View Full Version : I40 bridges in Del City

Pages : [1] 2

JDSooners
03-03-2020, 06:01 PM
https://okcfox.com/news/local/bridge-project-expected-near-del-city

Heard anymore about these projects and what bridges are in question?

jompster
03-03-2020, 06:24 PM
I know the bridges over Crutcho Creek and SE 15th are included. Must be all of them on that stretch between I-35 and Tinker. They're all rough.

Plutonic Panda
03-03-2020, 06:37 PM
I believe the long term plans of I-40 through Midwest are to widen it to 8 lanes and improve the service roads which could be a one way configuration.

For now they are rehabilitating the pavement and replacing several bridges.

BoulderSooner
03-04-2020, 07:43 AM
I believe the long term plans of I-40 through Midwest are to widen it to 8 lanes and improve the service roads which could be a one way configuration.

For now they are rehabilitating the pavement and replacing several bridges.

i don't believe there is any plan to make I40 east 4 lanes ..

Plutonic Panda
03-04-2020, 07:45 AM
^^^ I saw it in the long term plans on ACOG website.

WitWhy
03-04-2020, 10:41 AM
According to ODOTs 8 year plan, the bridges in question are Crutcho Creek, SE15th, and Sooner. They will not be doing the Sunnylane bridge, less than 1/2 mile from Crutcho Creek, until FY 2026. Why not do all the bridges in that 1 1/4 mile stretch at the same time? Tinker traffic will be snarled down to 2 lanes for much of 20s. Good job ODOT

Plutonic Panda
03-04-2020, 02:03 PM
^^^^ I was responding to someone about this project on another forum to touch on some points you made and it got me thinking about the stretch of I-40 sandwiched in a tight space between Tinker and commercial development. I’ll just copy and past my entire response here:

“ It looks like this stretch of I-40 is going be under construction for the better part of this entire decade. This project will likely take a year or two.

Then Sunnylane and a slew of other projects begin in 2025/26/27 to widen the freeway and redo the bridges. The interchange at I-35 is even due for some capacity upgrades on the 8yr plan. I-35 will be reconstructed from I-40 to I-44 along with its interchange at I-44 being completely reconstructed and reconfigured. Then I-40 will be widened East until the entire corridor is six lanes to Shawnee. So the I-40 expansion currently wrapping up essentially is a kick off to a long series of sporadic construction projects in this area so if you live here good luck.

Many projects are still planned on I-40 west which, I’m sure you know, OkDOT just reconstructed and widened. Still more projects on the way there too with Frisco road interchange to be redone this year.

OkDOT seriously needs a bigger budget as it is incredibly frustrating that it drags all of these projects out over a decade or more. It just means never ending construction on each road.

8 laning I-40 is even on ACOGs long term plan so that could happen in the 2030s or 40s.

PS, the section of I-40 closest to Tinker in between David Stanley is going require either acquisition of land(which is likely off the table) or a very complex widening which I think no such setup exists in Oklahoma. It will likely be partially buried similar to how the service roads are along US-75 in Dallas(central expressway). It will be expensive and isn’t even mentioned on the 8yr plan at all but it will be widened as there is no choice or else it becomes a bad bottleneck in the future. Another option is to bury it using a cut and cover and cap it with a park. I personally am excited for these possibilities as it will be a unique stretch of freeway but I don’t expect anything this decade.

Here is the 8year plan to see exact dates and costs:

https://www.odot.org/cwp-8-year-plan/cwp_ffy2020-ffy2027/8_year_cwp_divisionokc_map.pdf “

Plutonic Panda
03-04-2020, 02:04 PM
PS in case it isn’t clear to anyone where I’m talking about it is this part: Dropped pin
Near Tinker Diag, Oklahoma City, OK 73145
https://goo.gl/maps/wVkiUwtqJxaxNVCR7

I am guessing it probably the most space constrained stretch of road in the metro and it’s only 2 lanes each way.

BoulderSooner
03-05-2020, 08:16 AM
^^^ I saw it in the long term plans on ACOG website.

thanks for this info i found it pretty easy on the ACOG website ..

http://www.acogok.org/transportation-planning/short-and-long-range-planning/long-range-transportation-planning/

http://www.acogok.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Encompass-2040-Street-and-Highway-Map.pdf

Plutonic Panda
03-05-2020, 03:27 PM
I’m not sure how set in stone those plans are or if they align with ODOTs plans. They plan to widen classen through Norman to six lanes which would be nice. Some of these plans are shown here and then after a while pop up on ODOTs plans.

bombermwc
03-11-2020, 06:59 AM
I was thinking similarly for a lot of the MWC section's 8 lane plan. There are some areas where there is SOME wiggle room, but the area near David Stanley, really seems like it can ONLY stack. TInker's not likely to accept any sort of land grab and if they take David Stanley, they have to take the Sheriff's office too, plus U-Haul and a couple other businesses. I'm not sure which would be more expensive, stacking the road or buying up all that land. Probably cheaper to stack the road for that 1/4 mile stretch. Downtown Austin is a good example of how it can work too.

