View Full Version : Corporate Christmas Gift ?

Karried
10-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Hard to believe, the holidays are nearly upon us ....

Do you give your employees gifts or do most people like cold cash or gift cards?

What is the best present you have ever gotten from an employer?

What is the best Christmas gift you have ever heard that someone got from their employer?

mranderson
10-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Hard to believe, the holidays are nearly upon us ....

Do you give your employees gifts or do most people like cold cash or gift cards?

What is the best present you have ever gotten from an employer?

What is the best Christmas gift you have ever heard that someone got from their employer?

Personally, I like cash. A would prefer a years salary as a Christmas bonus.

The best gift from an employer? A $500 gift card for store purchases.

The best one I have ever heard of? My dad use to have a drawing for employee gifts and the top one was a college education for one of the children of the employees... To any University in the world. That kid is now a Harvard trained attorney.

MadMonk
10-13-2005, 03:02 PM
I've been the recipient of both cash and gift cards to various retailers. The cards are nice, but you just can't beat cash. Just don't give me a Jelly of the Month Club type of gift. :D

Karried
10-13-2005, 03:31 PM
I always got a Gift Certificate for a turkey!

kellekokid
10-13-2005, 03:48 PM
where I work now gives a frozen turkey at Thanksgiving. When my sister, Mom and I all worked there too we ended up with 3. I took the last one with us on vacation in July so my bro-in-law could fry it up. May not be the greatest gift but it kept on giving haha

Karried
10-13-2005, 03:50 PM
ha,ha with all the gravy and stuffing I add, my Turkeys end up giving and giving - pounds that is!

I made the absolute best turkey last year if I do say so myself LOL - I brined it in a mixture of kosher salt in an ice chest for 2 days prior - it was so moist and delicious -

Keith
10-13-2005, 05:21 PM
I always got a Gift Certificate for a turkey!
Who are you calling a turkey?LOL

When I was a salesman, every year we would get a Christmas bonus....it would usually be around $200.00, depending how long you had worked for the company. The last three years that I worked as a salesman, business was slow, so we did not get any Christmas bonuses.

Since I have been with the City, I get nada, nothing, zilch. That's ok, though. i am blessed to have a good job;) .

karlanee
10-13-2005, 09:07 PM
I remember one year the place my husband gave a pound of smoked bacon as the Christmas gift.
That was a real slap in the face considering that he and his editor (it was a newpaper chain) put in long hours, drove a 2 hour drive each week to put the paper to bed and worked 12+ hour days most days of the week, not including the after hours spent covering high school games, community events etc.

I would almost rather he had received nothing.

I guess the best I received would have been a gift certificate to the grocery store I worked at plus a free Christmas ham or turkey (your choice).

Karried
10-14-2005, 06:57 AM
The worst part about large corporations who don't give out anything is that the executives usually get outrageous amounts of money for Christmas bonuses or elaborate gifts. Of course, the peons on the bottom did all of the hard labor to make the profits and they get nothing. That irritates me.

okiemom
10-14-2005, 07:21 AM
We have a formal banquet for our employees about two weeks before Christmas. During that, plaques are given to the award winners Example: Employee of the year, Perfect Attendance Award, Five Year Employee, Ten Year Employee, Shining Star, etc. Also, door prizes are drawn during the banquet.
All employees receive a $50.00 grocery gift certificate. Award winners receive a second gift certificate.
In addition to this, employees receive a bonus check. The size of that depends on job performance and length of employment. We've had employees receive as little as $100.00 and as much as several thousand.
Because of the type of business we are, we close down for a week in December and a week in June. It's easier to do that than schedule vacations for everyone.
The day before we have our December shut down, we take everyone out to lunch.
The banquet is for employees and spouse or date. The luncheon is employees only.
We usually have a summer party also. That one is for the employee, spouse and kids.

MadMonk
10-14-2005, 07:59 AM
okiemom, stuff like that is whats keeps employee's moral up and fosters a sense of commraderie or family. I once worked for a company that did a summer picnic and a big catered christmas party every year. It was great. Then things changed and those little extras started to disappear. Not long after, employees started leaving. More things disappeared and more people left. It was a vicious circle that ended up destroying morale and making the company a crappy place to work. I don't think that many in management these days realize the impact of such "extracurricular" activities on employee happiness and subsequently the bottom line.