View Full Version : San Marcos Mexican Restaurant nw 40th/MacArthur

billokc
08-31-2022, 02:01 PM
8/31/22 Don't when this happened, but it's closed. This image was shot during lunch hour. Anyone have any knowledge of this??[ATTACH=CONFIG]1764

Pete
08-31-2022, 02:09 PM
^

Wow, that location seemed very popular.

gjl
08-31-2022, 03:47 PM
This is from someone that knows Eric the owner. His lease was up and he was tired of fixing the plumbing.

Pete
08-31-2022, 04:33 PM
This is from someone that knows Eric the owner. His lease was up and he was tired of fixing the plumbing.

Do you think he'll reopen at another location?

gjl
08-31-2022, 04:47 PM
The person who gave me that info said probably. He still has the one on SW 59th. I know Eric too. I just haven't talked to him in a couple of years.

gjl
08-31-2022, 04:55 PM
San Marcos food was really good. Eric said a lot to what they sold was from his grandmothers recipes. If you're looking for another really good Mexican restaurant in that area, Mi Pueblo in the strip shopping center behind the McDonalds is great too. It's where Alfredo's was for a while.

Pete
08-31-2022, 05:00 PM
^

I really like Abel's but haven't been for a while.

gjl
08-31-2022, 05:03 PM
^

I really like Abel's but haven't been for a while.

My wife does too. I'm not so much a fan. She really likes that spicy fruit they sell by the cash register. They do have a cheese burger and fries entree if you have to go there and aren't into their Mex food. :)

Pete
08-31-2022, 05:24 PM
I like the Casa Perico at 63rd & Meridian.

Not great but Iove their warm spicy salsa they serve in a little skillet.

gjl
08-31-2022, 05:37 PM
Mi Pueblo brings your set ups salsa out in a little glass decanter with a foil top on it. They bring the queso out in a little bowl and give you an empty bowl for the salsa. I think Alfredo's is still my favorite for Tex Mex. I was so disappointed when they closed it where Mi Pueblo is now. Alfredo's corn salsa set up is great but you have to ask for it. And their glazed sopapillas. Yum. Warr Acres losing San Marcos is going to hurt their sales tax revenue. The place was always busy.

billokc
08-31-2022, 06:44 PM
All of this fits in with what I was told on Facebook. There has been a dispute with the landlord, and the restaurant will be moving to a new location but there's no location announced yet. I'm not really surprised about the plumbing issues. That's an older part of the city in the Warr Acres/Bethany area. There's been a ton of road work done there on MacArthur recently which is why I've been avoiding the area. Only reason I was there today was to pick up some drugs at the CVS across the street. For my "San Marcos food fix" I've been going to the one on south Meridian just across the river. It's big and clean.

billokc
08-31-2022, 07:12 PM

Is Eric the restaurant owner, or the owner of the building/property?

gjl
08-31-2022, 07:28 PM
Restaurant owner. I think they are all owned my his family but Eric owned the WA and SW 59th location. Again it's been a few years since I've talked to him and some of that may have changed. There was one around 39th st on May for a while and it is now closed. And I know there is one up north on Rockwell. I got to know him a little doing some computer work on some of his cars. I wonder if Emily Sutton's free food for life will get transferred to his 59th street location.

https://www.thelostogle.com/2022/06/02/emily-sutton-is-pregnbaehugril45ertudr4xgeiogjapoazj/

Ward
08-31-2022, 08:51 PM
I like the San Marcos @ NW 122 & Rockwell, in fact I'm meeting some friends for lunch there on Friday.

If you want to drive just a little farther, I recommend this location.

roci28
09-01-2022, 03:52 AM
San Marcos on S. Meridian is nice, much larger than the WA location and very consistent. We go there often.

billokc
09-01-2022, 07:42 AM
San Marcos on S. Meridian is nice, much larger than the WA location and very consistent. We go there often.

Been there several times, I agree 100%.

dford2
09-01-2022, 10:22 AM
There's a sign on Main Street in Newcastle (N. End of Main), that says San Marcos coming soon

gjl
09-01-2022, 11:07 AM
There's a sign on Main Street in Newcastle (N. End of Main), that says San Marcos coming soon

That is really far from their current base of operation. I wonder if their family has farmland around there. I asked Eric once what he did with all the left over tortillas and chips that people leave and he said they feed them to their cows but he never said where.

Jeepnokc
09-03-2022, 09:06 AM

This is great news, Should do really well. The LaLuna down there is always packed and SM has a quality product that can go head to head with them.

