View Full Version : 2205 S. Robinson

Pete
10-19-2022, 08:25 AM
Yet another renovation for the Capitol Hill area.

Swift Services will be completely renovating a boarded-up building at 2205 S. Robinson. Will be used for their offices and warehouse. Swift provides pest control and water damage restoration and is currently located at 13th & Oklahoma.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/2214srobinson1.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/2214srobinson2.jpg

HangryHippo
10-19-2022, 08:28 AM
Wow! That’s a big one and will be great to see.

josefromtulsa
10-19-2022, 08:57 AM
Walked by that building the other day for Fiestas de Las Americas. Great building at a great spot, right between the River Parks and Capitol Hill.

I hate to use the g-word but I am worried about those in the community who do not own their home or storefront.

Edit: Then again as a college educated, white collar professional wanting to move to the area or Shidler-Wheeler I would be apart of the problem, even if I am Latino.

jccouger
10-20-2022, 07:59 AM
Walked by that building the other day for Fiestas de Las Americas. Great building at a great spot, right between the River Parks and Capitol Hill.

I hate to use the g-word but I am worried about those in the community who do not own their home or storefront.

Edit: Then again as a college educated, white collar professional wanting to move to the area or Shidler-Wheeler I would be apart of the problem, even if I am Latino.

I want to see Capital Hill boom as a centrally urban hispanic focused district. Not really sure why OKC doesn't already have one more established already, but there should be plenty of capital to get some high quality latino investment in the area. Just seems to be a lack of leadership & organization pushing this idea unless I'm just totally ignorant to what is happening.

TheTravellers
10-20-2022, 08:23 AM
I want to see Capital Hill boom as a centrally urban hispanic focused district. Not really sure why OKC doesn't already have one more established already, but there should be plenty of capital to get some high quality latino investment in the area. Just seems to be a lack of leadership & organization pushing this idea unless I'm just totally ignorant to what is happening.

IIRC, that area also got redistricted to split it up for state senators/reps. So lack of leadership and organization will probably keep happening since half is in one district and half is in the other. Not sure of the boundaries or total accuracy of what I just wrote, but pretty sure that's the gist of it.

josefromtulsa
10-20-2022, 08:58 AM

There are some groups working to promote and support Hispanic businesses but they lack the true capital needed for large scale investments and not just small investments in mom and pop shops. Honestly, there just isn't enough focu$ on the Southside in general from the City (Same with Tulsa's lack of support for East Tulsa). All this TIF money going to out of state developers but if you go to Capitol Hill or SW 29th all you see are vibrant, locally owned businesses that get no support.

I just graduated so I am just getting started in life but I am hoping to invest in South OKC or East Tulsa (where I grew up).multiplex

josefromtulsa
10-20-2022, 09:13 AM
IIRC, that area also got redistricted to split it up for state senators/reps. So lack of leadership and organization will probably keep happening since half is in one district and half is in the other. Not sure of the boundaries or total accuracy of what I just wrote, but pretty sure that's the gist of it.

Here is South OKCs districts.

Here is East Tulsa.

TheTravellers
10-20-2022, 09:17 AM
Here is South OKCs districts.

Here is East Tulsa.

I don't know how Tulsa's neighborhoods relate to their districts, but in OKC, pretty much all of Capitol Hill was in one district (and maybe one city ward), but the legislature did some horrible gerrymandering (not political, it's a fact) that did some dividing.

https://www.enidnews.com/opinion/editorial-redistricting-in-okc-weakens-growing-hispanic-political-power/article_c519be94-4b8f-11ec-99fb-dbed2b3dfcc4.html

https://oklahomawatch.org/2021/11/19/redistricting-weighing-the-impact-of-splitting-oklahomas-largest-hispanic-community/

https://www.normantranscript.com/opinion/letter-oklahomas-redistricting-was-partisan-gerrymandering/article_1c6d65a8-52e6-11ec-b095-9754f5c2f24a.html

baralheia
10-20-2022, 12:03 PM
I don't know how Tulsa's neighborhoods relate to their districts, but in OKC, pretty much all of Capitol Hill was in one district (and maybe one city ward), but the legislature did some horrible gerrymandering (not political, it's a fact) that did some dividing.

https://www.enidnews.com/opinion/editorial-redistricting-in-okc-weakens-growing-hispanic-political-power/article_c519be94-4b8f-11ec-99fb-dbed2b3dfcc4.html

https://oklahomawatch.org/2021/11/19/redistricting-weighing-the-impact-of-splitting-oklahomas-largest-hispanic-community/

https://www.normantranscript.com/opinion/letter-oklahomas-redistricting-was-partisan-gerrymandering/article_1c6d65a8-52e6-11ec-b095-9754f5c2f24a.html

You're referring to the congressional redistricting that occurred. OK-5 used to cover the majority of OKC by way of incorporating Oklahoma, Pottawatomie, and Seminole counties (except for a carve-out around Tinker and Midwest City), but now the district includes large portions of Canadian and Logan counties - plus all of Lincoln county - at the expense of the southside of OKC. Basically if you're south of 23rd (the downtown core and the Eastside excluded) then now you're no longer in OK-5 - now you share a district with the entire northwest quarter of the state and then some (OK-3). Midwest City and Tinker remain in OK-4, as before.

An interactive map that shows the old and new district borders can be found here: https://okhouse.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9c5849013fff43b79da3557f86b8a69f&extent=-11623777.3754%2C3901504.0833%2C-10281543.1588%2C4544798.1134%2C102100&showLayers=County_Boundaries_5641%3BProposed_Congr essional_Districts_6908

Honestly it's all kind of ridiculous.

HOT ROD
10-21-2022, 12:06 AM
interestingly though, the OKC area should control these districts given its population and population DENSITY. I don't understand the horror of combining the southside with western OK - it isn't like theres lots of people there whereas there is in S OKC, should control it if people get out and vote.

josefromtulsa
10-24-2022, 07:58 AM
....it isn't like theres lots of people there whereas there is in S OKC, should control it if people get out and vote.

The big issue is that! People don't get out to vote. My buddy just got elected to HD 89 and he mentions that his district s one of the worst when it comes to voter turnout. Of course there are historical reasons for that being the case.