View Full Version : Who turned off the lights?

Pages : [1] 2

Anonymous.
08-04-2022, 03:40 PM
This has been discussed here before, but I thought I would make a new thread with a link to a photobombed map showing what [p180] lights are currently out downtown. I believe the city officially announced P180 was "finished" in late 2021. I live downtown and I often bike/walk/run through the CBD in the evenings when vehicle traffic is minimal. Some of the early P180 stretches in the CBD have been dark for years. And as you will see in my photos, now nearly the entire project is in the dark.

This is an interactive google map that I have embedded photos along various intersections of the CBD. All of these photos were shot last night [Wednesday 08/03/2022] between 9pm and 10pm. I will continue to add photos to this map and keep it updated as I canvas more P180 streets. All photos are unedited and taken with an iPhone 13 Pro with nightmode disabled - as it deceives how dark it truly is.

LINK TO MAP (https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1DrACH04mGUDgjzWdMla84QVAUHfQ4_Y&usp=sharing)

TheTravellers
08-04-2022, 03:50 PM
Pathetic, but not surprised. Have you contacted the Action Center or emailed Ms. Hamon?

OKCbyTRANSFER
08-04-2022, 07:22 PM
I too live downtown and volunteer at the Civic Center. Always notice just how dark it is, even with the new lights. I know I for one, report the outages as I can. But as we noted, it's gotta be better than this!

TheTravellers
08-04-2022, 08:37 PM
I too live downtown and volunteer at the Civic Center. Always notice just how dark it is, even with the new lights. I know I for one, report the outages as I can. But as we noted, it's gotta be better than this!

Yep, absolutely ridiculous it's left up to citizens to report streetlight outages, as I've said for years. And they promised to get better years ago. Crickets..............

Anonymous.
08-05-2022, 07:17 AM
When you report the outages to the action center it says it will forward the request to OGE and that you can call OGE yourself. I have never tried calling OGE myself, but what a terrible system.

Like I would understand maybe a stretch or two, or a handful of lamps scattered about. But this is basically the entire NEW streetlight grid.

OKCbyTRANSFER
08-05-2022, 11:48 AM
I email them and they will reply back with the work order number for your report. Could take about a month to be fixed depending on the issue. If it's for street lights, I normally skip the action center and go directly to OG&E
CUST CARE DEPT <CUSTCAREDEPT@oge.com>

bucktalk
08-05-2022, 12:07 PM
This on-going problem is one of my pet peeves. It appears no one (OG&E, the city of Oklahoma City, OTA or ODT) seem to be proactive on this problem. Even new lighting along the Boulevard or new lighting along Kirckpatrick or the new I-40 lighting west of Rockwell - none of them work with consistency. One rainy night I came into OKC on I-40 and ZERO streetlights were on from Morgan Road into downtown. Pitch black and dangerous. It seems ridiculous to have the public tell those responsible, "Hey, your lights don't work". Why they can have a full time employee or system that notifies them lights are out is beyond me. If I were to grade the consistency of keeping streetlights working it would be an F.

soonerguru
08-05-2022, 01:00 PM
It's one of the most consistently distressing examples of OKC just not giving a F. There are numerous others, but, this one really stands out. it's terrible. And, to Traveller's point, is something that could be easy for city staff to monitor and keep up with, ESPECIALLY when it's in the heart of downtown.

This has been a dog-ugly city for decades. Comparatively, it looks much better. But, it's still stuff like this that just makes it seem rundown and neglected.

There should be no excuse for this as much as we have collectively invested in this city, and continue to do so.

bucktalk
08-05-2022, 01:13 PM
It's one of the most consistently distressing examples of OKC just not giving a F. There are numerous others, but, this one really stands out. it's terrible. And, to Traveller's point, is something that could be easy for city staff to monitor and keep up with, ESPECIALLY when it's in the heart of downtown.

This has been a dog-ugly city for decades. Comparatively, it looks much better. But, it's still stuff like this that just makes it seem rundown and neglected.

There should be no excuse for this as much as we have collectively invested in this city, and continue to do so.

Agree 1000%

TheTravellers
08-05-2022, 01:55 PM
This on-going problem is one of my pet peeves. It appears no one (OG&E, the city of Oklahoma City, OTA or ODT) seem to be proactive on this problem. Even new lighting along the Boulevard or new lighting along Kirckpatrick or the new I-40 lighting west of Rockwell - none of them work with consistency. One rainy night I came into OKC on I-40 and ZERO streetlights were on from Morgan Road into downtown. Pitch black and dangerous. It seems ridiculous to have the public tell those responsible, "Hey, your lights don't work". Why they can have a full time employee or system that notifies them lights are out is beyond me. If I were to grade the consistency of keeping streetlights working it would be an F.

