View Full Version : McClintock Saloon and Chop House

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
07-24-2017, 07:55 AM
New bar and restaurant nearing completion in Stockyards City at 2227 Exchange Ave.

Has an amazing 50-foot custom bar and loads of custom millwork everywhere. Absolutely enormous investment.

It's the old McClintock boot store and they brought in Michel Buthion of La Bagette as a partner.

https://www.facebook.com/McClintockSaloon/

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/mcclintock1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/mcclintock060817.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/mcclintock072217.jpg

Pete
07-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Stockyards City ropin’ in new businesses
Monday, July 17, 2017
By Molly M. Fleming
The Journal Record

OKLAHOMA CITY – Michel Buthion spent his childhood in France wanting to be a cowboy.

“I watched Western movies,” he said. “On Sunday afternoon, it was guaranteed I was watching a Western.

“And when they went from black and white to color – oh my,” he said, excitedly.

His love for the Wild West is what brought him to Oklahoma. He’s built his reputation operating La Baguette Bistro with his brother Alain Buthion.

With partners Alan Greene and Lindsay Ocker, he’s opening McClintock Saloon & Chop House at 2227 Exchange Ave. It will open this fall, Buthion said. It could be the start of a new business stampede in the historic district.

McClintock Saloon – like any good Western movie – started with the out-of-towner going into a business and telling the owner what he wanted.

That’s what French-native Buthion did to Ocker.

Ocker was running a premier boot store, McClintock Heritage Collection. He was a longtime customer of La Baguette. Buthion, upon returning from Nashville, walked into the Ocker’s store and told him his plan for a saloon. Ocker locked the doors, they drank some whiskey, shook hands, and were business partners.

The saloon is in Ocker’s old store space. The idea was moving along well, but the partners wanted to add a kitchen. After about a year, they were able to move into the adjoining space. In total, McClintock measures 7,300 square feet, including the whiskey garten.

Ocker said the plan is to get the entire renovation done for less than $2 million. McClintock’s Saloon side has a 50-foot oaken bar, with an all-oak back bar. Stained oak stretches from the floor to the ceiling, with carvings and columns for decoration.

Ocker oversaw the bar design. Master carpenters Larry Hall and David Phillips did all the work and are sought nationwide for their skills. Ocker’s nearby apartment has similar high-caliber woodwork, done by the same carpenters.

Buthion has hired Charles Burger to be the chef. Burger was waiting on tables at Cattlemen’s. He had worked in New York and Chicago, then came back to his hometown of Oklahoma City.

He said he’s not trying to compete with the neighborhood steak restaurant.

“Cattlemen’s is an institution,” Burger said. “We’re going to bring flavors that aren’t in that queue. It’s going to be new flavors and new techniques. They’ll be unique flavors that aren’t represented right now.”

The entrees will always come with a side and a starch, with other side items available as well. Lunch will start about $15 a person and dinner prices begin at $25 a person.

The menu will include a “Boot of the Week.” Ocker has boot merchandise still, so people can buy that week’s boot being offered at a low price.

Stockyards City business owner Jo Wiens compared McClintock’s anticipated opening to The Jones Assembly and the excitement it’s created for west downtown.

“It will introduce a lot of people to the Stockyards who are not expecting to see what they’ll find (at McClintock’s),” she said. “I’ve heard nothing but exciting things about the menu. It will feel like stepping back in time, but a first-class enterprise. It can’t get open soon enough.”

Buthion said he’s not done with projects in Stockyard City. He stood at the restaurant’s entrance and gazed across Exchange Avenue, like a cowboy looking for his ranch. He’s already anticipating bustling crowds on the street that houses several legendary Stockyard City businesses.

“It’s going to be a tremendous atmosphere,” he said. “We’ll do another place close by.”

Wiens and her husband, Terry Wiens, own National Saddlery and Stockyards Sarsaparilla, which is in the original location of the saddlery store.

The Wiens lost a building to fire in March 2015. The vacant lot across from Cattlemen’s on SW 13th has had a fence around it since last May.

“We’re hoping to get a permit and start digging soon,” she said.

HSE Architects, led by principal Todd Edmonds, designed the new building. It’s been redesigned in the last year, but it’s for a good reason, Wiens said.

“The good news is the reason we got delayed is we had arrangements with very unusual and very specific tenants,” she said. “We had to backtrack the design.”

