View Full Version : Dave's Hot Chicken

Pages : 1 [2]

catcherinthewry
08-11-2022, 03:16 PM
The food is akin to an In N' Out style of Nashbird's.

That's not really the endorsement you think it is.

floyd the barber
08-11-2022, 05:14 PM
That's not really the endorsement you think it is.

In terms of limited menu.

catcherinthewry
08-11-2022, 06:30 PM
In terms of limited menu.

Gotcha, I thought you were comparing it to the quality of the food.

ksearls
08-12-2022, 09:11 AM
Wish they had ranch. That may be a no-no in the hot chicken scene but I don't care.

What!?!?!?! No Ranch!!!! Isn't that illegal in Oklahoma? I might have to BYOR!

Pete
08-12-2022, 09:13 AM
What!?!?!?! No Ranch!!!! Isn't that illegal in Oklahoma? I might have to BYOR!

I always BYOS... (Sriracha).

sooner88
08-12-2022, 09:30 AM
From what I've been told, this is the first Dave's Hot Chicken that sells alcohol. With Bogert's experience, they are piloting the beverage program through the OKC location.

Pete
08-12-2022, 09:37 AM
^

Truth.

I really like the frozen peach club special at Spark (also by Bogert/Social Order). It's great on a warm day in the park.

And I bet the 3 frozen drinks they sell here (margarita, whiskey lemonade and vodka cherry limeade) are darn good as well after strolling the Bricktown canal.

chssooner
08-12-2022, 09:47 AM
Doesn't Social Order have the ability to create multiple locations around OKC for Dave's, should it be a hit (which it will be)?

Pete
08-12-2022, 09:47 AM
Doesn't Social Order have the ability to create multiple locations around OKC for Dave's, should it be a hit (which it will be)?

Yes, they are planning up to a total of 6 in the OKC area.

Plutonic Panda
08-12-2022, 01:02 PM
From what I've been told, this is the first Dave's Hot Chicken that sells alcohol. With Bogert's experience, they are piloting the beverage program through the OKC location.
The Dave’s Chicken in LA have sold beer for sometime.

Pete
09-09-2022, 03:02 PM
The Dave’s Chicken in LA have sold beer for sometime.

A beer license is different than a liquor license.

shartel_ave
09-09-2022, 03:07 PM
Is Dave's as good as Nashbirds?

Haven't had Nashbirds in about 2 years but each time I had it I loved it.

Pete
09-09-2022, 03:08 PM
I stopped in last Friday around 7 PM. There were about 10 people in front of me, but the line moved fast. The space itself (which is quite large) was maybe 2/3rds full.

Once the order was placed, it came out very quickly. Will be interesting to see if future OKC area locations have drive-thrus.

I had one of the sliders and 3rd from the hottest spice (there are 7 levels, so this would be #5). It wasn't overly hot; next time I'll go up one level.

They call the sandwiches sliders but they are a pretty good size. One was enough for me. It comes with "Dave's sauce" on the sandwich and then another little container. It seemed to be mayo-based and was tasty.

I really liked the flavor and everything came out nice and hot. It's different than Nashbird which has a much larger piece of chicken on their sandwiches and the coating is different. I like them both; good to have a couple of good options in town.

Tcopel90
09-15-2022, 11:43 AM

I've had mixed success with Nashbirds. It's never bad but the size of the patties on their sandwiches vary a significant amount and the spice levels are all over the place.

Anonymous.
09-22-2022, 06:57 AM
I checked this place out finally. It was pretty dead on a Tuesday night, and I think there was even a concert at Paycom - so it was surprising to see there was like 10 people total in the entire place.

The food came out insanely fast [almost too fast?]. I got Hot level and it was pretty good. Everyone else in the group got milder spice levels and the consensus was it was very salty. One person in the group got zero spice and their chicken was very dry and looked very non-fresh. The sauce was good and the fries were good.

I will go again, but it seems the spice level is the main flavor, so try to stay away from the milder ones.