I've brought up the "employee driving around to check on dead street lights" multiple times with OG&E and James Cooper. Crickets. Same as the city's "We'll get right on that, look at all our pretty slides and "progress"". Crickets. Nobody except us gives a **** and we have no power to make anybody do anything about it, and OG&E don't make any money off of doing that, so it's low on their priority list. Maybe we can take it up with the corporation commission (oh wait, they're in bed with the utilities, sorry, forgot). I don't have any social media accounts, but why doesn't somebody start blasting our city councilpeople on Twitter with all the dead lights (Anonymous, you could start, you've done a great job documenting your set :))?

Bill Robertson
08-05-2022, 02:39 PM
I know among the literally hundreds of street lights out in OKC this is not a big deal but it's indicative of the powers that be not giving a F.
We have 5 street lights on our very long drive at work that are connected to the street lights on Meridian so they are the city's/OGE's. A few years ago we replaced bulbs in them and made a few of them work. But I was told not to do any more or to even do that again because they're not ours. One of the poles started leaning a few years ago. The more time goes on the more it leans. It started out maybe 10 degrees. Now it's closer to 30. And the kicker is it leans south when we have strong north wind and north when we have strong south wind. I've called OGE so many times I've lost count. I've had the Facility Director call. We've even had officials in Washington call.
Crickets. They've even told us they've been there and looked at the pole and will monitor its condition. We're a high security facility with cameras EVERYWHERE. They have not been there. We'd know.

bucktalk
08-06-2022, 06:10 AM
Maybe a local news station can revisit this problem? I'm not sure 'In Your Corner' on channel 4 would cover it to resolve this issue because it wouldn't bring an 'awwwww...that's so nice' type of public response should the problem get resolved. If anyone has public clout....it our fearless communicator/administrator....Pete!!!

PaddyShack
08-10-2022, 04:05 PM
I know among the literally hundreds of street lights out in OKC this is not a big deal but it's indicative of the powers that be not giving a F.
We have 5 street lights on our very long drive at work that are connected to the street lights on Meridian so they are the city's/OGE's. A few years ago we replaced bulbs in them and made a few of them work. But I was told not to do any more or to even do that again because they're not ours. One of the poles started leaning a few years ago. The more time goes on the more it leans. It started out maybe 10 degrees. Now it's closer to 30. And the kicker is it leans south when we have strong north wind and north when we have strong south wind. I've called OGE so many times I've lost count. I've had the Facility Director call. We've even had officials in Washington call.
Crickets. They've even told us they've been there and looked at the pole and will monitor its condition. We're a high security facility with cameras EVERYWHERE. They have not been there. We'd know.

I know where this is, I just happened to notice this very light pole when I was dropping off a buddy across the street.

Bill Robertson
08-12-2022, 01:46 PM
I know where this is, I just happened to notice this very light pole when I was dropping off a buddy across the street.
I just saw this. I'm sure you've got the right place. That pole is getting scary.

bucktalk
08-15-2022, 07:56 AM
The fact there seems to be no accountability for the much needed repairs astounds me.

BDP
08-16-2022, 01:24 PM
So annoying. It's not like it's hard, they're just lazy.

While we're at it, who's in charge of setting the centennial clocks all over the city? Those things never seem to be right.

bucktalk
08-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Heck, they can pay me 50k a year and provide a vehicle I'll run a midnight-8:00am shift to evaluate all the streetlight outages! Having the general public responsible to report outages is just ridiculous and make it feel like continued outages are our fault because we didn't report them. Crazy way to operate a business.

TheTravellers
08-16-2022, 01:48 PM
Heck, they can pay me 50k a year and provide a vehicle I'll run a midnight-8:00am shift to evaluate all the streetlight outages! Having the general public responsible to report outages is just ridiculous and make it feel like continued outages are our fault because we didn't report them. Crazy way to operate a business.

As I've said, almost 100% likely that they (OG&E) don't want to do this because it costs them money. Why spend money on replacing bulbs, wiring, poles, etc., as well as paying someone and providing a vehicle/gas if they don't abso-****ing-lutely have to and aren't being made to by statute, law, whatever? They're going to *not* do anything until an entity punishes them for not doing anything, and I don't think anybody that has any power gives enough of a sh!t to do that.

