View Full Version : Macaroni Grill

Pete
07-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Gonzo.

Was the only location in the state. Will be interesting to see what goes into this building on NW Expressway near Lake Hefner Parkway.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/macaroni1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/macaroni2.jpg

jn1780
07-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Olive Garden has better food and service than this place did for a cheaper price so its not surprising they couldn't compete with the other more upscale Italian eateries.

bchris02
07-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Macaroni Grill was great a decade ago (the 2000s were the heydey of these fast-casual style chains), but it's been decline for a long time. Last time I ate at OKC's location, my food took forever and was cold by the time they brought it out. I never went back.

Pete
07-12-2017, 04:37 PM
I think I only went in there once and it was in the 80's.

luke911
07-12-2017, 04:56 PM
This is across from my office. We tried their 15 minute lunch a few months ago and it took 45 minutes. They argued when we pushed the policy. I’m sorry for the jobs lost but this place sucked and I’m glad they are closed.

Colbafone
07-12-2017, 05:21 PM
This would make an EXCELLENT Braums location.

TheTravellers
07-12-2017, 06:35 PM
This would make an EXCELLENT Braums location.

:congrats:

gopokes88
07-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Meh

bchris02
07-12-2017, 08:15 PM
This is across from my office. We tried their 15 minute lunch a few months ago and it took 45 minutes. They argued when we pushed the policy. I’m sorry for the jobs lost but this place sucked and I’m glad they are closed.

It's a shame. In the '90s and early '00s they were pretty good. They are a notch above Olive Garden...more like a Carrabba's. I would say Zio's today is pretty close to what Macaroni Grill once was.

emtefury
07-12-2017, 08:51 PM
I had a feeling it would close. I went there a few times with my wife because she liked a specific meal. It was never too crowded and I said to her this place will be closed soon.

bchris02
07-12-2017, 10:58 PM
I had a feeling it would close. I went there a few times with my wife because she liked a specific meal. It was never too crowded and I said to her this place will be closed soon.

True. Last time I ate there, hardly nobody was in the restaurant. Back in the 2000s it was the kind of place where you had a wait if you went on a busy night.

I think Macaroni Grill is a part of a larger national trend. The casual dining chains that dominated the '90s and the '00s are all struggling. I'm thinking of places like Applebees, Chili's, TGI Friday's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Hooter's, etc. Add Macaroni Grill in with them.

I am kind of sad to see it go in a way because of the nostalgia. I loved Macaroni Grill in its heyday but only ate there once in the past five years.

gopokes88
07-12-2017, 11:29 PM
Chains are going to die long term. Local restaurants can be cheaper, the same or slightly more but offer a far better experience.

marky_d
07-13-2017, 01:45 AM
Yep. A couple months ago I paid a visit after not having been there since the early 2000s. I remember how good it was so I was a bit excited, but it ended up being a huge letdown. The chicken was rubbery, potatoes slightly undercooked, and wait staff was difficult to find despite not being busy at all. I wasn't planning on coming back, ever, so bye I guess.

SoonerDave
07-13-2017, 04:59 AM
Olive Garden has better food and service than this place did for a cheaper price so its not surprising they couldn't compete with the other more upscale Italian eateries.

Sorry, but on its worst day, Macaroni Grille was 10x better than the nearest Olive Garden crapfest. And Mac Grille hasn't been relevant in a decade.

Roger S
07-13-2017, 06:41 AM
Was only in there one time to use a gift certificate I was given.... Never felt a reason to go back and spend my own money there..... If I have to do the chain Italian thing I prefer Johnny Carino's and only them for that toasted garlic they give you with the dipping oil.

FighttheGoodFight
07-13-2017, 08:08 AM
True. Last time I ate there, hardly nobody was in the restaurant. Back in the 2000s it was the kind of place where you had a wait if you went on a busy night.

I think Macaroni Grill is a part of a larger national trend. The casual dining chains that dominated the '90s and the '00s are all struggling. I'm thinking of places like Applebees, Chili's, TGI Friday's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Hooter's, etc. Add Macaroni Grill in with them.

I am kind of sad to see it go in a way because of the nostalgia. I loved Macaroni Grill in its heyday but only ate there once in the past five years.

I would agree except for Buffalo Wild Wings. That place is always completely packed in Norman. I never really saw the appeal but I'm not a big wings guy.

LakeEffect
07-13-2017, 08:12 AM
My wife and I were commenting recently that Italian is our least go-to type of food. We like it, but it never pops in our mind to go eat. Random aside comment... but maybe many people are like us?

Pete
07-13-2017, 08:28 AM
My wife and I were commenting recently that Italian is our least go-to type of food. We like it, but it never pops in our mind to go eat. Random aside comment... but maybe many people are like us?

I can completely relate to that.

