View Full Version : Dave's Hot Chicken

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
05-07-2021, 06:36 AM
Dave's Hot Chicken coming to Bricktown (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=729-Dave-s-Hot-Chicken-coming-to-Bricktown)

A Los Angeles-based restaurant specializing in hot chicken tenders and sliders is planning up to eight locations in the Oklahoma City area, with the first planned for Lower Bricktown.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves3.jpg

Dave's Hot Chicken announced that it has signed a franchise agreement with Brian Bogert, brothers Kory and Kelly Allen, Cole Lipscomb and Courtney Makin. Bogert founded The Social Order restaurant group which operates the Jones Assembly and all the local Fuzzy's Taco Shops. The Allens have operated three Alfredo's Mexican cafe locations and have been partners with Bogert in three Fuzzy's locations. Lipscomb and Mankin are also with the Social Order group.

Dave Kopushyan and three friends initially opened the concept as a parking lot pop-up which since expanded to multiple brick-and-mortar locations primarily in Southern California. New sites are under development in Dallas and Houston among other markets.

Dave's is a fast-casual restaurant with counter service and a drive-thru where possible.

The menu is simple, offering tenders, sliders, fries, cheese fries, kale slaw, and mac & cheese. Spice for the chicken is offered in a range from “No Spice” to “Reaper”.

The Lower Bricktown location will be in the space formerly operated as a Sonic Cafe and will feature indoor dining as well as a large patio. The former Sonic space has been closed for some time due to the pandemic and is adjacent to Fuzzy's near the Harkins Theater.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves6.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves5.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves4.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves1.jpg

BoulderSooner
05-07-2021, 06:39 AM
this looks great

amocore
05-07-2021, 09:52 AM
I did not realize the Sonic was closed.

It should do great.
These types of quick casual, order at the counter restaurants do well in Bricktown with the visitors and the local lunch workers.
Fuzzys has been a succes since taking the italian place and Texadelphia too.

Suzzys missed on this simplicity. I tried a couple of times and it was so confusing.

Pete
05-07-2021, 10:00 AM
The Fuzzy's next door is always slammed.

kukblue1
05-07-2021, 10:09 AM
Sonic was open first week of April when I was down there anyway this place looks good but unless these chicken fingers are huge $10.99 for 2 fingers and fries seems a tad pricey. Then again your probably paying more since your "downtown".

Pete
05-07-2021, 10:11 AM
^

That menu is from one of their California locations.

Prices here will likely be different/lower.

Plutonic Panda
05-07-2021, 11:33 AM
Dude if the quality is anything close to the LA locations this will be the best chicken joint in the city.

TheTravellers
05-07-2021, 11:50 AM
Dude if the quality is anything close to the LA locations this will be the best chicken joint in the city.

Good to hear, I was disappointed with Nashbird, will give this place a try.

Pete
05-07-2021, 12:56 PM
And having a drive-thru at most of their OKC locations will be a big advantage.

Rivalyn
05-07-2021, 01:19 PM
I did not realize the Sonic was closed.

Same, I always thought it’d be a great place to refresh though. Love the location and it’ll be nice that it gets freshened up.

Plutonic Panda
05-07-2021, 07:03 PM
Dave’s is waaaaay better than Nashbird IMO

mugofbeer
05-07-2021, 08:44 PM
Woof, those are some expensive tenders! $3.50 a slice!

Pete
05-08-2021, 07:23 AM
Woof, those are some expensive tenders! $3.50 a slice!

That is a menu from California.

Bowser214
05-08-2021, 08:58 AM
Menu on their website doesn't have prices so it must vary on location.

dankrutka
05-10-2021, 12:42 AM
I wish Sonic had cared more about that location. It could have been more of a tourist attraction as a Sonic where they offered new items before they released nationally and did other stuff. The only time I went to that Sonic it was depressing. Hope the new place succeeds.

sooner88
05-10-2021, 05:47 PM
Menu on their website doesn't have prices so it must vary on location.

If you go to each location's menu, they are the same prices so I would be surprised to see much cheaper here.

