View Full Version : I-44/35/MLK exchange area lane closures

Pages : [1] 2

Swalell1960
09-04-2019, 04:18 PM
So for what part of the overall project are the lanes being narrowed and shuffled?

Plutonic Panda
09-04-2019, 04:25 PM
So for what part of the overall project are the lanes being narrowed and shuffled?

This entire interchange will be redesigned and reconstructed. The ramps and movements will be moved to the right side of the freeway, I-44 expanded to 8 lanes from I-35 to MLK, all ramps expanded to 2 lanes, and several bridges reconstructed. Next up will be a widening of I-35 to six lanes between I-44 and I-40.

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=32930&p=954464#post954464

OkDOT for whatever reason doesn't have it listed under a major project other than the map that shows the current phase being built. I know the lanes you speak(I-35NB to I-44 WB) and one being closed. This is OkDOT's explanation.

I-35 off-ramp to I-44 closes; I-35, I-44 lanes narrow Wednesday night
The following closures will affect traffic from 7 p.m. Wednesday to 6 a.m. Thursday for barrier wall placement in preparation for an upcoming bridge rehabilitation project:

"The northbound I-35 off-ramp to westbound I-44 will be closed (mm 133);
The right lane of southbound I-35 will be closed between Wilshire Blvd. (mm 134) and I-44 (mm 133); and
East and westbound I-44 will be narrowed to one lane in each direction between I-35 and M. L. King Ave. (mm 129).
Beginning Thursday morning, east and westbound I-44 will remain narrowed to two lanes and the right lane of southbound I-35 at Wilshire Blvd. will be closed for an on-going bridge rehabilitation project on the M.L. King Ave. bridge through October. This project is adjacent to the I-235/I-44 interchange reconstruction and I-35 bridge reconstruction south of I-44 at Deep Fork Creek. Drivers should locate an alternate route or expect significant delays."

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=54040

Swalell1960
09-04-2019, 05:56 PM
This entire interchange will be redesigned and reconstructed. The ramps and movements will be moved to the right side of the freeway, I-44 expanded to 8 lanes from I-35 to MLK, all ramps expanded to 2 lanes, and several bridges reconstructed. Next up will be a widening of I-35 to six lanes between I-44 and I-40.

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=32930&p=954464#post954464

OkDOT for whatever reason doesn't have it listed under a major project other than the map that shows the current phase being built. I know the lanes you speak(I-35NB to I-44 WB) and one being closed. This is OkDOT's explanation.

I-35 off-ramp to I-44 closes; I-35, I-44 lanes narrow Wednesday night
The following closures will affect traffic from 7 p.m. Wednesday to 6 a.m. Thursday for barrier wall placement in preparation for an upcoming bridge rehabilitation project:

"The northbound I-35 off-ramp to westbound I-44 will be closed (mm 133);
The right lane of southbound I-35 will be closed between Wilshire Blvd. (mm 134) and I-44 (mm 133); and
East and westbound I-44 will be narrowed to one lane in each direction between I-35 and M. L. King Ave. (mm 129).
Beginning Thursday morning, east and westbound I-44 will remain narrowed to two lanes and the right lane of southbound I-35 at Wilshire Blvd. will be closed for an on-going bridge rehabilitation project on the M.L. King Ave. bridge through October. This project is adjacent to the I-235/I-44 interchange reconstruction and I-35 bridge reconstruction south of I-44 at Deep Fork Creek. Drivers should locate an alternate route or expect significant delays."

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=54040

Wow, that's more extensive than I thought it would be! So new flyovers for the transition of EB 44 to the NB 35/44 combined stretch.

Plutonic Panda
09-04-2019, 06:10 PM
^^^ this first phase you see now is schedule to wrap up in 2020-21... I am not sure when the next phases will begin. I think OkDOT will release the new 8yr plan soon if not the next couple days and we should know more when the other phases will start.

jn1780
09-05-2019, 07:29 AM
I don't see the deep fork bridge rebuild being done until late 2021. The southbound side has been construction for over a year now with at least a month or two left to go on that side.

bombermwc
09-05-2019, 08:26 AM
So we can spend money up on the north side again and still not get moving on 240/35 huh.

