will have gentrified and Capitol Hill will only be a kitschy area with "character" in a sea of Strawberry Fields/Wheeler Park type developments.

josefromtulsa
10-27-2022, 09:13 AM
If I was a Mexican consulate worker, I'd rather live in Edmond than South OKC. And for Mexican nationals who now can drive to Edmond rather than Little Rock or Dallas, Edmond seems like a win.

Maybe the workers would rather live in Edmond but the point of a consulate is to serve the citizens and most of the Mexican population is in South OKC. And yes we are very happy to not have to drive to Little Rock to sit in a cramped building all day or wait for the mobile consulate to come to town just to not get a spot. This is certainly a boon for the community even if it ends up in Edmond. Maybe I am just complaining to complain but it would be cool to see the Mexican consulate with the beautiful Mexican flag flying in the Capitol Hill District

chssooner
10-27-2022, 09:27 AM
Maybe the workers would rather live in Edmond but the point of a consulate is to serve the citizens and most of the Mexican population is in South OKC. And yes we are very happy to not have to drive to Little Rock to sit in a cramped building all day or wait for the mobile consulate to come to town just to not get a spot. This is certainly a boon for the community even if it ends up in Edmond. Maybe I am just complaining to complain but it would be cool to see the Mexican consulate with the beautiful Mexican flag flying in the Capitol Hill District

This isn't just for OKC, though. Tulsa, the Panhandle, Texas Panhandle, all will be using this. Not just OKC.

amocore
10-27-2022, 09:40 AM

Also, in a few years time, I'd expect South OKC will have gentrified and Capitol Hill will only be a kitschy area with "character" in a sea of Strawberry Fields/Wheeler Park type developments.

The workers can live wherever they want but the consulate in South OKC would make much more sense than anywhere else.

Also, inner south OKC is far from even seeing sign of gentrification. So, few years seems unrealistic.

Mississippi Blues
10-27-2022, 09:51 AM
Another thing is Capitol Hill/South OKC is more centrally located for the metro and even the state with I-35/I-40 meeting nearby. With how easily accessible everything is here, it’s more semantics when you get down to things like location in a city this size - for example, the Guatemalan consulate is on NW Expy which isn’t particularly central but is largely accessible - but it’s another reason why south side would be my preferred spot for something like the Mexican consulate.

Mississippi Blues
10-27-2022, 09:58 AM
This isn't just for OKC, though. Tulsa, the Panhandle, Texas Panhandle, all will be using this. Not just OKC.

It seems (I may be wrong) a consulate being for people across the region would be an added point to the belief that the inner south side is more ideal than Edmond.

josefromtulsa
10-27-2022, 10:18 AM

Texas Panhandle falls under the Albuquerque Mexican Consulate jurisdiction so they would not be coming here as you can only be served at your assigned jurisdiction or at one of the larger ones like Dallas. Maybe Wichita will be placed within the OKC jurisdiction as the KC jurisdiction also includes all of Missouri.

I guess the argument can be made that Edmond is top of the list as JKT can give easy access to those driving from out of town, particularly Tulsa or Guymon and potentially Wichita. The people who worked to get the consulate here also wanted it in the Southside but like I said as long as we get one in Oklahoma. I won't let perfect be the enemy of good.

jedicurt
10-27-2022, 01:10 PM
Texas Panhandle falls under the Albuquerque Mexican Consulate jurisdiction so they would not be coming here as you can only be served at your assigned jurisdiction or at one of the larger ones like Dallas. .

assuming they don't change the consular map again. the most recent changes (such as moving the texas panhandle to Albuquerque) just happened last october.

Plutonic Panda
10-27-2022, 03:24 PM
What a dumb decision. Also I think there’s already a thread for this.

josefromtulsa
10-28-2022, 10:09 AM
What a dumb decision. Also I think there’s already a thread for this.

I agree. And yeah I didn't realize there was one in the civic issues forum. I am new to the forum so forgive me for double posting!
This conversation is probably better suited for that forum instead since there's no sort of concrete plans and we're all just speculating off a rumor.

soonerguru
10-28-2022, 11:45 AM
Sad

chssooner
10-28-2022, 11:58 AM
Why did the Guatemalan Consulate not go in a more heavy Hispanic area? Maybe they wanted to be in a more developed area than Capitol Hill. No inside knowledge. Just thinking out loud.

HOT ROD
10-28-2022, 12:21 PM
guys, could be a result of having office space (at least in the Guatemala Consulate General). Not sure why Mexico would want to locate in Edmond though, but I could see/understand NW from an office standpoint. IMO, if they're not going into Capital HIll then they should go into downtown office space like consulates do in other major cities.

I personally wish they would not only go into Capital HIll but build a compound there, a mini-embassy.

April in the Plaza
10-28-2022, 12:22 PM
Why did the Guatemalan Consulate not go in a more heavy Hispanic area? Maybe they wanted to be in a more developed area than Capitol Hill. No inside knowledge. Just thinking out loud.

Very easy access to Wiley Post and right next door to the Archdiocese of OKC / Catholic Pastoral Center. Lots of synergy there imo.

CitySooner
10-28-2022, 01:19 PM
From what I have heard, they have not selected a location and they have looked all over town. Near the capitol, NW Side, Edmond, etc. For the folks saying they should move downtown - would not work in this case. Being in a dense, multi-tenant tower Downtown is nowhere near a fit for what they are trying to do.

Mississippi Blues
10-28-2022, 03:08 PM

That could make sense, especially if they aren’t familiar with the areas, though like you said we’re just thinking out loud, not actually suggesting this is what’s going on. Could the consulate’s be relocated once Capitol Hill is more developed? I’m not sure how all that works or if there’s some sort of special process since it involves foreign offices.