Plutonic Panda
03-11-2020, 07:02 AM
^^^ I’m not sure I’ve you’ve seen but downtown Austin is about to see tunnels of 2-3 levels down which will be a multi billion dollar extremely impressive project when finished. Funding was just found last week for it.

WitWhy
03-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Ooo! I like the 8 lanes on I40 in Del City. Anyone know how to get the plans for the bridges they're about to start working on? It would be nice to see how wide and if they are going to lengthen the bridges so the roads underneath can be widened and upgraded

Laramie
04-07-2020, 05:37 PM
The project is expected to cost between $75 - $80 million.

The six bridges (one is functionally obsolete) that will be replaced are on eastbound and westbound I-40 at Crutcho Creek, SE 15 Street and Sooner Road. The bridge replacement project is expected to take 2½ years to complete; traffic to be narrowed to two lanes in each direction for much of that time. Imagine how that will impact traffic going to and from Tinker AFB.

Not sure about the plans for eight lanes (4 lanes in each direction) but I heard they will redo the bidding process in May 2020 because there was some kind of glitch in the bidding process. Those bridges will probably be widened to include future lane expansion.

OKC Guy
04-07-2020, 05:54 PM
The project is expected to cost between $75 - $80 million.

The six bridges (one is functionally obsolete) that will be replaced are on eastbound and westbound I-40 at Crutcho Creek, SE 15 Street and Sooner Road. The bridge replacement project is expected to take 2½ years to complete; traffic to be narrowed to two lanes in each direction for much of that time. Imagine how that will impact traffic going to and from Tinker AFB.

Not sure about the plans for eight lanes (4 lanes in each direction) but I heard they will redo the bidding process in May 2020 because there was some kind of glitch in the bidding process. Those bridges will probably be widened to include future lane expansion.

Problem is I40 going east narrows from 3 to 2 lanes as soon as you get to first Tinker entrance at Air Depot

BoulderSooner
04-08-2020, 07:44 AM
Problem is I40 going east narrows from 3 to 2 lanes as soon as you get to first Tinker entrance at Air Depot

it narrows at town center drive east of air depot

bombermwc
04-13-2020, 07:01 AM
Looks like they did some repaving, although given they're about to tear down some bridges, that seems kind of dumb????

HangryHippo
04-13-2020, 10:04 AM
Looks like they did some repaving, although given they're about to tear down some bridges, that seems kind of dumb????
Very, but it's ODOT. Did you expect something different?

jdizzle
04-13-2020, 10:08 AM
Very, but it's ODOT. Did you expect something different?

Eh, aren't these bridges not being worked on for a while?

HangryHippo
04-13-2020, 11:09 AM
I don't recall. I know someone posted the projects were having to be rebid, so you're probably right. But why would you do it before you fix the bridges when you know that's coming?

jdizzle
04-13-2020, 11:15 AM
I don't recall. I know someone posted the projects were having to be rebid, so you're probably right. But why would you do it before you fix the bridges when you know that's coming?

Repaving is fairly cheap, I think. And those bridges needed the repaving, even if they are going to be redone. I drive them daily. And it sucks.

Plutonic Panda
04-13-2020, 01:40 PM
Which ones? The ones in the middle of Del and Midwest Cities? I thought those were starting this summer or sooner...

jdizzle
04-13-2020, 02:37 PM
Which ones? The ones in the middle of Del and Midwest Cities? I thought those were starting this summer or sooner...

They are also having to redo the bidding process, because reasons. So who knows anymore.

Plutonic Panda
04-13-2020, 02:53 PM
They are also having to redo the bidding process, because reasons. So who knows anymore.
Ah I didn’t realize that.

On a side note I drove the new expanded I-40 in East OK county and it’s coming along very nicely. It will be awesome to have a modernized and expanded I-40 from I-35 to Shawnee. The more lanes the better and next up I-240 is increasingly becoming crowded from what I’ve gathered.

