View Full Version : Better Streets ($.01 sales tax)

Pete
01-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Press release;

Here is the first list of projects recommended by the advisory board:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/betterstreets013018.jpg

Better Streets, Safer City Advisory Board holds first meeting

The 11-member Better Streets, Safer City Advisory Board met Thursday for the first time, making its first recommendations to the Oklahoma City Council about new temporary sales tax projects.

The board will make recommendations for Council approval regarding priorities, timelines and other elements of the pay-as-you-go street, sidewalk and trail projects included in the temporary sales tax portion of the Better Streets, Safer City program.

Thursday’s actions included a recommendation to start work first on highly-traveled streets with the greatest need for improvements. The board recommended a list of 16 projects throughout Oklahoma City, using criteria to identify projects that will improve pavement conditions for the most possible drivers.

The City Council will consider the recommendations for approval, and the projects could begin as early as this spring.

The temporary penny sales tax took effect Jan. 1, 2018, after the MAPS 3 tax expired, and it’s expected to generate about $240 million over 27 months: $168 million for street resurfacing, $24 million for streetscapes, $24 million for sidewalks, $12 million for trails and $12 million for bicycle infrastructure.

The sales tax projects are joined by the other major Better Streets, Safer City initiatives: a 10-year, $967 million bond program (including $536 million for streets, bridges, sidewalks and traffic control), and a permanent ¼ cent sales tax for more police officers, more firefighters and day-to-day operations.

Also on Thursday, the board voted to meet on the first Monday of each month at 10 a.m. in Council Chambers on the third floor of City Hall, 200 N Walker Ave.

The next meeting is 10 a.m. Feb. 5. The board, its meetings and records are subject to the state Open Meetings Act and Open Records Act. Agendas and minutes are available at okc.gov/agenda.

The 11 board members are:

Hal McKnight, Chairman
Michael Taylor, Ward 1
Jamie Dunnington, Ward 2
Jeff Groves, Ward 3
Brooke McGowan, Ward 4
Jim Lehew, Ward 5
Brenda Campos Hernandez, Ward 6
Sandino Thompson, Ward 7
Don Noble, Ward 8
Steve Dixon, at-large
Jason Johnson, at-large

Members, appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council, serve three-year terms and are volunteers. City staff provides administrative and legal support.

City staff presents the board with agenda items related to prioritization, timelines, design, contracts and other matters.

The list of agenda items is based on needs throughout Oklahoma City.

The projects will help address street conditions, the perennial top priority of Oklahoma City residents in the Council’s annual resident survey. The result will be smooth and safe streets for drivers, on-street amenities for recreational and commuting cyclists, and streetscapes and trails.

NoOkie
01-30-2018, 01:10 PM
I was just griping about how bad the road surface on Rockwell was getting at NW Expressway.

GISinOK
01-30-2018, 01:38 PM
Here's a map for ya
https://i.imgur.com/mlfrqSV.png

Plutonic Panda
01-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Not complaining about better road surfaces but I sure hope this is more than a mere resurfacing. I did see where they said about bike and pedestrian infrastructure as well as streetscapes, but that’s pretty vague. If they’re already recommended specific streets, don’t they have some sort of idea what they’re going to do? I wish the city would clarify these things better. Especially with the new GoBond to include renderings and specifications of what they’re going to do.

Pete
01-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Not complaining about better road surfaces but I sure hope this is more than a mere resurfacing. I did see where they said about bike and pedestrian infrastructure as well as streetscapes, but that’s pretty vague. If they’re already recommended specific streets, don’t they have some sort of idea what they’re going to do? I wish the city would clarify these things better. Especially with the new GoBond to include renderings and specifications of what they’re going to do.

The chair of the advisory board is Hal McKnight who is a local bike shop owner, avid cyclist and has been the driving force behind a lot of the OKC bike trails. He has served in a similar capacity on the MAPS Trails subcommittee.

The trails group has a bigger plan for OKC that McKnight is spearheading so expect to see a lot more in the future.

As a part of this sales tax $24 million is for trails and bike infrastructure and and another $24 million is for sidewalks.

rte66man
01-30-2018, 07:52 PM
I'm really disappointed in their priority list. Makes me wonder if streets like NW 50th between I-44 and Portland and Portland from 50th to 63rd will be resurfaced in the next 10 years. :headscrat

jompster
01-31-2018, 02:50 PM
I'm really disappointed in their priority list. Makes me wonder if streets like NW 50th between I-44 and Portland and Portland from 50th to 63rd will be resurfaced in the next 10 years. :headscrat

Those sections of 50th needed it more than the stretch between May and Penn. That stretch is still smooth enough that I was able to admire the fall foliage a few months ago and not drive into a gaping hole. Maybe those who created this list should go drive down Portland between NWX and 23rd.

Anonymous.
01-31-2018, 03:01 PM
That stretch of Reno isn't even able to driven on over 10mph. And it is the lead-in to a thriving Farmers Market District.

bradh
01-31-2018, 08:29 PM
those are some solid choices, along with the ones already mentioned, that first 1/4 mile north of Hefner on MacArthur alone is bad enough that the whole stretch got chosen.

Pete
02-01-2018, 05:40 AM
That stretch of Reno isn't even able to driven on over 10mph. And it is the lead-in to a thriving Farmers Market District.

