View Full Version : Baptist Hospital

sethsrott
08-13-2021, 05:44 AM
I hadn’t seen this shared anywhere else’s:

https://integrisok.com/heartexpansion?fbclid=IwAR2B2b6AV3hfRC6MVs_qc3F_Uz dV_C9Yv8jGnxvJC9PrL7qFxyQ9F1e0AHk

State-of-the-art Heart and ICU Hospital Expansion
INTEGRIS Health has made it our mission to partner with people to live healthier lives, and in keeping with that promise we are excited to announce the construction of a state-of-the-art Heart and ICU Hospital expansion at INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center, Northwest Expressway campus.

The Heart and ICU Hospital expansion on the INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center Northwest campus will keep to the promise of INTEGRIS Health’s Mission to partner with people to live healthier lives. The expansion includes a 209,000 square foot building and will have 64 ICU beds, multiple cardiac catheterization labs, cardiovascular operating rooms, hybrid operating rooms, electrophysiology heart labs, and convenient cardiac diagnostic testing areas. The new space is designed with the patient in mind, making navigating the hospital and clinics as easy as it has ever been in one convenient location. Construction begins immediately and will be completed in 2024.

INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center has long been known as Oklahoma’s leader in caring for the most complicated medical needs—from the state’s only Burn Center to the hospital that performs the most solid organ transplants. The new Heart and ICU Hospital expansion at INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center will help Oklahomans for many generations to come!

andrew
08-13-2021, 06:03 AM
I for one am very excited for a new aesthetic to lift the beige/adobe/tan of the baptist brick prison box lol

shawnw
08-13-2021, 07:04 AM
Missed opportunity for space they'll need sooner than they think by not going taller with the glass portion. In last two photos you can see that the glass portion is smaller than the main building. They should just match the height so they won't have to expand again as soon.

bombermwc
08-13-2021, 07:13 AM
So is this right on top of that current ambulance entrance? Hard to see some of the exact details, but im guessing its not going over the ER lot all the way to the Physician's building?

Sometimes, think it would be better for them to bulldoze and start over here. This is the most convoluted hospital structure...lol.

HOT ROD
08-15-2021, 04:00 PM
they're behind all other major hospitals in OKC with regard to modernization and expansion, about time for them to step up.

Pete
08-21-2021, 11:12 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist082121c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist082121e.jpeg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist082121a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist082121b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist082121f.jpeg

Pete
08-21-2021, 11:33 AM
This is the original building which opened in 1959, contrasted to today:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptistold1.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist082121d.jpg

Laramie
08-21-2021, 12:37 PM
This place has always been a mammoth to navigate. My friend (liver transplant patient) has to have me transport him there for periodic tests and injections. Never seen a medical campus so huge and difficult to go in and out--you ask someone for directions--you're on your own.

Parking, you better remember where you parked or you will walking around all day trying to figure out where you parked.

Impressed with the many clinical services Integris Baptist offer, there seems to be more employees than patients.

We (Oklahoma City) are very fortunate to have so many hospitals: OU Medical Center Complex (State's only trauma center), Children's Hospital, VA Medical Center, Integris Baptist Hospitals (North & Southwest), Mercy, SSM Health Saint Anthony's (Downtown) and a range of specialty clinics and hospitals like Bone & Joint and McBride Orthopedic Hospital/Clinic.

We're blessed...

Bill Robertson
08-21-2021, 02:20 PM
This place has always been a mammoth to navigate. My friend (liver transplant patient) has to have me transport him there for periodic tests and injections. Never seen a medical campus so huge and difficult to go in and out--you ask someone for directions--you're on your own.

Parking, you better remember where you parked or you will walking around all day trying to figure out where you parked.

I went in about 6 weeks ago for a pre-op examination. I was sure I went out the same door I went in but I was completely on the other side of the hospital. I just decided to walk around the outside. And of course it started pouring about halfway to the car.

Pete
11-24-2021, 07:43 AM
They have filed a building permit application for the heart/ICU expansion.