Plutonic Panda
04-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Here is some info I found:

About the I-40 Bridge Reconstruction at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd.

Six new bridges and approaches are planned on eastbound and westbound I-40 at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. in Del City.

This is an estimated $82 million combined project tentatively scheduled to award in April by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission.

The project is estimated to take nearly 2.5 years to complete and traffic will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction for much of that time.

The bridges will be widened to accommodate a fourth lane in each direction. The new bridges also will be close to 17 feet in height, bringing them to modern bridge standards.

This project addresses the worst known structurally deficient bridges on the state system in the Oklahoma City metro area.They have monopolized ODOT’s Oklahoma City metro maintenance resources due to poor conditions and ongoing significant repair needs.

- https://www.ok.gov/odot/I-40_Del_City_bridges.html

Scott5114
04-13-2020, 03:52 PM
I-240 is increasingly becoming crowded from what I’ve gathered.

I-240 west of I-35 needs a complete reconstruction. Should probably add lanes while they're at it, but the biggest problem is off ramps and on ramps too close to each other. Since I-240 already has Texas-style frontage roads, they could easily adopt some of Texas's strategies for similar freeways.

Plutonic Panda
04-13-2020, 10:14 PM
I-240 west of I-35 needs a complete reconstruction. Should probably add lanes while they're at it, but the biggest problem is off ramps and on ramps too close to each other. Since I-240 already has Texas-style frontage roads, they could easily adopt some of Texas's strategies for similar freeways.
I would only wish Oklahoma would follow Texas more than not.

WitWhy
04-14-2020, 02:52 PM
Here is some info I found:

- https://www.ok.gov/odot/I-40_Del_City_bridges.html

that brings it in line with the ACOG site showing 8 lanes... cool.

Plutonic Panda
04-14-2020, 02:55 PM
that brings it in line with the ACOG site showing 8 lanes... cool.
Yeap. I was pretty happy to read this from OkDOT as well. Now if they can just get an infrastructure stimulus passed, a swift(ish) recovery from the economic damage from COVID, and Stitt really getting serious about Oklahoma being a top ten stage which would require more infrastructure investment from the state itself then maybe we could really see expedited projects and a really nice system coming along by 2030.

WitWhy
08-26-2020, 07:35 PM
Looking like this project is about to get started. I saw a sign mentioning work starting Sept 8. Traffic is going to be a nightmare for the next decade on this stretch of road.

edit: here is updated info about the project from ODOT
https://www.ok.gov/odot/I-40_Del_City_bridges.html

Plutonic Panda
08-27-2020, 01:24 AM
The next decade.... there are projects 10 times this size in scope that other states can complete in a decade.

BoulderSooner
08-27-2020, 06:51 AM
The next decade.... there are projects 10 times this size in scope that other states can complete in a decade.

2.5 years

Plutonic Panda
08-27-2020, 07:27 AM
2.5 years
Ah, I was referring to the poster above that said he saw signs saying 10 years. I know OkDOT plans to widen this freeway to 8 lanes but it isn’t in the 8 year plan, IIRC.

WitWhy
08-27-2020, 01:13 PM
yes, this project is 2.5 years for 3 crossings ("6" bridges), then once this project is done, they'll work on Sunnylane and Scott St, then they'll have to do Hudiburg Dr, then they'll actually have to widen to 8 lanes. I'm implying the next decade because ODOT can't do things at the same time in a relatively small area

Plutonic Panda
08-27-2020, 04:47 PM
Right and that is my issue with ODOT. They need to be better funded and the overly conservative nature of the state is to blame for that.

TheTravellers
08-27-2020, 04:52 PM
Right and that is my issue with ODOT. They need to be better funded and the overly conservative nature of the state is to blame for that.

I wonder if a study has ever been done to see if their no-borrowing policy has actually saved them money (because they don't pay interest) or increased costs (because labor and material costs almost never go down, they go up). Seems like such a study should be done, if it hasn't already.

Plutonic Panda
08-27-2020, 05:28 PM
I wonder if a study has ever been done to see if their no-borrowing policy has actually saved them money (because they don't pay interest) or increased costs (because labor and material costs almost never go down, they go up). Seems like such a study should be done, if it hasn't already.
+1 and I think many people would be surprised.

bombermwc
08-28-2020, 06:54 AM
I understand what you're saying, but i dont think the logic holds.

Bonds typically are not super long. It's an easy check. What's the current rate of inflation? Is that amount larger than what the STATE would pay for a loan rate? I've yet to see those run in such a way that the term of the bond would cause the lobor inflation to rise faster than the interest amount. And that labor increase also increases the loan cost, thus the amount of interest paid.

