View Full Version : Tesla in Tulsa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

jedicurt
06-29-2020, 12:22 PM
I still feel OKC would have been an easier sell than Tulsa. Tulsa is doing well, but OKC having OU and OSU within a 1 hour drive would do wonders, since Austin has UT-Austin.

Tulsa has OSU and U of Arkansas within like 90-100 minutes of it...

OKC Guy
06-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Just being in the running can kickstart other companies interest. Lots of big behind the scene agencies get involved and now have great data on Tulsa and Oklahoma in general. Free press as well.

jdizzle
06-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Tulsa has OSU and U of Arkansas within like 90-100 minutes of it...

2 hours, but yes, you are right. But OU and OSU have top tier engineering schools, in different areas. I see your point. But when comparing a big fish (Austin) with a small fish (Tulsa), Oklahoma using a medium fish (OKC) might have helped bridge the gap. I hope Tulsa gets it, for OKs sake. Just can't help but wonder if OKC would be the better choice.

OKC Guy
06-29-2020, 12:27 PM
I still feel OKC would have been an easier sell than Tulsa. Tulsa is doing well, but OKC having OU and OSU within a 1 hour drive would do wonders, since Austin has UT-Austin.

The other advantage is being closer to Dallas, you can easier pull talent from Dallas to OKC than Tulsa.

jerrywall
06-29-2020, 12:31 PM
The other advantage is being closer to Dallas, you can easier pull talent from Dallas to OKC than Tulsa.

It's completely anecdotal and unscientific, but folks I interact with in the tech community have a better perception of Tulsa as a relocation potential than OKC. I don't think the comparisons they would make are accurate (Tulsa is seen as hipper, more urban, younger, more liberal, etc) but the perception is out there in some circles at least.

GoGators
06-29-2020, 12:57 PM
2 hours, but yes, you are right. But OU and OSU have top tier engineering schools, in different areas. I see your point. But when comparing a big fish (Austin) with a small fish (Tulsa), Oklahoma using a medium fish (OKC) might have helped bridge the gap. I hope Tulsa gets it, for OKs sake. Just can't help but wonder if OKC would be the better choice.

You can go Norman to Tulsa in less than 2 hours. I understand what you are saying with OKC having OU in the actual metro as a selling point and i definitely agree. But Tulsa does sit in a pretty nice spot in relation to 3 large universities. Of course that does look less impressive when comparing it to having one of the largest public universities in the country in your downtown.

jedicurt
06-29-2020, 02:21 PM
You can go Norman to Tulsa in less than 2 hours. I understand what you are saying with OKC having OU in the actual metro as a selling point and i definitely agree. But Tulsa does sit in a pretty nice spot in relation to 3 large universities. Of course that does look less impressive when comparing it to having one of the largest public universities in the country in your downtown.

and Tulsa has a port... something that even Austin doesn't have

BG918
06-29-2020, 03:24 PM

I'm not sure if that is really that necessary for their operations but I'm sure it doesn't hurt. Rail and obviously highway access are absolutely critical; you are significantly closer to the midwest and eastern markets via both in Tulsa vs central Texas.

gopokes88
06-29-2020, 04:38 PM

The port has been a massive selling point. Access to the upper Midwest, gulf, and east coast.

PhiAlpha
06-29-2020, 09:13 PM
Regarding Tesla in Tulsa here's what I heard.

1. Austin and particularity Travis County pissed off some very high ups at Tesla. If there's 10 people who get input, they pissed off like #3-5. Musk is annoyed but not pissed yet. Those Telsa execs are loudly advocating long term Austin is simply California 2.0.
2. The grand gestures were received very well.
3. Lots of the oil money and companies in Tulsa (and one in OKC apparently) made calls and said they would be welcomed. The oil CEOs told Telsa they view the future that there's a need for both. This was received well.
4. Stitt and Musk talk a lot, Stitt promised OU and OSU would receive funding boosts to their engineering programs. Stitt has been full court press. (My opinion; this is exactly why you elect Stitt, if anyone can close the deal and sell Tulsa, it's the guy who built a massive company based on his sales ability)
5. Musk wasn't kidding about being done with California. This site will eventually be the corporate HQ and Tesla will eventually have 0 operations in California. Tulsa has done a lot to slow this down, but ultimately Musk is going to live by this plant, and he loves Austin. That's the tall order right now. It shifted from we can make the things you need here, into does Elon Musk think he can live in Tulsa, Oklahoma one day?
6. Tesla ran a secret poll to various people in the company with a very surprising result. 80% of those polled would be willing to relocate to Austin, but 65% were also willing to relocate to Tulsa. This # was higher than they thought it would be.

Austin is still probably going to get it, but all the momentum is on Tulsa's side.