Yep, I was just down there last night, had forgotten about this list, and thought to myself how bad that stretch is.

onthestrip
02-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Lets not forget N. Western from 23 to 36. Really N. Western from I40 to 36.

Zuplar
02-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Honestly driving further into the City from my house all the roads with the exception of one are complete garbage, with numerous potholes and portions that have completely failed. Luckily I live close to Mustang, and since they are so tiny, most of their roads are decent. This is a start though.

TheTravellers
02-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Lets not forget N. Western from 23 to 36. Really N. Western from I40 to 36.

And from Wilshire N to at least Britton and maybe further, although that may be addressed by the bonds just voted on, not totally sure...

BLJR
02-02-2018, 10:47 AM
I just put $500 in suspension repairs on a truck that has 60K miles on it, and I don't abuse or offroad it. I have to think that the daily route driven has something to do with it. NW 50th between Penn and May??? C'mon man.... that is a 2 lane, lightly traveled, and it really isn't that bad comparatively.

rte66man
02-03-2018, 09:54 AM
Also NW 30th between Classen and Walker. I know they put curbs and sidewalks in about 10 years ago. The problem is with the enormous sections that have been torn up to fix pipes, sewers, etc. They need to plane off the rough pars and lay down new asphalt from curb to curb.

Plutonic Panda
02-04-2018, 01:21 AM
Also NW 30th between Classen and Walker. I know they put curbs and sidewalks in about 10 years ago. The problem is with the enormous sections that have been torn up to fix pipes, sewers, etc. They need to plane off the rough pars and lay down new asphalt from curb to curb.Or they could completely reconstruct the street in cement. Add the proper number of lanes. Install protected bike lanes. Bury the utility lines and add landscaping. They can do that, right? ;)

jompster
02-04-2018, 07:20 AM
Or they could completely reconstruct the street in cement. Add the proper number of lanes. Install protected bike lanes. Bury the utility lines and add landscaping. They can do that, right? ;)

They *could*, but we know that three weeks later they would tear a big hole in it to "fix" something and then fill it in with asphalt that isn't tall enough so that people drive into it and bust a tire, and then have to fill out one of those forms to submit to City of OKC Legal and dance around like a puppet while waiting for them to finally cut a check. Rinse and repeat.

pw405
02-04-2018, 09:50 AM

Lord.... 50th and Portland is complete trash. It always throws my car left/right in a manner that could actually make one lose control in wet or icy conditions. I actually drive slightly off-center to avoid the gully.

gopokes88
02-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Or they could completely reconstruct the street in cement. Add the proper number of lanes. Install protected bike lanes. Bury the utility lines and add landscaping. They can do that, right? ;)

Would it kill you not to be so pretentious on this board for like just one day?

LocoAko
02-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Lord.... 50th and Portland is complete trash. It always throws my car left/right in a manner that could actually make one lose control in wet or icy conditions. I actually drive slightly off-center to avoid the gully.

Same. And it's seemingly worse the slower you drive over it.

Pete
05-30-2018, 10:34 AM
The first of these projects have started as part of the Better Streets, Safer City initiative.

This is NW 50th west of Penn:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/betterstreets052818.jpg

Thomas Vu
05-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Thank you for posting progress pictures! I forgot this was a thing and it's nice to see results.

LakeEffect
05-30-2018, 01:13 PM
Do you know what the treatment on NW 50th is to be? Resurface? Widen?

shawnw
05-30-2018, 02:05 PM
I thought they were starting with the very worst streets first. 50th doesn't strike me as particularly bad. Just drove on it yesterday.

shawnw
05-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Let me clarify, the stretch between May and Penn that is coned off doesn't strike me as bad. 50th/Portland is another story.

Pete
05-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Let me clarify, the stretch between May and Penn that is coned off doesn't strike me as bad. 50th/Portland is another story.

It wasn't that bad. I drive it almost every day and agree about 50th to the west.

However, the streets were given priority in each ward by a rep appointed by the city councilmember of that ward.

I suspect they'll get to that other part of 50th; this is just being done first for some reason.

LakeEffect
05-30-2018, 03:18 PM
It wasn't that bad. I drive it almost every day and agree about 50th to the west.

However, the streets were given priority in each ward by a rep appointed by the city councilmember of that ward.

I suspect they'll get to that other part of 50th; this is just being done first for some reason.

Also, the level of treatment needed may portend a different means to that end. This section may just need a mill and overlay, which is less expensive and extends life another 15-ish years. The really bad stretches may need complete removal and replacement, which is more expensive and requires more upfront design work. A replacement would then last 25-ish years (hopefully).

Pete
06-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Bad start for this project...

NW 50th between Penn and May has been 1-way for a couple of weeks now and they have barely done anything and today -- in the middle of the morning -- I didn't see one worker out there in that entire stretch.

TheTravellers
06-13-2018, 03:27 PM

NW 50th between Penn and May has been 1-way for a couple of weeks now and they have barely done anything and today -- in the middle of the morning -- I didn't see one worker out there in that entire stretch.

We go by there weekly or so, and thought that the one-way direction/lane closures had switched sides/changed up a couple of times, thought they had done something of note by now, but guess not...

Timshel
06-13-2018, 03:29 PM

Hah yeah I drive by this stretch every day and haven't seen a single worker yet. And the closure has been horribly backing up the 50th St. eastbound lane at May, which already backs up pretty badly at rush hour.