I mean at least the 240 one is in the plan, but this particular junction seems like it wasn't the best choice of places to start a whole new 8 year plan project. They'd get way more bang for their buck re-doing the bridge over Portland on I-40 to fix that bottleneck. 35/44 has a lot of cars, but it doesnt come to a stop like other areas.

jn1780
09-05-2019, 11:10 AM
So we can spend money up on the north side again and still not get moving on 240/35 huh.

I mean at least the 240 one is in the plan, but this particular junction seems like it wasn't the best choice of places to start a whole new 8 year plan project. They'd get way more bang for their buck re-doing the bridge over Portland on I-40 to fix that bottleneck. 35/44 has a lot of cars, but it doesnt come to a stop like other areas.

The Portland bridge replacement is coming up fairly soon along with 240 interchange project. I don't even know where the I-44/35 interchange is on the eight year plan it might be on the tail end of it. Obviously, the current I-35 bridge replacement project was high up there on the priority list because of ODOT's commitment to replace OK bridges.

In regards to perceived favored treatment toward the north side, I seem to recall a lot of money being spent down in Norman for two single point interchanges and the highway 9 interchange. Maybe if the federal government wouldn't have given money for the Blvd, we could have used that money for other projects both sides of town would be better off, but that's a topic for different thread.

Plutonic Panda
09-05-2019, 12:33 PM
I don't see the deep fork bridge rebuild being done until late 2021. The southbound side has been construction for over a year now with at least a month or two left to go on that side.
Whenever I pass I rarely see more than five guys working there at a time. Perhaps there are more and I can't see them. This project does seem to be dragging on.

Pete
10-07-2019, 02:04 PM
Construction has started on I-35 south of I-44 and it's created yet another Death Race 2000 merger nightmare.

This time it's when you are transitioning from I-44 east to I-35 south...

Like when you are trying to go south on I-235 from 63rd, there is virtually no merger lane. You just get dumped straight into interstate traffic and there is really no way to look behind to check for on-coming traffic.

This is even worse because it's an interstate-to-interstate connection.

I'm sure it's cheap and fast to do it this way but I simply can't believe they allow this incredibly dangerous traffic condition.

vaflyer
10-12-2019, 11:28 AM
A $37.9 million project to rebuild the I-35 bridges over 63rd Street which will include the reconfiguration of the I-35/I-44 interchange to accommodate the bridges will be let in March 2022.

MagzOK
10-16-2019, 07:30 AM
Construction has started on I-35 south of I-44 and it's created yet another Death Race 2000 merger nightmare.

Like when you are trying to go south on I-235 from 63rd, there is virtually no merger lane. You just get dumped straight into interstate traffic and there is really no way to look behind to check for on-coming traffic.

I'm sure it's cheap and fast to do it this way but I simply can't believe they allow this incredibly dangerous traffic condition.

People need to slow down in construction zones and drop their devices.

WitWhy
10-16-2019, 06:14 PM

It has been that way for over a year now. I stay out of the right lane when going south. Too many close calls.
I just can't believe they're not working on this thing 24/7. Why does ODOT allow these contractors to just sit there doing nothing for weeks?

Scott5114
10-16-2019, 06:33 PM

This happens so often with ODOT work zones that I wonder what your guys might find if they start poking around ODOT. If you look at the output of the sign shop, you can find some laughably slipshod work (like the specimen below that stood for over 10 years before being replaced). I wouldn't be surprised if that work ethic extends to other, more safety-critical departments and programs within the department.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7c/US_69_Craig_Co.jpg/800px-US_69_Craig_Co.jpg

People need to slow down in construction zones and drop their devices.
Statements like this just allow ODOT to shirk their inherent responsibility for providing safe road design. You don't see merge areas like this in other states' work zones. It's like a doctor getting caught practicing without a license and saying their patients just need to lose weight and exercise more.

snark0leptic
10-18-2019, 07:56 AM
It has been that way for over a year now. I stay out of the right lane when going south. Too many close calls.
I just can't believe they're not working on this thing 24/7. Why does ODOT allow these contractors to just sit there doing nothing for weeks?

As an I44E to I35S fellow member of Death Race 2019-2020-20XX, I thank you for avoiding that lane, there are many overly cautious people merging on to 35 and that can back up the on-ramp real quick and is a nightmare to get everyone back up and flowing again. I normally hit that ramp around 50mph and adjust from there, but have definitely had to slot in between some semis a few times or brake hard at the last minute because someone wouldn't move over.

