View Full Version : Oklahoma City Business Journal

G.Walker
09-16-2021, 02:27 PM
I have always wondered why Oklahoma City doesn't have a journal on www.bizjournals.com.

This is a major news source and Oklahoma City has enough development for consistent content. All major cities have one. But not only that smaller cities like Wichita, Albuquerque, Birmingham, Louisville, & Memphis have one.

Bowser214
09-16-2021, 03:14 PM
Oklahoma City has The Journal Record but it’s subscription only. I see your point tho.

G.Walker
09-16-2021, 04:33 PM
Yes, I prefer The Journal Record over any other news outlet when it comes to local business news. However, people outside of Oklahoma don't know about The Journal Record. Was wanting to see a Oklahoma City Business Journal for national exposure.

stlokc
09-16-2021, 06:57 PM
I worked for the St. Louis Business Journal for 10 years. That chain, which at least when I worked there was owned by Condé Nast, was basically created over time by the coming together of many of the nation’s existing weekly business newspapers. OKC didn’t have a weekly business paper … it had The Journal Record which was daily and not the same kind of paper at all. The Journal Record always existed primarily as a legal publication (that promoted required notices) that also threw in a few pages of business news each day. But it filled the niche for local biz news so OKC never created a pure weekly biz pub like many other cities had.

lobosolo
09-17-2021, 08:15 AM
I have always wondered why Oklahoma City doesn't have a journal on www.bizjournals.com.

This is a major news source and Oklahoma City has enough development for consistent content. All major cities have one. But not only that smaller cities like Wichita, Albuquerque, Birmingham, Louisville, & Memphis have one.

It all comes down to the previous existence of the Journal Record. The man who founded the Business Journals in the 1980s, Ray Shaw, was actually from Oklahoma. So I think there was interest. There just wasn't a gap in the market. (Disclosure: I used to work for American City Business Journals, which is owned by Advance Publications, which also owns Conde Nast and newspapers like the New Orleans Times-Picayune and The Oregonian.)