Pete
06-13-2018, 03:46 PM
We go by there weekly or so, and thought that the one-way direction/lane closures had switched sides/changed up a couple of times, thought they had done something of note by now, but guess not...

Nope, it's been one lane and west only for a while now.

Today, I almost had someone hit me head-on going the wrong way. It's confusing at best.

WitWhy
06-14-2018, 01:57 AM
typical for oklahoma road construction

LocoAko
06-15-2018, 08:21 AM
Mayor Holt is claiming that their equipment broke and will resume on Monday. https://twitter.com/davidfholt/status/1007622129247014913

BLJR
06-15-2018, 01:08 PM
50th Street between May and Penn should have been much much lower on the priority list!!! On a positive note, the blacktop on I-40 between Meridian and Portland is a remarkable improvement. Timeline was horrible, but at least its better!!!

Pete
06-20-2018, 03:06 PM
They have been going full-bore on NW 50th this week.

shawnw
06-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Yeah I made the mistake of forgetting about this and taking 50th to May for lunch and that was a disaster. The turn arrow is so short it took me 3-4 lights to get through that intersection... while sitting there for a long time I noticed they were in fact working on 50th actively.

zefferoni
06-21-2018, 07:02 AM
I don't know if it's part of Better Streets, but they've been doing some work at SW 29th and Shields. Right now it's just a curb cut in the median and the edges of the street, but it looks like a sidewalk will be put in down along Shields.

SEMIweather
06-23-2018, 10:14 PM
I don't know if it's part of Better Streets, but they've been doing some work at SW 29th and Shields. Right now it's just a curb cut in the median and the edges of the street, but it looks like a sidewalk will be put in down along Shields.

Does anyone know if Walker between SW 44th and SW 59th was part of this project? If it was, that's already done, and was definitely one of the most necessary streets to repair in the entire Metro.

Pete
10-04-2018, 03:51 PM
https://data.okc.gov/portal/custom/viewer?datasetName=Better%20Streets%20Safer%20City %20Summary&view=betterstreetssafercity

Better Streets Safer City Program Summary and Project Status

In 2017, the voters of Oklahoma City approved an unprecedented investment in streets, traffic infrastructure and sidewalks along streets. This initiative, known as Better Streets, Safer City was funded by the approval of a bond issue that is expected to sell bonds for the next decade and a one-cent sales tax that will be collected through March of 2020. The initiative is expected to provide a total of $766,580,000 dollars for streets, traffic infrastructure, trails and sidewalks along streets.

Projects Completed

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 150th Street between N. Henney Road and Choctaw Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 164th Street between Douglas Blvd and Post Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 104th St from S Rockwell Ave to S MacArthur Blvd

Projects Underway

Intersection Improvements: Broadway Extension and NE 122 St

Intersection Improvements: Highland Park Boulevard and N Pennsylvania Avenue

Intersection Improvements: S Eastern Avenue and SE 89 Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Sara Road from Memorial Road to NW 150th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 178th Street from Indian Meridian to Triple X Road

Arterial Resurfacing: Wilshire Blvd, Spencer Jones Rd east to City Limit

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 29th Street from Western Avenue to Shields Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 29th Street from Western Avenue to Pennsylvania Avenue

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 44th Street between Frisco Road & Richland Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 119th Street between Meridian Avenue and Rockwell Avenue

Arterial Resurfacing: Portland Avenue from NW 39th Street to NW 50th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: N MLK Ave from NE 23rd St to NE 36th St

Arterial Resurfacing: W Reno Ave (Westbound) from N Portland to N Meridian Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: S Peebly Rd from SE 74th St to SE 59th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 44th St from S Hiwassee Rd to S Henney Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 63rd St from N Midwest Blvd to N Douglas Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 122nd St from N Douglas Blvd to N Post Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 122nd St from N Air Depot Blvd to Midwest Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: N Sooner Rd from E Britton Rd to E Hefner Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 89th St from S Western Ave to S Santa Fe Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N Pennsylvania Ave from NW 122nd St to Memorial Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 36th St from N Pennsylvania Ave to N Western Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: W Reno Ave from N Western Ave to N Pennsylvania Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 50th St from N May Ave to N Pennsylvania Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: W Wilshire Blvd from Elmwood Ave to N May Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: S Portland Ave from SW 44th St to SW 29th St

Arterial Resurfacing: W Reno Ave (Eastbound) from N Meridian Ave to N Portland Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N MacArthur Blvd from W Hefner Rd to NW 122nd St

Arterial Resurfacing: N Cemetary Rd from W Wilshire Blvd to W Britton Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 16th St from Eagle Ln to Rockwell Ave

Residential Resurfacing: Area Bound by SE 59th, Harrah Rd, Katy St and Old Town St

Residential Resurfacing: SW 44th and Cemetary Rd - Gemstone Acres

Residential Resurfacing: Turtle Lake - SE 149th St and Sooner Rd.

