View Full Version : Boom Town Creamery

Pete
02-13-2022, 06:51 AM
A couple that just moved to OKC from Kansas City is planning a small-batch ice cream shop at 601 NW 23rd next to Hurts Donut.

The space has a great display case storefront with original tile entry.

They'll make everything on-site; should be a great addition to the district.

https://www.facebook.com/boomtowncreameryokc

https://www.instagram.com/boomtowncreamery/

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown020922d.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown020922c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown020922a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown020922b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown020922f.jpg

Jeepnokc
02-13-2022, 08:05 AM
Great addition to this area. Their website says coming May 22nd. Their website isn't fully built out yet but here it is:

https://boomtowncreamery.com/

Pete
02-13-2022, 08:07 AM
Great addition to this area. Their website says coming May 22nd. Their website isn't fully built out yet but here it is:

https://boomtowncreamery.com/

They told me June at the earliest. They just filed for their building permit.

PhiAlpha
02-14-2022, 08:32 PM
Two business that sell sugary foods/deserts in the same building as a dentist. What a perfect pairing lol

MagzOK
02-23-2022, 10:04 AM
Two business that sell sugary foods/deserts in the same building as a dentist. What a perfect pairing lol

Haha! I love this observation!

MagzOK
02-23-2022, 10:04 AM
I'm really looking forward to trying out this ice cream!

Pete
06-20-2022, 12:21 PM
Boom Town Creamery opens Wednesday.

Hours will be Monday thru Thursday noon to 11 PM. Friday and Saturday, noon to midnight. Closed Sunday.

Made from scratch daily in small batches. Flavors shown on their website: https://boomtowncreamery.com/index.php/flavors/

They've done a fantastic job with that space, including the jewel box storefront along 23rd. There is also a door at the rear, facing the large parking lot. They are in the process of permitting for the future neon sign.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown062022c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown062022e.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown062022a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown062022b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown062022d.jpg

shartel_ave
06-20-2022, 12:54 PM
luckiest dentist ever

Anonymous.
06-20-2022, 01:08 PM
Okay that mural is awesome.

Pete
06-20-2022, 01:18 PM
Okay that mural is awesome.

All their design and branding is great.

They paid a lot of attention to the details and it shows. So happy to see the best possible use for that little space.

Ginkasa
06-24-2022, 07:05 PM
Checked this out with the family tonight. We split the 6 scoop flight so we could try several different flavors. We got:

Madagascar Vanilla (as a sort of baseline)
Cookie Dough
Carmelita Cookie Crumble
S'mores
Thunder Road
Strawberry Basil Sorbet

They were all good! There was a line to the door when we got there about maybe 6 (but the wait wasn't too long) and by the time we were leaving the line was out the door and around the corner.

Urbanized
06-24-2022, 08:20 PM
I’ll visit if for no reason other than the jewel box storefront. OKC proper has almost none of them remaining. At one time there were probably many, MANY dozens (more likely hundreds).

DoctorTaco
06-25-2022, 11:04 AM
Went there yesterday and the ice cream was outstanding. Best I have had in OKC. Tried the strawberry basalmic sorbet and it was divine. The basalmic was very subtle; I had been worried it might come on too strong. Also had the Chocolate Tornado which was very dark and exquisite.

The ice cream was as good as any I've had (and I'm including in that comparison gelato from my trip to Italy).

Thomas Vu
06-26-2022, 07:25 PM
Was hoping to visit today, but they're closed on Sunday. Hoping my 5+year ice cream search ends.

Pete
06-29-2022, 10:33 AM
I wanted to commend Angela Muir who owns and operates this business.

Angela has worked her tail off and spent a bunch of money on bringing this historic space back to life, and did it the right way. Tons of attention to detail. She roped in photographers and designers and then did a bunch of things herself, like the big ice cream displays in the jewel box windows.

She has also been slaving away in the kitchen late into the evenings; I know because I've been by there late and have seen her working in the back, trying to get fresh batches ready for the next day.

Angela also runs their social media and has done a great job in promoting Boom Town in general.