The entire two-story, 20,000-square-foot building is leased, she said. She said she’s been careful about choosing tenants that will have a long-term presence in the district.

“I wanted a community partner that would be committed to the Stockyards,” she said. “I wanted tenants that were poised for success and had enough of a track record that they would be committed.”

Burger said he thinks the area has been neglected for several years. With a new restaurant concept, he said he hopes people will visit – or rediscover – the historic district.

Buthion said he’s already heard from the horse associations and the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber about their excitement for the restaurant.

“It’s a dream come true for me,” he said.

shawnw
07-24-2017, 08:29 AM
I've been surprised that more of this sort of thing wasn't happening already in the stockyards, glad to see it now.

Roger S
07-24-2017, 08:39 AM
I've been surprised that more of this sort of thing wasn't happening already in the stockyards, glad to see it now.

Yeah.... I've always thought Stockyards has way more potential than it current displays. So hopefully this triggers that potential.

Pete
07-24-2017, 08:42 AM
Cattleman's holds little appeal to me but I can see me stopping for a drink at that amazing bar.

Roger S
07-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Cattleman's holds little appeal to me but I can see me stopping for a drink at that amazing bar.

Same here.... I go to Cattleman's for breakfast and I really haven't even done that since Hatch and Sunnyside opened.

I'd really love to see some other high end steakhouses locate in that area and I'm really amazed there is no BBQ there. It was one of the areas I mentioned to Kosmo's Q when he had his trailer and was looking for a brick and mortar...... Maybe if Woodruff ever decided to move out of his trailer with Maple's and in to a brick and mortar he will go there.

Urbanized
07-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Try going for breakfast.

Urbanized
07-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Same here.... I go to Cattleman's for breakfast and I really haven't even done that since Hatch and Sunnyside opened.

I'd really love to see some other high end steakhouses locate in that area and I'm really amazed there is no BBQ there. It was one of the areas I mentioned to Kosmo's Q when he had his trailer and was looking for a brick and mortar...... Maybe if Woodruff ever decided to move out of his trailer with Maple's and in to a brick and mortar he will go there.
The owner of Cattlemen's opened a BBQ place next door back in the late nineties or early aughts. It was OK but only lasted about ten minutes.

Roger S
07-24-2017, 09:27 AM
The owner of Cattlemen's opened a BBQ place next door back in the late nineties or early aughts. It was OK but only lasted about ten minutes.

Ate at it once.... Don't remember being to impressed with it.

There used to be a place closer to the river in a little industrial park but I think that was all demolished as part of the I-40 relocation and they never re-opened it.

Urbanized
07-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Yeah, it was nothing special. Which is probably why it's not still around. Space was neat though, if I recall.

Martin
07-24-2017, 09:54 AM

i remember the cattlemen's cafe that they briefly opened next door to the south but don't remember the bbq joint.

Ginkasa
07-24-2017, 11:50 AM
This looks super-fun.

Ross MacLochness
07-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Some friends and I walked around through that area yesterday. Its amazing how much 'main street" style building stock is left south of Stock Yards on Agnew. It's very blighted and I didn't feel 100% safe walking around down there, but it would be possible to extend the Stock Yards main street farther south - alm,ost to 29th - if conditions were ever right for it. It's amazing to see so much traditional development so far away from downtown. In the early days, did these buildings connect to downtown with continuous urban fabric or was the stockyards and surrounding area an isolated urban area?

Pete
07-24-2017, 12:23 PM
^

I think it's always been somewhat separate, a little town (it's not part of the OKC city limits) that grew up around the cattle business and the railroad lines that serviced it.

BoulderSooner
07-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Pretty sure that the only part of the stock yards that is not okc is the actually stockyard company property

I think all the business and restaurants are In okc proper

Roger S
07-24-2017, 01:14 PM

BDP
07-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Pretty sure that the only part of the stock yards that is not okc is the actually stockyard company property

That is correct. Everything outside the gates is in OKC.

Had a look inside this place. It's super nice. Kind mixes an old world and new world feel, even with the predominately western decor (upscale western, maybe? ha.) As always, the food will be the decider, but that's in pretty good hands and it will be a nice place for a cocktail for sure. Certainly a different vibe than the Paddock Club. ;) Good to see new nightlife in the Stockyards.

