View Full Version : Charcoal Oven new location

Pages : 1 [2]

Thomas Vu
12-04-2020, 08:37 PM
I bet it lives or dies based on the quality of the onion rings. They have to be like they were at the old location.

I enjoy onion rings as much as the next person, but I ask this not in jest.

Does anybody here ever have an urge to get onion rings?

HangryHippo
12-04-2020, 08:40 PM
I enjoy onion rings as much as the next person, but I ask this not in jest.

Does anybody here ever have an urge to get onion rings?
Oh hell yes. Not often, but it happens.

Dob Hooligan
12-05-2020, 03:13 PM
I do not for one minute think money is a problem for the owner. I recall that he is the son in law of the founder of Charcoal Oven and made his own way via Sonic Drive-In ownership. I think he was in on ownership of several locations in NW OKC before he sold out when he got cancer several years ago. He owned the Jersey Mike's that was in this location and it just wasn't making him much money. He still had a favorable lease on the property and decided to try the Charcoal Oven the family had been talking about since they sold the real estate on NW Expressway to Discount Tire a few years ago. I'm not saying he would be happy to lose a thousand dollars a week in cash, but I think he wants a restaurant that will let him get out of the house every day and not have much bullish attached.

Pete
12-11-2020, 01:50 PM
There were people working inside today and a Coke truck outside, so looks like they are making some progress.

securityinfo
12-11-2020, 02:32 PM
Burgers are a tough market. Been like a year since Lip Smackers imploded?

SEMIweather
12-11-2020, 06:02 PM
Burgers are a tough market. Been like a year since Lip Smackers imploded?

To be fair, Lip Smackers probably could have stuck around if they had a better business plan. Not that this project is inspiring much confidence on that front so far, either.

TheTravellers
12-11-2020, 06:27 PM
To be fair, Lip Smackers probably could have stuck around if they had a better business plan. Not that this project is inspiring much confidence on that front so far, either.

I believe Lip Smackers died because he underestimated how much it would cost to move to a new space and equip it and ran out of money (which I guess you could say is a failed business plan). Apparently the Charcoal Oven guy has enough money to not need to open up ASAP in order to keep the cash flow going, at least that's what I'm getting from Dob's post above.

mugofbeer
12-11-2020, 07:42 PM
If you can put it off a few months until you can have indoor dining, why would you open? There isn't a drive through is there?

billokc
12-16-2020, 02:37 PM
Just FYI, I stopped by to check on the status. As of December 16th, still not open. The signs aren't even up yet. I'm guessing the owner is not in any hurry because of the holidays and the covid hassle.

Pete
12-16-2020, 02:54 PM
^

I went by and the owner was in there working but I didn't stop to talk to him.

There has been little progress and I'm sure they are in no hurry.

Pete
02-22-2021, 02:28 PM
New signs were installed today.

Owner says they will be open no later than mid-March and hopefully sooner. Waiting on some inspections.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/charcoaloven022221a.jpg

Pete
04-12-2021, 11:01 AM
They opened today. Hours are 11A-9P every day.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/charcoalover041121b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/charcoalover041121a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/charcoalover041121c.jpg

soonerguru
04-12-2021, 01:02 PM
I do not for one minute think money is a problem for the owner. I recall that he is the son in law of the founder of Charcoal Oven and made his own way via Sonic Drive-In ownership. I think he was in on ownership of several locations in NW OKC before he sold out when he got cancer several years ago. He owned the Jersey Mike's that was in this location and it just wasn't making him much money. He still had a favorable lease on the property and decided to try the Charcoal Oven the family had been talking about since they sold the real estate on NW Expressway to Discount Tire a few years ago. I'm not saying he would be happy to lose a thousand dollars a week in cash, but I think he wants a restaurant that will let him get out of the house every day and not have much bullish attached.

Interesting. I stopped going to that Jersey Mike's because whenever I did they were blaring FOX News on the TVs. The staff said the owner would not let them change the channel there. I do like me some Charcoal Oven, though. It says on the menu that the burgers are 1/3 lb. I don't remember them being that big at the NW Expressway location.

