catch22
01-01-2019, 03:23 PM
2019 has begun.

Changes ahead:
AA adds OKC-DCA eff. 2/14
AA mainline OKC-PHX eff. 2/18
UA mainline OKC-IAH eff. 4/29

Things to watch for (my opinion):
Via Air will likely pull out of OKC or shut down operations.
Impacts to business travel with depressed oil prices. Could be a factor in slowing growth if prices remain slumped.
It wouldn’t be a huge shock to see AA attempt OKC-MIA, given their recent expansion at OKC.
United to resume mainline to DEN.
Things I’d like to see (realistic) but wouldn’t say are necessarily probable:

Alaska attempt mainline to SEA
Southwest make BNA a daily flight (their attention is on hawaii)

s00nr1
01-01-2019, 10:51 PM
I'd be even happier if Alaska would just move the daily N/S to the morning to take advantage of an ever-increasing connection Network out of SEA.

damonsmuz
01-02-2019, 08:15 PM
With cheap fuel, you would expect airlines to test newer routes into OKC. But with our economy tied to energy, maybe not. Unless our economy doesn't get hit that hard

HangryHippo
01-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Any chance JetBlue gives OKC either BOS or JFK this year?

BG918
01-02-2019, 08:50 PM

Highly unlikely they haven’t started expanding into the Heartland and would probably fly to MCI, STL, IND, etc before OKC

s00nr1
01-03-2019, 01:09 PM

I'd think we might get a shot with JetBlue's new P2P "Moxy" airline utilizing Airbus A220's.

BG918
01-03-2019, 01:35 PM
I'd think we might get a shot with JetBlue's new P2P "Moxy" airline utilizing Airbus A220's.

True we don’t fully know how the A220 will change the business as Delta is the main U.S. airline that has purchased them. Mainline JetBlue won’t be coming anytime soon but there may be an opportunity with Moxy. With a 3600 mi Range these could easily make NYC and BOS-OKC possible, if that’s even their plan.

With this aircraft, Moxy could introduce profitable city pairs in underserved regional and short to mid-haul markets, in the U.S. and beyond. The A220-300 would also be suitable to introduce new frequent shuttle services between cities with high business passenger demand, where schedule flexibility might be attractive to passengers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisagarcia/2019/01/03/moxie-and-jetblue-place-firm-orders-for-120-airbus-a220-aircraft/

amocore
01-03-2019, 02:10 PM
True we don’t fully know how the A220 will change the business as Delta is the main U.S. airline that has purchased them. Mainline JetBlue won’t be coming anytime soon but there may be an opportunity with Moxy. With a 3600 mi Range these could easily make NYC and BOS-OKC possible, if that’s even their plan.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisagarcia/2019/01/03/moxie-and-jetblue-place-firm-orders-for-120-airbus-a220-aircraft/

Interesting market development and very interesting plane which is perfect for OKC like market.
I have started to wonder if the growing gap between the regional 50 to 80 seaters and the newer A 320neo and B737 MAX 8 which all seat about 180 people would hurt us.
The A220 may come to the rescue after all the A319 smaller B737 and B 717 go away.

gman11695
01-04-2019, 09:12 AM
It would appear Via Air has pulled out of OKC. It is no longer listed on the destinations section of their website.
https://www.flyviaair.com/destinations/

catch22
01-04-2019, 09:38 AM
Moxy and JetBlue are not the same entities. David Neeleman started JetBlue, and he is starting Moxy. He also started Westjet and Azul and so far all of his airlines have remained separate. He’s a good fund raiser and ground work guy, but so far all of his ventures have remained separate. There’s no reason to believe these entities will be combined or even work alongside each other.

JetBlue also has a220’s of their own on order. They don’t need Moxy.

PaddyShack
01-04-2019, 09:43 AM
So is there any reason why we don't see more Ultra-low cost carriers from OKC? I am thinking carriers like RyanAir or EasyJet that I could hope on for $30-$50 for one way without any luggage except for a small back pack. The reason I bring it up, is I have been looking at traveling to the away games for the Energy FC and most flights are $200+. I am just needing a flight there and back with no frills. Is there an airlines that operates as such in the US, but not to OKC or is there something else that doesn't allow for these type of carriers to be in business?

OUman
01-04-2019, 10:29 AM
Spirit and Frontier are the types of airlines you're referring to (no-frills ULCCs). Frontier does operate at OKC but to a limited number of destinations. Little chance of Spirit starting ops here anytime soon.