Ross MacLochness
07-24-2017, 01:43 PM

I think he means it was a town like Brittain that was it's own place before getting annexed by OKC at a later date.

Pete
07-24-2017, 01:46 PM
I just meant that Stockyards City was it's own thing and businesses grew up around it completely separately from anything near the central core.

And at that time -- statehood or so -- the distance between the two was pretty large.

PhiAlpha
07-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Some friends and I walked around through that area yesterday. Its amazing how much 'main street" style building stock is left south of Stock Yards on Agnew. It's very blighted and I didn't feel 100% safe walking around down there, but it would be possible to extend the Stock Yards main street farther south - alm,ost to 29th - if conditions were ever right for it. It's amazing to see so much traditional development so far away from downtown. In the early days, did these buildings connect to downtown with continuous urban fabric or was the stockyards and surrounding area an isolated urban area?

Quite a bit of urban fabric left on Exchange as well.

PhiAlpha
07-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Stockyard City or the Farmer's Market would be great locations for a huge pit BBQ restaurant.

It would be pretty cool if we could end up with several western themed bars and restaurants over there to complement the shops. Would be great tourism and would make for a cool different type bar district to hang out in.

DickTracy
07-24-2017, 06:36 PM
The BBQ next door to Cattlemens was called High Noon Saloon.

DickTracy
07-24-2017, 06:38 PM
Parking might become a big issue down there too, I noticed Cattlemens already put up signs in their lot that it was for Cattlemens restaurant only. They ought to close that bank branch and create a parking lot, they sure could use it.

betts
07-24-2017, 07:05 PM
I would love to see a rail line from downtown to the airport, and you could create a stockyards stop that might encourage a hotel and other tourist business as well. I was wishing that could be part of the next MAPS. Salt Lake City has rail to the airport and I think we should too.

Roger S
07-25-2017, 07:01 AM
Stockyard City or the Farmer's Market would be great locations for a huge pit BBQ restaurant.

Farmers Market was looked at by a couple of pitmasters I know but the owner of the locations they looked at wasn't very receptive to getting them in there.

I think that old service station across the street from the market would be an incredible spot for BBQ. There could be picnic tables out front, the dining area could be where the overhead doors are and could be configured to have the doors open when the weather was nice.

In the Stockyards I've always thought this building (https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4529026,-97.5488105,3a,75y,1.84h,86.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTCW3wvO1YK3dfQ-pQYsCpg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en) looked like it might have some potential but not sure about it's structural integrity.

You can see the roof is off of it, and it has been for years, but if the walls around it are sound it could be configured to be an open courtyard with offset smokers in the back. From the aerial view there appears to be a small structure in the NE corner that could possibly be renovated into a kitchen and indoor dining option.

If I ever decided to take the plunge from my cushy well paying job and take on the high risk, low profit margin, and long hours, of running a Q-raunt. This would be one of the first options I would explore.

jerrywall
07-25-2017, 09:08 AM
This looks awesome. I won't go to Cattleman's but I'll check this place out. This is really cool looking and feels like a classic saloon. I'm a sucker for old westerns.

Isaac C. Parker
07-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Absolutely what Stockyards City needs. I am super enthused about this. The renovation looks perfect.

jstaylor62
08-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Parking might become a big issue down there too, I noticed Cattlemens already put up signs in their lot that it was for Cattlemens restaurant only. They ought to close that bank branch and create a parking lot, they sure could use it.

I agree that parking will be a huge issue. Also, I'm curious about people at the City Rescue Mission panhandling customers that are so close by.

Pete
08-06-2017, 08:21 AM
There is tons of street parking down there.

DickTracy
08-08-2017, 08:21 PM
They don't bother anyone really, we go to the Opry quite often and have never had any problems.

DickTracy
08-08-2017, 08:25 PM
I've heard they spent upwards of 2 million on this place, it's really beautiful inside, I took a tour the other day,

dcsooner
08-09-2017, 02:58 AM
Projects to be another top tier establishment further elevating the dining options in OKC.

tyeomans
09-28-2017, 11:36 AM
I will be attending the soft opening this Saturday. Can't wait!

TheirTheir
10-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Dropped in on Sunday for a drink per a facebook post by one of their managers. Like others have already said, it gorgeous. Alan Greene was kind enough to give me a tour of the property complete with the history of many of the finishings, including a very beautiful antique Coca Cola stained glass window displayed in the entryway. Unfortunately they were not serving dinner, but the reasonably priced old fashioned I ordered was done right at $7.

