View Full Version : Tesla in Tulsa

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Bunty
05-25-2020, 12:26 PM
Tulsa IMO has a very good chance of securing the Telsa Plant.

If Telsa were going to Texas, you bet they would have already selected Austin. Texas isn't going to give any more incentives to lure Telsa and they know it. They are playing this game to see what they can get from Oklahoma. They know Oklahoma's track record on tax incentives thru the old Oklahoma City GM plant debacle.

If we were to get this plant; it will be great for all of Oklahoma particularly the Tulsa, Muskogee and Bartlesville (Northeast Quadrant) would reap the benefits of employment and support from this huge mega plant.

Let's not forget; Tulsa is on a barge canal transportation system Ports of Catoosa/Muskogee, an extra alternative that Austin doesn't have.

Bartlesville and Muskogee don't benefit much as it is now from being close to Tulsa. Instead, I see the east side suburbs booming even more, like Broken Arrow, Owasso and Claremore. They're closer and most people don't want to drive to work any further than they have to.

BG918
05-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Bartlesville and Muskogee don't benefit much as it is now from being close to Tulsa. Instead, I see the east side suburbs booming even more, like Broken Arrow, Owasso and Claremore. They're closer and most people don't want to drive to work any further than they have to.

The Black Fox site near Inola has been mentioned as a possible location. It was recently transferred from PSO to the Port Authority. The eastern half has a new Sofidel paper mill and as part of that development they built a rail spur to the Union Pacific main line. The western half of the site is still undeveloped and has plans for barge terminal facilities with direct access to the Verdigris River. The eastern suburbs of Tulsa are about 20 min away via Hwy 412.

Eric
05-25-2020, 07:29 PM

This may be a shocker, but Bartlesville has a net influx of commuters on a given day, not the other way around. So I don't see this helping B'Ville one bit in terms of growing the community.

gopokes88
05-25-2020, 08:09 PM
Austin is firmly in the lead but some blue blooded Tulsa friends tell me George Kaiser is becoming very very very active recruiting Tesla.

Laramie
05-25-2020, 08:20 PM
Oops! Good points, forgot about Broken Arrow (110,135) & Owasso (33,773) they are closer to Tulsa. They are two cities in the Tulsa MSA that has maintained substantial growth.

OkiePoke
05-26-2020, 07:26 AM
Any idea when there will be an announcement?

Jersey Boss
05-26-2020, 10:29 AM
Maybe the State will kick in Burns Flats for Space-X. I believe that was the vision for this place for some years.

Bunty
05-26-2020, 12:19 PM
Austin is firmly in the lead but some blue blooded Tulsa friends tell me George Kaiser is becoming very very very active recruiting Tesla.

Well, yeah, after he blew nearly a half billion for a new city park, he'd like to see it pay off well before he passes away. He's 77.

Jersey Boss
05-26-2020, 01:24 PM
Well, yeah, after he blew nearly a half billion for a new city park, he'd like to see it pay off well before he passes away. He's 77.

Why do you feel that putting your money where your mouth is for civic improvements, "blowing" a half billion dollars? I would gladly welcome anyone contributing that kind of money to Norman for civic improvements.

BG918
05-26-2020, 03:22 PM

All of GKFF's contributions to Tulsa are well over $1B. In addition to the Gathering Place they are behind Guthrie Green, the Bob Dylan Archive, Tulsa Artist Fellowship, Tulsa Remote, EduCare, expansion/preservation of Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness, recent downtown streetscape improvements, the divided biking/walking trails along the Arkansas River, among others..

HOT ROD
05-26-2020, 03:46 PM
imagine there's no tulsa as we know it without him. ..

dcsooner
05-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Why do you feel that putting your money where your mouth is for civic improvements, "blowing" a half billion dollars? I would gladly welcome anyone contributing that kind of money to Norman for civic improvements.

Absolutely agree

Eric
05-27-2020, 01:07 AM
Kaiser Foundation making a push with some extremely well produced videos...

https://vimeo.com/420696275

AP
05-27-2020, 07:39 AM
Very impressive. It makes me a little jealous, tbh.

chuck5815
05-27-2020, 07:48 AM
Kaiser Foundation making a push with some extremely well produced videos...

https://vimeo.com/420696275

weird. I didn’t see any Kaiser Francis EE’s in the video. I guess none of them are edgy enough?