I meet tons of people looking to open their own business here in OKC, and almost always talk to them long before they open. And every time I do, I think to myself "they are going to do very well" or "God help them".

Let's just say that it's not that hard to predict what businesses are going to make it vs. those who are likely to struggle.

LocoAko
07-02-2022, 12:32 PM
Went yesterday and loved the ice cream. Everything we tried was fantastic, even the more creative flavors (like sweet corn ice cream with corn bread and jalapenos).

RickOKC
07-05-2022, 10:14 PM
Took the family there tonight and was pleased by the whole experience—great ice cream, friendly and patient employees, and a clean and inviting space.

We found out once we were there that they have a kids scoop option (not on the menu) that made it relatively affordable for our family.

Agreed with Pete above. Through the years of trying new places in OKC, some just have a “special sauce,” and it’s all about well-executed details (food, visuals, price structure, location/setting). I noticed all of that at Boom Town Creamery, and based on the steady stream of customers after 10:00pm on a Tuesday night, I think others have noticed, too.

Thomas Vu
07-09-2022, 10:41 PM
Was hoping to visit today, but they're closed on Sunday. Hoping my 5+year ice cream search ends.

I've been twice since and I've loved it. My search is over.

SEMIweather
07-09-2022, 11:12 PM
We need to beam a live stream of how busy this place is after 9 p.m. on weeknights / 10 p.m. on weekends directly into the eyeballs of every owner of a coffeeshop in the core until one of them is persuaded to stay open later than 6 p.m. :wink:

shawnw
07-10-2022, 08:25 AM
Perets is open late (and is usually packed), just FYI

SEMIweather
07-10-2022, 05:53 PM
Perets is open late (and is usually packed), just FYI

Thank you!

Pete
07-10-2022, 06:15 PM
All About Cha in Bricktown is open every night until 10 PM.

Pete
07-16-2022, 08:07 AM
I went by Boom Town last night around 9:30 and there was a line out the door.

Happy to see this place do so well.

JulyWalks
07-16-2022, 08:57 AM
I went by Boom Town last night around 9:30 and there was a line out the door.

Happy to see this place do so well.

I drove by about an hour later at 10:30p and saw that it was hopping as well. So I went in and got a single scoop of 'Do You Realize?'

I think it's going to do a lot better than the Orange Leaf frozen yogurt store that was where Ted's Cantina moved into.

David
07-16-2022, 04:12 PM
I finally got around to trying this place today after lunchtime, and was quite pleased with the Lemon Berry Bliss seasonal flavor I tried. It was reasonably busy, seating was mostly full when I arrived but no line, but by the time I left a sizable line had formed. They definitely appear to be doing well at least judging by the crowd.

mattjank
07-18-2022, 07:24 AM
Tried it out about 9:15 on Friday night and there was a line out the door. Moved relatively quickly. Really like that they have a mini sampler where you can choose 6 "small" scoops. Really enjoyed everything we had.

SEMIweather
10-07-2022, 08:04 AM
Sam Anderson is doing a book signing here on Tuesday 10/11.

Ginkasa
10-07-2022, 08:39 AM
Heck, that sounds like a really cool time, but I've got a class that evening.

Boop
10-09-2022, 10:11 AM
Heck, that sounds like a really cool time, but I've got a class that evening.

Skipping class is not going to hurt or kill you so just go and have a fun time

Ginkasa
10-10-2022, 07:16 AM
Ha, its tempting but the class is fairly expensive and there are people depending on me attending.

CCOKC
10-12-2022, 12:05 PM
I totally forgot about this event last night and went just to get some ice cream. There was a nice crowd there in line to get Sam's autograph. The owner and her husband were out front for crowd control as they had a line for ice cream and another for book signing. What a nice couple they are!

Pete
10-12-2022, 02:12 PM
^

The people that run Boomtown are great examples of how to operate and promote a local business.

They have worked their tails off to do things right and are constantly promoting themselves. As a result, they have done great business even though their prices could be regarded as high. Of course, they are making everything by hand with high-quality ingredients but still, there were lots of comments on social media about "I can go to Braum's for much cheaper".

