View Full Version : HunnyBunny Biscuit Company

Pages : [1] 2

John Knight
07-13-2017, 12:50 PM
HunnyBunny Biscuit Company located in the Tower Theatre building coming fall 2017. It looks like they will feature scratch-made biscuit sandwiches from Chef Chris McKenna. They will offer breakfast and lunch as well as full-service coffee, bloody marys and mimosas. The latest concept from Urban Management Inc – Packard’s and Interurban.

https://hunnybunnybiscuitco.com/

GoldFire
07-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Uh oh. I have a weakness for good biscuits.

Eddie1
07-14-2017, 10:04 AM
I have a weakness for mimosas, lol.

PhiAlpha
07-17-2017, 05:51 PM
​This looks a lot like the Denver Biscuit Company in.....Denver. If it's anything similar to that, it's going to be ridiculously good.

Roger S
12-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Ummmm.... I'm pretty speechless right now... So just go drool at the pictures like I did.

https://www.facebook.com/HunnyBunnyBiscuitCo/photos/ms.c.eJw1zNsNwDAQAsGOIjDcw~;03Fl3sfI7Q0mAWSpmtbT89 JhpgLet6WQpE4ljm7ODvwGfw2O35C90~_MqYn9wvfphZC.bps. a.801670706683947.1073741828.727682000749485/801670736683944/?type=3&theater

soonerguru
12-19-2017, 12:35 AM
HunnyBunny Biscuit Company located in the Tower Theatre building coming fall 2017. It looks like they will feature scratch-made biscuit sandwiches from Chef Chris McKenna. They will offer breakfast and lunch as well as full-service coffee, bloody marys and mimosas. The latest concept from Urban Management Inc – Packard’s and Interurban.

https://hunnybunnybiscuitco.com/

LOL at all of the breakfast and lunch places pushing the booze. I used to put away my fair share of alcohol myself but even I rarely indulged at brunch. Isn't a liquor license incredibly expensive to acquire? It just seems there is a limited market of people knocking back bloody mary's at lunch. The days of the three martini lunch are now long gone.

zefferoni
12-19-2017, 07:28 AM
LOL at all of the breakfast and lunch places pushing the booze. I used to put away my fair share of alcohol myself but even I rarely indulged at brunch. Isn't a liquor license incredibly expensive to acquire? It just seems there is a limited market of people knocking back bloody mary's at lunch. The days of the three martini lunch are now long gone.

Do people drink bloody Marys or mimosas after noon? I could see breakfast/lunch drinks not being popular during the work week, but for weekend brunch I love the option.

Pete
12-19-2017, 07:35 AM

Liquor licenses aren't expensive.

The main consumption of alcohol at these places is at weekend brunch and believe me, bloody mary's and mimosas can really flow.

aDark
12-19-2017, 08:32 AM

Rarely indulging in boozing at brunch? That's a far cry from the typical brunch today. Bottomless brunch is the new Thursday night!

Bullbear
12-19-2017, 02:04 PM
If I am going to brunch that means Boozy Brunch!. otherwise its just lunch or breakfast IMO!

PhiAlpha
12-20-2017, 10:58 PM

Have you spent any weekend mornings or afternoons with people between 21 and 40?

jerrywall
12-21-2017, 11:58 AM
I'm over 40 and brunch at the Pump with mimosas is still a favorite pass time.

PhiAlpha
12-21-2017, 01:14 PM
I'm over 40 and brunch at the Pump with mimosas is still a favorite pass time.

40 definitely wasn’t a hard cap on having alcohol during weekend brunch, just figured that was the largest demographic

Libbymin
12-21-2017, 04:36 PM

They're about $1500 for an ABLE license plus $900 for a city liquor license, so really not that expensive (different story if you're up northeast). And also, boozing at Brunch is definitely pretty popular. I know plenty of people (girls mostly) who do Brunch and have mimosas and bloody marys over a few hour period. I would also say that it's only increased in popularity in OKC over the last few years with all of these new places popping up.

IanMcDermid
12-22-2017, 03:18 PM
its a $1,500 license from the state, and around 1,000 from the city per year. The city charges a 1 time “compliance” $1,500 fee to certify that a space is up to municipal code when issuing the first license that includes building, fire, police, and and health inspections. Plus the county beverage permit which just went up to $320 this year and a state Dept. of health license that’s a couple hundred. It’s about $5,000 to start and about 3,500/yr after.