PaddyShack
01-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Spirit and Frontier are the types of airlines you're referring to (no-frills ULCCs). Frontier does operate at OKC but to a limited number of destinations. Little chance of Spirit starting ops here anytime soon.

Frontier doesn't even have daily flights out of OKC... I would like a carrier that is ULC but also has available flights throughout the weekend.

whatitis
01-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Frontier doesn't even have daily flights out of OKC... I would like a carrier that is ULC but also has available flights throughout the weekend.

Allegiant is another ULCC that operates out of OKC.

HOT ROD
01-06-2019, 08:32 PM
and to multiple destinations

catch22
01-09-2019, 08:33 AM
United really just seems to struggle in OKC, or they just don’t seem to place much importance on OKC.

Omaha (which is a busier airport but similar sized city) used to have a somewhat comparable United schedule as OKC. However, this spring they will now have 4 mainline to DEN, 3 mainline to ORD, and 3 round trips to EWR. They also have 2x daily to SFO beginning soon. We have more seats to IAH and service to IAD which they don’t. However, the amount of mainline there is pretty dramatic compared to OKC.

United has the best network location out of OKC, and they could really capitalize on that if they wanted to. OKC is for all intents and purposes equidistant from DEN, ORD, and IAH. With a robust schedule to all 3 hubs, they could literally dominate the market and likely be the preferred carrier for any direction of travel out of OKC.

Just a random thought from 11F.

mugofbeer
01-09-2019, 10:09 AM
In Denver, which is one of United's larger cities, I find it to be more expensive to nearly everywhere than other airlines. I think United wants to cater to the business traveler rather than the value traveler.

catch22
01-09-2019, 02:14 PM
In Denver, which is one of United's larger cities, I find it to be more expensive to nearly everywhere than other airlines. I think United wants to cater to the business traveler rather than the value traveler.

That’s certainly true in some regards as we are spending a ton of money on premium cabin refits and elite amenities. However, basic economy does provide plenty of options that are beneficial to budget travelers while retaining customer loyalty. My point is, United can’t seem to make extra capacity at OKC work while it can at smaller cities such as Wichita, Tulsa, Cedar Rapids, Souix Falls, Omaha, and Des Moines. Other than Omaha, I can’t see any of those cities having greater business demand than OKC, and outside of TUL (AA) none have any local tendency to be loyal to a particular airline.

HOT ROD
01-10-2019, 04:31 PM
very hard to believe that United has more capacity from those cities than OKC - which is much larger than any of them.

I know OKC has flights to all of the hubs as we'd expect to see but I agree with you that it's very difficult to understand what United is doing only sending regional planes and not so much mainline. ...

Jeepnokc
01-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Not political....I have a 6 am flight tomorrow. Has our TSA lines gotten any slower or more backed up with the government shutdown? Trying to see if I need to plan on more time than usual.

s00nr1
01-10-2019, 06:40 PM
I had no issues Tuesday. Breezed through TSA Pre as normal.

DelCamino
01-11-2019, 03:39 PM
2018 year end numbers - 4.3m

https://flyokc.com/sites/default/files/December%202018%20Enplanement%20Report.pdf

damonsmuz
01-11-2019, 04:21 PM
How many seats did United have in December for sale vs previous months? Big change for them while other airlines saw a nice bump.

catch22
01-11-2019, 04:35 PM
How many seats did United have in December for sale vs previous months? Big change for them while other airlines saw a nice bump.

I can look up an inventory report Sunday.

HOT ROD
01-11-2019, 10:38 PM
wow, very nice. OKC is more than officially in the 4m club. 4.3m is very unexpected, a jump of 500K from last year. very nice!!

no1cub17
01-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Wow - a 10% jump is impressive no matter how you look at it. Amazing though that DL, AA, and WN all grew, while UA really declined. Not sure why that would be - as catch alluded to earlier, doesn't make much sense. Yes AA is helped by how close and huge DFW is but it's not like UA doesn't have solid hubs in DEN/SFO/ORD that it can't leverage?

HangryHippo
01-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Purely anecdotal, but it always seems like when I need to fly, United's times and/or fares suck and I end up choosing another airline.

catch22
01-12-2019, 03:23 PM
While not groundbreaking this goes to show that AA is fairly serious about making OKC an important market for them.