BoulderSooner
12-09-2019, 06:47 AM
I35 southbound has now been shifted to the new lanes just south of I44 interchange

snark0leptic
12-09-2019, 07:26 AM
Ah but you forgot the most exciting part, there's actually sort of a real merge lane now, I'm very curious to see how it looks for the afternoon commute since southbound always looks a mess when I pass.

Pete
12-09-2019, 08:45 AM
I'll get out there and take a drone shot this week.

Always hard to figure out exactly what is happening without a birdseye perspective.

catch22
12-09-2019, 09:29 AM
I'll get out there and take a drone shot this week.

Always hard to figure out exactly what is happening without a birdseye perspective.

I wish i had your drone. They are rebuilding I-25 between Colorado Springs and Castle Rock (south of Denver). It is an absolute nightmare of a drive; but i am fascinated by construction and would love to see some aerial shots.

Pete
12-09-2019, 10:30 AM
I have always been fascinated by maps and aerials.

Long before being purchased by Google Earth, there was Keyhole and I happily paid for a subscription so I could look at aerials all over the world. Before that, I was obsessed by this big, bound world atlas my dad had purchased when I was kid.

Now, I take my drone out at least once a week. It's the perfect invention for me and came right after I moved back here. A perfect storm.

catch22
12-09-2019, 11:27 AM
I have always been fascinated by maps and aerials.

Long before being purchased by Google Earth, there was Keyhole and I happily paid for a subscription so I could look at aerials all over the world. Before that, I was obsessed by this big, bound world atlas my dad had purchased when I was kid.

Now, I take my drone out at least once a week. It's the perfect invention for me and came right after I moved back here. A perfect storm.

I am very similar. When I'm bored I will just start exploring Google Earth. I might need to invest in a drone one day.

jn1780
12-09-2019, 11:27 AM
Yay! They actually got one side done. So I guess another year and a half for the other side?

Pete
12-09-2019, 11:29 AM
I am very similar. When I'm bored I will just start exploring Google Earth. I might need to invest in a drone one day.

You can find slightly used versions for a very reasonable price.

Like every other piece of electronics, there are people who have to have the latest/greatest even if the improvements are relatively minor.

Pete
12-20-2019, 06:19 AM
I took these in the late afternoon and traffic on I-35 was backed up from this intersection all the way back to I-40.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/3544121819a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/3544121819b.jpg

snark0leptic
12-20-2019, 08:12 AM
On the morning commute today it looked like the northbound traffic had been realigned to jog over to the other half of the bridge an on to the newly paved stretch before the 44 off-ramp.

BoulderSooner
12-20-2019, 09:40 AM
On the morning commute today it looked like the northbound traffic had been realigned to jog over to the other half of the bridge an on to the newly paved stretch before the 44 off-ramp.

i noticed the same thing

Pete
12-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Hopefully, that has alleviated a lot of the northbound backup. It was atrocious when I took those photos on Wednesday.

jccouger
12-20-2019, 01:51 PM
Does anybody know if the lighting on this bridge is the first LED lighting installed on streets anywhere in Oklahoma City?

catch22
12-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Does anybody know if the lighting on this bridge is the first LED lighting installed on streets anywhere in Oklahoma City?

Project 180.

baralheia
12-20-2019, 03:23 PM

It is not. The first LED highway lighting within the Metro that I am personally aware of was a short length (about half a mile) installed in the center median of I-240 with the most recent phase of the "Crossroads Renewal" (I-35/I-240 interchange) project. There also have been multiple installations / retrofits of LED street lights on city-owned streets; notable installations I am aware of include S Western from SW 29th St to SW 44th St, S Shields Ave from SE 29th St to SE Grand Blvd, and all of the new lighting along Oklahoma City Blvd.

It's highly likely that other LED lighting installations proceeded these - these are simply the ones I know about.

snark0leptic
12-20-2019, 03:32 PM
Hopefully, that has alleviated a lot of the northbound backup. It was atrocious when I took those photos on Wednesday.

Doesn't look like it, this is at 4:30pm

Pete
04-22-2020, 06:28 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/i35i44042120a.jpg

WitWhy
04-23-2020, 01:31 PM
they're really moving on the northbound bridge. I'm actually impressed with this project being designed for 10 lanes of traffic.. maybe ODOT is finally thinking about the future???

Plutonic Panda
04-23-2020, 02:13 PM
It would be nice to I-35 widened to 10 or even planned for 14 lanes one day but i believe the setup it 3-3 plus auxiliary lanes.