I can make most Italian dishes at home without too much trouble. Unless there is a place that offers amazing Italian food, I'd rather seek out food types that aren't as easily replicated and/or offer a special environment.

I have developed a fondness for Gabriella's but even then I don't go very often.

SoonerDave
07-13-2017, 08:34 AM

I **LOVE** good Italian food. The problem is that, very often, it's a HUGE calorie load, especially some wonderful lasagna, so it makes it at best a special treat for me. Gabriella's is a big deal for us, but its a once- or twice-a-year thing, maybe a birthday (and the last time we went it didn't knock us all out, which was kinda odd).

More broadly, however, I've thought there was an unsustainable glut of Italian restaurants in town, so it doesn't surprise me to see them start to thin out some. We used to go to Macaroni Grille a bunch when it first opened; back when they did the opera singer schtick, and back then, their bread was really, really good, and it was worth making the trip over there. But, one day, we went there, the bread was bad (we guess they'd gone from site-made to some refrigerated, remote-made dough they simply stuck in the oven), and the food went downhill, so we just stopped going.

We went, once, on a lark, about two (?) years ago, and *nothing* about it merited a return trip anymore. It wasn't a fraction of what it was when it opened. We never went back, and I'm not at all surprised to see that it is gone. Zio's is heading the same direction; although it never aspired (IMHO) to be an "upscale family Italian place," it was a good, economical place for a family, and I think since they changed owners, their prices have skyrocketed and their service has deteriorated...but I guess that's an aside.

stile99
07-13-2017, 08:37 AM
I love Italian, but I find I rarely go out for it because it seems relatively expensive for what it is. For example there's a lot of pasta, and for the $13.99 for a small square of lasagna (priced from Olive Garden's website), you can make 2 or 3 full size ones at home. A family-style lasagna bundle is $60...it's a damned small lasagna for that price, but you also get some breadsticks, salad, and a 2-liter (what, that's like a buck?) of soda. Grilled chicken parm is $15.29. For chicken and pasta. That's just crazy.

Now of course, start factoring in that if you know how to cook Italian you're going to get a WAY better dish with tons less salt for that price, and it's hard to see a reason to go out for it.

jn1780
07-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Sorry, but on its worst day, Macaroni Grille was 10x better than the nearest Olive Garden crapfest. And Mac Grille hasn't been relevant in a decade.

Well, it apparently got worse since you went two years ago. I went there recently with a gift card and didn't find the food good at all. Maybe I just had a super bad experience. Not saying Olive Garden is great or anything but their crap doesn't cost as much.

If I wanted to pay Marconi Grille prices, I would go to Johnny Carinos.

Roger S
07-13-2017, 08:44 AM
The problem is that, very often, it's a HUGE calorie load, especially some wonderful lasagna, so it makes it at best a special treat for me.

This! And as Pete said pasta dishes are easy enough to make at home. I can whip up a sauce and protein in the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta.... And I'm also a fan of Pete's Place (The other Pete). So usually when I want Italian I plan a trip to Krebs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTXpHNmFIey/?taken-by=ok_bbq_eater_anon
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUQV_oYlE9n/?taken-by=ok_bbq_eater_anon

Pete
07-13-2017, 08:50 AM
In most cases, I prefer homemade Italian food (either my own or someone else's) to restaurant fare.

And I feel the same exact way about steak. Get a nice cut and cook it yourself for 1/10th the cost. Easy and as good or often better. Even in nice steakhouses, I almost always order something else for this reason... And I generally avoid steakhouses in general.

But there are other types of cuisine that tend to require special equipment (huge smokers, wood-fired pizza ovens, deep fryers, clay ovens, and all the various contraptions used in Asian cooking) and thus make it far easier just to go out and be served. And/or there are types of cooking and preparation (sushi leaps to mind) where I want someone else to do it for me.

Italian is just too easy and inexpensive to make at home.

bchris02
07-16-2017, 12:42 PM
More broadly, however, I've thought there was an unsustainable glut of Italian restaurants in town, so it doesn't surprise me to see them start to thin out some. We used to go to Macaroni Grille a bunch when it first opened; back when they did the opera singer schtick, and back then, their bread was really, really good, and it was worth making the trip over there. But, one day, we went there, the bread was bad (we guess they'd gone from site-made to some refrigerated, remote-made dough they simply stuck in the oven), and the food went downhill, so we just stopped going.

That was the Macaroni Grill of 10-15 years ago that I remember. I really do miss it. The restaurant during its later years was a shell of what it used to be.

SomeGuy
07-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Eh it was good a long time ago, then they started changing the menu a lot and I discovered Zio's, which is better and around the same price.

