View Full Version : University North Park

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

oudirtypop
03-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Its going directly to the south of kohls

jbrown84
03-31-2009, 02:18 PM
I hear Dick's will make an appearance in Oklahoma in 2010 or 11.

I believe they are set to open in the Memorial & Western development.

Jesseda
06-16-2009, 07:40 AM
anything new announced yet?

Dekoung
07-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I can't find it now but read an article in either Norman paper or Oklahoman that a man who has opened a high end hair salon in UNP is very disappointed that a couple of cheapy shops have recently gone in near him. I have not been in them but have driven by and they are no great addition to UNP.

oneforone
07-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I can't find it now but read an article in either Norman paper or Oklahoman that a man who has opened a high end hair salon in UNP is very disappointed that a couple of cheapy shops have recently gone in near him. I have not been in them but have driven by and they are no great addition to UNP.

Why does that really matter? Not everybody likes to pay a fortune for a haircut. I hate to be the break the news to you but, upscale goes out the window when Target is your anchor and the mile of cars is your neighbor to the south.

Chase
07-12-2009, 06:57 PM
It is hard to justify Upscale in a college town. Stores like Target do great but Nordstroms would probably lose money on a deal in Norman.

bbhill
07-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Are we talking about Scott Risk's hair studio? LOL Somehow I don't think that they studied the demographics of Norman very well before they took the plunge from Vegas. . . Nothing against the studio--I've never been there, because I'm not into paying $40 for a mens hair cut.

Soonerman
07-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I wonder when Academy is supposed to open?

Jesseda
07-13-2009, 09:06 AM
ha ha upscale thats funny, petco, hallmark, kohls, target.. to me this just seems like a regular shopping strip mall, i cant beleive there nothing even getting close to good, at least add a jcpennies to the mix or somthing...

Chase
07-13-2009, 09:11 AM
With the move of JCP south to Moore, it will probably be a few years before they would open a store in Norman. It is too close to their new store. UNP would probably be better if a mall did not already exist in Norman. These stores are have a lease and when their lease is up, they might consider the move to UNP. However, that leaves a vacancy at the mall.

BG918
07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
With the move of JCP south to Moore, it will probably be a few years before they would open a store in Norman. It is too close to their new store. UNP would probably be better if a mall did not already exist in Norman. These stores are have a lease and when their lease is up, they might consider the move to UNP. However, that leaves a vacancy at the mall.

I would imagine the stores already in the mall are staying there and that the upscale portion of UNP never happens. If anything they will start building houses and apartments on the land north of Rock Creek up to Tecumseh. I could see that location being popular for people that want to be close to Target and the other stores/restaurants in UNP but also have direct access to I-35, especially those that live in Norman and commute to OKC. The few upscale stores that locate in Norman will go in Campus Corner.

Chicken In The Rough
07-17-2009, 02:26 PM
"...ha ha upscale thats funny, petco, hallmark, kohls, target..."

UNP is upscale just as Belle Isle Station is upscale. Developers and civic officials have learned to throw that term around in order to get people to agree to allow its construction. I don't trust the lot of them anymore.

kevinpate
07-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Based merely on observation of JCP-Sooner traffic levels, there wouldn't seem to be any great need for them to relocate to UNP. It will be interesting to see it develop, and observe whether the further infill is mostly new shops in town, or others relocating to be closer to the NW quad neighborhoods

jbrown84
07-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't think Belle Isle Station ever claimed to be upscale. It has a Wal-Mart for goodness sake.

Dekoung
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Why does that really matter? Not everybody likes to pay a fortune for a haircut. I hate to be the break the news to you but, upscale goes out the window when Target is your anchor and the mile of cars is your neighbor to the south.

No need to be a wise guy. You don't need to break anything to me. If you are familiar with the UNP vision it was to have upscale shops and Life Style Center to east of big box stores. Names like Nordstrom's , Saks, Williams Sonoma etc were bandied about. In the kind of development UNP was envisioned to be, the middle range stores like Target would anchor one area and then a higher end store the upscale area. If you go to Dallas you can see this very kind of development.

I agree the hair salon guy's demographics are faulty.

Jesseda
07-23-2009, 09:58 AM
i thought belks was coming to unp what happen? plus a heath market?

progressiveboy
07-23-2009, 10:10 AM
i thought belks was coming to unp what happen? plus a heath market? Belks is nothing to write home about. Very bland clothing line and merchandise is very "average" IMHO. One store that comes to mind that is moderate priced and is not your average run of the mill store is Cost Plus Market. This would be a good fit for the time being until all those other upscale retailers decide to come to UNP. It is going to take patience as the economy has really tanked so lots of slow progress.

king183
08-14-2009, 10:59 AM
It's really interesting to re-read the posts and articles from the beginning of the thread and compare what we were promised when this project first started and what we're getting now. Upscale. High End Hotels (there's 1). New Urbanist. Upscale residential. Etc. Instead, it's bland, typical stores that offer very little that we didn't already have.

It's getting harder to tell the difference between strip-mall Moore and Norman these days.

jbrown84
08-14-2009, 02:36 PM
I do think the architecture is a huge step up from 90% of OKC strip centers. But yes, the selection of stores is nothing special at all.

blangtang
08-15-2009, 01:15 AM
I do think the architecture is a huge step up from 90% of OKC strip centers. But yes, the selection of stores is nothing special at all.

the architecture seems to be strip-mall-clap-with-bricks, somewhat. like halfway up the buildings, with the tops and backs sporting the generic tan fake stucco styrofoam.

bah.

definitely worthy of development incentives.

bah

venture
08-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Naturally it would be been better to just maintain an empty field there and not allow any new development and job creation (at any level) in that part of town.

kevinpate
08-18-2009, 05:01 AM
Used to enjoy it when it was a twisting lane through empty fields. Up near Tecumseh it was dark enough to enjoy stars without needing to go further out. Not that further out is bad, just that sometimes the time gets limited and a quick star gaze works well enough.

mugofbeer
08-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I just hope in the rush to get all the property tax revenue from University Park North, the City of Norman hasn't killed off Sooner Fashion Mall.