Keep in mind this is only phase one of a complete reconstruction of this interchange which will reconfigure the movements to the right instead of having left exits providing more flyovers which I am excited for.

Plutonic Panda
04-23-2020, 02:42 PM
Here is the final proposed build out of this interchange and adjacent roads.

https://youtu.be/hZHizthcCRQ

Plutonic Panda
04-23-2020, 02:44 PM
I wish they would extend the freeway heading east to tie into the soon to open Kickapoo Turnpike.

Pete
04-23-2020, 03:13 PM
I wish they would extend the freeway heading east to tie into the soon to open Kickapoo Turnpike.

I know you have a road fetish but that's 15 miles and there is absolutely nothing along that route and no reason drivers couldn't head north and hook up with I-44 east or south and take I-40 east.

This is never, ever, ever going to happen.

Plutonic Panda
04-23-2020, 03:55 PM
I know you have a road fetish but that's 15 miles and there is absolutely nothing along that route and no reason drivers couldn't head north and hook up with I-44 east or south and take I-40 east.

This is never, ever, ever going to happen.
I disagree. Regardless of my road fetish, this area will explode with growth soon. At the very least we should start planning. You could make the same argument for many freeways now built in Texas planned when no growth was occurring and we have a textbook example of the Kilpatrick Ext through mustang. Once OKC explodes with growth and it will, this will be an obvious missing link in the system.

PS, I should clarify I’m not advocating for construction right now but rather planning. Virtually no planning is happening for future freeways in the OKC metro.

Pete
04-23-2020, 03:58 PM
You mean apart from the 3 major interstate intersections now being totally rebuilt, the massive extension to the Kilpatrick Turnpike and the new east county turnpike? Or how about the big widening and extension of Portland north of Kilpatrick?

And that Mustang extension has absolutely tons of distribution (including OKC's largest private employer) and thousands of new homes all around. Look at an aerial. There is NOTHING along the route you are proposing.

I know you love roads but you can't just post things and not expect to be challenged for common sense.

Mel
04-23-2020, 04:00 PM

I like to do that. Check out all the places I have lived. Of course, the Military Bases are only Ground View up to the Main Gate.

stlokc
04-23-2020, 04:03 PM
I'm curious why you think this area "will explode with growth soon." I am 46 years old and there has been pretty much zero growth anywhere east of Broadway Extension in my lifetime, never mind east of I-35 in the Oklahoma City School District. What is it that is going to change this?

OKC may explode with growth, but if it does, I'm pretty sure it will be north/northwest. The only highway that I think would be appropriate to build (or even plan for) is Lake Hefner Parkway due north towards Edmond Road and on towards Coffee Creek. Apart from that, we have the highways we need for the next 20-30 years.

Pete
04-23-2020, 04:04 PM
^

It's just utter nonsense, along with wishing for a 14-lane road in NE OKC.

Plutonic Panda
04-23-2020, 05:01 PM
You mean apart from the 3 major interstate intersections now being totally rebuilt, the massive extension to the Kilpatrick Turnpike and the new east county turnpike? Or how about the big widening and extension of Portland north of Kilpatrick?

And that Mustang extension has absolutely tons of distribution (including OKC's largest private employer) and thousands of new homes all around. Look at an aerial. There is NOTHING along the route you are proposing.

I know you love roads but you can't just post things and not expect to be challenged for common sense.
Those are not planning for future freeways. Those are expansions of existing ones. How do expect this area to be completely cut off from future growth? OKC is poised to become the next boomtown. This area will see growth.

What I’m referring to is the complete lack of planning that has plagued the metro area in regards to future roads and the S.W. Kilpatrick is part of that. If you noticed they had built several subdivisions right at the end of the spur which necessitated a curvy alignment less they went the more expensive route and acquired land.

So do you mean to say that no planning for a future freeway should happen here? We should expect no growth in this area and a freeway as I suggested will never be warranted? If that’s what we plan for we will regret it. OKC has been fortunate to have built almost every planned freeway unlike LA that canceled more freeways than it built.