Roger S
09-03-2022, 09:11 AM

They just opened a new location in Yukon where Mae's Kitchen used to be.

gjl
09-03-2022, 11:51 AM
They just opened a new location in Yukon where Mae's Kitchen used to be.

Is it open yet? We just drove by there Thursday and my wife said it didn't look like it was open yet.

mugofbeer
09-03-2022, 05:15 PM
All of this fits in with what I was told on Facebook. There has been a dispute with the landlord, and the restaurant will be moving to a new location but there's no location announced yet. I'm not really surprised about the plumbing issues. That's an older part of the city in the Warr Acres/Bethany area. There's been a ton of road work done there on MacArthur recently which is why I've been avoiding the area. Only reason I was there today was to pick up some drugs at the CVS across the street. For my "San Marcos food fix" I've been going to the one on south Meridian just across the river. It's big and clean.

I'm sure there is more than meets the eye but retail center owners can be some of the biggest idiots. I think sometimes it comes down to pure ego when negotiating with lessors. I doubt other retailers are knocking the doors down anywhere in WA to fill empty spaces and this was a good place to eat.

Roger S
09-03-2022, 06:14 PM
Is it open yet? We just drove by there Thursday and my wife said it didn't look like it was open yet.

That I don't know... Both times I have driven by was in the morning.

OKCRealtor
09-05-2022, 07:11 AM
The San Marcos on SW 59th is the most consistent and best of the bunch IMO. Their salsa especial is awesome. We used to frequent the May location before it closed- Aztec is a good replacement though. We go to the Rockwell location too but they're inconsistent from location to location.

Ward
09-05-2022, 03:15 PM
I'm sure there is more than meets the eye but retail center owners can be some of the biggest idiots. I think sometimes it comes down to pure ego when negotiating with lessors. I doubt other retailers are knocking the doors down anywhere in WA to fill empty spaces and this was a good place to eat.

It's been my observation and opinion over the years that not only are their residential type slumlords, there are also Retail slum lords.

Roger S
09-05-2022, 03:49 PM
It's been my observation and opinion over the years that not only are their residential type slumlords, there are also Retail slum lords.

Ray Pelfrey was one of both.... Maybe 2 or 3 of both.

White Peacock
09-07-2022, 01:32 PM
This was my favorite San Marcos spot and my go-to for Mexican food. I wouldn't doubt if there was some hesitation to re-up the lease because of the awful road work that's crippled MacArthur for well over a year, but escaping a sh*tty landlord is good incentive as well. It's just bad news for those of us who live in the area and loved having them nearby.

billokc
09-07-2022, 06:16 PM

Not great but Iove their warm spicy salsa they serve in a little skillet.

I live within a five minute walk from there.

Okcborn90
09-23-2022, 01:59 PM
Oklahoma Tax Commission actually closed them. Has a pretty large outstanding balance on unpaid taxes.

Pete
09-24-2022, 07:18 AM
Oklahoma Tax Commission actually closed them. Has a pretty large outstanding balance on unpaid taxes.

I conducted some research and found the owner was hit with a $350,000 judgment from the Oklahoma Tax Commission.

The owner is also being sued by Arvest Bank for an unpaid $86,000 promissory note and unpaid bill to US Foods.

Pete
09-24-2022, 08:45 AM
The same guy, Erik Deloera, also owns Senor Shots in Bricktown and there have been multiple lawsuits there as well.

gjl
09-24-2022, 12:29 PM
Sorry for the mis-information. It's what I was told from someone that knows and sees Erik more then me. But if Erik is in that big of a mess especially with the Tax Comm, I doubt he's being open and honest with anyone.

Pete
09-24-2022, 01:01 PM
Bars and bar-heavy restaurants have a ton of money flowing through them and are fertile ground for paying employees under the table (to avoid related taxes) and under-reporting revenue.

It seems both the OTC and IRS are cracking down of late. Jeff Rogers of Rogers Concepts has had a bunch of big liens filed against him and his various businesses (Yo Pablo, Pig & Butcher and Pink Parrot). I was told that the IRS actually seized some of his accounts (I verified several hundred thousand in tax liens were recently paid) which in turn forced him to sell Pink Parrot and take out some very high-interest loans (something I was also able to verify). Rogers still owes hundreds of thousands to the OTC according to filed tax liens.

I have talked to the OTC in the past and was told they don't like to close businesses because it greatly impedes the ability to be repaid. But when things get very bad and there is little hope, they step in. And the IRS can be vicious. They basically can just take money straight out of your accounts on their own authority, and that is my understanding of what happened to Jeff Rogers.