View Full Version : El Coyote

Pages : 1 [2]

billeboy
10-13-2022, 11:55 AM
Used to be a pretty good one on Memorial at about Santa Fe years ago. Can’t remember the name though. That was early 80s.

You are thinking of Santa Fe Crossing. It was associated with Border Crossing of Norman.

Jersey Boss
10-13-2022, 12:33 PM
^ Thanks so much for taking the time to write this as well as spending good money to get the story. It pains me knowing that many will form their opinion on on this cuisine based on their experience at this establishment.
I will not write this off as a learning experience for new operators as they have been involved in other ventures and know what it takes. Frankly there is no excuse once they opened for business. Jeez, not sourcing hatch peppers is a huge fail.

soonerguru
10-13-2022, 02:00 PM
^ Thanks so much for taking the time to write this as well as spending good money to get the story. It pains me knowing that many will form their opinion on on this cuisine based on their experience at this establishment.
I will not write this off as a learning experience for new operators as they have been involved in other ventures and know what it takes. Frankly there is no excuse once they opened for business. Jeez, not sourcing hatch peppers is a huge fail.

My guess is they are just trying to cut corners. Lame.

Will Dearborn
10-13-2022, 08:21 PM
Frankly hard to believe these experiences are from the same restaurant...need the dust to settle because I'm not waiting hours to risk a mediocre meal.

rayvaflav
10-16-2022, 12:04 PM
Used to be a pretty good one on Memorial at about Santa Fe years ago. Can’t remember the name though. That was early 80s.

Santa Fe Crossing. I believe this spot would later turn into a small dance club, Birdie's, which would later relocate to a larger venue in the early days of Bricktown.

borchard
10-17-2022, 03:54 PM
We finally ate there on Friday. And, unfortunately, we weren't impressed with the food. Like one of the posters above we found the food fairly bland. I don't think we'll be going back any time soon, especially with the long wait times.

OKCRealtor
10-18-2022, 05:06 AM
I'm surprised to see the reviews on this place given chef/operator. I'll probably still check it out after awhile once the dust settles but gonna wait until I hear some better news and the wait isn't crazy.

Soonerinfiniti
04-22-2023, 02:30 PM
We finally made it to El Coyote. Don't understand why there aren't on-line reservations available but you can put your name on a waiting list online (when are you supposed to do that?). The wait was about 45 minutes and our group enjoyed the cocktails. We ate on the patio, which was lovely. The food was good, although not as spicy as we like when in Santa Fe, NM. The prices were surprisingly affordable (compared to Frida, another favorite of ours). Overall, a really nice evening. Looks like the brewery (Madhopper?) is getting close to opening.

ocugolf
05-01-2023, 09:44 AM
I think this place may be turning the corner. Went last week and it was by far the best experience I've had there.

soonerguru
06-27-2023, 09:38 PM
I think this place may be turning the corner. Went last week and it was by far the best experience I've had there.

Did they change the preparations for all of the items on the menu?

catcherinthewry
06-28-2023, 06:48 AM
Did they change the preparations for all of the items on the menu?

My thoughts exactly. I had so much hope for this restaurant because I love New Mexican cuisine. They have some of the blandest food I've ever eaten.

mgharfeh
06-28-2023, 08:01 AM
I agree. I went recently and the food and service were both amazing

Soonerinfiniti
06-28-2023, 12:55 PM
Went last Friday and it wasn't very crowded. Chilis were a little better than last time but nothing like we've ever had in Santa Fe, NM.

OkieBerto
06-28-2023, 01:14 PM
Never had bad service here, but the food is always so bland. I don't think I will go back unless it is for chips and queso and some cocktails. Does anyone else feel like the food is lacking in flavor?

Rover
06-28-2023, 08:33 PM
Never had bad service here, but the food is always so bland. I don't think I will go back unless it is for chips and queso and some cocktails. Does anyone else feel like the food is lacking in flavor?
Yes… especially for Mexican food cuisine.

borchard
07-07-2023, 10:20 AM

Yes. For New Mexican cuisine we definitely prefer Green Chili Kitchen on 66 in Yukon.

OkieinGeorgia
07-07-2023, 04:49 PM
So, are the folks calling it bland.... Are you familiar with New Mexican food? That's usually what people say about NM cuisine even it's their first time to yep try it. Just wondering.

catcherinthewry
07-07-2023, 08:14 PM
So, are the folks calling it bland.... Are you familiar with New Mexican food? That's usually what people say about NM cuisine even it's their first time to yep try it. Just wondering.