BDP
08-16-2022, 02:11 PM
As I've said, almost 100% likely that they (OG&E) don't want to do this because it costs them money. Why spend money on replacing bulbs, wiring, poles, etc., as well as paying someone and providing a vehicle/gas if they don't abso-****ing-lutely have to and aren't being made to by statute, law, whatever? They're going to *not* do anything until an entity punishes them for not doing anything, and I don't think anybody that has any power gives enough of a sh!t to do that.

Who actually "owns" the lights? If OG&E is just servicing them, wouldn't they have a contract with the city? I really don't know how this is set up.

Plutonic Panda
08-16-2022, 02:40 PM
Well the reason why is that’s what they’re supposed to do.

TheTravellers
08-16-2022, 02:50 PM
Well the reason why is that’s what they’re supposed to do.

Do you know that for sure? Is that actually written into their charter or contract? It should be, and it should be enforceable. If you can find a section of their charter or contract with the city/county/other governmental organization that says they have to keep the lights on or face penalties, good luck. Then we just have to find someone to actually enforce it or penalize them. None of that is forthcoming at any level of OG&E or OKC.

Anonymous.
08-19-2022, 10:05 AM
I updated the map again today with more photos of P180 lights that are out. Posting a few here to show just how bad some of these are.

https://i.imgur.com/JKRc2Ma.png

https://i.imgur.com/WfT5wNu.png

https://i.imgur.com/9WXKRYC.png

https://i.imgur.com/7tCbccZ.png

5alive
08-19-2022, 10:40 AM
Wow...this is so unacceptable. Mayor Holt, are you reading this?

TheTravellers
08-19-2022, 11:32 AM

No, he's not. But as I've said before, someone with a Twitter account should blast this at JoBeth Hamon (and the whole city council) and him. Get it out there in a massively public way (again :icon_evil), because sometimes pressure like that works...

bucktalk
08-19-2022, 02:34 PM

The continuous neglect is so unacceptable. There must, must be away to get this problem corrected!! Wish we could post the top 4-5 phone numbers of whom to contact. As they say, "they squeaky wheel get oiled first". Maybe we've not been squeaky enough?

bucktalk
08-19-2022, 02:34 PM
I updated the map again today with more photos of P180 lights that are out. Posting a few here to show just how bad some of these are.

https://i.imgur.com/JKRc2Ma.png

https://i.imgur.com/WfT5wNu.png

https://i.imgur.com/9WXKRYC.png

https://i.imgur.com/7tCbccZ.png

Your pics are outstanding to convey how bad this situation is. Thanks for sharing!!!!

OKCbyTRANSFER
08-19-2022, 02:59 PM
I just took what I could from the pictures and turned a ticket into the Action Center and OG&E.

Teo9969
08-21-2022, 07:46 AM
I would imagine many of these lights have gone out sooner than the installers would have been prepared for so they might even have a case against the manufacturer.

Probably worth throwing out there that having well lit streets is absolutely a part of beautification, and it could well be worth some of the MAPS funds to take care of some of those issues.

bucktalk
08-21-2022, 09:21 AM
It's important to note that many streetlights along the highway exchange loops, near the state fair grounds and west I-40 are completely dark as of a few weeks ago. The night lighting outages are pretty wide spread through the city, unfortunately.

OKCbyTRANSFER
08-24-2022, 08:15 PM
I noticed on the way home tonight some of these areas may have been repaired. Not 100%, but I saw improvement. I've turned in requests to both the Action Center and OG &E based on the pics and map provided and followed up tonight with some other areas. Hopefully that gets some more taken care of.

bucktalk
08-25-2022, 07:16 AM
I noticed on the way home tonight some of these areas may have been repaired. Not 100%, but I saw improvement. I've turned in requests to both the Action Center and OG &E based on the pics and map provided and followed up tonight with some other areas. Hopefully that gets some more taken care of.

That's good news! Side note: I drove into Tulsa late night this week, noticed many of their streetlights along I-44 were not working. Apparently, OKC isn't the only place with darkness on it's streets.

Anonymous.
08-25-2022, 08:09 AM

What areas? I was out there in the CBD last night and did not see any changes, so unless you mean toward Reno, there hasn't been any change.

OKCbyTRANSFER
08-25-2022, 09:45 PM
What areas? I was out there in the CBD last night and did not see any changes, so unless you mean toward Reno, there hasn't been any change.

