View Full Version : 63rd & Independence?

C. B.
07-27-2017, 04:01 PM
Does anyone know what happening on 63rd between Hefner Parkway, past Independence, east towards May?
Earlier this week, they scraped off the lane markings and yesterday painted new markings.
It looks like they've painted a white line 5 or 6 feet in from each existing curb, and maintained two lane eastbound, narrowed westbound to one lane.
Attached is a picture I took today.

KayneMo
07-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Bike lanes, perhaps?

OKCisOK4me
07-27-2017, 06:01 PM
I like the addition of a bike lane but westbound May being downsized to one lane? Not so much.

TheTravellers
07-27-2017, 07:32 PM
I like the addition of a bike lane but westbound May being downsized to one lane? Not so much.

May doesn't go westbound :), and there's absolutely no way 63rd can ever be permanently narrowed to one lane, handles way too many cars for that, must be temporary...

Brett
07-28-2017, 05:03 AM
This is just a guess but they could be adding a sidewalk down the length of NW 63rd St.

rte66man
07-28-2017, 06:02 AM
I know OKC has plans to install left turn lanes on NW63rd at independence. Maybe this is a temporary measure while they add a 5th lane between there and LHP?

SoonerQueen
07-29-2017, 06:45 PM
I know OKC has plans to install left turn lanes on NW63rd at independence. Maybe this is a temporary measure while they add a 5th lane between there and LHP?

I live in the area, and turn left to get on to Independence a lot during my travels. It just is an inconvenience right now, but if they make a left turn lane it won't be so bad. Can't imagine them changing it to one lane going westbound. NW 63rd is a busy street. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all turns out.

Brett
07-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Just noticed a hidden detail in the posted photo. A no left turn sign has been added to the traffic light support bar. Interesting.

SoonerQueen
07-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Just noticed a hidden detail in the posted photo. A no left turn sign has been added to the traffic light support bar. Interesting.

I am going to hate it if they don't allow left hand turns, and you're right, no lane on the picture.

MagzOK
07-31-2017, 06:39 AM

People are still turning left there like the sign's not there, just holding up traffic.

SoonerQueen
08-01-2017, 12:49 AM
People are still turning left there like the sign's not there, just holding up traffic.

I have noticed that. One of them is my husband.lol

rte66man
08-01-2017, 07:01 AM
The utility poles on the north side were moved back about 2-3 months ago to allow for widening. The stubs of the originals are still there though.

Pete
08-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Adding a dedicated left turn lane on 63rd is long overdue.

That has been a bad intersection for decades.

Glad to see this happening.

C. B.
08-01-2017, 01:46 PM

Look on the far right of the picture. There is an electronic message board that says in large letters, NO LEFT TURN ON INDEPENDENCE.
Everyday I've seen a westbound car sitting and waiting to turn left, holding up all of one lane westbound traffic.

rte66man
08-01-2017, 03:13 PM
According to the City of OKC:

https://www.okc.gov/departments/public-works/project-updates

This "intersection improvement" is a part of the 2007 bond issue. Cost is budgeted ar $250,000, which means they probably won't be doing more than adding left turn lanes on 63rd to Independence. I was hoping they would extend the mprovements west to LHP.

TheTravellers
08-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Look on the far right of the picture. There is an electronic message board that says in large letters, NO LEFT TURN ON INDEPENDENCE.
Everyday I've seen a westbound car sitting and waiting to turn left, holding up all of one lane westbound traffic.

Use your horn, often, preferably steady until the illegal turner moves or other people start honking too.

MagzOK
08-02-2017, 02:39 PM
They need to mill and overlay (at minimum) or even concrete the approaches to the intersection along NW 63rd. The ruts there are terrible as you approach.

rte66man
08-04-2017, 07:20 AM
They need to mill and overlay (at minimum) or even concrete the approaches to the intersection along NW 63rd. The ruts there are terrible as you approach.

Based on the amount budgeted, a mill and overlay is all that can be expected. I agree that concrete is preferable, but I'll settle for the left turn lanes.

LocoAko
10-28-2017, 09:38 AM
Looks like there are now widewalks on the south side and then the north side of NW 63rd east of Lake Hefner Parkway to Independence. (At least I don't think those were there before? I could be going crazy...)