Projects like these involve huge construction dollars and result in a bunch of high-paying jobs. Integris is already one of the largest private sector employers in OKC.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist112421a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist112421b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist112421c.jpg

HangryHippo
11-24-2021, 08:01 AM
I love the look of that. Much better than the 50 shades of beige of their other buildings.

Pete
11-24-2021, 08:17 AM
They are also building on top of an existing parking structure.

$16 million just for the building with millions more for the fixtures and equipment.

jn1780
11-24-2021, 08:25 AM
Missed opportunity for space they'll need sooner than they think by not going taller with the glass portion. In last two photos you can see that the glass portion is smaller than the main building. They should just match the height so they won't have to expand again as soon.

I would imagine it will be built with the potential to expand vertical if needed in the future. There is a new elevator/stairway core that does match the full height of the existing tower. Just seems future floors could naturally fit into that new core.

Also, interesting that its being built on top the existing garage. Wonder if that garage was designed to support a tower or if that garage will be a total rebuild. Or build the tower the footings within the garage and poke out through the top.

Edit: Looking at the garage columns in streetview, they are pretty thick. Looks like they will just "uncap" them and tie new columns for the tower.

TheTravellers
11-24-2021, 08:36 AM
Interesting how the skyline behind the new bldg is completely clear and blue with no other existing bldgs in the background, guess it must be the angle.... :p

mobstam
11-24-2021, 09:41 AM
I would imagine it will be built with the potential to expand vertical if needed in the future. There is a new elevator/stairway core that does match the full height of the existing tower. Just seems future floors could naturally fit into that new core.

Also, interesting that its being built on top the existing garage. Wonder if that garage was designed to support a tower or if that garage will be a total rebuild. Or build the tower the footings within the garage and poke out through the top.

Edit: Looking at the garage columns in streetview, they are pretty thick. Looks like they will just "uncap" them and tie new columns for the tower.

I worked there when that garage was built and was told at the time that they were built in such a way to support a tower as part of long term plans

Pete
03-04-2022, 07:49 AM
They have started work on the expansion.

Not much to see as of yet but the parking garage is closed and they have a work tent setup.

Pete
03-13-2022, 07:46 AM
You can see the yellow base of the crane that will soon be going up; that garage seems to be completely closed:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist031222d.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist031222a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist031222b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist031222c.jpg

soonergolfer
03-13-2022, 08:41 AM
Are there any additional plans for the intersection of NW Expressway and Independence? I can only imagine that traffic will get much worse. The 7-11 is such a cluster and hazard with the idiotic curb cut that is about 40’ from NWE. The city needs to invoke eminent domain on that dump.

Pete
03-13-2022, 08:47 AM
^

They will have to make some changes because the new BRT route will go south on Independence from northwest-bound NW Expressway and also the opposite direction:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/brt18.jpg

jn1780
03-14-2022, 08:33 AM
Tower is going to go up fast since foundation is already done. They have uncapped the tops of all the garage columns.

Pete
04-17-2022, 07:25 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist041622a.jpg

Pete
05-02-2022, 07:59 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist050122a.jpg

Ward
05-02-2022, 02:14 PM
Drove by there Saturday. That crane is huge!! They had it positioned over NW Expressway and it was over the parking lot across the road.

Pete
06-20-2022, 07:46 AM
Starting to go vertical.

Also, you can see the base for a 2nd crane in the lower right corner.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist061922a.jpg

brianinok
06-22-2022, 11:48 AM

Edit: Looking at the garage columns in streetview, they are pretty thick. Looks like they will just "uncap" them and tie new columns for the tower.I would image they have planned for the new tower to be taller in the future if need be. They already planned for the garage to be built on top of when it was built in the past. And their new-ish hospital in Edmond was recently expanded vertically, so they planned ahead for that so that when it was expanded it went vertically, not horizontally.

Pete
07-12-2022, 12:48 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist071222a.jpg

Bill Robertson
07-12-2022, 01:29 PM
I came up 244 from the South just now. That's some crane. 5, maybe 6 stories taller than the hospital wing nearest it.

