View Full Version : R. Lee Ermey (1944-2018)

Eric
04-15-2018, 08:35 PM
R.I.P.

Laugh my ass of at him in Saving Silverman. I'm sure I should be embarrassed by this.

But of course he will most be remembered for his iconic role in Full Metal Jacket. Many quotable lines (NSFW of course).

Achilleslastand
04-15-2018, 09:32 PM
Well this is horrible news, Art Bell and now R Lee Ermey. The first 45 minutes of FMJ are the closest representation of USMC boot camp{for the most part} I have ever seen
RIP Devil Dog.........

Eric
04-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Well this is horrible news, Art Bell and now R Lee Ermey. The first 45 minutes of FMJ are the closest representation of USMC boot camp{for the most part} I have ever seen
RIP Devil Dog.........

He was in effect playing a role he had already played. He's been known to say that GySgt needed to be good comedians to be effective. Ironic.

poe
04-16-2018, 05:27 AM
I really liked him in Se7en.

Urbanized
04-17-2018, 05:48 AM
...The first 45 minutes of FMJ are the closest representation of USMC boot camp{for the most part} I have ever seen...

My uncle went through Marine boot camp on Parris Island during Vietnam and he said the on-screen depiction was virtually indistinguishable from his own experience.

Jersey Boss
04-17-2018, 03:26 PM
My uncle went through Marine boot camp on Parris Island during Vietnam and he said the on-screen depiction was virtually indistinguishable from his own experience.

I arrived at Parris Island in the fall of 1974 and your uncle was keeping it 100.

Achilleslastand
04-17-2018, 09:44 PM
He was in effect playing a role he had already played. He's been known to say that GySgt needed to be good comedians to be effective. Ironic.

Well that's mostly true, most of the DI's I have seen could easily have been part time comedians.

Achilleslastand
04-17-2018, 09:49 PM

I am sure it was, by the time the 80s rolled around they started to lighten up{a little} on getting more hands so to speak with the recruits. During the Korean war and before it wasn't uncommon for a recruit to be taken out back and given a old fashioned whooping.

Achilleslastand
04-17-2018, 09:51 PM
I arrived at Parris Island in the fall of 1974 and your uncle was keeping it 100.

I've heard horror stories about the sand fleas and humidity. Wasn't aware recruits this side of the Mississippi went to Parris Island rather than San Diego.

Jersey Boss
04-18-2018, 07:58 PM
I've heard horror stories about the sand fleas and humidity. Wasn't aware recruits this side of the Mississippi went to Parris Island rather than San Diego.
The stories of the sand fleas are true. It was a test of ones discipline to not swat at 'em when at attention or really anytime. The Di's instructed us that undisciplined movement could cost you and your fellow Marines your lives on the battlefield. As far as recruit training goes, I was inducted at the Newark NJ AFEES in the fall of 1974. My recruiter informed me that because I signed for 4 years of active duty I could choose either SD or PI. Everyone I knew, including some WW 2 Marine vets in the neighborhood that enlisted in the Marines went to PI. Even the movie THE DI starring Jack Webb was set in PI. In the end there really was no choice. To enlist in the toughest branch and to go the "Hollywood" Marine route would have left me with doubts and the derision of others. Yes I know the training requirements were the same, but not the mystique. Semper Fi.

Hollywood
05-13-2018, 04:04 PM

Dunno when it changed, but Oklahoma Recruits as well as all from west of the Mississippi go to MCRD in San Diego. We didn't have the sand fleas, but seeing the rest of the world enjoying their freedom from the windows of the barracks was a kick in the balls every night. Every plane that took off from the airport which shares a border with the depot left you dreaming of being on one and hating those on the plane in question.

Achilleslastand
05-16-2018, 12:55 AM
Dunno when it changed, but Oklahoma Recruits as well as all from west of the Mississippi go to MCRD in San Diego. We didn't have the sand fleas, but seeing the rest of the world enjoying their freedom from the windows of the barracks was a kick in the balls every night. Every plane that took off from the airport which shares a border with the depot left you dreaming of being on one and hating those on the plane in question.

I wanna know what you were doing awake once you hit your rack at MCRD? 9/10 times I was fast asleep within 5 minutes max of hitting the hay and usually slept soundly except for Firewatch and the occasional footlocker inspection @ 230am.

Bigrayokc
07-06-2018, 09:23 AM
R. Lee Ermey played a drill instructor in another Vietnam movie called "The Boys in Company C" before he was in "Full Metal Jacket". I auditioned for "Full Metal Jacket" at the Buttons Video Store at NW 63rd and May. They held open auditions in Fort Worth, OKC, and Kansas City.

Bigrayokc