Gate 8.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/49864357_2108499515862736_9082494146018541568_n.jp g?_nc_cat=101&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=3cdee0d08b83a62ddac9d0b802141680&oe=5CD68F22

HangryHippo
01-12-2019, 03:26 PM
It's too bad it's not Delta or United experiencing this kind of growth out of OKC, because I don't care for Parker and think AA is really deteriorating under his "leadership".

catch22
01-12-2019, 03:29 PM
It's too bad it's not Delta or United experiencing this kind of growth out of OKC, because I don't care for Parker and think AA is really deteriorating under his "leadership".

Despite of the fact that I work for United, I’ve always had a soft spot for AA and am happy to have them expand in OKC. I am just frustrated that UA has let OKC service slip so much in the past few years since they closed OKC.

HangryHippo
01-12-2019, 03:40 PM
Despite of the fact that I work for United, I’ve always had a soft spot for AA and am happy to have them expand in OKC. I am just frustrated that UA has let OKC service slip so much in the past few years since they closed OKC.
I’m happy for the expansion as well - it’s certainly made my life easier.

I can’t remember why United closed OKC? Just underperforming?

catch22
01-12-2019, 03:42 PM
I’m happy for the expansion as well - it’s certainly made my life easier.

I can’t remember why United closed OKC? Just underperforming?

It was the final blow of the hammer of the Smisek cost cutting era. He outsourced a total of 40 stations and put thousands of people out of work and replaced them by near minimum wage contractors.

HangryHippo
01-12-2019, 03:47 PM
It was the final blow of the hammer of the Smisek cost cutting era. He outsourced a total of 40 stations and put thousands of people out of work and replaced them by near minimum wage contractors.
That's right. I had forgotten ole' Smisek. How are things going under Munoz? Things improving?

catch22
01-12-2019, 03:51 PM
That's right. I had forgotten ole' Smisek. How are things going under Munoz? Things improving?

Morale is at multi decade long highs, we are making money, and even though I’m biased we put out a pretty decent product compared to what we were doing in the first part of the decade. I’m very happy to say I work for United. If we would have held on just a few months longer, OKC and the other 28 stations that were closed during the final round would have been safe under Munoz. Unfortunately there’s no reversing it, but it’s unfortunate we didn’t make it just a little longer.

brianinok
01-12-2019, 04:15 PM
While not groundbreaking this goes to show that AA is fairly serious about making OKC an important market for them.

Gate 8.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/49864357_2108499515862736_9082494146018541568_n.jp g?_nc_cat=101&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=3cdee0d08b83a62ddac9d0b802141680&oe=5CD68F22That's nice to see! While I fly all 4 of the major airlines in OKC, my favorite and most frequent is AA. I typically fly Delta and United about once a year, and Southwest less than that. Occasionally something comes up and if I need to go to one of the cities a non-AA airline flies to non-stop I do it though. I'm very disappointed that Delta is getting the new gates and not American. I hope that there is some shifting around and American ends up with more gates, though.

I do wonder, what do some of you airline people think of what seems to be a very strategic AA move in OKC? Do you think this is part of a planned, sustained campaign to grow their business here, or are they doing this in a multitude of cities right now? I assume most of the capacity is coming from RJs (though good, comfortable RJs overall) but it looks like we have a couple more mainline to DFW and a new one coming to PHX. So that's up a little from a year or two ago. I assume they don't just throw darts at a dartboard, that they study yields and loads and apparently OKC keeps responding to the extra capacity so they keep giving us more? Realistically, how far can this go in the next year or two? Add MIA and one of the NYC airports? Maybe a couple mainline additions to hubs other than DFW and PHX? Could it ever lead to an Admiral's Club? What kind of AA traffic do some of the smallest Admiral's Club cities have?

brianinok
01-12-2019, 04:31 PM
Could it ever lead to an Admiral's Club? What kind of AA traffic do some of the smallest Admiral's Club cities have?I just did a little math. AA had 22.8% market share in December, which equates to 989k passengers for a year (I'm sure I could have added up all their passengers for the year but I didn't take the time). Looking at the list of Admiral's Clubs on the AA website I thought Orange County looked like a good candidate for lowest AA traffic. It has 1.6 million annual AA passengers. So, still over 600k less than what I assume is the lowest end of the spectrum.

