View Full Version : Riviere Modern Bahn Mi

Pete
07-19-2019, 08:15 AM
They opened yesterday at 905 N Hudson; Jimmy's Egg opened last week next door.

They both have bars.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/jimmysegg070619a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/riviere071819a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/riviere071819b.jpg

snark0leptic
07-19-2019, 09:26 AM
That is a cringe-worthy amount of puns. Also this just makes me miss the Milk Bottle place.

jompster
07-19-2019, 05:05 PM
That is a cringe-worthy amount of puns. Also this just makes me miss the Milk Bottle place.

I second the milk bottle! I'll try the place, but I still prefer just the good old classic banh mi. Lang's Bakery makes some good ones.

ctchandler
07-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Pete,
Jimmy's Egg has a bar? I've been to many of them but never ran into a bar. Of course, it's been several years since I ate there.
C. T.

PhiAlpha
07-19-2019, 08:58 PM
Pete,
Jimmy's Egg has a bar? I've been to many of them but never ran into a bar. Of course, it's been several years since I ate there.
C. T.

I went last weekend. This is the first one I’ve seen with a bar.

snark0leptic
07-19-2019, 11:32 PM
I second the milk bottle! I'll try the place, but I still prefer just the good old classic banh mi. Lang's Bakery makes some good ones.

I was about to give them a shoutout too, but I second Lang's.

aDark
07-20-2019, 12:21 PM
This place is fantastic. My wife, her co-worker, and I went on opening day. It was fairly busy but we were seated without waiting. Service was great. Met the chef and the owner's father. Our waiter was maybe a little too friendly but it was clear everyone in the restaurant was trying incredibly hard to make a great first impression.They did.

The atmosphere and decor is interesting. It is not overdone, which is nice. Like many Vietnamese restaurants the focus is on the dining not a bunch of decor. The north wall has a neat carving with blue light that can be seen in Pete's photo above. It looks much much better in person.

THE FOOD. The food was phenomenal. I don't say that lightly. We shared an order of the Gangnam Style fries. They brought out a good portion which the three of us weren't able to finish due to saving room for the banh mi. French fries covered in beer cheese witha good bit of bulgogi on top. Fantastic. I ordered the Pho'rench Dip. It is maybe the best banh mi I've ever had. Imagine Lees but with a softer french roll and more meat/ingredients. Instead of serving with a side of au jus it comes with a side of pho broth for dipping. It made for an incredible flavor. The pho broth alone was very very good. The chef said this sandwhich was currently the crowd favorite. He was worried the traditional Vietnamese patrons might be offended by combining pho with banh mi but said he has been pleasantly surprised to hear it's a hit with all crowds. My bahn mi came with a side and I ordered the mac and cheese. It was tasty. In hindsight, I should have ordered a less rich and cheesy side since our appetizer was heavy on the same kind of cheese.

We will be frequenting this place often. I have no doubt it will continue to do well and impress. It's just 2 blocks north of my office and I suspect many others will make it a business lunch stop.

Thomas Vu
07-21-2019, 06:46 AM
I stopped by yesterday with a friend. She had the pho'rench banh mi with mac & cheese, and I had the banh fire with corn. I was delightfully surprised with it all. The pho'rench banh mi worked a lot better than I thought it would. The banh fire was also very good.

I was told that they were owned by the same group who runs jimmy's egg.

I'm also inclined to compare this to lees. It's a more upscaled version. I'd leave it to others to determine if they're getting a sandwich that is at least 2-3x better since the sandwiches I believe are 2-3x the price. If my choices were down to these 2, I'd go here every time.

Having said that, I think I still prefer the guy who runs something of a bakery caddy corner to lees next to classen coffee. I also like the choices available to me at magasin table.

SoonersFan12
07-21-2019, 08:44 AM
I am glad to hear the food is great, I never had Vietnamese food before so I will give this a try!

TheTravellers
07-21-2019, 12:32 PM
Having said that, I think I still prefer the guy who runs something of a bakery caddy corner to lees next to classen coffee. I also like the choices available to me at magasin table.