Eric
05-27-2020, 08:25 AM
weird. I didn’t see any Kaiser Francis EE’s in the video. I guess none of them are edgy enough?

He doesn't run any hi-tech type companies. That was kind of the point of the pitch. Tulsa is a good place for hi-tech.

GKFF is a foundation. Not that exciting.

Pete
05-27-2020, 08:47 AM
This point has been made before but OKC does not have private benefactors who are helping our community in any way like Kaiser.

Aubrey McClendon used Chesapeake money, not his own and that dried up as soon as he was given the boot and well before his death.

Devon has obviously made a big investment but has also received a lot of help from the city and Larry Nichols has done very little outside the company which is publicly owned.

Harold Hamm has made some donations to diabetes research at the OUHSC but that is a cause that is personal to him.

You could point to the Thunder but the city has poured tens of millions into the arena and of course the owners are making a profit.

We just keep taxing ourselves and the big money guys in town are the ones personally benefitting. Would sure be nice if we had people stepping up like Kaiser.

runOKC
05-27-2020, 09:05 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-08/oklahoma-s-future-rests-in-the-hands-of-two-very-different-oil-billionaires

This article has been posted here before but I’ll post again for anyone who hasn’t read it. Super interesting read.

jccouger
05-27-2020, 09:24 AM
This point has been made before but OKC does not have private benefactors who are helping our community in any way like Kaiser.

Aubrey McClendon used Chesapeake money, not his own and that dried up as soon as he was given the boot and well before his death.

Devon has obviously made a big investment but has also received a lot of help from the city and Larry Nichols has done very little outside the company which is publicly owned.

Harold Hamm has made some donations to diabetes research at the OUHSC but that is a cause that is personal to him.

You could point to the Thunder but the city has poured tens of millions into the arena and of course the owners are making a profit.

We just keep taxing ourselves and the big money guys in town are the ones personally benefitting. Would sure be nice if we had people stepping up like Kaiser.

The Love's family perhaps? I know a lot of the donations are made from their company but they seem to be a little more committed to the community than most of our billionaires.

BG918
05-27-2020, 01:25 PM

The Green family has oddly helped Tulsa more than OKC with their significant contributions to ORU. Unless they are involved in other local philanthropy that I'm not aware of.

Pete
05-27-2020, 01:27 PM
The Green family has oddly helped Tulsa more than OKC with their significant contributions to ORU. Unless they are involved in other local philanthropy that I'm not aware of.

They have helped OBU but of course that is in Shawnee and is a pretty big reach.

HangryHippo
05-27-2020, 01:27 PM
The Green family is pretty worthless as far as OKC philanthropy goes, except for stealing antiquities. But even those were sent to D.C.

Laramie
05-27-2020, 01:28 PM
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/05/22/13/28703384-8347887-image-a-1_1590150880814.jpg

Tulsa is really exploring all avenue to secure this plant. Hope their extraordinary efforts pay off. This will be a win for Oklahoma; especially a boost to the Tulsa area with 10,000 jobs

Bunty
05-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Apparently, Gov. Stitt was with Musk today.

https://twitter.com/GovStitt/status/1265746778734944259?s=20

chuck5815
05-27-2020, 07:59 PM
It's weird to see all of the Billionaire Bashing on here. The Loves and Greens have created thousands of jobs and decided to keep their Corporate HQ's in OKC, when they could have easily moved them to Dallas or Frisco. I agree, it would be nice if they invested in parks or recreation, but I would suggest their corporate presence has been particularly material to OKC, in a variety of ways.

BG918
05-28-2020, 07:36 PM
Looks like the Navistar/IC Bus plant is off the table as a possible factory site, which is good news as it employs 1600 people

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/city-of-tulsa-ic-bus-announce-new-20-year-agreement-for-bus-manufacturing-plant-301067069.html

dcsooner
05-28-2020, 08:16 PM
Looks like the Navistar/IC Bus plant is off the table as a possible factory site, which is good news as it employs 1600 people

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/city-of-tulsa-ic-bus-announce-new-20-year-agreement-for-bus-manufacturing-plant-301067069.html

Love the City slogan

Robert_M
06-01-2020, 01:55 PM
Read through the thread quickly and didn't see any mention but Tulsa is getting at least a Tesla Delivery and Service Center. Going in at 6010 S. 129th Ave. East. Currently set to bid the middle of June. Shows to be 23,718 square feet.