We have to wait a little longer, but no i dont think that it is costing us money by waiting. Now if we have a 20 year bond for something...yeah, it would cheaper to do a loan (IF the loan market is favorable). You have to balance the term length of the bond to see what the rates are between the formula. It all ties to that bond term.

TheTravellers
08-28-2020, 07:56 AM

Bonds typically are not super long. It's an easy check. What's the current rate of inflation? Is that amount larger than what the STATE would pay for a loan rate? I've yet to see those run in such a way that the term of the bond would cause the lobor inflation to rise faster than the interest amount. And that labor increase also increases the loan cost, thus the amount of interest paid.

We have to wait a little longer, but no i dont think that it is costing us money by waiting. Now if we have a 20 year bond for something...yeah, it would cheaper to do a loan (IF the loan market is favorable). You have to balance the term length of the bond to see what the rates are between the formula. It all ties to that bond term.

Good points, thanks, figured someone more knowledgeable than me would jump in. However, construction material costs also have to be considered - do those fluctuate much or go up comparable to the labor rate or ....?

Plutonic Panda
08-28-2020, 09:50 AM

Good points but keep in mind that lost time and productivity due to neglected infrastructure need to be factored in.

Buffalo Bill
08-28-2020, 10:02 AM

ODOT has borrowed money in the past, at least since the 90’s or early aughts. GARVEE bonds and others. There is no no-borrowing policy.

Google “okladot” and “debt service”.

TheTravellers
08-28-2020, 10:16 AM
ODOT has borrowed money in the past, at least since the 90’s or early aughts. GARVEE bonds and others. There is no no-borrowing policy.

Google “okladot” and “debt service”.

Wasn't there a no-borrowing policy in the past at some point, though?

Buffalo Bill
08-28-2020, 01:26 PM
Wasn't there a no-borrowing policy in the past at some point, though?

GARVEE came out in the mid to late 90’s. ODOT participated in that. Prior to that they probably didn’t borrow to pay for projects because they had no stable funding mechanism for the projects they had, much less to go into debt to fund future projects. Think of it as someone with a $40,000/ year salary trying to buy a half million dollar home.

Most recently ODOT did a TIFIA loan to help finance construction of the Gilcrease Turnpike.

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/post/state-supreme-court-approves-oklahoma-turnpike-authority-bond-issue-gilcrease-expressway

TheTravellers
08-28-2020, 01:56 PM
GARVEE came out in the mid to late 90’s. ODOT participated in that. Prior to that they probably didn’t borrow to pay for projects because they had no stable funding mechanism for the projects they had, much less to go into debt to fund future projects. Think of it as someone with a $40,000/ year salary trying to buy a half million dollar home.

Most recently ODOT did a TIFIA loan to help finance construction of the Gilcrease Turnpike.

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/post/state-supreme-court-approves-oklahoma-turnpike-authority-bond-issue-gilcrease-expressway

OK, thanks, knew OTA could do bonds and borrow, didn't know about OKDOT.

DCARS
08-29-2020, 01:36 PM
There is no plans to go to 8 lanes. ACOG has no connection to ODOT whatsoever. They are a group comprised of representatives from neighboring cities that put together their recommendations but there is no requirement to take those recommendations. The Douglas portion will also involve removing the bridge to nowhere that use to go into a neighborhood on the NE side of Tinker. That portion will widen I-40 to six lanes out to the I-240 split.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe 8 lanes will be in the future, probably beyond my lifetime but eventually it probably will.

Plutonic Panda
08-29-2020, 01:44 PM
^^ you have zero clue what you’re talking about

WitWhy
08-31-2020, 05:18 PM
There is no plans to go to 8 lanes. ACOG has no connection to ODOT whatsoever. They are a group comprised of representatives from neighboring cities that put together their recommendations but there is no requirement to take those recommendations. The Douglas portion will also involve removing the bridge to nowhere that use to go into a neighborhood on the NE side of Tinker. That portion will widen I-40 to six lanes out to the I-240 split.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe 8 lanes will be in the future, probably beyond my lifetime but eventually it probably will.

Directly from ODOT, "The bridges will be widened to accommodate a fourth lane in each direction and built taller to bring them to modern bridge standards."
https://www.ok.gov/odot/I-40_Del_City_bridges.html

It might not be on the 8 year plan but ODOT is certainly planning for it.