We went to Magasin Table for the first time Monday night, loved it - I had the pork belly/quail egg banh mi, wife had the lemongrass chicken banh mi, and we split the crab rangoon (probably the best crab rangoon we've ever had). How does this place compare to Magasin Table?

Thomas Vu
07-22-2019, 01:07 PM
We went to Magasin Table for the first time Monday night, loved it - I had the pork belly/quail egg banh mi, wife had the lemongrass chicken banh mi, and we split the crab rangoon (probably the best crab rangoon we've ever had). How does this place compare to Magasin Table?

Different markets. As I'm working my way through the magasin table menu, there's an attempt to stay vietnamese but with higher/better quality ingredients.

In my previous post the unnamed bakery caddy corner to lees was quoc bao.

aDark
07-23-2019, 08:29 AM

Re the crab rangoon at Magasin - I literally said the same thing to my wife. Best crab rangoon I've ever had, by a long shot.

Pete
07-23-2019, 01:50 PM
Went to Riviere for lunch today.

Had the K-Pop (beef with cilantro and fresh jalapeno) and the street corn as a side.

LOVED the corn; warm and lots of flavor and served off the cob.

The sandwich was very good; meat was high quality and firm but not hard bun. I'm going to take the 2nd half home for dinner and add in some sriracha or similar. Total was $10.50 before tip.

Really nice little place.

Dob Hooligan
07-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Went today at lunchtime since Ban called me and asked me to stop by. I'm a McDonald's and Domino's kinda guy. I don't do weird **** and damn sure don't eat any of that Chinese stuff. Figure it's gonna be squid guts, or something like that. Ban assured me "No weird ****".

He was right. I got the Banh Jovi. I loved it. It's some kinda cheesesteak sandwich that I got with the mayo stuff on the side. Tasty, with a bun that was neither too tough or too flaky, rather just right. Nice meat that didn't have any grisly and chewy pieces. Great texture and flavor. Got mac & cheese for a side and loved it.

For an old guy like me who is afraid of any "furrin" and hip food, it was great. Now I can tell my friends I'm a "foodie", since I went there before they did. At least until they call bull**** on me.

Thomas Vu
07-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Went today at lunchtime since Ban called me and asked me to stop by. I'm a McDonald's and Domino's kinda guy. I don't do weird **** and damn sure don't eat any of that Chinese stuff. Figure it's gonna be squid guts, or something like that. Ban assured me "No weird ****".

He was right. I got the Banh Jovi. I loved it. It's some kinda cheesesteak sandwich that I got with the mayo stuff on the side. Tasty, with a bun that was neither too tough or too flaky, rather just right. Nice meat that didn't have any grisly and chewy pieces. Great texture and flavor. Got mac & cheese for a side and loved it.

For an old guy like me who is afraid of any "furrin" and hip food, it was great. Now I can tell my friends I'm a "foodie", since I went there before they did. At least until they call bull**** on me.

Had Ban known that it was "Chinese stuff" that you were looking to avoid. All of this could have been resolved earlier by mentioning that it's Vietnamese, Korean, and American.

Dob Hooligan
07-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Had Ban known that it was "Chinese stuff" that you were looking to avoid. All of this could have been resolved earlier by mentioning that it's Vietnamese, Korean, and American.

Oh, he tried and told me many times. My brain just didn't want to accept and process the truth he was telling me. That is all on me.

Thomas Vu
07-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Turns out I'm also wrong. I forgot that there is chinese sausage on the mac & cheese.

jonny d
07-25-2019, 03:18 PM
Went for lunch today. I got the Bahn Fire. It was awesome! Maybe a little too much bread, but my friends Bahn Jovi looked much for full. I made note of that for next time. The green beans with chili oil are very good. I highly recommend them!

Pete
07-25-2019, 03:24 PM
I've been craving their street corn since I had it a couple of days ago.

I will be back soon.

jonny d
07-25-2019, 04:00 PM

I will be back soon.

I need to get that next.

Thomas Vu
07-25-2019, 11:09 PM

I will be back soon.

