View Full Version : Rockwell and Hefner Intersection

Jim Kyle
09-25-2018, 09:54 AM
For a couple of weeks now, this intersection has been restricted to a 4-way stop, with its NE corner blocked for some heavy construction. Yesterday I visited the bank there, and the teller told me what has been going on. Seems that originally there was a gas leak needing repair, but when the crew excavated to the suspected problem they found things to be much more complicated! They've been working on untangling the mess and finally can address the original problem. No ETA for restoring full functionality to the intersection, though.

okatty
09-25-2018, 12:13 PM
Jim, it has been a MAJOR mess. I avoid that area at all costs now. Post office on Hefner west or Rockwell is easier to get to from Council even if you have to drive the mile line!

Thomas Vu
09-25-2018, 12:22 PM
Thank you for that answer!

Bill Robertson
09-25-2018, 12:46 PM
We normally go through that intersection a few times a day. We live just west of there. I’m almost glad I haven’t been driving for the last few weeks. My wife has been going out of her way to Council then north or south.

zachnash
09-26-2018, 07:53 AM
ONG has run into a lot of issues with the fix and are hoping to have the line work complete and start backfilling the 18 foot deep hole next week. The signal crews will then come in and start installing the new traffic signal footing and running all the conduit and wire. It is looking like three more weeks until the signals are back up and running.

OkiePoke
09-26-2018, 08:05 AM
I have been avoiding that intersection. A lot of people do not know how to go through a 4-way stop surprisingly, half my interactions have almost ended in wrecks.

Pipeline integrity work is a lot of fun... A hole that deep requires an stamped plan by a licensed engineer to prevent cave-ins. That isn't the quickest thing to get. Would be cool to get some pictures of what's actually going on down there.

Easy180
09-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Work right at this intersection so thankful for the explanation. I work an early shift so it’s not too bad for me but I was dying to know what the hell was taking so long.

OKC Guy
09-26-2018, 05:25 PM
Its been out for longer than 2 weeks, maybe 4 weeks ago it started. Can’t believe no alt source of power like a generator to run lights isn’t set up. It is nice in non rush hour times you can get through fast. But in rush its a mess due to the left turning lanes and you end up with standoffs where no one is moving out of fear lol.

Since we are here talking problems in the area it took me over 5 weeks to get city to cut the limbs blocking the southbound, south end, east side blinking school zone light south of Hefner on Council. Every year branches cover it up and every year I use the city app to report it before school starts. And every year it was signed off as completed and was not. So I have to get the job number and call it in. I first reported in early Aug and it took til just less than 2 weeks ago to fix. This was after 3 calls plis the online app submission. They even left the branches sitting in the grass right next to road.

Needless to say our growing city has major growing pains.

Jim Kyle
09-27-2018, 01:02 PM
They had to completely remove the traffic light pole on the NE corner, so a generator for the lights would not have helped anything. And I agree with you about the blocked school zone sign on Council -- but there's one on Rockwell, south of PC North, that's just as bad.

Jim Kyle
10-13-2018, 07:45 AM
For those who've avoided the intersection: the lights are working once again and traffic now moves smoothly. They're still working at the NE corner, but all traffic lanes seem to be clear most of the time.