Pete
04-12-2021, 01:37 PM
The owner's name is Billy Allen -- he also owned that Jersey Mike's.

Check his Facebook page at your own peril.

Roger S
04-12-2021, 02:32 PM

I'm just going to recommend checking every Billy Allen's Facebook page at your own peril..... And there are quite a few in Oklahoma City

TheTravellers
04-12-2021, 03:59 PM

That sucks, I can't support someone like that, even if the burgers are fantastic.

Bowser214
04-12-2021, 05:57 PM
Same!

Thomas Vu
04-12-2021, 07:26 PM

Guess I'll be a one and done. Hope it's not as great as discussed in previous pages.

warreng88
04-12-2021, 07:37 PM
I'm just going to recommend checking every Billy Allen's Facebook page at your own peril..... And there are quite a few in Oklahoma City

To clarify, I think he is Billy Allen (Rags). I went to that one quite frequently and he looks like the guy I always encountered. And yes, can confirm Fox News was always on.

SouthOfTheVillage
04-12-2021, 08:26 PM
All of the Billy Allens I know like to party. I’ll give this guy a chance even if he might be a bit Conservative.

Martin
04-13-2021, 06:07 AM
oh, no... a business owner has a political opinion that i don't like. to the fainting couch!

now... the fact that he cooked a ribeye to 140°F is a completely different story.

Pete
04-13-2021, 06:14 AM
Dave Cathey -- who has not reported on Charcoal Oven since last August immediately after we broke the story of the new location and he then stated they would open in November -- wrote this in today's Oklahoman:

" I decided to swing by the long-awaited Charcoal Oven to see if Billy Allen was any closer to opening".

So, no update in 8 months then suddenly today after we reported they had opened (after going by there 20-30 times for months on end) did he 'decide to swing by'.

Why actually do work when you can just sit on the OKCTalk social media feeds and let us do it for you, then lie about it?

Mballard85
04-13-2021, 07:06 AM
Dave Cathey -- who has not reported on Charcoal Oven since last August immediately after we broke the story of the new location and he then stated they would open in November -- wrote this in today's Oklahoman:

" I decided to swing by the long-awaited Charcoal Oven to see if Billy Allen was any closer to opening".

So, no update in 8 months then suddenly today after we reported they had opened (after going by there 20-30 times for months on end) did he 'decide to swing by'.

Why actually do work when you can just sit on the OKCTalk social media feeds and let us do it for you, then lie about it?

This is the least surprising thing I've read today.

TheTravellers
04-13-2021, 08:06 AM
oh, no... a business owner has a political opinion that i don't like. to the fainting couch!

now... the fact that he cooked a ribeye to 140°F is a completely different story.

I don't shop at Wal-mart (or Amazon) because of their business practices, I didn't ever go to Mike's Burgers (or whatever the place is that is also super right-wing), I don't go to Starbucks any longer because their managers at certain locations are idiots. I don't shop at places that I don't agree with their political opinions or operating procedures - what's so wrong about that? I harbor no illusion that they care if anybody does that, but I feel better not giving money to people/companies I don't agree with.

Jersey Boss
04-13-2021, 09:51 AM
I don't shop at Wal-mart (or Amazon) because of their business practices, I didn't ever go to Mike's Burgers (or whatever the place is that is also super right-wing), I don't go to Starbucks any longer because their managers at certain locations are idiots. I don't shop at places that I don't agree with their political opinions or operating procedures - what's so wrong about that? I harbor no illusion that they care if anybody does that, but I feel better not giving money to people/companies I don't agree with.

+ 1. Sounds like free market capitalism to me. I don't know what the basis of mocking is all about.

Mballard85
04-13-2021, 10:35 AM
+ 1. Sounds like free market capitalism to me. I don't know what the basis of mocking is all about.

Because its OKCTalk and that is exactly what happens when you ruffle feathers of some.

TheTravellers
04-13-2021, 11:06 AM
Because its OKCTalk and that is exactly what happens when you ruffle feathers of some.