MagzOK
05-11-2021, 08:02 AM
I wish Sonic had cared more about that location. It could have been more of a tourist attraction as a Sonic where they offered new items before they released nationally and did other stuff. The only time I went to that Sonic it was depressing. Hope the new place succeeds.

I wish Sonic just cared anymore. Aside from their drinks, most of that stuff is just junk anymore. My kids love it, but I can't stand it like I used to growing up in the 80s.

Head
05-11-2021, 01:44 PM
Pretty high dollar tenders.

Jaared
05-12-2021, 10:45 AM
Hell yeah!!!!!!

sooner88
05-13-2021, 07:57 AM
Pretty high dollar tenders.

They're $0.50 more than Nashbird....

Plutonic Panda
07-12-2021, 09:52 PM
Is this still happening? They haven’t added OKC to the list of coming soon. I’ll be sending them a message.

Pete
07-13-2021, 06:44 AM
Is this still happening? They haven’t added OKC to the list of coming soon. I’ll be sending them a message.

They have signed the lease in Lower Bricktown but have yet to file any building permits, so it's going to be a while.

amocore
10-13-2021, 12:50 PM
They have started works inside the Sonic location. From what I saw at lunch, they are doing demolition for now.

Pete
11-16-2021, 07:53 AM
Dave's Hot Chicken is taking both the old Sonic space and what was Jumpin' Jackalope on the north side. The plan is to have the new restaurant interact more with Reno and take advantage of the exposure to the Bricktown Ballpark. Should change the look and feel of this area.

They are also slightly expanding Fuzzy's -- both the seating and kitchen -- to the north.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/fuzzys111621a.jpg

Plutonic Panda
11-16-2021, 03:23 PM
Pete, will be building a patio to the north? That would really create a good interaction with Reno. Almost all of their locations I've been to in SoCal have patios.

Pete
12-12-2021, 06:42 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves121121a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves121121b.jpg

Pete
04-05-2022, 09:14 AM
They are hoping to open Dave's in early July.

Plans will soon be submitted for a patio area to the west and the south-facing part of the building will have fold-up windows that face the ballpark.

jerrywall
04-05-2022, 09:33 AM
^^ I'm so glad they're putting a patio area there (and those fold-up windows). I've always felt that was a wasted location, and it's such a premium spot and there was so little interaction with the street/area. Especially during game days.

Pete
04-20-2022, 12:23 PM
Here are the plans for the covered patio:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves042022a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves042022b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves042022c.jpg

shartel_ave
04-20-2022, 12:53 PM
I don't know about Daves but Nashbird is amazing. I've had it about 5 times and each time the tenders were tender.

shawnw
06-02-2022, 09:21 PM
Far from done but signage is up (from Tuesday)

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves060222a.jpg

shartel_ave
06-03-2022, 07:40 AM
I love nashville style hot chicken, nashbirds is great IMO

Pete
06-03-2022, 07:46 AM
I was just told they are aiming for an early July opening.

shawnw
06-03-2022, 09:06 AM
Seems like a lot to do in a month, especially factoring in city inspections and such...

Pete
06-09-2022, 01:56 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves060922a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves060922c.jpg

HOT ROD
06-09-2022, 08:07 PM
hope they will have outdoor cafe seating to match.

Pete
07-06-2022, 06:07 AM
They told me they'll be open by the end of the month.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves070422c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves070422d.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves070422a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves070422b.jpg

BridgeBurner
07-07-2022, 01:40 PM
Never seen the inside of one of these before so definitely was not expecting that!
Looks like a fun spot and the food looks amazing- have to go hit this place and a baseball game in a few weeks.

shawnw
07-20-2022, 10:27 AM
https://twitter.com/socialorderok/status/1549773822169174017

Pete
07-29-2022, 05:14 AM
Set to open a week from today on Friday 8/5, Dave's Hot Chicken is operated by The Social Order which also runs The Jones Assembly and Spark.

The location is next to Harkins Theatre in Bricktown with a large covered patio and space looking out on the Bricktown Ballpark.

In addition to hot chicken sandwiches, tenders and sides local beers and 3 frozen cocktails will be offered: Dave's Margarita, Whiskey Lemonade, and Cherry Limeade.