El Coyote's food is not what I get when I go to Taos or Red River. New Mexico is famous for Hatch Chilis for a reason.

OkieinGeorgia
07-07-2023, 09:28 PM
El Coyote's food is not what I get when I go to Taos or Red River. New Mexico is famous for Hatch Chilis for a reason.

Yeah, I agree. Just wondering if maybe that was some of the issue with this place for some.

Rover
07-09-2023, 09:44 AM

My brother lives in Albuquerque and is in the food business. I’ve been to quite a few authentic NM cuisine restaurants and bland is not the description I would ever use to describe them. And I wouldn’t call Coyote NM food.

soonerguru
07-09-2023, 12:56 PM

I am very familiar with New Mexican food, which is definitely not bland by any measure. Coyote is nothing like the great, flavorful, spicy red and green chile-based food I crave whenever I think about New Mexico.

Pete
07-09-2023, 04:37 PM
I wonder how they are doing?

I was by there a couple of Saturdays ago and it looked jam-packed.

sooner88
07-10-2023, 07:27 AM

We went last week for dinner and it was packed. It was only my second time there.... the first time I got the birria tacos which were on special and they were amazing. I got the burrito Christmas style this time and it was not the best. It seems like tacos are the move there.

OkieinGeorgia
07-10-2023, 08:20 AM
We went last week for dinner and it was packed. It was only my second time there.... the first time I got the birria tacos which were on special and they were amazing. I got the burrito Christmas style this time and it was not the best. It seems like tacos are the move there.

Well, that's unfortunate. I mean, if you call yourself a New Mexican place you need to nail the Christmas enchiladas, first and foremost. Christmas enchiladas, pork posole, and sopapillas (and not the sugar cinnamon covered ones that are actually buñuelos, but rather ones to eat with dinner like a tortilla).

OkieBerto
07-10-2023, 09:37 AM

New Mexico is my second home. I have spent most of my time that isn't in Oklahoma, in New Mexico. I even traveled there last November and then had El Coyote in December. If you are claiming your food is inspired by the flavors of a region and those flavors aren't in the food, that is a problem. It looks like New Mexico in there, but the food is lacking in flavor.

OkieBerto
07-10-2023, 09:39 AM

I think this place is great for chips, queso, and cocktails on the patio. The bar is a great spot as well. I just won't ever get main entrees there. I have a feeling this place will be here for many years. I am rooting for their success even if I don't care for the entrees.

Rover
07-10-2023, 09:52 AM
New Mexico is my second home. I have spent most of my time that isn't in Oklahoma, in New Mexico. I even traveled there last November and then had El Coyote in December. If you are claiming your food is inspired by the flavors of a region and those flavors aren't in the food, that is a problem. It looks like New Mexico in there, but the food is lacking in flavor.

The problem they are facing is that NM is very close and many Oklahomans go there. If they were claiming NY Pizza, well frankly, most OKCitians haven't ever had real NY Pizza so they accept faux NY style pizza as real and accept the tastes. For the most part, Oklahomans KNOW what NM cuisine is and can judge for themselves. If they can't BE NM cuisine, they should quit claiming it.

Dob Hooligan
07-10-2023, 11:18 AM
They have been open long enough to be past the "Honeymoon Phase" and appear to be quite busy. Their customers seem to think they are serving food and drink they like. Not sure why that is bad?

Mott
07-10-2023, 06:16 PM
Went a while back, nice ambiance, enjoyed the staff, but the food isn’t New Mexican. And the sopapilla was a horrible deep fried Lump of dough. Spent a lot of time in Santa Fe back in the 70’s-80’s and ate a lot of green and red Chile. Here’s what we do to have NM at home. Put some Rancho Gordo pintos in the slow cooker with garlic and a bay leaf. Cover with boiling water, and they are ready in 2 hours. Make a roux of some chopped garlic, olive oil, and a tablespoon of flour. Dump one whole container of Bueno mild, and 1/3 container of hot green Chile (@ Homeland and Uptown), into the roux, when unthawed add the beans, and whatever else. Now serve with some nice tortillas, and Bob’s your uncle.