LFordD40
10-03-2017, 09:07 AM
They had a post saying there would be a grand opening celebration next week on the 10th. Does anyone know if this just means they will be open for dinner or will it be more of a party/event that night and then after the 10th it will be open for regular dining?

onthestrip
10-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Dropped in on Sunday for a drink per a facebook post by one of their managers. Like others have already said, it gorgeous. Alan Greene was kind enough to give me a tour of the property complete with the history of many of the finishings, including a very beautiful antique Coca Cola stained glass window displayed in the entryway. Unfortunately they were not serving dinner, but the reasonably priced old fashioned I ordered was done right at $7.

Good to know that not every bar has gone to pricing old fashioneds at $11 or more.

soonerguru
10-10-2017, 09:43 PM
I took the plunge with my family. The service was exemplary and the steak was as good -- or perhaps even better -- than anything I've had in OKC (even the Ranch). Just really really good. The atmosphere has great bones but they need to tweak a few things for ambiance: the chandeliers are beautiful but the lighting choices are incredibly harsch. Daylight LEDs? The audio setup is atrocious and doesn't provide the kinda vibe one would expect.

Still, the food was excellent and my family was still buzzing about it the next day.

PhiAlpha
10-10-2017, 11:16 PM
I took the plunge with my family. The service was exemplary and the steak was as good -- or perhaps even better -- than anything I've had in OKC (even the Ranch). Just really really good. The atmosphere has great bones but they need to tweak a few things for ambiance: the chandeliers are beautiful but the lighting choices are incredibly harsch. Daylight LEDs? The audio setup is atrocious and doesn't provide the kinda vibe one would expect.

Still, the food was excellent and my family was still buzzing about it the next day.

Its really amazing how little that people who invest tons of money into spaces like this understand about lighting and how much difference it makes to the atmospher in a bar or restaurant. Bars and restaurants shouldn’t ever use anything over about 3500k in color temperature or really over 3000k...especially in an old western saloon themed bar. I noticed the same issue at savings and loan as well as the Zu in Edmond...lights were dimmed but way too high on the cool white part of the spectrum. It always has a massive effect on the atmosphere. I actually use Phillips Hue White Ambiance bulbs all over my house that can move between different shades of the white spectrum depending on the mood you’re trying to set. It’s amazing how much of a difference it makes.

Paseofreak
10-10-2017, 11:31 PM
Similarly, even architect designed spaces seem to completely neglect the sound levels , and quality. Too many visually appealing spaces that beg soft sounds and intimacy filled with harsh cacophony.

Pete
10-11-2017, 07:29 AM
Light and sound don't show on renderings and few people consider them until everything is finished and the space just doesn't feel 'right'.

By far the most common mistakes in commercial design.

zefferoni
10-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Not defending it, but it was always my impression that having a loud/echoey restaurant was an intentional design choice to keep people from lingering too long after finishing their meals, to keep customer flow going.

I'm thinking about taking my parents here this weekend, does anybody know the wait time? Would you recommend getting reservations? I assume it'll be pretty busy since the place is new.

LakeEffect
10-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Light and sound don't show on renderings and few people consider them until everything is finished and the space just doesn't feel 'right'.

That's why we have a full-time lighting designer on staff. It needs to be considered in every design project, not as an after-thought but as a tool and a central element, up front.

Pete
10-12-2017, 09:08 AM
That's why we have a full-time lighting designer on staff. It needs to be considered in every design project, not as an after-thought but as a tool and a central element, up front.

Exactly right.

Lighting -- like A/V -- is specialty unto itself and a knowledgeable person can make a huge difference.

Even for those firms without a internal lighting person, there are plenty that can be brought in as consultants early in the process.

bucktalk
10-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Agree 1,000 %!

About a year ago several of us dinned at MaryEddy's. While the food was good and the place had an overall good vibe...the sound level that night was almost unbearable. Even sitting right next to someone you could not have a conversation without almost shouting. Unreal. While to group enjoyed the food most of them said they wouldn't be back because the sound level was so over the top that they'd eat at other places where the sound level wasn't so harsh. Concrete floors and ceilings, without any attempt to deflect bouncing sound, may be cool features but it kills atmosphere for many.