+1 for corn.

cappa
07-26-2019, 09:13 AM
Went for lunch today. I got the Bahn Fire. It was awesome! Maybe a little too much bread, but my friends Bahn Jovi looked much for full. I made note of that for next time. The green beans with chili oil are very good. I highly recommend them!

I agree with the too much bread. Got the KPOP and man there was way too much bread compared to the meat and such.

TheTravellers
07-26-2019, 09:44 AM
We kinda thought the same thing about Magasin Table - baguettes were too much (good, but just too big), interesting that both places use La Baguette for their bread.

Jeepnokc
12-24-2021, 07:19 AM
Did take out for office lunch this week. The sandwiches were on point. The bread was fresh and held up well to fully stuffed sandwiched. The vegetables and green stuff added was crisp and fresh. I had the K Pop banh mi which was a bulgogi sandwich. Several had the lettuce wraps which looked amazing and will probably be what I get next time. The pricing was a good value for lunch and what you receive. We ordered for 12 people and the order was correct with each entree clearly marked. We have added it to our rotation.

soonermike81
12-24-2021, 08:06 AM
While it was a decent enough banh mi when we went a while back, I can’t get over the prices. $9 for a banh mi that is equivalent to some of the old school establishments. Just not worth it, imo.

Oski
12-24-2021, 11:00 AM
While it was a decent enough banh mi when we went a while back, I can’t get over the prices. $9 for a banh mi that is equivalent to some of the old school establishments. Just not worth it, imo.

But it's ok that a hamburger or a pizza cost $9?

soonermike81
12-24-2021, 11:16 AM
But it's ok that a hamburger or a pizza cost $9?

Sure. If the average price of a good hamburger is between $8-10, I’m going to have difficulty paying for a hamburger priced between $16-20. Unless it’s significantly better. I can go get a banh mi elsewhere for $4-5. Rivière isn’t much better, imo, so I can’t justify the $9 price for it. Just my opinion.

TheTravellers
12-24-2021, 11:49 AM
Sure. If the average price of a good hamburger is between $8-10, I’m going to have difficulty paying for a hamburger priced between $16-20. Unless it’s significantly better. I can go get a banh mi elsewhere for $4-5. Rivière isn’t much better, imo, so I can’t justify the $9 price for it. Just my opinion.

Having had a few banh mis here in OKC, I thought Rivière's were pretty decent for the money - who serves the $4-5 banh mis that are as good as Rivière's? I'd like to try them.

soonermike81
12-24-2021, 03:41 PM
Having had a few banh mis here in OKC, I thought Rivière's were pretty decent for the money - who serves the $4-5 banh mis that are as good as Rivière's? I'd like to try them.

Literally every banh mi place town sells in the $4-5 range. Even Viet restaurants that have banh mi on the menu are in that range. Only places that I know that are slightly higher than the average is Magasin Table and Riviere. Riviere has the highest priced banh mis by far. But you may feel that the quality is that much better to warrant the price, which is fine. I've only had once experience there and the food was fine, just not enough good enough to frequent often.

borchard
12-24-2021, 04:06 PM
I love their Yellow Curry. Only thing Ive had there since I discovered it :-)

soonermike81
12-24-2021, 04:41 PM
I love their Yellow Curry. Only thing Ive had there since I discovered it :-)

It completely slipped my mind that they have other options on the menu other than banh mi. If we happen to make it back that way, I would be more than willing to try the other options. I love all types of curry.

Thomas Vu
12-24-2021, 05:41 PM
Literally every banh mi place town sells in the $4-5 range. Even Viet restaurants that have banh mi on the menu are in that range. Only places that I know that are slightly higher than the average is Magasin Table and Riviere. Riviere has the highest priced banh mis by far. But you may feel that the quality is that much better to warrant the price, which is fine. I've only had once experience there and the food was fine, just not enough good enough to frequent often.

Yeah <$6 is the norm, or it should be, among banh mi places.

Jeepnokc
12-25-2021, 06:03 AM
Yeah <$6 is the norm, or it should be, among banh mi places.