Also the chocolate shake was surprisingly tastey.

Oski
09-22-2022, 08:54 AM
I checked this place out finally. It was pretty dead on a Tuesday night, and I think there was even a concert at Paycom - so it was surprising to see there was like 10 people total in the entire place.

That's the cruel reality of fast food concepts/franchises, the consumers are always looking for new things somewhere else.

MagzOK
09-22-2022, 09:38 AM
That's the cruel reality of fast food concepts/franchises, the consumers are always looking for new things somewhere else.

Or maybe part of the chicken glut of OKC

Pete
09-22-2022, 09:40 AM
Or the fact it was a Tuesday night after school started and during the state fair.

Dave's is doing plenty of business, on average.

baralheia
09-22-2022, 10:10 AM
For what it's worth - last Friday I ordered Dave's via DoorDash and though I thought the spice level didn't live up to it's name (I got Extra Hot but it wasn't really that spicy), otherwise I was thoroughly pleased. I got the sliders and the chicken was hot, flavorful, and juicy, the sauce was delicious, and the bun was soft and had a good flavor. The mac & cheese was quite good as were the fries, too. Good stuff - I'll definitely order again.

kukblue1
09-22-2022, 10:21 AM
Mid-Sept to End-Oct is always the worst time for fast food operations. Kids back in school. Bills coming in from back to school shopping or last minute vacations. Busy with fall sports.

Elrenogolf
09-16-2023, 01:20 PM
Looks like a location is going in Edmond on 2nd street in the old Chicken Salad Chick location by Neighborhood Jam.

Pete
09-16-2023, 02:41 PM
Looks like a location is going in Edmond on 2nd street in the old Chicken Salad Chick location by Neighborhood Jam.

Yes. I should have posted this some time ago.

Thomas Vu
09-17-2023, 09:23 PM

I think Nashbird adds too much batter to their chicken.

victorparknews
09-18-2023, 07:38 AM
Pulled from their website

baralheia
09-18-2023, 09:10 AM
I think Nashbird adds too much batter to their chicken.

I have not had Nashbird since before the pandemic began - so I don't know if their recipe changed at all since then - but that was my complaint with their chicken as well.

I've had Dave's a fair bit in the last couple of years and personally I feel it lives up to the hype. Very, very good.

Pete
09-18-2023, 09:12 AM
I recently had Dave's for a 2nd time and I really liked it.

I specified "Hot" which is two clicks down from the very hottest, but next time I will go one level up. What I had was spicy but I would have preferred a bit more.

baralheia
09-18-2023, 09:17 AM
I recently had Dave's for a 2nd time and I really liked it.

I specified "Hot" which is two clicks down from the very hottest, but next time I will go one level up. What I had was spicy but I would have preferred a bit more.

Extra hot is my sweet spot - a great balance of flavor and spice, while still being quite spicy. I still want to try the Reaper level spice sometime just to say I've experienced it lol

Pete
10-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Dave's opens Oct. 13th at 2404 East 2nd St in Edmond.

chssooner
12-28-2023, 10:31 PM
One will be opening at Chisholm Creek, per OKC building permits.

Pete
12-29-2023, 04:06 AM
The Cycle Bar space, which is a stand-alone building closest to Western:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves122723a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/daves122723b.jpg

jn1780
12-29-2023, 07:17 AM
Great addition. Too bad Dave's hot chicken will probably generate more pounds on people during its first month of operation than people lost while it was a cycle bar. lol

amocore
12-30-2023, 06:13 PM
Great addition. Too bad Dave's hot chicken will probably generate more pounds on people during its first month of operation than people lost while it was a cycle bar. lol

Hey ! We are not the 44 th state in life expectancy for no reason ! Plus I think the USA is the only western country with a life expectancy going the wrong way, mostly because of all obesity related issues and some related to the opioid crisis.

On a lighter note, I went a for a family walk after a lunch in bricktown and it was busy. The Dave’s hot chicken patio was almost full.