A pretty solid situation that works for both cities would be Austin getting the HQ and Tulsa getting the plant. Everyone wins...except California which I’m fine with.

gopokes88
06-29-2020, 09:32 PM
A pretty solid situation that works for both cities would be Austin getting the HQ and Tulsa getting the plant. Everyone wins...except California which I’m fine with.

Musk likes having HQ by the plant. Manufacturers have stupidly gotten away from this over the years. The reason is innovation in techniques and products. It’s is quicker and easier when the people who can find the efficiencies are near the people who can approve them.

I think Austin gets this plant and when the California plant ages out the capex to upgrade goes to Tulsa and they shutter that plant.

brian72
06-30-2020, 08:24 AM
Pipe dream that it comes here. Austin is where the younger people want to go. Wish I was wrong.

PhiAlpha
06-30-2020, 08:25 AM
Pipe dream that it comes here. Austin is where the younger people want to go. Wish I was wrong.

Austin is the likely destination but it definitely is more than a pipe dream from everything I’ve been hearing.

Laramie
06-30-2020, 09:24 AM
Texas' capital city has so much more to offer than Tulsa. Not sure Austin wants Telsa; not as much as Tulsa wants Telsa.

Mike_M
06-30-2020, 09:45 AM
Musk likes having HQ by the plant. Manufacturers have stupidly gotten away from this over the years. The reason is innovation in techniques and products. It’s is quicker and easier when the people who can find the efficiencies are near the people who can approve them.

I think Austin gets this plant and when the California plant ages out the capex to upgrade goes to Tulsa and they shutter that plant.

It's like Tulsa's own Hornets-Thunder story.

jedicurt
06-30-2020, 10:04 AM
i mean, if he is looking at moving everything of his out of California permanently... one of the things that Oklahoma can offer is a space port... heck, lets have the State just give him Burns Flat airport with all of the FAA clearance that comes with it. maybe that would throw it over for Tesla to Tulsa is giving something that can be a SpaceX presence in the state too

5alive
06-30-2020, 10:49 AM
Love this idea^^^^^^^

OKC Guy
06-30-2020, 10:58 AM
In Texas Tesla is just another company of many large ones.

In Tulsa Tesla would be one of if not the top dog. That goes a long ways when you have more say on things.

I think he goes to Texas cause thats logical.

HangryHippo
06-30-2020, 11:41 AM
In Texas Tesla is just another company of many large ones.

In Tulsa Tesla would be one of if not the top dog. That goes a long ways when you have more say on things.
Yep. Maybe not enough, but there's lots to be said for being one of the biggest fish in a small pond.

BG918
06-30-2020, 03:59 PM

Tech workers maybe. Auto workers could care less whether the city is hip or not, they just want a steady job and an affordable place to live.

Plutonic Panda
06-30-2020, 06:34 PM
Folks, please consider signing this:

https://www.tulsasaysyes.com/

AP
06-30-2020, 06:38 PM
Tech workers maybe. Auto workers could care less whether the city is hip or not, they just want a steady job and an affordable place to live.

Yes everyone knows that blue collar works couldn’t care less about living in a cool city. They’re just tryin to survive.

Mike_M
06-30-2020, 07:05 PM

Meh, I think Tesla has enough pull to bring worldwide talent wherever it sets up shop. Trying to convince Elon Musk to live in Tulsa is probably a harder sell.

jccouger
07-01-2020, 08:36 AM
It's always fun to dream about winning the lottery until the numbers are announced lol

Jersey Boss
07-01-2020, 09:44 AM
Meh, I think Tesla has enough pull to bring worldwide talent wherever it sets up shop. Trying to convince Elon Musk to live in Tulsa is probably a harder sell.

Tesla would not have to scour the world to staff a truck manufacturing facility. Wherever he puts it and wherever his residence(s) are, are not synonymous.

FighttheGoodFight
07-01-2020, 09:52 AM
All it takes is one tech company to move here and I think the ball would roll.

I had a pretty good job offer in Austin a few years ago in tech and after visiting, looking at housing prices and the traffic I stayed in Oklahoma. Maybe fresh out of college kids with no need to buy and just rent with friends it would be fine but I cant imagine raising a family down there.

jdizzle
07-01-2020, 10:12 AM
It's always fun to dream about winning the lottery until the numbers are announced lol

But you can't win the lottery without playing.

hoya
07-01-2020, 10:34 AM
Somebody point out to Elon that he can get medical marijuana in Oklahoma, but not in Texas. I hear he likes the stuff.

hoya
07-01-2020, 10:59 AM
I think Tulsa could do well marketing itself as the "hip" and "progressive" place to live in Oklahoma. Just like Austin is seen as this liberal oasis in Texas, Tulsa could try to play that same angle here. Tulsa has some advantages over OKC in terms of natural beauty. It's simply in a prettier part of the state. Add to that their music scene, their museums, and local philanthropists, they could establish a nice national identity for themselves. Getting Tesla would certainly help in that.

chuck5815
07-01-2020, 11:16 AM
Somebody point out to Elon that he can get medical marijuana in Oklahoma, but not in Texas. I hear he likes the stuff.

lol, whether he lived in Oklahoma or Texas -- he would have the very finest flown in from California on a daily basis.

soonerfan_in_okc
07-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Am being told we will hear something this month.