Anyway, I talk to so many small businesses and restaurant owners before they open their doors and I can pretty much predict which will succeed. And I knew this was going to be a home run the first time I talked to them (and well before they had even started construction).

Pete
03-31-2023, 05:58 AM
When Angela Muir (center in the photo below) and her husband moved to OKC a few years ago, she soon discovered we didn't have anything like the small-batch, hand-crafted ice cream place that they had loved in Kansas City.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown033123c.jpg

Before long the idea of Boom Town Creamery was born and after a ton of hard work, it has been a big hit in their charming spot in Uptown -- quite the accomplishment given the local dominance of Braum's.

They are now set to open two brand new locations (Edmond and South OKC/Moore) and a central production facility near I-40 and Meridian, all less than a year after opening last June.

Boom Town will be taking over the Dolci Paradiso spots (closing April 3rd) at SW 104th and May and at 17 E. 5th in Edmond, next to Stephenson Park.

Look for the new stores to open in May. Stay tuned here or follow Boom Town Creamery's social media for the exact dates.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown033123b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown033123e.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown033123f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown033123g.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown033123h.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown033123j.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown033123i.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtown033123k.jpg

dheinz44
03-31-2023, 06:06 AM
They do a phenomenal job. It reminds me a lot of Jeni's Ice Cream stores.

Pete
03-31-2023, 06:12 AM
I wanted to commend Angela Muir who owns and operates this business.

Angela has worked her tail off and spent a bunch of money on bringing this historic space back to life, and did it the right way. Tons of attention to detail. She roped in photographers and designers and then did a bunch of things herself, like the big ice cream displays in the jewel box windows.

She has also been slaving away in the kitchen late into the evenings; I know because I've been by there late and have seen her working in the back, trying to get fresh batches ready for the next day.

Angela also runs their social media and has done a great job in promoting Boom Town in general.

I meet tons of people looking to open their own business here in OKC, and almost always talk to them long before they open. And every time I do, I think to myself "they are going to do very well" or "God help them".

Let's just say that it's not that hard to predict what businesses are going to make it vs. those who are likely to struggle.

I posted this just after they opened their first location.

It's not enough to have a good product or food and so few people that launch a new business understand this. Those that do, prosper.

Ginkasa
03-31-2023, 04:39 PM
That's awesome. We really enjoy them and just stopped in the other day. We'll still be visiting the OG location but I'm glad they're doing so well.

Boop
03-31-2023, 08:57 PM
I do not know if any ice cream will top Braum's but I will give it a try when it opens in South Oklahoma City/Moore

chssooner
03-31-2023, 09:25 PM
I do not know if any ice cream will top Braum's but I will give it a try when it opens in South Oklahoma City/Moore

Apples and oranges. Similar to Michelob vs Stonecloud. Mainstream vs niche. They both serve a purpose, and are both good.

Thomas Vu
04-02-2023, 08:53 AM
So glad for them, they deserve it.

BoulderSooner
04-02-2023, 01:47 PM
went by Dolci Paradiso (Edmond) last night (it is one of our favorite after dinner spots) they close for good today at 5pm ..

MagzOK
04-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Looking forward to the one in Edmond. I just hope they don't overextend themselves to quickly like Roxy's did who ended up closing most of their "newer" locations not long after opening them.

OkieBerto
04-03-2023, 08:17 AM
went by Dolci Paradiso (Edmond) last night (it is one of our favorite after dinner spots) they close for good today at 5pm ..

Did the same, but went to the south OKC location. Gonna miss their Tiramisu Gelato. Boomtown is so good though! Glad it will still be an ice cream spot!

BoulderSooner
04-03-2023, 09:50 AM
Did the same, but went to the south OKC location. Gonna miss their Tiramisu Gelato. Boomtown is so good though! Glad it will still be an ice cream spot!

that is what I had on Saturday .. it is so good ..

Martin
04-03-2023, 02:58 PM
really glad to see this coming to the southside but it is kind of sad that things didn't work out for the people at dolci paradiso.