Hours will be 11 AM to 10 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11 AM to 11 PM Friday and Saturday.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves072822d.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves072822x.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves072822m.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves072822i.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves072822j.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves072822k.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves072822e.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves072822h.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves072822g.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves072822f.jpg

Pete
07-29-2022, 07:26 AM
With all the bright lights and colors and big windows facing the Ballpark, this business adds a lot of life and vitality to this area of Bricktown.

I was down there taking photography and as soon as the lights were turned on, loads of people were stopping by and asking when it was going to open.

Dave's will draw a much bigger crowd than that Sonic ever did.

Pete
08-01-2022, 02:35 PM
Press release:

THE SOCIAL ORDER OPENS OKC’S FIRST DAVE’S HOT CHICKEN IN BRICKTOWN
The Social Order, the Oklahoma City-based team behind The Jones Assembly, Spark and the region’s Fuzzy’s Taco Shops, has announced its first Dave’s Hot Chicken location will open on Friday, August 5, 2022. Dave’s Hot Chicken, a Los Angeles-based street food brand, inked a franchise agreement with The Social Order in 2021 to open eight locations throughout the region, with the first location in Bricktown.

"After flying out to Los Angeles to meet the Dave’s Hot Chicken founders we immediately fell in love with the food, and the brand,” said The Social Order Founding Partner, Brian Bogert. “Though it’s a simple menu, Dave’s serves the highest quality, Halal certified chicken with sides like housemade kale slaw that pack a flavorful punch and prove they’ve mastered the art of simplicity. We’re hooked on Dave’s Nashville hot chicken and can’t wait to share it with OKC.”

BURNING UP IN BRICKTOWN
Founded by Arman Oganesyan, chef Dave Kopushyan- who was trained by Thomas Keller, and brothers Tommy and Gary Rubenyan, in early 2017, Dave’s Hot Chicken initially opened as a parking lot pop-up and now has more than 70 locations across the U.S. and Canada. The Nashville hot chicken concept specializes in tenders and sliders with spice levels up to “Reaper.” Each restaurant also serves sides like house-made kale slaw, mac and cheese and fries, with or without cheese.

DAVE’S DESIGN
Maintaining the design of its first brick and mortar location, Dave’s worked closely with The Social Order team throughout the construction process including hiring Los Angeles street artist Splatterhaus who has painted installations at all Dave’s Hot Chicken locations. Over the course of three days, from 7 p.m. to sunrise, Splatterhaus transformed the space into a work of art with custom graffiti installations on nearly every wall of the Bricktown location.

“We can’t wait to see the look on our guests faces when they walk through the door for the first time,” said Korey Allen, Dave’s Hot Chicken partner. “The Social Order has operated franchises for years and we’ve never had such a creative and precise experience as we’ve had with the Dave’s team. This is not your average hot chicken joint, it’s something much more special.”

The Bricktown location’s Grand Opening is Friday, August 5th, but they will be open to the public Thursday, August 4th. The restaurant will be open Sunday-Thursday from 11 a.m. – 10 p.m. and Friday-Saturday from 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.

The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber will conduct a ribbon cutting ceremony at Dave’s Hot Chicken on Friday, August 5th from 9-10 a.m. The event is open to the public.

Anonymous.
08-02-2022, 06:42 AM
This looks like a great build. I do wish the patio wrapped around to the N side of the building, though.

Pete
08-02-2022, 06:46 AM
This looks like a great build. I do wish the patio wrapped around to the N side of the building, though.

The glass on the north side will fold up and open the space toward the Ballpark.

The system was back ordered so they are going to open without it.

Anonymous.
08-02-2022, 06:49 AM
The glass on the north side will fold up and opens the space toward the Ballpark.

The system was back ordered so they are going to open without it.

Ohhh awesome! I thought I remembered something about that, but those photos are definitely static windows. Glad to hear that is coming! Now to make a lane of Reno parking on the south side.

Pete
08-04-2022, 07:03 AM
They are actually opening today (Thursday 8/4), a day ahead of schedule.