Shuffinator
07-13-2022, 10:21 AM
I really wish there was a camera that we could watch throughout the process.

HFAA Alum
07-13-2022, 01:08 PM
I wish they could build a vertical parking garage so that lot can be dug up and developed with something either commercial, or even a five to seven-story mixed-used establishment.

Bill Robertson
07-13-2022, 01:19 PM
I really wish there was a camera that we could watch throughout the process.OMG yes!!!!! It would be so cool to have internet cameras on both the crane operators cabs. I'd spend way too much time watching.

Bill Robertson
07-13-2022, 01:21 PM
I wish they could build a vertical parking garage so that lot can be dug up and developed with something either commercial, or even a five to seven-story mixed-used establishment.It's not a lot. It's already part of the hospital that was designed to be expanded up in the future. Which is now.

Pete
07-13-2022, 01:53 PM
I wish they could build a vertical parking garage so that lot can be dug up and developed with something either commercial, or even a five to seven-story mixed-used establishment.

I suspect they will ultimately build a parking structure on that lot, with the ability to expand the hospital on top of it, just like they are doing now with this addition.

Bill Robertson
07-13-2022, 02:09 PM
I suspect they will ultimately build a parking structure on that lot, with the ability to expand the hospital on top of it, just like they are doing now with this addition.
I see. You caught that HFAA Alum was talking about the big lot East of Grand. I didn't since that hadn't been discussed. But is a big part of the picture.

Pete
07-13-2022, 02:11 PM
^

East of Independence.

Pete
11-20-2022, 10:57 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist112022b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist112022a.jpg

Pete
12-13-2022, 10:38 AM
You can see construction for the BRT stop in the lower left:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist121322a.jpg

HOT ROD
12-13-2022, 08:26 PM
Baptist has another parking garage to build future expansion.

Now they just need to build a new Garage in the surface lot.

lady_o
01-03-2023, 01:17 PM
I really wish there was a camera that we could watch throughout the process.

Enjoy

https://integrisok.com/resources/articles/heart-hospital-construction-cam

Pete
03-27-2023, 07:36 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist032623a.jpg

king183
03-27-2023, 08:39 AM
Every large hospital system in our metro has a *major* expansion going on simultaneously, except Saint Anthony (unless I’m missing it; correct me if I’m wrong). This is huge for OKC, in multiple ways. Typically when you see stagnant health systems, it’s a symptom of a stagnant community. In OKC, by contrast, each system sees a need to expand and update their offerings/capabilities.

Bellaboo
03-27-2023, 08:46 AM
Yep, population increase cause and effect.

David
03-27-2023, 08:48 AM
Every large hospital system in our metro has a *major* expansion going on simultaneously, except Saint Anthony (unless I’m missing it; correct me if I’m wrong). This is huge for OKC, in multiple ways. Typically when you see stagnant health systems, it’s a symptom of a stagnant community. In OKC, by contrast, each system sees a need to expand and update their offerings/capabilities.

Didn't downtown Saint Anthony's get a new emergency room wing a few years ago? Not as significant in size as most of the other expansions, but it's something.

Pete
03-27-2023, 08:54 AM

Integris, SSM Healthcare (Saint Anthony and related), Mercy Health System, and OU Health are in the top 10 of private employers in the OKC area. All are significantly larger than any oil and gas company. Integris alone employs over 11,000 in the area and is by far the largest private local employer.

In addition to the near-constant expansion of their main campuses, they all seem to be building smaller, satellite hospitals around the metro as well as walk-in facilities.

Combined, they represent a massive economic engine in OKC -- much like Tinker and the state government. And these sectors are pretty much recession-proof helping the local economy stay very stable.

bombermwc
03-27-2023, 09:06 AM
Saints also purchased MWC Hospital, so their "satellite" footprint grew quite a bit there. And from what I've heard, it's night and day from what it was before. Saints is doing an excellent job of turning that place back around to its former glory.

Norman's an interesting thing though. They're really just expanding to doze the old place. So is that really an expansion?