The widening of Portland north of the Kilpatrick is a rare case. But even then there needs to be a loop around north Edmond connecting a freeway to I-35. There should be a freeway running straight through Edmond but you can kiss that idea goodbye. Funny enough Edmond has some of the worst traffic in the metro. That’s because there are no freeway or expressway facilities to accommodate traffic. That is exactly what will happen to expanses of land like the huge swath between the Kickapoo, I-35, I-40, and I-44 if we don’t plan for more freeways and expressways. Grids, feeders, and arterials can only do so much even with synchronized lights which mind you are not good for pedestrians.

Even along the I-35 corridor through north OKC there has been growth and new stuff built left and right. This area is seeing growth. Lots of new growth soon to happen in Jones, Spencer, and Choctaw. I-35 is quickly seeing congestion why else would they be so worried about a bypass which the Kickapoo turnpike is virtually phase one of.

My proposal would further alleviate traffic congestion along I-35 and assist in new growth along the route. It’s a win-win. All I want to see is planning done.

Plutonic Panda
04-23-2020, 05:03 PM
^

It's just utter nonsense, along with wishing for a 14-lane road in NE OKC.
I’m sure those in Orange County said that back in the 70s. Okay Pete, just pretend a freeway like that will never be needed in OKC. But my opinion is you are very wrong. It’s also funny how you keep wording your posts as if I’m proposing construction start on this immediately. I’m not even proposing a timeline of construction. What I’m proposing is planning. ROW preservation and development guidelines to prevent the type of disaster that happen with the Kilpatrick S.W. extension.

Pete
04-23-2020, 05:03 PM
^

None of that is based in fact or reality and I normally wouldn't respond but lots of people read this site and I can't just let a bunch of nonsense get posted without response.

Not going to debate this any further.

Plutonic Panda
04-23-2020, 05:07 PM
I'm curious why you think this area "will explode with growth soon." I am 46 years old and there has been pretty much zero growth anywhere east of Broadway Extension in my lifetime, never mind east of I-35 in the Oklahoma City School District. What is it that is going to change this?

OKC may explode with growth, but if it does, I'm pretty sure it will be north/northwest. The only highway that I think would be appropriate to build (or even plan for) is Lake Hefner Parkway due north towards Edmond Road and on towards Coffee Creek. Apart from that, we have the highways we need for the next 20-30 years.
Okay fair point but if OKC does explode with growth why do you think this area will (a be immune to that growth and (b not see any commuting through it? The latter type of logic would akin to suggesting why should there be a freeway through Ardmore since no one in Ardmore needs it to commute. It’s part of the bigger picture.

As far as growth goes, I’m not sure if people on OKCTalk or OKC in general are aware, but there are some very expensive homes in this area and lots of money.

Oh well to each their own. I get the anti freeway and car sentiment shared on many urban development forums. There are valid points to be made. But suggesting we should plan for the future here and prevent subdivision after subdivision from being in a potential path of a freeway extension through the NE is foolish and lacks foresight. I guess time will tell who’s right. Mark my words.

Plutonic Panda
04-23-2020, 05:14 PM
In fact, I’ll one up my suggestion and after just looking at how big of a hole there will be in the Kickapoo, I-35, I-40, I-44 ring; I am surprised there aren’t multiple freeway or expressway routes being studied and preserved. Now keep in mind before anyone blows a gasket I’m not suggesting construction as I have to keep repeating over and over but planning.

I just drove through this area the other day and there is certainly many developments happening. I wouldn’t call it booming but it isn’t stagnant but any means.

For further clarification, six lanes works just fine at the current moment for NE OKC and Edmond area. There are some deficiencies that need to be corrected but the amount of mainline lanes works well. I am suggesting future planning.

stlokc
04-23-2020, 08:57 PM
I'm all for future planning. Really, I am.

We are going to wake up at some point in 2040 and the metro area will have over 2 million people one way or another, I get that. But when we get to 2040, which do you think is more likely?

1. The arc of development that has been happening for our whole lifetimes will have sharply, unexplainably bent and there will be a couple hundred thousand people living on the I-35 corridor and points east along Wilshire, Britton, Hefner etc.

2. The arc of development will continue on the current trajectory. NE OKC will look fairly similar to today, with perhaps some more scattered "big money" subdivisions dotting the landscape in a low density manner. Meanwhile, the Deer Creek School District will have 3 high schools and 100,000 people.

3. Demographics and changing preferences will make themselves felt. There will be growth across North OKC, the Kilpatrick will fill in between Lake Hefner Parkway and NW Highway but urban growth continues as well and we see a more well-balanced city in terms of urban vs. suburban development.