Where are the best banh mi places?

Pete
12-25-2021, 07:59 AM

Lee's Sandwiches on Classen is very good and quite reasonable.

Plus, they now have a drive-thru.

DoctorTaco
12-25-2021, 09:05 AM

https://www.yelp.com/biz/banh-cuon-nhu-lan-oklahoma-city

Banh Cuon Nhu Lan off 23rd and Classen is a cult favorite.

Thomas Vu
12-25-2021, 11:56 AM

I prefer magasin table, myself. Quoc bao is a popular choice. Having said this I'm never fiending for one or anything.

Pete
12-25-2021, 12:10 PM
Magasin Table is just so good all the way around.

Doesn't get nearly the talk it deserves.

TheTravellers
12-25-2021, 01:52 PM
Magasin Table is just so good all the way around.

Doesn't get nearly the talk it deserves.

We like them and Riviere, pretty sure Lee's isn't in the same category taste-wise (we've been to each place a few times), and they're not price-wise. I wouldn't consider Lee's to be one of the best banh mi places, but will give Quoc Bao and Banh Cuon Nhu Lan a try, thanks.

Jersey Boss
12-25-2021, 03:53 PM
I've been happy with the sandwiches at Lang Bakery. You can pick one up for a fiver.

shawnw
12-25-2021, 08:51 PM

is "downtown prices" a thing? since the two higher priced places mentioned are both downtown

Urbanized
12-26-2021, 07:23 AM
is "downtown prices" a thing? since the two higher priced places mentioned are both downtown

Yeah, absolutely they are. Without question it is more expensive to do business downtown. And as someone who works downtown and lives near downtown I’m always willing to pay for the convenience to not have to drive to a far-flung corner of the city to enjoy a quality representation of a food that may be in concentrated abundance in another part of town.

Places like Rivière or Magasin might not have downward pricing pressure from close by competitors, but they also have upward pressure from higher rent and other factors. I think both of those places are worth every penny. I’m at Magasin in particular probably 3-4 times a month.

soonermike81
12-26-2021, 06:08 PM

I would assume so. At least in this case, it is. And like urbanized said above, it’s most likely not an issue if you live/work downtown and don’t want to drive up to 23rd and Classen for a banh mi. We don’t live downtown, so it doesn’t make sense for us to drive out of our way to pay more for Rivière’s banh mi.

On the other hand, I used to make weekly trips with my son to Magasin Table for their pho. To me, they had the best broth in town and I was absolutely willing to drive further AND pay more than the norm for their pho. Actually haven’t been in quite a while, but I heard they took pho off the menu. Unfortunate if true.

jompster
12-26-2021, 09:09 PM
My better half grew up in Vietnam, so we go have banh mi at the minimum once weekly. I don't do Lee's because their baguettes are too stiff (I prefer Lee's sandwiches on a croissant), but I usually like Lang Bakery, Quoc Bao, or Bistro B. All are well-priced and all are delicious.

Urbanized
12-27-2021, 12:38 PM
...I used to make weekly trips with my son to Magasin Table for their pho. To me, they had the best broth in town and I was absolutely willing to drive further AND pay more than the norm for their pho. Actually haven’t been in quite a while, but I heard they took pho off the menu. Unfortunate if true.
Nope, they still 100% have pho. Today they offered filet mignon, oxtail, meatball, brisket, chicken, rare steak, combination and vegan.

soonermike81
12-28-2021, 05:44 AM
Nope, they still 100% have pho. Today they offered filet mignon, oxtail, meatball, brisket, chicken, rare steak, combination and vegan.

That’s good to hear! Their pho is awesome. I really need to make it back over there soon

zefferoni
12-28-2021, 06:35 AM
I think part of the price premium is the 'fancy' ingredients and sides. I feel like a traditional banh mi for $5 at other places is the right price, but I'm cool with paying a couple dollars more for a French Dip banh mi and some mac and cheese is alright too.

Thomas Vu
12-29-2021, 08:44 PM

It was off during the summer, and was phased back in during fall