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by N Cemetery Rd, N Czech Hall Rd, W Reno Ave and NW 10th St

Residential Resurfacing: Area bounded by Reno, NW 10th, Pennsylvania and N Western Ave

Street Enhancements: Bike lanes W. Britton Rd to SW 104th along Walker and Shartel; Council to I-35 along SW 16th and SW 19th St

Street Enhancements: Portland from NW 10th to NW 23rd

Widening: SW 15th Street from Mustang Road to John Kilpatrick TPK

Widening: Sara Road from SW 29th Street to SW 44th Street (ODOT/OTA Agreement)

Widening: Sara Road between SW 15th Street and SW 29th Street

Widening: Sara Road from SW 44th Street to SW 59th Street (ODOT/OTA Agreement)

Widening: SW 59th St from County Line Rd to Hwy 152

Widening: Intersection of N Pennsylvania Ave and W Memorial Rd

Projects Planned

Trails: Trail improvements along the S Grand Blvd Trail from the Oklahoma River and I-44 to E Reno near I-40

Trails: Trail from Agnew across the Oklahoma River on abandoned rail

Trails: NW Expressway and Wilshire Blvd

Trails: Greenway extending from Harvey and NW 22nd to NW 37th and Francis by following natural water features as possible

Trails: 119th from May to Chelsea Chase

Trails: Deep Fork Trail - Phase 3

Trails: Lake Hefner Trail

Intersection Improvements: N Council Rd and NW 82nd St

Intersection Improvements: N Rockwell Ave & NW Expressway

Intersection Improvements: Widen N Rockwell Avenue for left turn lanes at NW 112 Street

Intersection Improvements: S Portland Avenue and SW 119 Street

Intersection Improvements: N Council Road and NW 113 Street

Intersection Improvements: Kingsgate Drive and SW 119 Street

Intersection Improvements: N Hudson Avenue and W Britton Road

Intersection Improvements: S Miller Avenue and SW 59 Street

Intersection Improvements: N Independence Avenue and NW Expressway

Intersection Improvements: S Sooner Road at Embers Drive/SE 48 Street

Intersection Improvements: NW 63 Street at N Villa Avenue

Intersection Improvements: W Hefner Road at Basswood Canyon Road

Intersection Improvements: S Pennsylvania Avenue at Shadowlake Drive

Intersection Improvements: Sara Road and SW 29th Street

Intersection Improvements: N County Line Road and NW Expressway

Intersection Improvements: NW 36th St and Walker Ave

Intersection Improvements: Intersection of N Pennsylvania Ave, NW 10th St and Virginia Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: Newcastle Road from Council to Meridian

Arterial Resurfacing: Frisco Road from Hefner Road to NW 122nd Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Frisco Road from Memorial Road to NW 150th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Rockwell Avenue from NW 150th Street to NW 164th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Sara Road from NW 23rd Street to NW 36th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Bryant Avenue from SE 89th Street to SE 104th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Sunnylane Road from SE 104th Street to SE 119th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 29th Street from Shields Boulevard to I-35

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 89th Street from Bryant Avenue to Sunnylane Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 89th Street from Eastern Avenue to Bryant Avenue

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 119th Street from Czech Hall Road to Cemetery Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 119th Street from Mustang Road to Czech Hall Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 29th Street from Cimarron Road to Gregory Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 29th Street from Council Road to County Line Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 29th Street from County Line Road to Morgan Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 29th Street from Rockwell avenue to Council Road

Arterial Resurfacing: Reno Avenue from Frisco Road to Richland Road

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 50th St, from Tulsa east to I-44

Arterial Resurfacing: Morgan Road from Britton Road to Hefner Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 104th Street from Penn Avenue to Western Avenue

Arterial Resurfacing: S Czech Hall Road from SW 29th Street and SW 44th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: S Walker Avenue from SW 74th Street and SW 89th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 63rd Street from N. Western Avenue to Broadway Extension

Arterial Resurfacing: Agnew Avenue from SW 44th Street to SW 29th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 59th Street from Council Road to County Line Road

Arterial Resurfacing: Shields Blvd. from SE 25th Street to SE 29th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 25th Street from Walker Avenue to Western Avenue

Arterial Resurfacing: Portland Avenue from SW 119th Street to SW 134th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 74th Street from Hiwassee Road to Henney Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 74th Street between Henney Road and Jesse Trail

Arterial Resurfacing: Harrah Road from SE 89th Street to SE 104th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Harrah Road from SE 104th street to SE 119th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 63rd Street between Air Depot Blvd. to Midwest Blvd.

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 63rd Street between Bryant Ave and Air Depot Blvd.

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 74th Street from Post Road to Westminster Road

Arterial Resurfacing: Gregroy Road from SW 59th Street to SW 74th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Wilshire Blvd from Olie Ave to Broadway Ext

Arterial Resurfacing: County Line Road between NW 150th Street to NW 164th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: N. Meridian Avenue from NW 122nd Street to Hefner Road

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 164th Street from Western Avenue to City Limits

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 23rd Street from Sara Rd to E. Overholser Drive

Arterial Resurfacing: Rockwell Avenue between W Hefner Rd to NW 122nd St

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 122nd Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and Western Avenue

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 104th Street between May Avenue and I-44

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 104th Street between Rockwell Avenue and Council Road

Arterial Resurfacing: County Line Road between Hefner Road to NW 122nd Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Meridian Avenue between NW 122nd Street to Memorial Road

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 10th Street between Byant Ave. and MLK Ave.