Well, Martin's answer had a bit of humor, so I really didn't take it to heart, just wanted to back up my point. :)

Midtowner
04-13-2021, 12:11 PM
On a positive note, I'm gladdened to see the amount of interest forum participants are showing in a burger restaurant which is not a chain.

mugofbeer
04-13-2021, 02:08 PM
Are the onion rings like the old place?

Pete
04-13-2021, 02:09 PM
Are the onion rings like the old place?

Yes.

Still some of the best rings in town.

billokc
04-17-2021, 11:52 PM
I know someone who went there on Saturday 4/17. Here's what he posted on FB:

Saturday I finally got in line at Charcoal Oven! There is no drive through which is a terrible mistake for a restaurant like this! Consequently I was there about an hour in total before I got my food. They are busy is the understatement! I ordered a Penn Square burger and a Charcoal Oven Frank with hickory sauce and of course a large order of onion rings. I asked that a tomato be added to the burger. The food is definitely the charcoal oven recipe and taste from before, YES especially the rings! I was delighted! They are very busy and possibly short staffed. (Help Wanted sign on the door). They forgot my tomato and I felt I got a small ring order instead of a large. I will definitely go back! The drive through locations on NW Expressway were my favorite Saturday lunch stops for years! Hopefully they will do well and rethink their location and add a drive through in the future! Now all I need is a County Line BBQ! I miss the 3 meat combo, same ol’ way!

TheTravellers
04-18-2021, 11:30 AM
I know someone who went there on Saturday 4/17. Here's what he posted on FB:

Saturday I finally got in line at Charcoal Oven! There is no drive through which is a terrible mistake for a restaurant like this! Consequently I was there about an hour in total before I got my food. They are busy is the understatement! I ordered a Penn Square burger and a Charcoal Oven Frank with hickory sauce and of course a large order of onion rings. I asked that a tomato be added to the burger. The food is definitely the charcoal oven recipe and taste from before, YES especially the rings! I was delighted! They are very busy and possibly short staffed. (Help Wanted sign on the door). They forgot my tomato and I felt I got a small ring order instead of a large. I will definitely go back! The drive through locations on NW Expressway were my favorite Saturday lunch stops for years! Hopefully they will do well and rethink their location and add a drive through in the future! Now all I need is a County Line BBQ! I miss the 3 meat combo, same ol’ way!

There can never be a drive-through at that location, it's physically impossible due to the building layout (and a drive-through can't ever be retrofitted anywhere in that strip mall). Also, wife read about their lack of masks - counter employee had one, but no other employees did, not sure about the customers.

Thomas Vu
04-18-2021, 09:59 PM
I visited on Saturday at about noon. Also waited an hour for my food.

I counted 3/8 employees wearing masks. 2 of which were worn correctly. Somebody in the back and a front person assembling orders. Cooks/registers/people in the back not so much.

Can confirm super busy and also waited an hour for my food. Ordered the cowboy (2/3 with bacon) with grilled onions and cheddar with small onion rings. Burger was super well done, but did have the charcoal taste. Was not seasoned otherwise. Onion rings were good. With the size and thickness of breading my jaw eventually got tired of chewing.

Overall, I'd go next door to the patty wagon. I am curious whether or not nostalgia will be the main motivator for it's success. Customers were mostly masked, and correctly at that.

whatitis
04-19-2021, 06:55 AM
I visited on Saturday at about noon. Also waited an hour for my food.

I counted 3/8 employees wearing masks. 2 of which were worn correctly. Somebody in the back and a front person assembling orders. Cooks/registers/people in the back not so much.

Can confirm super busy and also waited an hour for my food. Ordered the cowboy (2/3 with bacon) with grilled onions and cheddar with small onion rings. Burger was super well done, but did have the charcoal taste. Was not seasoned otherwise. Onion rings were good. With the size and thickness of breading my jaw eventually got tired of chewing.

Overall, I'd go next door to the patty wagon. I am curious whether or not nostalgia will be the main motivator for it's success. Customers were mostly masked, and correctly at that.