Libbymin
12-27-2017, 04:28 PM
its a $1,500 license from the state, and around 1,000 from the city per year. The city charges a 1 time “compliance” $1,500 fee to certify that a space is up to municipal code when issuing the first license that includes building, fire, police, and and health inspections. Plus the county beverage permit which just went up to $320 this year and a state Dept. of health license that’s a couple hundred. It’s about $5,000 to start and about 3,500/yr after.

I doubt they would be getting a county beverage permit though which is for 3.2 beer. Unless they anticipate a lot of people drinking Bud Light for Brunch.

John Knight
01-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Looks like they are getting closer. Photo courtesy of Uptown 23rd.

Pete
02-05-2018, 02:22 PM
From their Facebook page:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hunnybunny020518.jpg

Pete
02-14-2018, 06:39 AM
Getting very close.

Social media says they will be open by the end of the month.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hunnybunny021018.jpg

TheirTheir
02-14-2018, 08:21 AM
Hoping their name is an indication of this, but if they make a fancy version of Whataburger's Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit, my life will be enriched in ways I didn't think possible

Roger S
02-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Hoping their name is an indication of this, but if they make a fancy version of Whataburger's Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit, my life will be enriched in ways I didn't think possible

Have not seen them post anything like that biscuit but if you go look at the pics I linked to on post #5 of this thread.... You'll probably forget all about any biscuits that Whataburger makes.

Pete
02-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Have you guys tried the Buttermilk Sliders food truck? I have yet to myself.

They are moving fast in the Paseo; could be open in 1 to 2 months.

Will be biscuit wars!

Roger S
02-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Have you guys tried the Buttermilk Sliders food truck? I have yet to myself.

They are moving fast in the Paseo; could be open in 1 to 2 months.

Will be biscuit wars!

Never caught up with the truck but looking forward to trying it once it's open..... The biscuit sandwich is one of my favorite food groups!

jccouger
02-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Have not seen them post anything like that biscuit but if you go look at the pics I linked to on post #5 of this thread.... You'll probably forget all about any biscuits that Whataburger makes.

Don't knock Whataburgers honey butter chicken biscuits....

Roger S
02-14-2018, 09:54 AM

I've eaten my fair share of them but have you looked at the pictures I mentioned?

Roger S
02-14-2018, 09:54 AM

I've eaten my fair share of them but have you looked at the pictures I mentioned?

TheirTheir
02-14-2018, 10:06 AM
If you are in need of biscuits or donuts, Paseo/Uptown has you more than covered.

Timshel
02-14-2018, 11:06 AM
'Will be biscuit wars!

The best kind of wars! (Closely followed by the pizza wars.)

Pete
02-17-2018, 10:54 AM
They have started soft openings and should be open next week.

Dustin
02-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Why are posts showing today's date instead of "today"?

NBD just curious.

Pete
02-17-2018, 11:02 AM
Why are posts showing today's date instead of "today"?

NBD just curious.

We had to upgrade the server and do some other tweaks which have changed some settings slightly.

Roger S
02-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Posted to FB that they open Wednesday at 7 AM...... Guess I can look forward to breaking in that new belt notch on Thursday!

dankrutka
02-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Posted to FB that they open Wednesday at 7 AM...... Guess I can look forward to breaking in that new belt notch on Thursday!

Just have to run there and back! Lol

Roger S
02-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Just have to run there and back! Lol

HAHA... Well I walked to Esca Vitae from my office the other day (about 2 miles round trip) just to get a pretzel but I'm not sure I can make it to 23rd and back in an hour or without a heart attack. ;)

Roger S
02-21-2018, 06:50 AM
Walked in at straight up 7:00 AM to give them a try today.

14483 14484

Got the Nashville...

And the No. 7...

Biscuits are delicate, light, fluffy, and taste great! The fillings I had on both were on point

Only critique I have is on the functionality. The way they No. 7 is served makes it difficult to eat and they have to use a bigger clamshell to serve it to go. Cut the link in half and stack it or just serve half the link. The chicken on the Nashville was great but on about the third bite it slid out of it's crust and the biscuit crumbled. So at that point I no longer had a sandwich. I had biscuit debris... Which I do enjoy but not eating with my hands.