Teo9969
04-03-2023, 03:21 PM
that is what I had on Saturday .. it is so good ..

You should pitch the idea to Angela Muir that she buy the recipe off Dolci Paradiso and it can act as a sort of "throwback"

PaddyShack
04-03-2023, 04:03 PM
I still have yet to try their Cookies and Cream, they have always been sold out both from the counter and their to-go pints... It has been aggravating to say the least.

Pete
05-09-2023, 07:03 AM
The location at SW 104th & May opens May 17th.

progressiveboy
05-09-2023, 11:45 AM
What a great business plan! So happy the proprietor is having much success!

therhett17
09-14-2023, 06:44 AM
https://kfor.com/news/local/local-ice-cream-shop-goes-cashless/#:~:text=OKLAHOMA%20CITY%20(KFOR)%20%E2%80%94%20It 's,the%20owner%20of%20Boomtown%20Creamery.

BoulderSooner
09-14-2023, 07:35 AM
https://kfor.com/news/local/local-ice-cream-shop-goes-cashless/#:~:text=OKLAHOMA%20CITY%20(KFOR)%20%E2%80%94%20It 's,the%20owner%20of%20Boomtown%20Creamery.

when i hear things like this it makes me want to go to the place and make a big order and then only present cash at the register .. (i would never do this of course)

but everywhere should take cash ..

KTB
09-14-2023, 11:55 AM
Cash transactions are less than 5% of my retail businesses. It's honestly become more trouble than it's worth. We have to count drawers several times a day and always keep petty cash around. It's time consuming, error prone and can be an employee safety concern. I don't think I'll quit accepting it as payment but I understand the trend. With Boom Town's late hours and location I understand.

FighttheGoodFight
09-14-2023, 12:10 PM
I had actually looked up once if refusing cash is illegal and it's a bit tricky how it works.

A business can legally refuse you service if you do not provide a payment method they choose to accept, but they cannot refuse to accept cash as payment for a debt incurred due to services already rendered.All because of the word debts. "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private"

So for a place like Boomtown that is pretty easy. Credit card when you place the order or no service.

fortpatches
09-14-2023, 01:01 PM
I had actually looked up once if refusing cash is illegal and it's a bit tricky how it works.

A business can legally refuse you service if you do not provide a payment method they choose to accept, but they cannot refuse to accept cash as payment for a debt incurred due to services already rendered.All because of the word debts. "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private"

So for a place like Boomtown that is pretty easy. Credit card when you place the order or no service.

The other part of that is usually notice. So if you have a sign that says you do not accept cash, if a service is then performed, they should be able to refuse cash and require other methods.

Also, The Federal Reserve says there is no federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services.The bills may say “legal tender for all debts, public and private,” but a business doesn’t have to take them.
There are some places like Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Jersey that have state laws requiring cash be accepted but, again, there is nothing at the federal level.

Pete
09-14-2023, 01:03 PM
The other huge thing about businesses that take in a lot of cash is tax fraud.

What percentage of cash receipts do you think bars and haircutters report as income?

BoulderSooner
09-14-2023, 01:59 PM

of course they make your food (and usually hand it to you) before you pay

Pete
09-14-2023, 02:43 PM
of course they make your food (and usually hand it to you) before you pay

Not at counter service which is what we are talking about.

BoulderSooner
09-14-2023, 02:59 PM
Not at counter service which is what we are talking about.

i was talking about boom town specifically ... we go there .. they give over the ice cream before i pay every single time ..

Teo9969
09-14-2023, 10:03 PM
i was talking about boom town specifically ... we go there .. they give over the ice cream before i pay every single time ..

So they'd just be out the ice cream. If enough people do that, they'll just reverse the order of operations

OkieBerto
02-05-2024, 08:52 AM
Went to the Annual Ice Cream for Breakfast event at Boom Town! They did a collab with Lee's Sandwiches. It was a Lee's coffee flavor with chunks of croissant in it. They had already sold out of that flavor when we arrived. The other flavors were great, but one was a little weird. Biscuits and Gravy, haha. I love this place!