Pete
06-01-2020, 04:05 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tesla4.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tesla2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tesla3.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tesla5.jpg

Plutonic Panda
06-01-2020, 04:15 PM
What happened to the one that was going to be built in OKC?

Pete
06-01-2020, 04:15 PM
What happened to the one that was going to be built in OKC?

I've never seen anything about that.

The Shadow
06-01-2020, 06:18 PM
I know there was a bill introduced in the legislature a couple of years ago, but are you able to legally purchase a new Telsa vehicle in Oklahoma?

maverickbroncho
06-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Technically no, but instead you buy it from California and once the transaction is complete Tesla ships it to a delivery center or direct to the customer. It’s an extra step and inconvenient, but 100% better than any dealer experience. I’ve had mine for 2 years and am excited to get a service center in state, though Oklahoma already has mobile service which is excellent.

I know there was a bill introduced in the legislature a couple of years ago, but are you able to legally purchase a new Telsa vehicle in Oklahoma?

The Shadow
06-01-2020, 06:58 PM
Technically no, but instead you buy it from California and once the transaction is complete Tesla ships it to a delivery center or direct to the customer. It’s an extra step and inconvenient, but 100% better than any dealer experience. I’ve had mine for 2 years and am excited to get a service center in state, though Oklahoma already has mobile service which is excellent.
So you receive a CA title?

maverickbroncho
06-01-2020, 07:21 PM
No, you get a temp sticker with the purchase agreement that basically works like a temporary tag. Held on to that until I registered in OK and never had any issues.

So you receive a CA title?

HangryHippo
06-01-2020, 10:23 PM
Maverick - have you ever charged your Tesla at OnCue (or someplace similar)? Are those chargers free to use? I've googled, but I can't seem to find anything definitive.

maverickbroncho
06-02-2020, 06:10 AM
Some are free (I believe OnCue doesn’t charge), but others will be pay for use. I use the ChargePoint app to find non-Tesla charge stations and use an adapter. The app will give the rate, pics, and reviews. I’ve also found hotels, Hampton in particular, will have free chargers available for customers too.

jccouger
06-03-2020, 10:36 AM
Anybody hearing anything about Elon being in Tulsa today?

jdizzle
06-03-2020, 10:47 AM
Another issue is that OK doesn't allow sales of Tesla's the way Tesla sells them (directly, not through a dealership). With that being pretty much a direct threat to Tesla, that could prove the death knell to Tesla bringing a factory to Tulsa or Oklahoma.

jccouger
06-03-2020, 10:49 AM
Another issue is that OK doesn't allow sales of Tesla's the way Tesla sells them (directly, not through a dealership). With that being pretty much a direct threat to Tesla, that could prove the death knell to Tesla bringing a factory to Tulsa or Oklahoma.

The same is true in Texas.

jdizzle
06-03-2020, 11:06 AM
The same is true in Texas.

Tesla has stores in Texas. They don't here.

PhiAlpha
06-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Check up thread. They’re about to build one in Tulsa.

jccouger
06-03-2020, 11:11 AM

They do not. They have galleries & can not accept orders at them.

Plutonic Panda
06-03-2020, 02:37 PM
Check up thread. They’re about to build one in Tulsa.
I thought that was only a service center, not car sales.

Laramie
06-03-2020, 03:40 PM
What can the Oklahoma legislature do to make changes or do they need to make changes that could tilt the scales in bringing Tesla to Tulsa...

Tulsa rally declares 'there's no better place in America' for Tesla's new factory
By Michael Overall Tulsa World Jun 2, 2020

The rally organizers passed out 250 T-shirts featuring a design from Tulsa World editorial cartoonist Bruce Plante, who depicted the Driller riding in the back of a Tesla pickup like the one that would be built here.

Tulsa World: https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/tulsa-rally-declares-theres-no-better-place-in-america-for-teslas-new-factory/article_59688251-62c9-566c-8827-0b98ce42b841.html

jdizzle
06-03-2020, 04:00 PM
What can the Oklahoma legislature do to make changes or do they need to make changes that could tilt the scales in bringing Tesla to Tulsa...