catch22
01-12-2019, 04:32 PM
While I’m not for certain what could cause their sudden interest, I assume that it would be them seeing OKC as a satellite market of DFW, just like AUS and SAT are. They are close enough to DFW to funnel a ton of connecting capacity, and drive brand loyalty from shear volume while capitalizing on that same loyalty by providing good connectivity from other hubs and now good nonstop service in the form of DCA.

catch22
01-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Regarding your other point, they are connecting the dots in a lot of cities right now. So it’s not just OKC. I think now that they are fully digested in the US/AA merger they have opportunities to really expand on the individual strengths of the combined network. It seems they have identified cities where they can add some growth. But OKC is an outlier in the amount of added service adjusted for the length of time they have done so. I wouldn’t be surprised to see larger airplanes on DFW (A321?) at some point soon as well as some continued frequency adds here and there. I wouldn’t be surprised to see MIA also.

HangryHippo
01-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Catch - What’s with the lack of connection to NYC? I keep hoping we’ll get a flight to LGA/JFK, but it never happens. Might AA add one of them? United doesn’t seem to think the market for EWR is very robust as it remains seasonal. It’s been a bit since I flew it, but I don’t remember that flight being timed very favorably either...?

catch22
01-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Catch - What’s with the lack of connection to NYC? I keep hoping we’ll get a flight to LGA/JFK, but it never happens. Might AA add one of them? United doesn’t seem to think the market for EWR is very robust as it remains seasonal. It’s been a bit since I flew it, but I don’t remember that flight being timed very favorably either...?

I could see either delta or American trying something to NY at some point. OKC isn’t getting any smaller and eventually you’ll hit the tipping point where marginal routes become an easier business case. We seem to be hitting that point in some regards.

no1cub17
01-13-2019, 08:13 AM

Oh my god, don't even get me started. It's absolutely disgusting what Dougie has done to AA, particularly AAdvantage, which is a shell of it's former self. It's strange - AA has done some things such as enhance f/b options in the ACs, but OTOH they're making their Y product literally the worst in the industry. It's bizarre. Maybe that's why AA's stock price continues to tank.

I just did a little math. AA had 22.8% market share in December, which equates to 989k passengers for a year (I'm sure I could have added up all their passengers for the year but I didn't take the time). Looking at the list of Admiral's Clubs on the AA website I thought Orange County looked like a good candidate for lowest AA traffic. It has 1.6 million annual AA passengers. So, still over 600k less than what I assume is the lowest end of the spectrum.

That is interesting indeed, thanks for posting that. I'd posted here before about not just an AC but about how I thought a shared lounge might work (like the Airspace lounge at SAN), and got shot down, LOL. But it's interesting to see those numbers. SNA has far more frequency and I'd imagine is far more higher yielding than OKC though. Not to mention the AC there serves passengers who use LAX as well. Pretty sure AA is the largest of the US3 in the LA basin now.

no1cub17
01-13-2019, 08:15 AM

What a damn shame - I didn't realize that was a Jeff special. As much as I hate Dougie, SMI/J may be literally the worst airline CEO in history, well other than James Hogan. I don't fly UA much but their award availability is infinitely better than AA's, and we've had a pleasant experience whenever we've flown them. Maybe time to status match!

DelCamino
01-13-2019, 09:21 AM

Catch22, I’m not familiar with the UA “closed OKC” story. Would you mind refreshing? Thanks.

catch22
01-13-2019, 09:30 AM
Catch22, I’m not familiar with the UA “closed OKC” story. Would you mind refreshing? Thanks.

OKC along with many other stations across the country were staffed and operated by United itself. United employees. In 2014 they outsourced 12 cities to contract vendors who have no affiliation to United. In March 2015 OKC joined a list that included 28 other cities that were also contracted out to the lowest bidder. Approximately 5,000 middle class jobswere displaced by vendors paying food stamp wages. Some people took an enhanced severance, others went on furlough, and some of us accepted transfers to other stations to keep our jobs.

The people working the ticket counter and loading your bags in OKC and many other cities across the country do not work for United, have no loyalty to United, and ultimately have no vested interest in whether you have a good experience or not. It’s entirely possible for you to fly out of OKC and not have a single interaction during your entire iteneray with someone who is a United employee.

DelCamino
01-13-2019, 09:33 AM
OKC along with many other stations across the country were staffed and operated by United itself. United employees. In 2014 they outsourced 12 cities to contract vendors who have no affiliation to United. In March 2015 OKC joined a list that included 28 other cities that were also contracted out to the lowest bidder. Approximately 5,000 middle class jobswere displaced by vendors paying food stamp wages. Some people took an enhanced severance, others went on furlough, and some of us accepted transfers to other stations to keep our jobs.

