View Full Version : Mrs. Baird's Bread

terryinokc
10-25-2017, 11:46 AM
This is not earth shattering or maybe not life changing....(well, maybe could be) but they are not selling Mrs. Baird's bread in Oklahoma anymore.
They had really cut down on the number of stores that were carrying it.....then those stores just went to carrying a couple of kinds.

Then....they only sold their products at Wal Mart. This last weekend....I went to three Wal Mart stores to find some ...(going to one WM is more than I like to admit to.....)

Their Honey 7 Grain bread was the best store bought bread ever....the texture and taste is great. Would buy 3 or 4 loaves at a time and put them in the freezer when it started getting harder to find....I also like their white bread better than the others..for a grilled chesse or BLT.

Sara Lee is the one that makes Mrs. Bairds. They said the brand will only be sold in Texas now. The rep said that Sara Lee is coming out here with a Honey 7 Grain but I haven't looked for it or tried it.
Guess I will stock up on bread when I go to Texas!

stile99
10-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Have you checked the Mrs Baird's outlet on 59th? Bimbo Bakeries is actually the one that makes Mrs Baird's, as well as Sara Lee and several other brands. Using their product locator, they believe there have been deliveries to seven stores within 10 miles of the zip code I used within the last three days, of Honey 7 Grain.

https://www.bimbobakeriesusa.com/brands

HangryHippo
10-25-2017, 01:19 PM
What is the reason for this?

terryinokc
10-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the thrift store info. I called yesterday..he said they have a few loaves but wouldn't be getting it much longer.

The Bimbo customer service rep said that sales were slow in Oklahoma for Mrs. Bairds and they were going to focus on Sara Lee and Rainbo brands.

Mr. Cotter
10-25-2017, 02:27 PM
They are the only brand that sells thick slice "Texas Toast." I have no idea how anyone outside of Texas makes french toast.

ctchandler
10-25-2017, 08:52 PM
They are the only brand that sells thick slice "Texas Toast." I have no idea how anyone outside of Texas makes french toast.

Mr. Cotter,
When I was growing up (I'm 74), there was no such thing as "Texas Toast" and my mother made absolutely fantastic French toast. I'm not sure where French toast came from originally but it was in Europe before there was a Texas, or even a United States. Just googled it and it was somewhere in the 4th or 5th century.
C. T.

OKCbyTRANSFER
10-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Growing up in Philly, I don't remember having a Texas Toast style bread, so French Toast was always made with regular white sandwiche bread. Funny, I do remember a round shaped bread, never understood as a kid why someone would want round bread.

Zorba
10-25-2017, 10:11 PM
That is interesting. I've been switch back and forth between Mrs. Baird's and Sara Lee whole grain white, ever since wonder died. I always thought they were pretty similar.

stick47
10-26-2017, 06:06 AM
For years I only bought Roman Meal bread then it became impossible to find. Switched to Natures Own Honey Wheat from Walmart. It's very good too. The best sandwich bread I've eaten is what Arbys uses on their Market Fresh sandwiches. They should just skip the restaurant idea and go into the bread business.

Bobby821
10-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Both Wal-Mart and Winco sell Roman meal wheat bread

stick47
10-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Yes mine has it about every other week At least 4 loaves there if I'm lucky. BTW I saw Mrs Bairds bread at the Mustang WM today.

John1744
10-27-2017, 06:38 AM
Yes Bairds is going away but Sara Lee introduced a 7 grain version of their bread and has it at our store and I was told it's identical to Baird's 7 grain. This is from the Sara Lee rep of course so he'll probably be biased to sell his bread.

Jersey Boss
10-27-2017, 03:17 PM

I saw SUNBEAM "Texas Bread" at Neighborhood WalMart today.

Jersey Boss
10-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Funny, I do remember a round shaped bread, never understood as a kid why someone would want round bread.

You are thinking of Brioche, which is similar to bread. It's a very good choice when making FT.

pewtertm
10-29-2017, 12:44 PM

Walmart carries store-brand Texas toast...it's a lot cheaper than name brand. Personally, I prefer making it with Italian or French bread, but that's just me.

stile99
11-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Went by the outlet on SW59th and Walker earlier, only to be greeted by a sign on the door saying they're closed as of November 9th. Considering the shelves inside were already gone, they were in a hurry to get out of town.

terryinokc
11-20-2017, 09:03 AM
I called the store on 59th and did not get an answer. Called the Sara Lee outlet store in Lawton. They still get Mrs Baird's there all the time. Guess they're close enough to Texas to get it. I've tried the Sara Lee Honey 7 Grain. It's close..but not the same recipe. Looked at the ingredients list on both bags and they were slightly different.

stile99
11-20-2017, 10:03 AM
I'm sorry if I was unclear, by closed I meant gone. The store on 59th is no more.

bombermwc
11-28-2017, 10:21 AM
I thought it was just Crest up to their same old "lets not carry that this week" games. I got that 7grain bread too and loved it! DAMNIT!

I will say the Sara Lee version is pretty darn close though. I dont really taste much of a difference. Chances are they just packaged it differently.

SoonerDave
11-28-2017, 02:44 PM
I wish someone would bring back Wonder English Muffins.

mikeareese
01-20-2018, 05:58 PM
Just about every bread is made by Bimbo. Crest, Great Value, Rainbow, Sara Lee, Best Choice, Homeland, and many others. Most are made on Broadway in OKC. Near the restoration store. Might try the store in front of Bimbo Bread. I worked at Sara Lee before Bimbo took over. Sara Lee was a great company to work for.

Bobby821
01-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Just about every bread is made by Bimbo. Crest, Great Value, Rainbow, Sara Lee, Best Choice, Homeland, and many others. Most are made on Broadway in OKC. Near the restoration store. Might try the store in front of Bimbo Bread. I worked at Sara Lee before Bimbo took over. Sara Lee was a great company to work for.

Is Bimbo not as good to work for as Sara Lee was?