Rover
07-10-2023, 08:48 PM
They have been open long enough to be past the "Honeymoon Phase" and appear to be quite busy. Their customers seem to think they are serving food and drink they like. Not sure why that is bad?

McDonalds is busy too, but it doesn't make it good food. I agree with the previous poster who identified their popularity as drinks and a patio.

barrettd
07-11-2023, 05:45 AM
McDonalds is busy too, but it doesn't make it good food. I agree with the previous poster who identified their popularity as drinks and a patio.

That's the appeal to me. A nice place to hang out and have a drink. I still haven't gone yet, though, but I'm glad they're staying busy.

OkieBerto
07-11-2023, 09:20 AM

I actually think in this case the service and surroundings are what makes people return. I just went to a place I hadn't been to and it has done really well. It had the opposite problem, the food was good, but the service and surrounding were horrible and it is way too pricey. The cocktails were not good at all. I will not be going back to this place even though the food was good. El Coyote has great service and one of the best patios. It will win out most of the time.

Pete
02-02-2024, 07:52 AM
Stopped in for an early drink last night and by the time I left (around 6:30) every seat inside and out was filled and there was a line out the door.

Of course, it was a gorgeous day which had a lot to do with it.

catcherinthewry
02-02-2024, 03:39 PM
Stopped in for an early drink last night and by the time I left (around 6:30) every seat inside and out was filled and there was a line out the door.

Just imagine if they had good food.

Oski
02-03-2024, 08:18 AM
Just imagine if they had good food.

Sounds like you don't like their food?

The
02-03-2024, 08:30 AM

Quality of the food was, at least for awhile, a pretty consistent complaint.

king183
02-03-2024, 01:30 PM

I went for the first time last night. We were there at the same time so I must have walked past you at the bar. It was absolutely packed and people were coming in, being told it was a 90 minute wait. I was anxious to try the food because I had heard bad things. I thought it was perfectly good, and after trying it I’m now convinced the majority of people who have complained about it simply expect Tex mex and aren’t prepared for the different taste of New Mexican food.

MagzOK
02-03-2024, 01:49 PM
My wife and I frequent Santa Fe two to three times per year. El Coyote misses the mark when it comes to the taste of northern NM. The two times we've been here it was subpar in comparison. We were really disappointed. Aside from that, the patio area is great unless there's a north wind blowing in the smell of the dumpster and grease pit, which happened one of our visits.

catcherinthewry
02-03-2024, 03:20 PM

New Mexican food, especially northern NM is one of my favorite cuisines. I get a case of smoked hatch chilis every year from Crest and freeze them and use them year round. El Coyote's food is very bland. The venue itself is great, though.

Rover
02-03-2024, 05:28 PM
I went for the first time last night. We were there at the same time so I must have walked past you at the bar. It was absolutely packed and people were coming in, being told it was a 90 minute wait. I was anxious to try the food because I had heard bad things. I thought it was perfectly good, and after trying it I’m now convinced the majority of people who have complained about it simply expect Tex mex and aren’t prepared for the different taste of New Mexican food.

Yes, if only it WAS New Mexican Food. El Coyote isn't. Most people just take their work for it. It's just marketing.

Dob Hooligan
02-03-2024, 06:44 PM
Yes, if only it WAS New Mexican Food. El Coyote isn't. Most people just take their work for it. It's just marketing.

Appears it is very effective marketing. Are you going to tell them how they are failing and how to do it better?

TheTravellers
02-03-2024, 07:08 PM
Appears it is very effective marketing. Are you going to tell them how they are failing and how to do it better?

I haven't been there, but from the comments I've read, I'd say they're not failing from a monetary/business-sense viewpoint, but failing on delivering authentic New Mexican cuisine, and that could be fixed by going to New Mexico and seeing how they do it there (or at least using recipes that are authentically New Mexican), then test the recipes out with people that are completely familiar with and know New Mexican food. I always thought it was surprising that Stranger says he's from New Mexico (or went on vacations there or spent some considerable time there or ...), yet he's not delivering what people think of when they think of New Mexican food.

But if they stay busy and make money, as long as someone has their expectations set, then more power to them, I guess.

Rover
02-03-2024, 09:37 PM

Nope. If people who don’t know better want to believe it’s New Mexican, great. If they like it, great. They can call it Italian if they want.

Oski
02-03-2024, 10:10 PM
I'm visiting Santa Fe next month, can you please recommend some good restaurants to try? Thank you!