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 29th Street, Mustang Road to Morgan Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 44th Street, Sara Road to Frisco Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 74th St from Rockwell Ave to Council Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 89th Street, Council Road to County Line Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 119th Street, I-44 to Meridian Avenue

Arterial Resurfacing: Cimarron Road, SW 74th Street to SW 15th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Morgan Road, SW 44th Street to SW 59th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: Richland Road, SW 44th Street to SW 59th Street

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 36th Street, Lincoln to I-35

Arterial Resurfacing: Richland Road, SW 15th Street to Reno Avenue

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 89th Street from Luther Road to Dobbs Road

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 74th St from Regina Ave to MacArthur Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: N MLK Ave from NE 10th St to NE 23rd St

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 89th St from Dobbs Rd to Harrah Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: N Villa Ave from NW 16th to NW 23rd St

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 59th St from S May to SW 54th St

Arterial Resurfacing: W Reno Ave from S Portland to S May Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: W Reno Ave (Eastbound) from N Rockwell to N MacArthur Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: W Reno Ave (Westbound) from N Rockwell to N MacArthur Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 23rd St from N Western to I-235

Arterial Resurfacing: S Walker Ave from SW 29th to Oklahoma River

Arterial Resurfacing: W Britton Rd from N Western to I-235

Arterial Resurfacing: N Western Ave from N Classen Blvd to NW 18th St

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 63rd St from N Santa Fe Ave to N Kelley Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: W Memorial Rd (Eastbound) from N Meridian to Lake Hefner Parkway

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 44th St from S High Ave to S Eastern Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: W Memorial Rd (Westbound) from N Meridian Ave to Lake Hefner Parkway

Arterial Resurfacing: W Memorial Rd (Westbound) from N MacArthur Blvd to N Meridian Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: W Memorial Rd (Eastbound) from Lake Hefner Parkway to N May Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: W Memorial Rd (Westbound) from Lake Hefner Parkway to N May Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: W Memorial Rd (Eastbound) from N May Ave to N Penn Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N Rockwell Ave from W Britton Road to W Hefner Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: S Harrah Rd from SE 89th St to I-40

Arterial Resurfacing: S Peebly Rd from SE 59th St to SE 44th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 104th St from S Indian Meridian to S Triple X Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 104th St from S Henney Rd to S Choctaw Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 104th St from S Hiwassee Rd to S Henney Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 44th St from S Anderson Rd to S Hiwassee Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: S Post Rd from SE 44th St to SE 29th St

Arterial Resurfacing: S Post Rd from SE 59th St to SE 44th St

Arterial Resurfacing: S Douglas Blvd from SE 59th St to SE 44th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 44th St from S Douglas Blvd to S Post Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: S Douglas Blvd from SE 74th St to SE 59th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 89th St from S Sunnylane Rd to S Sooner Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: W Memorial Rd (Eastbound) from N MacArthur Blvd to N Meridian Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 63rd St from N Bryant Ave to 1200' E of N MLK Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 44th St from S Eastern Ave to S Bryant Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 63rd St from N Kelley Ave to N Martin Luther King Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: S High Ave from SE 59th St to SE 44th St

Arterial Resurfacing: S Santa Fe Ave from SW 44th St to SW 29th St

Arterial Resurfacing: N I-35 Service Rd (Northbound) from NE 23rd St to NE 36th St

Arterial Resurfacing: N Sooner Rd from NE 63rd St to E Wilshire Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: N I-35 Service Rd (Southbound) from NE 29th St to NE 36th St

Arterial Resurfacing: N MLK Blvd from NE 4th St to NE 10th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 44th St from S Santa Fe Ave to S High Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: SE 59th St from S Santa Fe Ave to S High Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: S Santa Fe Ave from SE 89th St to I-240

Arterial Resurfacing: S Santa Fe Ave from SW 104th St to SW 89th St

Arterial Resurfacing: N Western Ave from W Hefner Rd to NW 122nd St

Arterial Resurfacing: N Western Ave from W Wilshire Blvd to W Britton Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: N Western Ave from NW 23rd St to NW 36th St

Arterial Resurfacing: N Classen Blvd from NW 10th St to NW 16th St

Arterial Resurfacing: S Walker Ave from SW 44th St to SW 29th St

Arterial Resurfacing: S Walker Ave from SW 59th St to SW 44th St

Arterial Resurfacing: S Walker Ave from I-240 to SW 59th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 104th St from S Western Ave to S Santa Fe Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N Pennsylvania Ave from NW 23rd St to NW 36th St

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 23rd St from N Pennsylvania Ave to N Western Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N Pennsylvania Ave from NW 10th St to NW 23rd St

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 59th St from S Pennsylvania Ave to S Western Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 25th St from S Western Ave to S Pennsylvania Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N May Ave from Memorial Rd to NW 150th St

Arterial Resurfacing: W Memorial Rd (Westbound) from N Pennsylvania Ave to N May Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N May Ave from NW 63rd St to W Wilshire Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: W Reno Ave from N May Ave to N Pennsylvania Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: S May Ave from SW 59th St to SW 44th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 59th St from S May Ave to S Pennsylvania Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 23rd St from N May Ave to N Pennsylvania Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 192nd St from N Portland Ave to N May Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N Portland Ave from NW 36th St to NW 50th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 29th St from RR tracks to S May Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: S Portland Ave from SW 104th St to I-44 Service Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: W Hefner Rd from N Meridian Ave to N Portland Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 122nd St from N Meridian Ave to N Portland Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N Meridian Ave from NW 63rd St to NW Expressway