Already hearing good things about their food and quick service.

taha
08-04-2022, 07:11 AM
I just wanted to add that they've probably spent a small fortune on advertising. I've been seeing ads on Instagram every other day if not every other day for the last 3 months on instagram promoting their new locations. Even had some friends come down from the east coast and ask me about if this Dave's spot was open (in June). Looks like they're really getting after it!

Pete
08-04-2022, 07:18 AM
^

The local franchisee (they may open up to 6 more locations in the OKC area) is the Social Order Dining Group, which is also behind Jones Assembly, Spark and the local Fuzzy's.

All their branding and marketing is top-notch and they put a lot of time, money and energy into it.

They are also good people and it's nice to see them have so much success.

David
08-04-2022, 07:23 AM
I always appreciate a restaurant menu that includes the calories.

Thomas Vu
08-09-2022, 09:15 PM
I've driven by a few times this week trying to try the restaurant. Even at 830 on weekdays there's a line going out to the fountain.

Plutonic Panda
08-09-2022, 10:13 PM
Have you tried it yet? I’m curious to hear your thoughts on it.

sooner88
08-10-2022, 07:47 AM
I've driven by a few times this week trying to try the restaurant. Even at 830 on weekdays there's a line going out to the fountain.

We tried to go at 3:30 on Sunday, and there were 20+ people out the door on a 100+ degree day. The line was 50+ after we left Fuzzy's. Looking forward to trying them, but not waiting in the heat to eat hot chicken.

Pete
08-10-2022, 08:06 AM
Will be interesting to see where they open the other OKC area locations.

They had said up to 6.

TheTravellers
08-10-2022, 08:18 AM
Have you tried it yet? I’m curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Not yet, I've put it on the list, though. We usually only eat out once a week, but I'm trying to make it twice because we're falling behind on trying new places (Mozz & Mari is our new place to try this week). And we usually don't go to a place until they've been open a month to work out the kinks. ;)

Roger S
08-10-2022, 08:35 AM

I gave Nashbird 3 tries and disliked it more each time.... I've been to Prince's and Hattie B's and Nashbird didn't even come close to them.

And if you're in Vegas don't waste your time going to the Hattie B's there... It doesn't compare to the Nashville location either.

I'll probably give Dave's a try at some point but I don't consider it to be Nashville Hot Chicken. I do like a spicy chicken sandwich however and this looks like a better version of Chic-Fil-A to me.

Jersey Boss
08-10-2022, 06:11 PM
I gave Nashbird 3 tries and disliked it more each time.... I've been to Prince's and Hattie B's and Nashbird didn't even come close to them.

And if you're in Vegas don't waste your time going to the Hattie B's there... It doesn't compare to the Nashville location either.

I'll probably give Dave's a try at some point but I don't consider it to be Nashville Hot Chicken. I do like a spicy chicken sandwich however and this looks like a better version of Chic-Fil-A to me.

Do you have any recomendations for in state bone in hot chicken?
Thanks.

Elrenogolf
08-10-2022, 09:57 PM
Thanks.

I really liked chicken and the wolf in Tulsa. I had a chicken sandwich but looks like they have bone in options as well.

Roger S
08-11-2022, 07:08 AM
Thanks.

Unfortunately no.

All the "Nashville" hot chicken I know of here is tenders or boneless breast.... I'm not in Tulsa often enough to know if there is any there but about the only place I still go for any kind of bone-in chicken is The Drum Room but they don't do Nashville Hot..

We occasionally make a run out to Eischen's but that's more of a nostalgia thing. I grew up eating fried chicken and nachos at Round-Up Pizza in Del City and Eischen's is the only place I can still get both.

I've not tried the new Babe's knock-off in Yukon yet.

floyd the barber
08-11-2022, 02:54 PM
I went there today. It was quite good and I will be back.

The food is akin to an In N' Out style of Nashbird's. I got hot option and it packed some heat.

I tried their craft beer. I didn't like it. It was like a worse Coor's Light. I couldn't finish it and I never leave a half full beer.

Wish they had ranch. That may be a no-no in the hot chicken scene but I don't care.

Pete
08-11-2022, 03:13 PM
It's getting really good reviews thus far.

And people say that even if the line is out the door, they have been moving people through pretty quickly.