Urbanized
02-03-2024, 10:23 PM
^^^^^^^^
Too many places there to list economically, really. Lots of holes in the wall, family places, fine dining options, many of them incredible. But personally my favorites are La Choza, The Shed, and Cafe Pasquale (especially for breakfast).

catcherinthewry
02-04-2024, 06:59 AM
Are you going to tell them how they are failing and how to do it better?

For starters they could just google "recipes with hatch chilis".

Rover
02-04-2024, 08:51 AM

BTW, McDonald’s is very successful but I wouldn’t call it New Mexican food either. Though, they do have stores in New Mexico. �� So, maybe it is New Mexican food after all.

MagzOK
02-04-2024, 09:11 AM
I'm visiting Santa Fe next month, can you please recommend some good restaurants to try? Thank you!

Cafe Pasquale and the Burrito Company for breakfast. The Denver Omelette at Pasquale is to die for and the breakfast Migas dish at Burrito Co is incredible, don't forget the bacon roll. We give Plaza Cafe high marks, too, as it's more diner style with some New Mexican flare. La Plazuela inside the La Fonda Hotel is superb -- they have the best chile relleno, their drinks are great, and the century old space is beautiful. Palacio, Tune Up Cafe, The Compound, Tomasitas, La Choza -- La Choza is owned by the same folks who own The Shed. Over the last 30 years or so, The Shed has become way too touristy for our taste and you wait for hours and the food is okay. Go to their other restaurant La Choza where in our opinion both the food and service are the better of the two. Okay so if you wanted to try a New Mexican style hamburger try Santa Fe Bite. They also have some good patty melts, etc. If you like milkshakes, the cherry milkshake is life changing at Blake's Lottaburger on N Guadalupe just outside of the Plaza. I had never even heard of a cherry milkshake made from cherry ice cream -- nobody around here does them. Well, Tuckers has one they do annually but it's cherry vanilla, not made from cherry ice cream. Anyway, the burger there is pretty good, too, if you want to change it up.

If you really want a treat, make a lunch reservation and take short leisurely drive north of SF out to Rancho de Chimayo. First of all it's a beautiful drive. Then the food is incredible. It's inside an old New Mexican ranch house.

We visit on average about once per quarter or maybe a little longer, but several times per year. These are our favorite restaurants.

I'll tie this into El Coyote -- I mean, the patio is nice and when you walk through the restaurant sure you have a similar feeling of walking through the 300 year old building where the Shed is located in Santa Fe, but in the two times we've tried it the food just doesn't compare to any out there. El Coyote has queso fresco all over their menu which you will not find in most places in SF. Where is the butternut squash, pasole, nixtamal corn, or hominy on the EC menu? El Coyote has avocado all over the menu and you just don't find avocados in New Mexican food. Now I do love avocados, but we're talking about authenticity here. And another thing, you will not find anaheim peppers anywhere in SF which is what El Coyote bases just about all their dishes. They use hatch chiles in NM.

On a side note -- if you're driving from OKC, Amarillo is exactly four hours and a good stopping point. We will usually stop, stretch, and eat at Blue Sky Hamburgers on the way out there for an awesome awesome burger. They have incredible onion strings if you're into those. On the way back we will do the same but at Rosa's Cafe for some semi fast Tex-Mex. I grew up with Rosas in Midland and San Angelo and it's just as good now as it was then. Their tortillas and queso . . .

Dob Hooligan
02-04-2024, 10:02 AM
BTW, McDonald’s is very successful but I wouldn’t call it New Mexican food either. Though, they do have stores in New Mexico. �� So, maybe it is New Mexican food after all.

McDonald’s does not claim to be New Mexican food, or any locational food. It does claim to be, and is, hamburgers, French fires and other fast food. They operate in a category with countless competitors, and they are more successful than any restaurant on earth. While many people claim that it is not “proper” or “quality” hamburgers, the vast majority are buying and eating them.

Urbanized
02-04-2024, 10:09 AM
I do think McDonald’s should add a hatch chili burger to the menu and take this thread full circle

OkieBerto
02-04-2024, 10:43 AM
I haven't been there, but from the comments I've read, I'd say they're not failing from a monetary/business-sense viewpoint, but failing on delivering authentic New Mexican cuisine, and that could be fixed by going to New Mexico and seeing how they do it there (or at least using recipes that are authentically New Mexican), then test the recipes out with people that are completely familiar with and know New Mexican food. I always thought it was surprising that Stranger says he's from New Mexico (or went on vacations there or spent some considerable time there or ...), yet he's not delivering what people think of when they think of New Mexican food.