I'm betting on some combination of #2 and #3. Not #1.

rte66man
04-24-2020, 04:02 PM
I actually agree with Plupan (sort of). The number of VERY large distribution centers/warehouses along 35 between the two I-44 interchanges has also exploded. Carlisle Foods, US Foods, and Crest have all built there in recent years. I see Bobcat and DitchWitch have dealerships there as well. While maybe not employing large numbers of people, it tells me this area is beginning to take off. Also, people will wake up and realize a commute from here to downtown is better than pretty much anywhere else where new houses are being built. Also, Jones is growing for that very reason. If you plan (not build) right now, you can preserve a corridor from being overbuilt.

Plutonic Panda
04-24-2020, 09:34 PM
I believe there are also several more developments planned. This section of I-35 fortunately seems to have a decent amount of ROW unlike the section in south OKC.

I guarantee OkDOT is dreading this but it is starting to get to the point where we need to start having a conversation about capacity expansion. Steve lackmeyer and OkDOT have both said the interstate is maxed out at six lanes and that is complete rubbish. Question is hopefully the widen it to 10 instead of 8 to plan for the future.

As far as I-35 in north OKC metro goes the only improvements needed are as follower

Proposed near term(my dates could off by a year or two I am going from memory):

I-35 SB added lane under Kilpatrick turnpike 2022

Waterloo Interchange 2023

Edmond one way service road reconfiguration 2026

I-35/I-44 exchange 2020-2027

I-35 expansion from I-44 to I-40 2027

Planned long term:

I-35 expansion from four to six lanes from 2nd to Waterloo

I-35 expansion from four to six lanes Waterloo to SH-33 in Guthrie.

I-35 service roads extended from 2nd street to Covell or possibly Waterloo

My wishlist:

All mile roads have interchanges from Edmond to Guthrie(a possibility this will be included in the expansion but no details available that I know of)

Kilpatrick interchange reconfigured and rebuilt to remove deficiencies(yes I know it’s fairly new)

2nd street overpass completely reconstructed and reconfigured

All service roads converted to one way and Texas turnarounds added

A half mile bridge added between intergris hospital and Walmart

That’s really all I want done to I-35 at this point. But as far as new freeways go I’d like to see more planning done. We are setting ourselves up for disaster. The planning done in Texas plays a part in why the state is so successful.

Laramie
04-25-2020, 10:34 PM
Texas' success has a lot to do with its growth and road development. Texas at this point can't build the roads they need to support its explosive growth.

When you have metro areas like Dallas-Fort Worth & Houston; each with four or five cities over 100,000 populations you have to build infrastructure to support those growing population centers.

Oklahoma City metro has Norman (128,000) & Edmond (95,000) surrounding OKC and Midwest City-Del City (90,000), Moore (68,000) with Bethany-Yukon-El Reno (68,000); you do need to look at your whole interstate with some kind of flexible plan to address future growth.

If the above areas in OKC begin to boom where you have three or four cities with 100,000 populations, you better start planning fast.

Eastern Oklahoma Turnpike will put OKC metro in an awkward situation where you'll need more roads built coming into OKC in a spoke wheel structure.

Oklahoma City thru ODOT needs to have a flexible 10-15 year road growth & Interstate widening plan in place with options; right now we're projected to have about 1.6 million in 2030. If the OKC metro explodes to 1.8 million by 2030 it will be too late.

Plutonic Panda
04-25-2020, 11:22 PM
Let’s not forget that following the laughable mentality of not widening roads due to the induced demand fallacy leads to situations like the one Portland is in where it has half the population of Dallas yes traffic just as bad if not worse.

Yes, Oklahoma’s best bet is to follow the Texas model and build roads like crazy. That’s what we need more than rail or any other mode of transportation. That needs to be first priority and every other mode comes second.

Laramie
04-26-2020, 10:35 AM
Oklahoma isn't following Texas' lead...

Oklahoma City, the bulk of our state's growth will be lucky to reach 1.5 million population come 2030 with the Covid-19 pandemic that will set the state back 5 years in what little growth we anticipated. Pressure to open the state in phases may eventually backfire since testing for the pandemic doesn't have the percentage of sampling neccessary to determine if Oklahoma is ready to be open for business.