I love patty wagon. Maybe when it does down at charcoal oven I'll swing by. But for now patty wagon!

billokc
05-04-2021, 02:52 PM
Finally had the opportunity to try CO for a late lunch today. Good burger & fries. Only a handful of others in there because was after the main lunch rush. I'll be back for future meals.

soonerguru
05-11-2021, 11:17 AM
I guess this joint is closed for dinner? Was looking for takeout and thought I would give it a try. Had a tough time locating hours and their phone number to call ahead. After scouring Google I called the published number, which rerouted to an unanswered cell phone.

Seems like the son in law doesn't share the same standards as the progenitors of this operation.

Thomas Vu
05-11-2021, 01:29 PM
I guess this joint is closed for dinner? Was looking for takeout and thought I would give it a try. Had a tough time locating hours and their phone number to call ahead. After scouring Google I called the published number, which rerouted to an unanswered cell phone.

Seems like the son in law doesn't share the same standards as the progenitors of this operation.

IIRC the hours when it opened was like 12-5. Pretty small window. Heard somebody working entertain closing at 9, but I guess the staff isn't up to snuff yet.

mugofbeer
05-11-2021, 07:45 PM
They may be having problems finding help like everyone else is.

Dob Hooligan
05-12-2021, 10:00 AM
They may be having problems finding help like everyone else is.

Very possible.

I gotta say it seems to me the owner is semi-retired and looking for something to get out of the house. He is stuck with the lease for a long term and doesn't appear to "need" the money. I'm guessing he is doing a soft opening for 30 hours a week and playing the schedule as it develops over the next few months. IMO, he ain't in a hurry and doesn't really care what we think.

TheTravellers
05-12-2021, 10:08 AM
... IMO, he ain't in a hurry and doesn't really care what we think.

Which is a really crappy attitude for a restaurateur to have...

mugofbeer
05-12-2021, 02:43 PM
Not necessarily. He may wish to not have to be in-store all the time and hire people to operate it. If he can't find help and is "breaking the place in" himself, he prefers to limit his hours. There are other "non-crappy attitude" assumptions that could be reasons such as supply limitations, quality problems, efficiency concerns, etc.

soonerguru
05-13-2021, 09:52 PM
Very possible.

I gotta say it seems to me the owner is semi-retired and looking for something to get out of the house. He is stuck with the lease for a long term and doesn't appear to "need" the money. I'm guessing he is doing a soft opening for 30 hours a week and playing the schedule as it develops over the next few months. IMO, he ain't in a hurry and doesn't really care what we think.

Yes, this tracks with how he ran the previous establishment.

It's a shame because I got to know the owners of the original and they very much cared what their customers thought. Completely different mentality.

Dob Hooligan
05-14-2021, 12:28 PM
Yes, this tracks with how he ran the previous establishment.

It's a shame because I got to know the owners of the original and they very much cared what their customers thought. Completely different mentality.

I regret that my statement "doesn't really care what we think" appears to be misinterpreted. My meaning is that I'm guessing the owner/operator is secure in the knowledge that he can provide a good product during his current hours of operation and isn't going to extend them until he is comfortable.

nighttrain12
10-06-2021, 10:40 PM
Finally ate at this new Charcoal Oven today. I ate at the one on NW Expwy for many years. The burger and fries were very delicious and seemed the same as at the previous location. The man at the register was very friendly, I don't know if he is the new owner but perhaps. It was around 11:30am and at least 10 other tables had people eating there. I will definitely be back for more tasty food!