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 50th St from N Independance Ave to N May Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 104th St from S May Ave to S Pennsylvania Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 50th St from N Meridian Ave to N Tulsa Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N MacArthur Blvd from NW 122nd St to Memorial Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 122nd St from N MacArthur Blvd to N Meridian Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: W Hefner Rd from N MacArthur Blvd to N Meridian Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: N MacArthur Blvd from W Wilshire Blvd to W Britton Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: W Hefner Rd from N Rockwell Ave to N MacArthur Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: N Rockwell Ave from W Wilshire Blvd to W Britton Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: W Hefner Rd from N Council Rd to N Rockwell Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: S Council Rd from SW 8th St to W Reno Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: S Council Rd from SW 89th St to SW 74th St

Arterial Resurfacing: S Council Rd from SW 104th St to SW 89th St

Arterial Resurfacing: N County Line Rd from W Britton Rd to W Hefner Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: S Morgan Rd from SW 104th St to SW 89th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 104th St from N Morgan Rd to S County Line Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: N Coltrane Rd from NE 63rd St to E Wilshire Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: W Britton Rd from Piedmont Rd (Hwy 4) to N Mustang Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: W Memorial Rd from N Morgan Rd to dead end

Arterial Resurfacing: N Kelley Ave from Memorial Rd to city limit

Arterial Resurfacing: E Memorial Rd from N Kelley Ave to N Eastern Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NE 122nd St from N Sooner Rd to N Air Depot Blvd

Arterial Resurfacing: N Kelley Ave from NE 50th St to NE 63rd St

Arterial Resurfacing: N Western Ave from W Britton Rd to W Hefner Rd

Arterial Resurfacing: N Western Ave from NW 50th St to NW 63rd St

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 4th St from N Western Ave to N Broadway Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 10th St from Independence Ave to N Villa Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: S Harrah Rd from SE 149th St to SE 134th St

Arterial Resurfacing: SW 59th St from S Western Ave to S Walker Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: I-240 Service Rd from S Penn Ave to S Western Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: S Morgan Rd from SW 44th St to SW 59th St

Arterial Resurfacing: S Mustang Rd from SW 104th St to SW 89th St

Arterial Resurfacing: N Ann Arbor from NW 23rd St to NW 36th St

Arterial Resurfacing: N Ann Arbor from NW 23rd St to NW 36th St

Arterial Resurfacing: N Pennsylvania Ave from Memorial Rd to NW 150th St

Arterial Resurfacing: S Air Depot Blvd from SE 149th to SE 164th St

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 30th St from Pennsylvania Ave to May Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 16th St from N Pennsylvania Ave to N May Ave

Arterial Resurfacing: NW 16th St from N May Ave to N Portland Ave

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by NW 36th, Pennsylvania, NW Expwy and Classen Blvd.

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by Rockwell, Council, NW 122nd and Hefner Rd

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by S May, Pennsylvania, SW 59th and I-240

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by Western, Broadway, Britton, and Hefner Rd

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by High, Santa Fe, SE Grand and SE 29th St.

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by NW 50th, I-44, May and Hefner Parkway

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by Western, Pennsylvania, SW 44th and SW 29th St

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by May, I-44, SW 89th and SW 104th St

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by Pennsylvania, Western, 164th and 178th St

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by May, Pennsylvania, SW 29th and SW 44th St

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by May, Portland, SW 29th, and SW 15th

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by NE 10th, NE 23rd, MLK and I-35

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by Pennsylvania, Western, SW 119th and SW 104th

Residential Resurfacing: The Landing - SE 104th St and Harrah Rd.

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by Kelley Ave, MLK, NE 23rd St, and NE 36th St

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by Kelley Ave, MLK, NE 36th St, and NE 50th St

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by N Santa Fe Ave, N Kelley Ave, NW 50th St and NW 36th St

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by S Western, SW 29th, Shields and Oklahoma River

Residential Resurfacing: Area bound by I-44, W Reno, N May and NW 10th St

Street Enhancements: NE 10th St and Martin Luther King Dr.

Street Enhancements: Intersection at Linwood/NW 6th & Western

Street Enhancements: NW 23rd Street from Western Ave to Broadway Ave

Street Enhancements: Main & Western

Street Enhancements: NW 10th & Penn/Virginia

Street Enhancements: Rockwell from NW 10th to NW 16th

Street Enhancements: The area from Robinson to Western on and around SW 29th St.

Street Enhancements: The area from Western to Penn on and around SW 29th St.

Street Enhancements: The area from Penn to May on and around SW 29th St.

Street Enhancements: Western Ave from NW 14th to I-40

Street Enhancements: Classen from Sheridan Ave to NW 10th

Street Enhancements: Portland from Reno to NW 10th

Street Enhancements: NW 10th from Portland to Meridian

Street Enhancements: NW 10th from Meridian to MacArthur

Widening: S Harrah Rd from I-40 north to city limits

Widening: SW 15th Street, Czech Hall Road to Mustang Road

Widening: Czech Hall Road, Reno Avenue to SW 15th Street

Widening: SW 59th St from S Council Rd to S Rockwell Ave

Widening: N Cemetery Rd from W Reno Ave to NW 10th St

Widening: SW 149th St from S Western Ave to S Santa Fe Ave

Widening: SW 149th St from S Pennsylvania Ave to S Western Ave

Widening: SW 149th St from S May Ave to S Pennsylvania Ave

Widening: N Rockwell Ave from W Memorial Rd to NW 150th St

Widening: SW 29th St from S Rockwell Ave to S MacArthur Blvd

Widening: SW 8th St from S MacArthur Blvd to Peniel Ave

Sidewalks: Along S Pennsylvania between SW 49th St. and SW 59th St.; along SW 59th St. from S. Villa Ave. to S. Blackwelder Ave.