Pete
10-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Virtually all spaces these days have nothing but hard surfaces.

What little upholstery is usually leather or vinyl. No drapes, carpets or acoustical ceilings; tons of glass, concrete, tile, hardwood floors, etc.

There are ways to absorb sound in a discrete way without distracting from interior design, but that needs to be worked in from the beginning. Very hard to do it after the fact.

Roger S
10-24-2017, 07:26 AM
Now open for lunch per their FB page and lunch menu is on their website.

Pete
10-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Starting this weekend, they will have brunch opening at 10AM both Saturday and Sunday.

Thomas Vu
10-25-2017, 11:44 AM
I stopped by for lunch yesterday. Ordered the stockyard burger. Meat didn't taste like it was seasoned, but went well with the veggies. They served beer battered fries with it. I look forward to trying other things there next week.

Their brunch menu is only available during the weekends, they don't tack on extra for ordering stuff outside that period.

Roger S
10-26-2017, 12:23 PM
They were doing a pretty brisk business for lunch when I was in today.

I had the fried chicken....

I'll be going back to have the fried chicken again...and again... and again.... Yes I liked the fried chicken.

Bartender told me they have a broaster fryer.... They also thought it took them longer than it should have to get the chicken to me even though I didn't think the wait was out of line (I expect about a 20 minute wait on chicken) so you may notice they gave me an extra leg.

OKCRT
10-26-2017, 01:11 PM
Broaster Chicken! Yes

sooner88
10-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Broaster Chicken! Yes

Is that a pressure cooker?

Roger S
10-26-2017, 01:17 PM
Is that a pressure cooker?

Yes

FighttheGoodFight
10-26-2017, 01:24 PM
I got check this place out

soonerguru
10-27-2017, 11:44 PM
Agree 1,000 %!

About a year ago several of us dinned at MaryEddy's. While the food was good and the place had an overall good vibe...the sound level that night was almost unbearable. Even sitting right next to someone you could not have a conversation without almost shouting. Unreal. While to group enjoyed the food most of them said they wouldn't be back because the sound level was so over the top that they'd eat at other places where the sound level wasn't so harsh. Concrete floors and ceilings, without any attempt to deflect bouncing sound, may be cool features but it kills atmosphere for many.

Please note: the sound system wasn't loud, it was BAD. Poor quality audio. The restaurant is good, though.

jccouger
11-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Anybody else having an issue getting the menu to work?

http://mcclintocksaloon.com/menu/

I'm really just interested in the cost of the fried chicken.

Roger S
11-06-2017, 08:37 AM
Anybody else having an issue getting the menu to work?

http://mcclintocksaloon.com/menu/

I'm really just interested in the cost of the fried chicken.

$16

Jeepnokc
11-07-2017, 06:32 AM
How have the crowds been inside? We went to Cattlemen's Sunday night and they were on an hour wait but didn't look like much of a crowd at McClintock's. Would have tried it instead but we were the invitees to the group we were meeting.

Martin
11-07-2017, 07:19 AM
How have the crowds been inside? We went to Cattlemen's Sunday night and they were on an hour wait but didn't look like much of a crowd at McClintock's. Would have tried it instead but we were the invitees to the group we were meeting.

went on friday night just after 7pm... for a party of two, there was nothing available in the dining room but we were seated immediately in the bar area.

bucktalk
11-19-2017, 08:55 AM
Ate at McClintock yesterday afternoon....first time. I must say it was a great experience. The waiter was engaging and informative about the menu. The food arrived in a timely fashion and was delicious AND hot! (food being served hot is a huge, huge plus in my book!) Arrived around 3:00 so the place wasn't crowded. Matter of fact the chef came by the table to visit for a few moments. I was absolutely pleased with the experience and will place McClintock on my restaurant rotation as well as bring guest along too.

Thomas Vu
11-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Ate at McClintock yesterday afternoon....first time. I must say it was a great experience. The waiter was engaging and informative about the menu. The food arrived in a timely fashion and was delicious AND hot! (food being served hot is a huge, huge plus in my book!) Arrived around 3:00 so the place wasn't crowded. Matter of fact the chef came by the table to visit for a few moments. I was absolutely pleased with the experience and will place McClintock on my restaurant rotation as well as bring guest along too.

Isn't food supposed to be hot?