Scott5114
09-01-2020, 12:00 PM
Good points, thanks, figured someone more knowledgeable than me would jump in. However, construction material costs also have to be considered - do those fluctuate much or go up comparable to the labor rate or ....?

Over the last couple of decades or so, construction materials cost in general has increased above the rate of inflation. The exact amount differs depending on what materials are being used, of course. Asphalt has oil in it, so its price will fluctuate with the price of oil.

WitWhy
09-22-2020, 02:59 PM
they're certainly making progress with all demo work on the eastbound side. i wish they'd work 24/7 so it wouldn't take 2 1/2 years

WitWhy
11-23-2020, 07:07 PM
It looks like they're going to widen this section of I-40 to support 8 lanes in the future. They're doing a lot of dirt work and laying new concrete between the bridges on the far outside next to the frontage road. Pete, maybe we could get some aerial photos?

DCARS
11-28-2020, 06:10 PM
^^ you have zero clue what you’re talking about

I guess you were right. That is great.

Plutonic Panda
11-29-2020, 03:44 AM
I guess you were right. That is great.
I should have worded my post a little nicer but you made several incorrect statements. When it comes to ACOG I don’t know how close their relationship is to OkDOT but most certainly do work together on some level.

Anyways, unless I’m misunderstood, there will not be a fourth lane added for some time only that the freeway is being built to accommodate one down the line.

BoulderSooner
11-30-2020, 08:43 AM
new odot 8year plan is out

I-40: EB & WB BRIDGES OVER SUNNYLANE
JP# 2984604 FFY 2026 BRIDGE & APPROACHES $ 14,000,000
JP# 2984605 FFY 2023 RIGHT OF WAY $ 545,000
JP# 2984606 FFY 2023 UTILITIES $ 545,000
$ 15,090,000

I-40: SCOTT STREET OVER EB & WB I-40
JP# 2914304 FFY 2026 BRIDGE & APPROACHES $ 1,945,000

BoulderSooner
12-09-2020, 12:27 PM
new odot 8year plan is out

I-40: EB & WB BRIDGES OVER SUNNYLANE
JP# 2984604 FFY 2026 BRIDGE & APPROACHES $ 14,000,000
JP# 2984605 FFY 2023 RIGHT OF WAY $ 545,000
JP# 2984606 FFY 2023 UTILITIES $ 545,000
$ 15,090,000

I-40: SCOTT STREET OVER EB & WB I-40
JP# 2914304 FFY 2026 BRIDGE & APPROACHES $ 1,945,000

my apologies this was from the old 8 year plan

updates from the just released plan

scott street moved back to 2028

I-40: SCOTT STREET OVER EB & WB I-40 1.1 MIS. E. OF I-35
JP# 2914304 FFY 2028 BRIDGE & APPROACHES $ 1,945,000
JP# 2914307 FFY 2024 RIGHT OF WAY $ 109,000
JP# 2914308 FFY 2024 UTILITIES $ 109,000
$ 2,163,000

Sunnylane remains in 2026

WitWhy
12-09-2020, 06:47 PM
see, like I said, a decade of construction... and there's no mention of the Hudiburg Dr bridge. 8 lanes won't squeeze under it

BoulderSooner
12-10-2020, 06:31 AM
see, like I said, a decade of construction... and there's no mention of the Hudiburg Dr bridge. 8 lanes won't squeeze under it

this project is not moving I40 to 8 lanes ........ they are making sure the new bridges support a possible future move to 8 lanes

bombermwc
12-10-2020, 06:37 AM
There would be quite a bit of right-of-way purchasing to make this 8 lanes. It will probably be needed before too long, but that's a whole other nasty project that will take forever. And many more bridges.

bombermwc
12-31-2020, 07:29 AM
Anyone else noticed how far back the anchor sections are compared to today? You could fit a whole other 2 land road under there! And for some reason at 15th, they decided to put a pillar in the middle of the road?! I'm curious what the final plans are here because it at least appears they are doing more than just replacing a bridge with a wider version of itself. Since there are two ways streets there, i'm not sure how they would add U-Turn lanes unless MWC/DC allow them to convert to one-way.

Plutonic Panda
12-31-2020, 11:25 AM
Pete, whenever you get a chance could you make out there with some drone shots?

Plutonic Panda
05-22-2021, 06:30 PM
“ Southeast 15th at I-40 in Del City to close temporarily for construction work”

https://kfor.com/news/local/southeast-15th-at-i-40-in-del-city-to-close-temporarily-for-construction-work/