But if they stay busy and make money, as long as someone has their expectations set, then more power to them, I guess.

Stranger has been to New Mexico and likely tried many restaurants there. Heck, there is also an Italian place there called Osteria. I totally agree with you on how to update the New Mexican menu. All he needs are some good ol yearly Santa Fe vacationers to come and eat for free and they will give great notes. I will be there in 2 weeks. I will probably stop by just about every place that claims to be authentic New Mexican food.

OkieBerto
02-04-2024, 10:50 AM

Palacio is a great spot. I try and go every time I am there. There are some James Beard Nominees there too. Alkemē Is up for Best New Restaurant
, Dolina Cafe and Bakery is up for best chef, Zacatlan is also up for best chef. I am going in two weeks and trying everything I can. Have fun!

OkieBerto
02-04-2024, 10:55 AM

If you need effective marketing to convince people the food is good, then you might have a problem. Some of the best places never spend a dime on marketing and will still fill the house every day. Stranger has always been a great marketer and someone who runs a great location. I have always enjoyed being at his establishments, but the food seems to always have some sort of problem. El Coyote will be successful no matter if he changes the menu or not. People love the location and the drinks, and the way the staff treats them.

Dob Hooligan
02-04-2024, 01:01 PM
I'm gonna suggest when the McDonald's comparisons come in, then we are a few posts away from the "snob" vs "unwashed" argument, and then Pete has to delete a few posts and knock our heads together.

So, in the interest of detente.

I am old enough to (barely) remember a time when McDonald's wasn't in OKC, and Mexican food was almost exclusively El Chico or El Charrito. Anyone else have an older relative who honestly said "Pissa", because that "Pizza" word was really foreign?

As new food categories are introduced to an area, one way to help it succeed and grow long term is to make it appeal to the most tummies possible at the beginning and broaden the variety with time. Hence my earlier Mexican and Pizza references. I recall the early version of those foods to OKC would be considered weak or inauthentic today. But they did well then and helped broaden the understanding and market.

I think food arousal might be the most subjective interest in all humanity. Only thing more subjective might be sexual arousal. They are both intensely personal and drive strong opinions.

Rover
02-04-2024, 02:53 PM
I'm gonna suggest when the McDonald's comparisons come in, then we are a few posts away from the "snob" vs "unwashed" argument, and then Pete has to delete a few posts and knock our heads together.

So, in the interest of detente.

I am old enough to (barely) remember a time when McDonald's wasn't in OKC, and Mexican food was almost exclusively El Chico or El Charrito. Anyone else have an older relative who honestly said "Pissa", because that "Pizza" word was really foreign?

As new food categories are introduced to an area, one way to help it succeed and grow long term is to make it appeal to the most tummies possible at the beginning and broaden the variety with time. Hence my earlier Mexican and Pizza references. I recall the early version of those foods to OKC would be considered weak or inauthentic today. But they did well then and helped broaden the understanding and market.

I think food arousal might be the most subjective interest in all humanity. Only thing more subjective might be sexual arousal. They are both intensely personal and drive strong opinions.
Well that got strange quickly.

Okc is well past the time you want to fall back on. Btw I am probably at least your age. Back then, Okc wasn’t alone in the infancy of ethnic food offerings and the naivety.

Saying that El Coyote isn’t authentic NM food isn’t arrousal or preference , it is just inaccurate.

OkieBerto
02-05-2024, 08:47 AM
As someone who grew up in OKC in the 80's, I remember loving Latin, Asian, and Mediterranean foods. I went to school with the Sweiss family. We have had plenty of flavors in this town for a very long time. Not sure we really need to appeal to most tummies. I think tummies are begging for authentic foods from around the world. Just look at the lines at Kacao. My favorite new spot is Riserva. I am at Basil a few times a month. I love how much we have to choose from here.