BG918
08-19-2009, 08:24 AM
I just hope in the rush to get all the property tax revenue from University Park North, the City of Norman hasn't killed off Sooner Fashion Mall.

I doubt that happens. There will always be a place for Dillard's and the other stores at Sooner Mall.

I'd rather see commercial businesses that need airport frontage go up on the east side of 24th north of Robinson to the Embassy Suites and then mixed residential with apts. and houses north of Rock Creek. Keep UNP as the big box shopping center it is mixed with some restaurants and smaller stores, and the Embassy Suites. Keep Sooner Mall's tenants there and bring the few 'upscale' businesses that would locate in Norman like Williams & Sonoma, Banana Republic, etc. to Campus Corner. Win win for all parts of Norman.

Dekoung
08-30-2009, 08:43 PM
918, IMO you are dreaming about Williams Sonoma and Banana Republic coming to any place in Norman. If WS should come it won't be CC but UNP although I doubt the demographics justify even that. JMHO However the CEO of WS is an OU grad so who knows?

okyeah
08-31-2009, 01:59 AM
Banana Republic will never open a store on campus corner...campus corner will always be filled with kitschy boutiques like Savvy and Violet Ave.

RedDirt717
08-31-2009, 08:30 AM
The mountain is gone. :(

This place is going to get nailed by a tornado for disturbing the Indians.

kevinpate
08-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Nah, we left Moore pretty much intact. It's bad for them, but for Norman, it's somewhat comforting to know that Tornados prefer Morons to Normads at a gajillion to one ratio.

Jesseda
09-10-2009, 10:12 AM
moore has been cursed when they tore up sacred indian land along a small creek to buildt homes in the 70s, which is now called east hills, and silverleaf addition, but i think now norman is going be be cursed with tornados for tearing down king kongs final resting place (the mountain-hill)

Soonerman
09-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Academy is supposed to open up October 23rd according to thier website.

oneforone
09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
moore has been cursed when they tore up sacred indian land along a small creek to buildt homes in the 70s, which is now called east hills, and silverleaf addition, but i think now norman is going be be cursed with tornados for tearing down king kongs final resting place (the mountain-hill)

The hill was man made. It was the remaining piece of the firing range berm made to absorb bullets and other projectiles. It was left over from the old Naval Air Station that consisted of what is now Westheimer Airpark.

Jesseda
09-11-2009, 11:05 AM
you mean to tell the the story about king kong being buried there is false!!!!! my dad lied to me :(

lonestarstatesux
09-22-2009, 03:14 PM

Also, on the Moore note, I grew up in Silverleaf, and that place has been tornado free as far as I can remember. West of the interstate on Janeway on the other hand...

Jesseda
09-23-2009, 11:31 AM
maybe because it is sacred inian land even if it has been torn up, who knows, all i know is i lived in east hills along the creek, and my neighbor which lived in east hills since being built told me that story, that the developer unearthed some old indian items along the creek when building

Jennifer1334
09-27-2009, 04:36 PM
OK, so here's a thought. how about a whole foods store in Norman???

BG918
10-01-2009, 03:02 AM
OK, so here's a thought. how about a whole foods store in Norman???

If OKC with over 500,000 people can't seem to land one I don't have high hopes for Norman until that happens. I do think it would be a perfect fit in Norman, though not in UNP. Norman needs another large grocery store option besides Homeland and Wal-Mart/Target.

Jesseda
10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I would enjoy a whole foods store, is the new crest in south okc and may area going to a whole foods market? well i hope one comes out to the south okc,moore-norman area soon, I thought there was plans for the unp to get one?

Jesseda
03-24-2010, 08:23 PM
so whats the deal with this.. any more news or store that have opened in the past 6 months? i thought this thing was going to be huge, what happened

dirtrider73068
03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Yea there has been a couple places, academy outdoors, logans, chedders, to name a couple.

pearlbluevtx
03-25-2010, 10:13 AM
honestly, I think the economy happened. It's just hard to make any deals or has been hard over the last 2 years - some stuff is breaking free now from what I hear (even in other segments like energy are popping a bit more right now). But, I also think they oversold what they could bring/deliver when they started this deal too... but in 2-8 yrs, it might end up having more of the stuff that they had talked about. Time will tell...

so whats the deal with this.. any more news or store that have opened in the past 6 months? i thought this thing was going to be huge, what happened

gman11695
08-16-2016, 01:52 PM
There were a lot of threads going around called "University North Park," but I saw this had the most discussion, so I will just post on this one:

There is a crane out on UNP putting up what appears to be a parking garage just north of Rock Creek, along with steel for an office building?

They are also working on an office building on the north end of the development on 24th and Tecumseh, and the building (the name of the company that will occupy it escapes me) has come along nicely too.

A lot of activity has picked up here and will be interesting to watch. Would love to see this thread get more active with the potentials of this place!

Roger S
08-16-2016, 01:55 PM
There were a lot of threads going around called "University North Park," but I saw this had the most discussion, so I will just post on this one:

Pete renamed the thread with the most current discussion to University Town Center.