We're anticipating a state loss of $400 million revenue; that will wipe out 2/3 of the State's $600 million Rainy Day Fund if we tap into that fund. If this pandemic worsens; we'll wipe out the Rainy Day Fund in the first few month of 2021; Oklahoma will need help from the U. S. Government.

At some point, the U.S. Government will be somewhere near a massive recession or all out depression that could seem like a revisit of what Oklahoma went thru during the 30s Dust Bowl & Depression era.

Laramie
04-26-2020, 02:40 PM
Oklahoma City manages to grow despite adversity. Covid-19 will be the greatest challenge ever.

MAPS initiatives has allowed our city to invest in itself; citizens trust the current brand. We'll be able to project sales tax collections for the city and MAPS 4 throughout this 2020 pandemic year.

The longer it lasts or if there is a 2nd wave of coronavirus this fall and/or winter can be minimized some if we continue practice to interrupt the spread.

workman45
04-27-2020, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately from what we observed last weekend, only about 25% of people are wearing mask. Let's pray this doesn't hurt us down the road.

HOT ROD
04-27-2020, 09:21 PM
I bet OKC metro gets to 1.6 million way before 2030 and probably before 2025, since it's now at 1.4 million (2019). I'd argue 2m by 2030 is very conceivable, particularly as we mature the existing and upcoming sectors and add new employment sectors.

If Oklahoma as a state can position OKC to compete against other major metros, OKC will surely boom just as Austin and Charlotte has. There's no reason why Oklahoma as a state couldn't be 4m (2020) up to 4.5m by 2030, with the bulk of that in the OKC metro.

We need to think big and as a state put the city best to compete. Tulsa can compete with small cities very nicely and make a few big grabs but we need OKC to go after companies in other state's largest cities. ...Or we can do nothing and rely on natural growth (3%), which I doubt.

Pete
04-28-2020, 07:07 AM
I bet OKC metro gets to 1.6 million way before 2030 and probably before 2025, since it's now at 1.4 million (2019). I'd argue 2m by 2030 is very conceivable, particularly as we mature the existing and upcoming sectors and add new employment sectors.

The OKC MSA has grown between 10-15% for each of the last several decades but much slower when there is an oil bust.

Assuming we get to 1.4 million in the 2020 census ( a big assumption), the best you could hope for in 2030 is about 1.6 million, and given the current state of oil and the sense things were already trending down before the virus hit, I'd expect it to be less than that.

OKC is not a boomtown like the cities in Texas. They have consistently grown at 20%+ per decade on base populations many mutliples of OKC.

We grow about 10-13% per decade; always have and we'll be lucky to continue that trend in the next decade or two.

HOT ROD
05-06-2020, 03:34 PM
pete, already at 1.4 million from 2019 and was already very close in 2018.

So not inconceivable to be beyond 1.5 in official 2020.

mugofbeer
05-06-2020, 03:50 PM
At some point, the U.S. Government will be somewhere near a massive recession or all out depression that could seem like a revisit of what Oklahoma went thru during the 30s Dust Bowl & Depression era.

You went off the deep end here. It won't ever get remotely close to this bad. Deep recession? Yes.

Pete
05-06-2020, 03:51 PM
pete, already at 1.4 million from 2019 and was already very close in 2018.

So not inconceivable to be beyond 1.5 in official 2020.

Those are unofficial #'s and before the oil bust.

Don't be surprised if we are lower than 1.4 million in the official 2020 census.

OKC Guy
05-06-2020, 04:35 PM
The OKC MSA has grown between 10-15% for each of the last several decades but much slower when there is an oil bust.

Assuming we get to 1.4 million in the 2020 census ( a big assumption), the best you could hope for in 2030 is about 1.6 million, and given the current state of oil and the sense things were already trending down before the virus hit, I'd expect it to be less than that.

OKC is not a boomtown like the cities in Texas. They have consistently grown at 20%+ per decade on base populations many mutliples of OKC.

We grow about 10-13% per decade; always have and we'll be lucky to continue that trend in the next decade or two.

One comment is although we don’t grow as fast as those 20+% cities in Texas during the last recession we were not hit as hard either. We hug the middle line more than other fast growth cities. What will be interesting is how those fast growth cities do in this fast downturn. Do they have a much higher unemployment rate? This type of downturn is new so it will be interesting how it shakes out.

We seem to borrow less as a city, good example is our MAPS projects are paid ahead. So for example convention center is paid for and will help us not carrying the debt other cities do.