Having said all of that, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Some of these expansion are not actual expansions, but are targets to remove old facilities. OU, for example, the old Presby tower's rooms are awful. HVAC doesn't work right, they're so small that it's actually difficult for patients with lots of IV pole equipment to safely get around in. The new rooms are wonderful, and the views are AMAZING. But that new tower isn't big enough to replace the old tower. You're looking at another couple hundred million dollars if they renovate to combine rooms in that tower, or raze it altogether.

Integris basically closed Deaconness, which is a shame. It's not operating in the same role it once was as a true hospital. It's more like a surgical facility now. So Baptist had to absorb that load...which is part of the reason for that expansion. Baptist actually has a lot of room still to build more patient care area, they just have to kick out the physician's offices and tear those buildings down. Again, hundreds of millions.

It's for-profit healthcare folks. At this point, they have to keep up with each other for people to want to use their facility (since most insurances participate in all of them). Slapping some paint on or swapping the furniture isn't cutting it any more. We're past that time given the age of most of our facilities. So expect to see more of this in the next 10-15 years.

Pete
03-27-2023, 09:15 AM
And for all that expansion, it can still be difficult to find an available bed at times.

Before the pandemic, I had to go to the Baptist emergency room and I waited almost a full day before they could free up a regular room.

bombermwc
03-29-2023, 07:31 AM
And for all that expansion, it can still be difficult to find an available bed at times.

Before the pandemic, I had to go to the Baptist emergency room and I waited almost a full day before they could free up a regular room.

Agreed, it's quite frustrating. And staffing is a challenge as well. Good ole for profit healthcare always looking for where to maximize their buck (at the cost of patient care).

soonermike81
03-29-2023, 08:24 AM
It's for-profit healthcare folks.

It’s unfortunate but you’re right. With so many hospitals either getting scooped up or partnering with private equity and publicly traded companies, it’ll continue to get worse.

Pete
05-14-2023, 03:57 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist051423a.jpg

oklip955
05-15-2023, 08:47 PM
Speaking of need for expansion/modernization, OU Edmond is in a real need of more then a face lift. I had knee surgery there back in March. I have over the years spent a bit of time around the hospital and doctor's building. It really really needs so tlc. I remember back when the hospital was owned by the city of Edmond and the 4 th floor was just unfinished open space. I wish they would buy the old senior housing that turned into a rat trap hotel that the city of Edmond shut down. It would be a nice piece of land along with a few other tracts in the area, that could be used to build a new Edmond Medical Center. With that done the old hospital could be dozed along with the doctors building and new facilities built. No way can they compete with Integris's new hospital/medical complex unless they build from the ground up. With Edmond around 100K population and growing and throw in the folks that come from points east like Luther/Welston and points beyond for health care, how could this not be a goo d investment???

ChrisHayes
05-16-2023, 02:54 AM
Does Baptist own the huge parking lot across the street to the south? If so, that would be a great area for a huge new addition if it ever came down to it.

Teo9969
05-16-2023, 05:38 AM
Does Baptist own the huge parking lot across the street to the south? If so, that would be a great area for a huge new addition if it ever came down to it.

Do you mean to the East?

ChrisHayes
05-16-2023, 09:49 AM
Do you mean to the East?
Yeah. I was thinking bass ackwards

Pete
05-16-2023, 10:34 AM
Yeah. I was thinking bass ackwards

Yes, the own it and that lot is almost completely full every day.

Whatever they build there would have to include structured parking.

HFAA Alum
08-23-2023, 12:24 PM
I know this thread hasn't been updated in a while but I feel that this photo from one of the other threads gives us a glimpse of what seems to be the progress on this expansion project. Look to the top left area of the photo

Pete
08-23-2023, 12:33 PM
Took this one today:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist082323a.jpg

Pete
09-12-2023, 07:20 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/baptist090923.jpg

chssooner
10-08-2023, 12:29 PM
RIP tower cranes at Baptist.

Down 2 with no new ones on the horizon for early 2024. It was nice having 8 at once.