ManAboutTown
02-05-2024, 09:26 AM
Cafe Pasquale and the Burrito Company for breakfast. The Denver Omelette at Pasquale is to die for and the breakfast Migas dish at Burrito Co is incredible, don't forget the bacon roll. We give Plaza Cafe high marks, too, as it's more diner style with some New Mexican flare. La Plazuela inside the La Fonda Hotel is superb -- they have the best chile relleno, their drinks are great, and the century old space is beautiful. Palacio, Tune Up Cafe, The Compound, Tomasitas, La Choza -- La Choza is owned by the same folks who own The Shed. Over the last 30 years or so, The Shed has become way too touristy for our taste and you wait for hours and the food is okay. Go to their other restaurant La Choza where in our opinion both the food and service are the better of the two. Okay so if you wanted to try a New Mexican style hamburger try Santa Fe Bite. They also have some good patty melts, etc. If you like milkshakes, the cherry milkshake is life changing at Blake's Lottaburger on N Guadalupe just outside of the Plaza. I had never even heard of a cherry milkshake made from cherry ice cream -- nobody around here does them. Well, Tuckers has one they do annually but it's cherry vanilla, not made from cherry ice cream. Anyway, the burger there is pretty good, too, if you want to change it up.

We visit on average about once per quarter or maybe a little longer, but several times per year. These are our favorite restaurants.

I'll tie this into El Coyote -- I mean, the patio is nice and when you walk through the restaurant sure you have a similar feeling of walking through the 300 year old building where the Shed is located in Santa Fe, but in the two times we've tried it the food just doesn't compare to any out there. El Coyote has queso fresco all over their menu which you will not find in most places in SF. Where is the butternut squash, pasole, nixtamal corn, or hominy on the EC menu? El Coyote has avocado all over the menu and you just don't find avocados in New Mexican food. Now I do love avocados, but we're talking about authenticity here. And another thing, you will not find anaheim peppers anywhere in SF which is what El Coyote bases just about all their dishes. They use hatch chiles in NM.Not to split hairs, because I personally believe that they have THE BEST food in Santa Fe, but it's Cafe PASQUAL'S, not Pasquale, named for St. Pasqual, the patron saint of cooks and kitchens.

Also, you asked where certain things are on El Coyote's menu, specifically posole and hominy, when clearly the posole is on the appetizer menu and hominy is served with entrees as a side dish.

You also stated that El Coyote has avocado "all over the menu" and said "you just don't find avocados in New Mexican food," when Cafe Pasqual's also has avocado and guacamole frequently on its menus (including on their Carne Asada, which may be the best I've ever tasted). Neither restaurant offers guac or avocado on their "traditional" New Mexican dishes like stacked/layered enchiladas with Christmas sauce and green chili cheeseburgers, but both clearly offer dishes with these ingredients.

Are you going to find avocado or guacamole at a small, traditional New Mexican restaurant in Santa Fe or the rest of the state? No, just as you won't find chicken fried rice, ham sandwiches or coq au vin. However, both Cafe Pasqual's and El Coyote have varied menus with a mixture of New Mexican, Mexican, and Tex-Mex dishes. Taking shots at El Coyote for not being "authentic New Mexican" is misplaced, as Cafe Pasqual is also clearly not authentic New Mexican.

Look, I have no stake in the success or failure of El Coytote. I have met Jonathon Stranger once or twice but don't personally know him. I simply think the criticism of El Coyote literally as soon as it opened about it not being "authentic" is misplaced and unfair. The food and cocktails are tasty. The bar and patio areas are welcoming, cozy and frequently packed with patrons, and by most standards this restaurant appears to be very successful.

If you want an "authentic New Mexican restaurant" without avocados, head to some Mom-and-Pop place in Taos, Red River, or many other places in Santa Fe. Just don't head to Cafe Pasqual's, because that's not what that outstanding restaurant purports aspires to be.

MagzOK
02-05-2024, 11:12 AM
Are you going to find avocado or guacamole at a small, traditional New Mexican restaurant in Santa Fe or the rest of the state? No, just as you won't find chicken fried rice, ham sandwiches or coq au vin. However, both Cafe Pasqual's and El Coyote have varied menus with a mixture of New Mexican, Mexican, and Tex-Mex dishes. Taking shots at El Coyote for not being "authentic New Mexican" is misplaced .....

I don't believe it's misplaced. El Coyote clearly paints itself to be a "New Mexican Bar and Cantina" -- it's right there front and center on their website. They are not aiming to be a "mixture" of cuisines. That's fine if they want to be that, but in looking at their website and their menus at the restaurant they want to be a New Mexican restaurant. So I will critique it as much.

Thanks.