Sidewalks: Along N. Pennsylvania Ave. from NW 36th St. to NW 10th St.; along NW 23rd St. from N. Villa Ave. to N. Western Ave.

Sidewalks: Along N. May Ave. from N. Grand Blvd. to NW 47th St.; NW 63rd St. from N. Warren Ave. to N. Villa Ave.

Sidewalks: Along N. Classen Ave. from NW 13th St. to NW 48th St.; In the Asian District between N. Blackwelder Ave. and N. Shartel Ave., NW 30th St. and NW 25th St.

Sidewalks: Along SW 59th St. from S. Blackwelder Ave. to S. Santa Fe Ave.; On S. Western Ave. from SW 59th St. to SW 62nd St.; On S. Walker Ave. from SW 59th St. to SW 62nd St.

Sidewalks: N. Portland Ave. from NW 63rd St. to NW 50th St.; NW 50th St. from N. Portland Ave to N. Villa Ave.

Sidewalks: S. Western Ave., S. Walker Ave., S. Harvey Ave. and S. Robinson Ave. from SW 29th St. to SW Grand Blvd.

Sidewalks: S. Blackwelder Ave. from SW Grand Blvd to SW 59th St.; S. Western Ave. from SW Grand Blvd. to SW 59th St.; SW 44th St. from S. Blackwedler Ave. to S. Western Ave.

Sidewalks: Within 1/4 mile of NW 117th and Rockwell

Sidewalks: SW 29TH ST & S MAY AVE

Sidewalks: In the area bounded by NE 23rd St., N. MLK Ave., NE 8th St., and N. Lottie Ave.

Sidewalks: In the area bounded by NE 23rd St., N. Lottie Ave., NE 13th St., and N. Lincoln Blvd.

Sidewalks: In the area bounded by SW Grand Blvd., S. Blackwelder Ave., SW 49th St., and S. Villa Ave.

Sidewalks: Along S. Walker Ave. from S. Grand Blvd. to SW 59th St.; along SW 44th St. from S. Western Ave. to S. Santa Fe Ave.; along S. Robinson Ave. from SW Grand Blvd. to SW 44th St.

Sidewalks: NW 140TH ST & N PENNSYLVANIA AVE

Sidewalks: In the area bounded by the Oklahoma River, S. Central Ave., SW 29th St., and S. Western Ave.

Sidewalks: Along S. Pennsylvania Ave. from SW 29th St. to SW Grand Blvd.; Along S. Blackwelder Ave. from SW 29th St. to SW Grand Blvd.; Surrounding Heronville ES

Sidewalks: In the area bounded by and including NW 36th St., N. Classen Blvd., NW 10th St. and N. Villa Ave.

Sidewalks: N Ann Arbor from NW 23rd St to NW 36th St

Sidewalks: N Portland Ave between N Reno Ave and NW 10th St

Remaining Proceeds

In addition to the above, there is an estimated $319,785,171 that has not yet been associated with a specific project. Based on future needs and the recommendation and approval of the Bond Advisory Commitee, the Community and Neighborhood Enhancement Advisory Board and the Mayor and Council, additional projects will be added to the list as they are identified and approved.

Below is a link to an interactive map showing the location of these projects:

Better Streets Safer City Summary Map

Glossary of Terms

Bond Advisory Committee: nine-member committee, composed of one member from each ward and one at-large member, hears requests for major reallocations of bond monies in general bond funds and makes recommendations to the Council.

Community and Neighborhood Enhancement Advisory Board (CNEAB): eleven-member appointed committee, oversees the street, sidewalk and trail projects included in the Better Streets, Safer City sales tax initiative.

Arterial: is a high-capacity road whose primary function is to deliver traffic from collector (residential) roads to other arterial roadways or freeways.

Intersection Improvements: improvements may include replacement of traffic control equipment, materials and/or technology improvements.

Street Enhancements: improvements may include landscape, amenities such as benches and/or trash receptacles, lighting and sidewalks.

Sidewalk: constructed from concrete to include ADA ramps and tactile domes.

Trail: typically, wider than a sidewalk and constructed from asphalt.

Widening: improvements include increasing the roadway width from 2 to 4 lanes.

baralheia
10-04-2018, 05:47 PM
That's an interesting list... Some of the projects listed were already done, like Arterial Resurfacing: S Walker Ave from SW 59th St to SW 44th St. This was completed a month or two ago and it is SO MUCH BETTER than it was before. Unless they're expecting to redo it again soon for some reason? Do we know how current that list is?

Pete
10-04-2018, 05:50 PM
That's an interesting list... Some of the projects listed were already done, like Arterial Resurfacing: S Walker Ave from SW 59th St to SW 44th St. This was completed a month or two ago and it is SO MUCH BETTER than it was before. Unless they're expecting to redo it again soon for some reason? Do we know how current that list is?

You can see it has not been updated in a while because it still lists NW 50th between Penn & May as being under construction and that work was finished a few months ago.