P.s. is the talk about Tesla moving HQ anything more than talk at the moment?

Jersey Boss
07-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Am being told we will hear something this month.

P.s. is the talk about Tesla moving HQ anything more than talk at the moment?

In May he claimed to be moving to either Texas or Nevada. He does appear a tad manical at times.

Elon Musk Says Tesla Suing California County, Moving Headquarters Out Of State : Coronavirus Live Updates : NPR
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/09/853313775/elon-musk-says-tesla-suing-california-county-moving-headquarters-out-of-state

LocoAko
07-01-2020, 04:14 PM
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1278451464562753537

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to
@GovStitt and @Tesla

Wow, I’ve never seen this level of support! Out of respect, seems like I should at least visit.

lol.

Either this is extremely condescending or he's sarcastically implying that he's seriously considering Tulsa.

mugofbeer
07-01-2020, 07:15 PM
In May he claimed to be moving to either Texas or Nevada. He does appear a tad manical at times.

Elon Musk Says Tesla Suing California County, Moving Headquarters Out Of State : Coronavirus Live Updates : NPR
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/09/853313775/elon-musk-says-tesla-suing-california-county-moving-headquarters-out-of-state

I'm probably stating very old news to you but just in case, Musk is diagnosed as bipolar.

As far as him living in OK, I seriously doubt it but that shouldn't matter to where his plant goes.

Plutonic Panda
07-01-2020, 09:00 PM
https://youtu.be/-Z0qfasU0As

An Austin native. Lol

shawnw
07-01-2020, 09:33 PM
Elon replied to the gov tonight

soonerfan_in_okc
07-01-2020, 10:49 PM
Elon replied to the gov tonight

He has to have a spare 2,500 jobs he can throw our way.

gopokes88
07-01-2020, 10:51 PM
I’m telling you guys, these grand gestures are having an impact. A basic human desire is a desire to be wanted.

FighttheGoodFight
07-02-2020, 07:37 AM
I’m telling you guys, these grand gestures are having an impact. A basic human desire is a desire to be wanted.

Especially for a person like Elon

chuck5815
07-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Sounds like these guys are actually selling a few cars here and there.

dankrutka
07-02-2020, 10:54 AM
https://youtu.be/-Z0qfasU0As

An Austin native. Lol

This is well done. lol

gopokes88
07-04-2020, 11:29 AM
Things are happening.

https://twitter.com/roberthefnerv/status/1279461436859744262?s=21

BG918
07-04-2020, 03:14 PM
Proposed location in East Tulsa (Wagoner County/Tulsa city limits)
https://i.imgur.com/xqFFTk2.png

https://i.imgur.com/CbFVBor.png

chuck5815
07-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Things are happening.

The Hef and Stitt trying to close that deal.

ChrisHayes
07-05-2020, 04:26 AM
I won't be surprised if they're extremely close to a deal. The talks have been going on for a long time, and if you look at those picture, they already have a construction company picked out (Crossland Construction). I don't think they would have that on there if they hadn't already finalized at least some parts of this.

dcsooner
07-05-2020, 05:06 AM
I won't be surprised if they're extremely close to a deal. The talks have been going on for a long time, and if you look at those picture, they already have a construction company picked out (Crossland Construction). I don't think they would have that on there if they hadn't already finalized at least some parts of this.

I agree with the “some part of this”. Believe Tulsa may get a nice consolation prize

Bunty
07-05-2020, 10:10 AM
Things are happening.

Where was that picture taken? On the proposed site?

I wonder how the deal is going in Austin. I thought a school district had to be willing to give up millions for 10 years.

catch22
07-05-2020, 11:05 AM
Even if Tulsa doesn't get this, I think Elon will throw something at Tulsa. Like a smaller factory, or a factory for one of his other companies.

jccouger
07-05-2020, 12:24 PM
I really wonder if they dont build the Tesla Semi in Tulsa.

The Cybertruck’s demand is gonna be big, but Tesla knows if they can say its built in Texas that will convert A TON of texans to purchase one. A lot of Texans would say no just on principle of it being built in OK.