The people working the ticket counter and loading your bags in OKC and many other cities across the country do not work for United, have no loyalty to United, and ultimately have no vested interest in whether you have a good experience or not. It’s entirely possible for you to fly out of OKC and not have a single interaction during your entire iteneray with someone who is a United employee.

Got it - Thanks.

Uptowner
01-13-2019, 09:48 AM
United has some of the worst business practices and ethics in the country. The fact that their reward system is better only alludes to that statement. Sarcastically speaking, it says “hey, we’re slime but here’s a coupon to make you feel Justified for using a company that crushes the labor force, enjoy the miles!” I was most disgusted last year after they killed a passengers dog by forcing him, under threat of arrest, to place it in the overhead bin where it suffocated. And that ordeal where they urned performance based bonuses into a lottery for a cash, cars, and a vacation...on a F’ing plane!

HangryHippo
01-13-2019, 09:56 AM

And this can’t be undone/reversed?

Uptowner
01-13-2019, 10:00 AM
^^^ contracts usually come with, well contracts. A set number of years. And how does a company undo firing people, mugging people off overbooked flights, killing pets, and being a horror of customer service?

CloudDeckMedia
01-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Brian, thanks for sharing this. Can you also share some data for each airline's share of passengers, departures & gates in OKC?

CloudDeckMedia
01-13-2019, 10:06 AM
I just did a little math. AA had 22.8% market share in December, which equates to 989k passengers for a year (I'm sure I could have added up all their passengers for the year but I didn't take the time).

Brian, thanks for sharing this. Can you also share some data for each airline's share of passengers, departures & gates in OKC?

catch22
01-13-2019, 10:40 AM
And this can’t be undone/reversed?

While Oscar won’t touch current labor, they aren’t interested in opening up new work. Although our union contract does provide the ability to take that work over again if certain metrics are met.

HangryHippo
01-13-2019, 01:34 PM
While Oscar won’t touch current labor, they aren’t interested in opening up new work. Although our union contract does provide the ability to take that work over again if certain metrics are met.
Do you see that changing at some point and the union taking it back on?

catch22
01-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Do you see that changing at some point and the union taking it back on?

Probably not here, it requires a 35 flight per day average over any 90 day period. An example schedule that would get us there is: 10x daily IAH, 8x daily to ORD, 7x daily to DEN, 3x EWR, 4x SFO, and 3x IAD.

Highly unlikely :)

HangryHippo
01-13-2019, 02:00 PM
Probably not here, it requires a 35 flight per day average over any 90 day period. An example schedule that would get us there is: 10x daily IAH, 8x daily to ORD, 7x daily to DEN, 3x EWR, 4x SFO, and 3x IAD.

Highly unlikely :)
Wow. Yeah, unlikely. lol

HOT ROD
01-13-2019, 11:51 PM
just curious how many stations have United employees then? Can't be that many that have 35 flights a day on average. ...

Jeepnokc
01-14-2019, 08:07 AM

Who I noticed in the paper this weekend is hiring for ramp positions

BG918
01-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Allegiant now flies to VPS (Destin FL) from both OKC and TUL seasonally. The TUL flights start in June. The FL panhandle seems like a popular vacation spot for Oklahomans so it will probably do well. Allegiant is also the right airline/equipment for this flight. I would love to see them try New Orleans again.

catch22
01-15-2019, 03:39 PM
just curious how many stations have United employees then? Can't be that many that have 35 flights a day on average. ...

Keep in mind that is only what it takes to force an insourcing scenario, not what was a requirement for initial cut. Current mainline staffed outstations are: SEA, PDX, HNL, OGG, SAN, LAS, PHX, RNO, BIL, AUS, DFW, SNA, TUL, CLE, MCO, TPA, BOS, LGA, MSP, DTW, DCA.

HangryHippo
01-15-2019, 04:34 PM
TUL but not OKC? Interesting. How did they escape Smisek's knife?

catch22
01-15-2019, 05:00 PM
TUL but not OKC? Interesting. How did they escape Smisek's knife?

They voluntarily lowered their pay and relaxed some work rules. Oscar restored their pay and work rules consistent with the rest of the stations after he took over.