All the qualities that make the biscuits incredible makes them less suitable for a biscuit sandwich. Can't wait to have time to sit and eat in and try the gravy on them but for eating as a sandwich they are a little clunky at the moment...... If it were me I would make two types of biscuits. Keep this one for knife and fork dishes and make a more dense, sturdier, version for the sandwiches.

Even with that critique... This place is incredible and will definitely be a mainstay in my breakfast rotation.... No more fast food biscuits going in my mouth for sure!

David
02-24-2018, 12:23 AM
Tried this Friday for lunch, was probably the best biscuits and gravy I have ever had.

TheTravellers
02-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Tried this Friday for lunch, was probably the best biscuits and gravy I have ever had.

Ever had that at Aurora? Best we've ever had were there, and if these compare to Aurora's, man....

David
02-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Probably may have been a little strong, but I was pretty impressed.

I returned today for lunch and tried the french toast biscuits, and those were pretty good too.

http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14490

Roger S
02-24-2018, 06:51 PM
I don’t usually go for sweet breakfasts but that caught my attention when I saw their pic of it.

Pryor Tiger
02-24-2018, 09:59 PM

Went for lunch today, splurged and got the number 7 and the strawberry cream. Very busy today, great service though. Honestly I’m going to have to be careful not to go here all the time! Really love what is going on around the Tower Theater.

Roger S
02-25-2018, 04:51 AM
The No 7 was awesome. Just wish they had a more functional way to serve it.

TheirTheir
02-26-2018, 12:15 PM
Very impressed. Tried the Club and the Biscuits and Gravy--both were fantastic. Had no issue with the bun falling apart with the Club.

Pete
02-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Yesterday, they posted they ran out of biscuits at some point and had to close shop. Clearly, business is a-booming.

Will be really interesting to see how Buttermilk Sliders matches up when it opens next month.

TheirTheir
02-26-2018, 12:39 PM
If anyone from Buttermilk Sliders is reading this, two words: HONEY BUTTER.

Thomas Vu
03-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Stopped by for lunch today. It was plenty packed. I got the cannonball

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mh66TR1JPPDTEdtt2

It was great. I wasn't sure if i was supposed to approach it like a sandwich or biscuits and gravy. I ate it like biscuits and gravy. It was nice that the handmade lemonade has free refills. I can't wait to go back.

Pete
03-02-2018, 11:39 AM
^

Oooh... That looks so good.

Thanks for sharing.

Urbanized
03-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Had the chicken pot pie there today...mmmmmmmmmmmm

David
03-02-2018, 05:35 PM
I also had the Cannonball today, it was fantastic. Roughly like the biscuits and gravy I had before but even better.

I do have one criticism though. If I'm ordering my food and I ask for a Diet Coke, saying they don't have it and suggesting the Mexican Coke instead is about negatively helpful. The clear point of ordering a diet drink is getting something that is sugar/calorie free, please don't suggest something that is literally the opposite of that! I was also a bit unimpressed when I asked if they had anything diet at all and the answer was nothing.

Scottie's next door has a similar problem though at least they have a diet root beer, even if that is a bit odd for your only diet option.

Bellaboo
03-05-2018, 08:42 AM
I learned years ago to get water and save 2 bucks. Not everyone can do that but hey, problem solved.

Mantison
03-22-2018, 10:30 AM

Went a couple Saturdays ago, and I was delighted with what might have been the best croque madame I have ever had. It was sinfully good, made me giggle a little bit. The biscuits and gravy are very good, but not great. The gravy is a bit on the thin side, could use a bit more sausage cook time. But don't get me wrong, these guys are crushing it. The line was out the door and down the street within minutes of me coming in, so either they were following the "Fluffy" guy because he obviously knows where the good food is, or I just got lucky. Either way, great food, love the clean and bright design. Top notch.

Pete
03-22-2018, 10:36 AM
^

Have you tried Buttermilk?

I've yet to hear a detailed comparison of both.

I'm already a huge fan of Buttermilk but have yet to try HunnyBunny.

Mantison
03-22-2018, 10:40 AM
^

Have you tried Buttermilk?

I've yet to hear a detailed comparison of both.