Right, Reno in front of Paycom Center was lit as was Hudson along the Myriad. I took locations from your map and pics to send in the requests. (Thank you)
Both Kerr and Park are dark the entire length through downtown (!). NW 4th in front of the bus station recently received the LCD bulbs

bucktalk
08-27-2022, 10:13 AM
Most of the lights around the fairgrounds from I-40 to 23rd on I-44 are all out. Still.

TheTravellers
08-27-2022, 12:39 PM
Most of the lights around the fairgrounds from I-40 to 23rd on I-44 are all out. Still.

Anybody reported them or tweeted that at the city councilor (Cooper, maybe)?

Public shaming might work, blast all the dead lights at the city council, the mayor, OG&E, Corp Commission on Twitter, Facebook, etc. Do it daily, weekly, whenever. I don't have any social media accounts, so I can't...

OKCbyTRANSFER
08-30-2022, 12:28 AM
I turned this in to OG&E for it to be looked at

Anonymous.
08-30-2022, 08:55 AM
The power this forum has on this city on display. Some of the CBD lighting has started being fixed as of yesterday (Monday 08/29/2022). I will post some areas to see the difference.

There is still some sporadic lights that are out, even within the stretches that are mostly lit now. I will go check out Reno tomorrow for improvements. I could see that the areas around the Myriad Gardens are still dark.

https://i.imgur.com/KhLKuVI_d.webp?maxwidth=1000&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/n58MEtU_d.webp?maxwidth=1000&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/gnOmRnt_d.webp?maxwidth=1000&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/mqwwfRR_d.webp?maxwidth=1000&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/AKzFWMH_d.webp?maxwidth=1000&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/ZzaurMW_d.webp?maxwidth=1000&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/oKBx0gW_d.webp?maxwidth=1000&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/tapXazH_d.webp?maxwidth=1000&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

TheTravellers
08-30-2022, 09:19 AM
The power this forum has on this city on display. ...

Ha, nice wording... I wonder, though, if it's really that or if someone else has turned all these in, or if they were scheduled to be replaced anyway, or ..... I'd like to think that we make a difference by posting here, but I'm also a realist that thinks city/utility workers have better things to do than lurk on message boards (even one as great, informative, and wide-reaching as this one is).

bucktalk
08-30-2022, 10:08 AM
I turned this in to OG&E for it to be looked at

Thank you for doing what OG&E should be doing on their own. Ugh.

OKCbyTRANSFER
08-30-2022, 11:09 AM
Ha, nice wording... I wonder, though, if it's really that or if someone else has turned all these in, or if they were scheduled to be replaced anyway, or ..... I'd like to think that we make a difference by posting here, but I'm also a realist that thinks city/utility workers have better things to do than lurk on message boards (even one as great, informative, and wide-reaching as this one is).

I've been turning them in, granted I am only going by the pictures, but when the whole stretch is out, it's easier to identify. I'm glad they are being turned on.

TheTravellers
08-30-2022, 11:32 AM
I've been turning them in, granted I am only going by the pictures, but when the whole stretch is out, it's easier to identify. I'm glad they are being turned on.

Thank you for that.

bucktalk
08-31-2022, 04:26 AM
"I've been turning them in, granted I am only going by the pictures, but when the whole stretch is out, it's easier to identify. I'm glad they are being turned on."

OG&E should compensate you for your time/service (I say in jest) ;-)

OKCbyTRANSFER
08-31-2022, 06:59 PM
"I've been turning them in, granted I am only going by the pictures, but when the whole stretch is out, it's easier to identify. I'm glad they are being turned on."

OG&E should compensate you for your time/service (I say in jest) ;-)

Right? I hate to admit, between the Action Center and OG&E, I'm almost on a first name basis with them. Besides, the person taking the pictures is the real helper!

soonerguru
09-01-2022, 09:10 AM
LOL at the pic of the lights out on the street by OG&E hq.

catch22
09-01-2022, 09:50 AM
LOL at the pic of the lights out on the street by OG&E hq.

I love ironic art! That picture should be framed.

OKCbyTRANSFER
09-01-2022, 04:19 PM

And hanging in their lobby

bucktalk
09-01-2022, 05:09 PM

But be careful....they may ask for a rate increase!!!!

OKCbyTRANSFER
09-11-2022, 10:03 PM
Lights surrounding the Civic Center are out this weekend and very dark for patrons walking about at night. Reported to both the city and OG&E tonight. Hopefully they rectify soon.

bucktalk
09-12-2022, 07:15 AM
Most of the lights on the Oklahoma Blvd. heading west are still out. So. Very. Dark. in that stretch of the brand new road with brand new lights.