GaryOKC6
10-07-2021, 08:41 AM
The owner is a friend of mine and is part of the original family who started Charcoal Oven. They sold it but kept the rights to the brand. When the other owners closed it his dream was to bring back the original great tasting burgers. When he reopened he went to great lengths to duplicate the original product. He spent months trying beef, chicken and potatoes from different companies and had several taste tests before choosing the ingredients. Their original Theta sauce is still used. He is passionate about the quality and is normally the one at the register taking orders. I can say that no one has worked harder to resurrect a brand thank Bill Allen

TheTravellers
10-07-2021, 11:22 AM
The owner is a friend of mine and is part of the original family who started Charcoal Oven. They sold it but kept the rights to the brand. When the other owners closed it his dream was to bring back the original great tasting burgers. When he reopened he went to great lengths to duplicate the original product. He spent months trying beef, chicken and potatoes from different companies and had several taste tests before choosing the ingredients. Their original Theta sauce is still used. He is passionate about the quality and is normally the one at the register taking orders. I can say that no one has worked harder to resurrect a brand thank Bill Allen

Interesting backstory - how does the above square up with the bad Yelp and Google reviews that complain about the food quality?

Thomas Vu
10-08-2021, 02:52 PM
Interesting backstory - how does the above square up with the bad Yelp and Google reviews that complain about the food quality?

Not sure what happened, but it looks like they're doing okay in the reviews in that it seems they've mass deleted the lot.

TheTravellers
10-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Not sure what happened, but it looks like they're doing okay in the reviews in that it seems they've mass deleted the lot.

On Yelp, out of the first 10 on the first page (sorted by "Yelp Sort", whatever stupid algorithm that is), I think there are 2 1-star, 2 2-star, and 1 3-star, and Google has a couple of 1-starred reviews, so not sure what you're seeing, but the ones that made me question GaryOKC6 are still there.

nighttrain12
10-08-2021, 10:07 PM
I haven't posted my 4 1/2 star review as I don't generally do that. My only quibble was it was a little chilly in there and kind of a bare bones seating area but I got mine to go and the food was spot on so I am definitely adding it to my rotation of lunch locations during weekdays. I'm glad to know about Bill Allen's involvement. That had to be who took my order. He clearly knows about customer service though in the end, its about the food.

Bill Robertson
10-09-2021, 08:37 AM
I just read a bunch of reviews on the Remember Oklahoma City FB page. About evenly split between "very good" and "really bad".

Dob Hooligan
10-09-2021, 10:03 AM
I just read a bunch of reviews on the Remember Oklahoma City FB page. About evenly split between "very good" and "really bad".

I have eaten there twice since they opened. First time "very good" and second time "really bad".

Thomas Vu
10-10-2021, 09:07 PM
On Yelp, out of the first 10 on the first page (sorted by "Yelp Sort", whatever stupid algorithm that is), I think there are 2 1-star, 2 2-star, and 1 3-star, and Google has a couple of 1-starred reviews, so not sure what you're seeing, but the ones that made me question GaryOKC6 are still there.

They used to have over 1k reviews cause they had the old location. It wasn't particularly favorable. Now it shows ~4.5 on both with under 50 reviews altogether

Jersey Boss
10-10-2021, 11:04 PM

Change the setting to "newest first" from "yelp sort". It seems to me the most recent reviews are the most relevant when wanting to know present status.

barrettd
10-11-2021, 08:03 AM

That seems about right, though. Even towards the end of Charcoal Oven, the experience could be vastly different from one visit to another. I admit I don't have much motivation to visit the new place, given all the great burger joints already around.

MagzOK
10-11-2021, 08:09 AM
That seems about right, though. Even towards the end of Charcoal Oven, the experience could be vastly different from one visit to another. I admit I don't have much motivation to visit the new place, given all the great burger joints already around.

^^ Sadly I feel the same. Our family went there for many years, but the last handful of visits resulted in various experiences ranging from nearly rare patties to almost cold burgers by the time we left the window and parked in the lot to eat under the awning. The last time we went the burger was so cold I just spit it out it was just so gross and unfortunately that's the last "taste" I have of the place.

TheTravellers
10-11-2021, 10:32 AM
Change the setting to "newest first" from "yelp sort". It seems to me the most recent reviews are the most relevant when wanting to know present status.

Yep, that's the first thing I do every time I visit Yelp. :) I just put that out there because the average person probably doesn't change that and the "Yelp Sort" is the default view, so those will be the first reviews most people see.