I'm already a huge fan of Buttermilk but have yet to try HunnyBunny.

I haven't yet, but it appears i need to. I have a weakness for biscuits and gravy. It is my #1 comfort dish. No one has topped "Mom's Gravy" yet, but I love all gravy, some just more than others, lol.

Pete
03-22-2018, 10:43 AM
I know the biscuits are quite different, in that Buttermilk is less fluffy with more of a crunch to the outside. Also seasoned differently. Todd Woodruff said their take is less traditional.

This is making my hungry... I may have to go to Buttermilk for a late lunch and sit on their patio and watch Paseo action.

Roger S
03-22-2018, 10:54 AM
I know the biscuits are quite different, in that Buttermilk is less fluffy with more of a crunch to the outside. Also seasoned differently. Todd Woodruff said their take is less traditional.

This is making my hungry... I may have to go to Buttermilk for a late lunch and sit on their patio and watch Paseo action.

I'm headed to Savory Spice at lunch to pick up some Ghost Pepper Salt and I'm torn on whether to hit my usual spot of The Drum Room for chicken and waffles or skip over to Paseo on the way back and try Buttermilk.

Rover
03-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Went to HBBC for first time this last Sunday morning. The meal was good, but not on my "carb friendly" diet...not that I'm complaining. :)

However, when my wife and I showed up, there were 4-5 open tables. My wife went to a table and sat down while I went up to order. One of the personnel then informed us she wasn't supposed to go sit at a table til we got our order and asked us BOTH to go stand in line. Seemed silly. There were multiple open tables with only one or two in line. This seemed like a case of "the rules are the rules" and not very common sense customer friendly. If there was a long line and we jumped ahead to grab a table I would have understood.

Though it was good, it wasn't good enough to drive down and stand in line. Too many other options. Can't wait to get to Buttermilk and try them out.

Mantison
03-22-2018, 11:46 AM
I'm headed to Savory Spice at lunch to pick up some Ghost Pepper Salt and I'm torn on whether to hit my usual spot of The Drum Room for chicken and waffles or skip over to Paseo on the way back and try Buttermilk.

I am at Drum Room about 4 days a week, sometimes 5-6, lol. I like your style !

Sorry to divert from HB talk, lol. Also, I hit Buttermilk for lunch, will post in that one shortly.

TheTravellers
03-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Though it was good, it wasn't good enough to drive down and stand in line. Too many other options. ...

This is going to be the problem for us with them and a lot of the new places, maybe it'll get better when the "new" wears off, or maybe not (which would be good for them, not for us :)). The drive isn't too bad since we live in Venice, but there's very little food or restaurants worth standing in line or waiting more than about 20-30 mins for now, too many other options, as you said. We're going to try HunnyBunny on Sat, but if the line's too long, we can go to Scottie's, Gusto, Pump Bar, maybe Ur/Bun (all within walking distance), or get back in the car and go a mile or two into the Paseo or up Western or ...........

Still need to make it to Hatch downtown because we've been waiting for the "new" to wear off of them, or at least some of their customers to go to the new location (if it's open yet), but I hear their wait times are still ridiculous (can't use nowait because my phone's too old, need to get a new one, but that might take a while).

Pete
03-22-2018, 12:04 PM
^

Seems like the better breakfast places maintain those lines well after opening. Waffle Champion still has crazy lines as does Hatch, Neighborhood Jam and Cafe Kacao.

I think you have to wait for lunch in order to avoid a good wait at any of these places.

zefferoni
03-22-2018, 12:09 PM

I've only had Buttermilk's truck so far, but I like the style at Hunny Bunny more. That being said, I have a weakness for any biscuit if the gravy's good. I'm looking forward to trying Buttermilk's brick and mortar.

TheTravellers
03-22-2018, 01:24 PM
^

Seems like the better breakfast places maintain those lines well after opening. Waffle Champion still has crazy lines as does Hatch, Neighborhood Jam and Cafe Kacao.

I think you have to wait for lunch in order to avoid a good wait at any of these places.

We do, we generally never eat anywhere on a Saturday before 1:00, and that's for places that close at 2:00 (worked in restaurants for a while, so I never get to a place any later than 30 minutes before closing :)), and for places that close at 3 or 4, we get there around 2-ish.