Thomas Vu
10-04-2018, 06:35 PM
That is a lot of streets listed.

SEMIweather
10-04-2018, 10:23 PM
That is a lot of streets listed.

Really wish that NW 30th between Western & Blackwelder was one of them...

shawnw
10-04-2018, 11:50 PM
Really wish that NW 30th between Western & Blackwelder was one of them...

contact your councilperson. and get your neighbors to do the same. even with such a long list lots of money not yet allocated.

shawnw
10-04-2018, 11:51 PM

The started some of the would be bond projects with sales tax money since they get a monthly check for that vs having to wait for bonds to sell.

David
10-05-2018, 07:40 AM
I saw that list introduced and explained last night in a long twitter thread by Mayor Holt: https://twitter.com/davidfholt/status/1047956361940754433

Re: Street repairs in OKC (thread)

There is no question that the topic I hear the most about as Mayor is that of street repairs. And our recent citizen survey supports that anecdotal observation. Our citizens wants better streets.

The reason we as a city struggle with streets is the result of a simple formula. 1) We have one of the largest cities by land mass in the US (620+ square miles). Compare that to Boston, which has almost the exact same population but across only 90 square miles).

That disparity in land mass between OKC and other cities means each citizen of OKC bears a greater burden to somehow fund through their tax dollars more lane miles than their fellow citizens in other cities.

2) We typically fund street maintenance through property taxes. Among other reasons, we do this because in Oklahoma we are the only state in the US that doesn’t allow cities to use property tax for any city operations. So we use it to fund infrastructure.

Of course, our property taxes fund other things as well - a slice goes schools, county government, libraries, health department, etc. OKC just gets one of those slices. And the voters approve it every decade or so through a bond issue vote of the people.

3) The third and final part of the formula that explains why OKC streets often fall below expectations is that Oklahomans generally pay some of the lowest property taxes in the country. So, take those three things and put them together...

... low property taxes, we fund streets through property taxes, and we have a massive city with far more lane miles than other cities. So guess how that is going to work out? Not well.

Recognizing this, the Mayor and Council of 2017 put before the voters the Better Streets, Safer City initiative. This combined the usual bond issue / property tax funding with a new revenue stream: sales tax.

A 1-cent sales tax would pick up where the @Maps3 sales tax ended. It would be temporary & would last for 27 months. Between the two funding methods, it would provide a massive investment in street repairs, traffic infrastructure, trails & sidewalks. In fact, it totals $767M.

The voters of OKC endorsed that plan in Sept 2017, the sales tax started Jan 1 of this year, & work has been underway ever since. The broadest overview of Better Streets, Safer City is available at http://OKC.gov/bettersafer . You might even notice signs around town with the brand.

Digression: The “Safer City” component of the initiative was a separate sales tax vote that also passed on that day in Sept 2017 that is funding 120+ new @OKCPD officers and fire protection upgrades as well.

I find that citizen awareness of Better Streets, Safer City is low & a poll question we asked in our recent citizen survey supported that observation. So, since I took office I’ve been working with staff to create a user-friendly list of street projects that anyone could digest.

There are so many street projects coming out of this remarkable commitment of funding that it can be overwhelming & the magnitude can be overlooked. So, I wanted them in one place that people could easily review, both to understand the magnitude but also to look for your street.

I can now debut the list. Here it is, the complete list of OKC street projects completed, started or slated to start, as well as a glossary of terms & the amount of money yet to be allocated. I will continue to share this list regularly. Enjoy! https://data.okc.gov/portal/custom/viewer?datasetName=Better%20Streets%20Safer%20City %20Summary&view=betterstreetssafercity

GoThunder
11-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Will be interesting to see if/how much we improve on this list once this project is complete.

SEMIweather
11-16-2018, 06:06 PM
This program is worth it just for the fact that they are finally fixing the major drainage issues at the NW 36th & Western intersection. Can't wait to see the improvements once that project finishes up.

rte66man
11-16-2018, 09:41 PM
How do I get more details on a particular project? "Intersection improvements" can mean a lot of different things.

Plutonic Panda
11-16-2018, 09:46 PM
How do I get more details on a particular project? "Intersection improvements" can mean a lot of different things.

Tell me about it. It would be nice see specifics listed without having to contact them directly about it.

TheTravellers
11-17-2018, 10:16 AM
This program is worth it just for the fact that they are finally fixing the major drainage issues at the NW 36th & Western intersection. Can't wait to see the improvements once that project finishes up.

Ah, so that's what it's for, went by last night and had no idea, didn't seem like it needed repaving, thx for the clue.

SEMIweather
11-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Ah, so that's what it's for, went by last night and had no idea, didn't seem like it needed repaving, thx for the clue.

I'm not 100% certain, but that's what I'm assuming. They've torn up the north side of the road and appear to have put in new pipes. Once they're done, I figure they'll do the same to the south side of the road. This intersection always seems to have some amount of water even on sunny days, and it can get hazardous on cold winter mornings. Happy that they finally appear to be fixing it.

Laramie
11-28-2018, 11:19 AM
Has anyone noticed Reno Avenue west from Portland Avenue toward the Outlet Mall; they have begun to shred the top layers of asphalt. It has created some caution for drivers in that area.

OKCbyTRANSFER
11-28-2018, 10:06 PM
It's like Playing dodge ball with the raised surfaces in the car