Tulsa rally declares 'there's no better place in America' for Tesla's new factory
By Michael Overall Tulsa World Jun 2, 2020

Tulsa World: https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/tulsa-rally-declares-theres-no-better-place-in-america-for-teslas-new-factory/article_59688251-62c9-566c-8827-0b98ce42b841.html

Education and QOL factors are heavily in Texas' favor. Oklahoma is in the bottom 5 for both.

Bellaboo
06-03-2020, 06:08 PM
Education and QOL factors are heavily in Texas' favor. Oklahoma is in the bottom 5 for both.

Not so sure about that. Assembly line workers fall right in line with vo-tech , and QOL, you ever driven in any populous in Texas without getting hung up in traffic for hours ?

Bunty
06-03-2020, 06:17 PM

Legislature has at least changed in one way a lot in recent years by not being nearly as anti-LGBT. With revenues down, they can't fund education any more.

Life is how you make it. Just because a state doesn't have a high quality of life doesn't mean you can't make it a good life for yourself.

gopokes88
06-04-2020, 06:35 AM

What a revealing post with a message that no one has ever shared here before

jdizzle
06-04-2020, 06:36 AM
What a revealing post with a message that no one has ever shared here before

Doesn't make it less true.

dcsooner
06-04-2020, 09:46 AM
Doesn't make it less true.

+1
Denial and apathy appear to be a Oklahoma standard for some

Jake
06-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Another dump on Oklahoma thread, nice.

chuck5815
06-04-2020, 10:06 AM
+1

Ah, here we go.

Bunty
06-04-2020, 10:23 AM
+1

But enough voters rejected denial and apathy by voting out a dozen Republican incumbents of the Oklahoma Legislature in 2018. It was quite an awesome political shock to the state.

Bunty
06-04-2020, 10:25 AM

Really. Too early for it. Save it should Tesla not pick Tulsa. If that happens, hopefully something good can come out of it for a better Oklahoma.

Jake
06-04-2020, 10:34 AM
Didn't losing out to Indianapolis for that United Airlines facility help spur MAPS in OKC? If Tulsa doesn't get picked hopefully it'll spur city leaders and civilians to take action to do something similar for Tulsa.

jccouger
06-04-2020, 10:50 AM
please pass this on to all engineering friends

https://www.tulsafortesla.com/?fbclid=IwAR1wg6LhH9goUtdclnO3nulTbga8oMi8v5kfOhb6 L55eUE2Aiej9_bzEIQo

Plutonic Panda
06-04-2020, 08:52 PM
Dude, come on. There are a million threads on this site that cheerlead and cherish Oklahoma with many saying nothing but good things. Every time someone criticizes this state be it constructive or not the usual suspects jump on them.

DC Sooner and others usually post perfectly valid criticisms about the state and I highly doubt it is just to dump on the state. Many like me who often speak harshly about this state do so out of love not hate. It’s frustrating to see it and even more so the see the populous so in denial and quick to silence anyone who sees the grocery list of issues this place has because of the backwards mentality that runs rampant.

mugofbeer
06-04-2020, 10:11 PM
Didn't losing out to Indianapolis for that United Airlines facility help spur MAPS in OKC? If Tulsa doesn't get picked hopefully it'll spur city leaders and civilians to take action to do something similar for Tulsa.

United Airlines, American Airlines, Boeing and Micron Technology

mugofbeer
06-04-2020, 10:19 PM
Dude, come on. There are a million threads on this site that cheerlead and cherish Oklahoma with many saying nothing but good things. Every time someone criticizes this state be it constructive or not the usual suspects jump on them.

DC Sooner and others usually post perfectly valid criticisms about the state and I highly doubt it is just to dump on the state. Many like me who often speak harshly about this state do so out of love not hate. It’s frustrating to see it and even more so the see the populous so in denial and quick to silence anyone who sees the grocery list of issues this place has because of the backwards mentality that runs rampant.

PP, its not that the points aren't valid, its that the same posters post the exact same negative comments over and over and over again. On this thread, something potentially economically fantastic could happen in Tulsa, but it's become almost comically predictable the same posters come out of the shadows to say the same negative things. Everyone's aware of it, already. Maybe try posting something positive and uplifting for once or just stay quiet.