Jeepnokc
09-12-2022, 07:59 AM
The highway lights on I44 between SW 29th and SW 59th have been out for several months. Dark stretch of road at night

Jersey Boss
09-12-2022, 03:01 PM
In as much as this appears to be a problem in mutiple wards why is the mayor not addressed about this until it is remedied? He is the face of city hall after all.
I can't believe he has no influence in getting after the responsible entities.

bucktalk
09-13-2022, 09:56 AM
In as much as this appears to be a problem in mutiple wards why is the mayor not addressed about this until it is remedied? He is the face of city hall after all.
I can't believe he has no influence in getting after the responsible entities.

Indeed. I wish the mayor or even local new stations could put enough exposure to this problem to get it addressed.

TheTravellers
09-13-2022, 10:08 AM
Indeed. I wish the mayor or even local new stations could put enough exposure to this problem to get it addressed.

There *was* exposure, huge presentation in front of the city council and mayor with OG&E reps and city employees present, happened a few years ago, everybody agreed it was pathetic, they said they'd make it easier to report and they'd start fixing things. Guess what happened after the initial "Look how good we did" push.....

bucktalk
09-13-2022, 10:18 AM
The 'how to report the problem'....IS...the problem IMO.

If you were on a cruise ship -you paid for the service -yet you were responsible to report there was no food on the buffet line that would be ridiculous. In like manner, if you're providing power to the streetlights -isn't it your responsibility (as the service provider) to ensure the service works? Why they don't have a system or personnel to monitor the lights OG&E serves is just beyond me.

TheTravellers
09-13-2022, 10:23 AM
The 'how to report the problem'....IS...the problem IMO.

If you were on a cruise ship -you paid for the service -yet you were responsible to report there was no food on the buffet line that would be ridiculous. In like manner, if you're providing power to the streetlights -isn't it your responsibility (as the service provider) to ensure the service works? Why they don't have a system or personnel to monitor the lights OG&E serves is just beyond me.

I've (and others) have mentioned that dozens of times. Why OG&E can't pay someone(s) to drive around in a truck and drop a pin in a map whenever they see a light out, then someone(s) picks those pins up and replaces the lights isn't really beyond me, but it's ridiculous. OG&E won't do a damn thing that doesn't earn them money unless they're forced to, and for some reason, OKC isn't forcing them to keep the lights on. So nobody that has any power or will to do anything won't do anything. Who forces OKC to force OG&E to fix their (with a few exceptions) lights? And who *keeps* forcing them to do it forever?

bucktalk
09-13-2022, 10:25 AM
I've (and others) have mentioned that dozens of times. Why OG&E can't pay someone(s) to drive around in a truck and drop a pin in a map whenever they see a light out, then someone(s) picks those pins up and replaces the lights isn't really beyond me, but it's ridiculous. OG&E won't do a damn thing that doesn't earn them money unless they're forced to, and for some reason, OKC isn't forcing them to keep the lights on. So nobody that has any power or will to do anything won't do anything. Who forces OKC to force OG&E to fix their (with a few exceptions) lights? And who *keeps* forcing them to do it forever?

Yes! It appears this is such an easy problem to correct. Why all the feet dragging is beyond me.

Jersey Boss
09-13-2022, 11:10 AM

The pressure needs to be publicly put on the mayor. He needs to maintain the infrastructure in place and spend less time rubbing shoulders with entertainment figures and taking selfies.

TheTravellers
09-13-2022, 11:34 AM
The pressure needs to be publicly put on the mayor. He needs to maintain the infrastructure in place and spend less time rubbing shoulders with entertainment figures and taking selfies.

Then all the folks with social media accounts that are ticked off about the lights need to post @ him. I've said this multiple times - public shaming sometimes works. I'm not on any social media, so I can't do that, otherwise I'd be doing it daily (until he blocks me :)).

MagzOK
09-13-2022, 01:55 PM
Here’s a victim of the lack of lighting and who knows how many others there have been:

https://okcfox.com/news/local/make-it-safer-okc-woman-pleads-for-better-lights-on-i-44-after-car-accident

TheTravellers
09-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Here’s a victim of the lack of lighting and who knows how many others there have been:

https://okcfox.com/news/local/make-it-safer-okc-woman-pleads-for-better-lights-on-i-44-after-car-accident

"Fox 25 reached out to OG&E, but they declined to comment." - says it all...