I dont think there would be any regional bias for semi demand. Thats gonna be a pure financial decision for end consumer businesses.

It also might be hard to tool a production facility to produce both the semi & truck and thus need 2 separate facilities. I could see them building batteries & the truck in Austin and doing the semi in Tulsa.

chuck5815
07-05-2020, 01:17 PM
Thought this was interesting, from a TulsaWorld article:

“Meanwhile, just being a finalist for Tesla’s factory has already given Tulsa and the rest of Oklahoma more credibility with other companies, Kouplen said. His office is currently working on at least 115 economic development opportunities across the state, with many of the companies giving the state a serious look as a direct result of Tesla’s interest, he said.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/elon-musk-hints-at-tulsa-visit-during-latest-push-to-get-tesla-plant-in-oklahoma/article_ee7b7292-bddb-5f0e-aa6a-c53a3a3fddc9.amp.html

BG918
07-05-2020, 02:07 PM
I really wonder if they dont build the Tesla Semi in Tulsa.

The Cybertruck’s demand is gonna be big, but Tesla knows if they can say its built in Texas that will convert A TON of texans to purchase one. A lot of Texans would say no just on principle of it being built in OK.

I dont think there would be any regional bias for semi demand. Thats gonna be a pure financial decision for end consumer businesses.

It also might be hard to tool a production facility to produce both the semi & truck and thus need 2 separate facilities. I could see them building batteries & the truck in Austin and doing the semi in Tulsa.

The semi is truly the future of electric vehicles. That is something that will complete revolutionize the trucking industry and how goods are shipped/delivered throughout the US and eventually the world. At least until Bezos figures out how to use drones to deliver goods. By then Oklahoma may be a leader in that as well.

ChrisHayes
07-05-2020, 03:38 PM

“Meanwhile, just being a finalist for Tesla’s factory has already given Tulsa and the rest of Oklahoma more credibility with other companies, Kouplen said. His office is currently working on at least 115 economic development opportunities across the state, with many of the companies giving the state a serious look as a direct result of Tesla’s interest, he said.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/elon-musk-hints-at-tulsa-visit-during-latest-push-to-get-tesla-plant-in-oklahoma/article_ee7b7292-bddb-5f0e-aa6a-c53a3a3fddc9.amp.html

That comes as no surprise. I'd like to know some names and where they're looking at. I'd still like to see I-44 from Lawton to Tulsa become a corridor of economic development. Just like 35 is from Dallas southward.

jdizzle
07-05-2020, 03:59 PM
That comes as no surprise. I'd like to know some names and where they're looking at. I'd still like to see I-44 from Lawton to Tulsa become a corridor of economic development. Just like 35 is from Dallas southward.

The turnpike is a barrier to entry. With that not having free travel, it is harder to sell developing along that route. It isn't impossible, by any means. But I-35 is free, whereas I-44 costs money. Which hinders, somewhat.

soonerfan_in_okc
07-05-2020, 04:39 PM
The turnpike is a barrier to entry. With that not having free travel, it is harder to sell developing along that route. It isn't impossible, by any means. But I-35 is free, whereas I-44 costs money. Which hinders, somewhat.

Totally off topic, but why is that? Why are some interstates toll and others free. What made oklahoma say let's charge here, but not there. Same with Kansas and I-35

soonerfan_in_okc
07-05-2020, 04:45 PM

Show this to the folks who said Tesla in Tulsa wouldn't help Okc. Great branding for the entire state.

BG918
07-05-2020, 06:12 PM

Another potential corridor is 412 between Tulsa and Northwest Arkansas. This site is only 90 miles to Fayetteville.

Scott5114
07-06-2020, 09:44 PM
Totally off topic, but why is that? Why are some interstates toll and others free. What made oklahoma say let's charge here, but not there. Same with Kansas and I-35

For the most part, the turnpikes carrying Interstates were built by the states before Interstate system funding was available. For example, the Turner Turnpike was authorized by the Legislature in 1947 and opened in 1953. The Interstate bill wasn't signed into law until 1956.

When Interstate construction began, several of the most important corridors between cities already had a turnpike. So rather than wasting money building parallel Interstates, they just modified the system to use the existing turnpikes where feasible.

Bunty
07-10-2020, 02:10 AM
Travis County is stalling: http://siliconhillsnews.com/2020/07/07/travis-county-continues-to-mull-economic-incentives-for-1-billion-tesla-gigafactory/

jdizzle
07-10-2020, 04:37 AM
Why haven't we heard more about Oklahoma's incentives package?

dcsooner
07-10-2020, 05:13 AM
Why haven't we heard more about Oklahoma's incentives package?

Think Tesla holding out for Austin incentives. Best Tulsa can hope for is some level of spin off production