Paseofreak
07-16-2017, 05:15 PM
In general, I agree with all the recent comments about restaurant Italian quality vs. cost. However, for me there is one exception. Bella Vista. Sure it's a bit if a drive and the facade is ghetto as it can be, but the lasagna dinner with a big salad, wonderful bread and a drink for well under $20 is just too good to pass up. The lasagna is (in my mind) absolutely perfectly classic and I can barely ambulated out of the place afterward. Orders of magnitude better than OG or MG. Side note: Flip's lasagna dinner runs a close second. More of a rustic style, but still a great solution for the Italian craving of a single person. If one didn't get gluttonous, there's enough there for two good meals.

SoonerDave
07-16-2017, 10:51 PM
Okay, I'll get crushed for recommending a chain, but I can't deny my own experience: the lasagna I had at a Maggiano's in Dallas was incredible -- chain notwithstanding.

Dustin
07-17-2017, 10:10 AM
The baked spasagna at Cheddars is really good.

bchris02
07-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Okay, I'll get crushed for recommending a chain, but I can't deny my own experience: the lasagna I had at a Maggiano's in Dallas was incredible -- chain notwithstanding.

I remember Maggiano's from when I lived in Charlotte. It's great. Though it's a chain, it's a more exclusive one (you typically only find them in large cities) and the quality is top notch. I would classify them with McCormick & Schmick's, Capital Grille, etc. It's a different category than your average family-casual chains you find in every town, large and small across the country.

SoonerDave
07-17-2017, 11:13 AM

Wish I had a "Like" button here. Absolutely true. There was a place I visited in Chicago years ago that had a baked/skillet spaghetti dish that was really similar and just excellent.

jbkrems
07-17-2017, 10:33 PM
Maggiano's is probably the best Italian chain out there, but until then, we have to suffer with Bravo!

SoonerQueen
07-17-2017, 11:19 PM

My favorite thing on their menu.

Bigrayok
07-18-2017, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=Paseofreak;1000641]In general, I agree with all the recent comments about restaurant Italian quality vs. cost. However, for me there is one exception. Bella Vista. Sure it's a bit if a drive and the facade is ghetto as it can be, but the lasagna dinner with a big salad, wonderful bread and a drink for well under $20 is just too good to pass up. The lasagna is (in my mind) absolutely perfectly classic and I can barely ambulated out of the place afterward. Orders of magnitude better than OG or MG. Side note: Flip's lasagna dinner runs a close second. More of a rustic style, but still a great solution for the Italian craving of a single person. If one didn't get gluttonous, there's enough there for two good meals.

I love Bella Vista. They have good Italian dishes, salads, and pizza.

Bigrayok
07-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Maggiano's is probably the best Italian chain out there, but until then, we have to suffer with Bravo!

Maggianos and Macaroni Grill used to be owned by the same company-Brinker International that also owns Chili's. Macaroni Grill was started by Phil Romano who started Fuddruckers and Rudy's BBQ. He later partnered with Brinker to develop the chain.

SoonerQueen
08-06-2017, 10:21 PM
Perfect location for a Cheddars. I love that place and their spasagna is delicious. I agree Dustin. I had it tonight in Norman. It's a shame they don't have a location in the city.

SoonerDave
08-07-2017, 04:45 AM
Perfect location for a Cheddars. I love that place and their spasagna is delicious. I agree Dustin. I had it tonight in Norman. It's a shame they don't have a location in the city.

Here here!!! I'd love to have a Cheddar's in OKC - it's a tremendously affordable, family-friendly place with consistently good food and a pleasant atmosphere. I had hoped we might get one at the long-vacant corner at SW 104th and Crest, but unfortunately we're stuck with a variety of fast-food joints.

bchris02
08-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Doesn't Midwest City have a Cheddar's?

Regardless, I won't eat at Cheddar's because I was at one in Wichita once and a huge 3-inch long juicy cockroach went running across our table. I know that kind of thing could happen anywhere but eeesh, cockroaches aren't my thing. I have long boycotted the Steak and Catfish Barn for the same reason.

stile99
08-10-2017, 06:34 AM
MWC does indeed have a Cheddar's, as does Norman and soon, technically speaking OKC will. One is going in at the Czech Village at Czech Hall and NW 10th. But since it is the south side, it's OKC. I love Cheddar's so I can't wait, but I'm going to have to...last time I checked dirt hadn't even been moved.

SoonerDave
08-10-2017, 06:46 AM
MWC does indeed have a Cheddar's, as does Norman and soon, technically speaking OKC will. One is going in at the Czech Village at Czech Hall and NW 10th. But since it is the south side, it's OKC. I love Cheddar's so I can't wait, but I'm going to have to...last time I checked dirt hadn't even been moved.

It's great to hear of a new Cheddar's, but for us that's not much closer than the Norman location - in fact, it's almost the same distance as I eyeball it on Google Maps. Maybe the new location is indicative of a trend where they're building more toward these expanding areas and perhaps one will go in somewhere along I-44 toward Tri City...I know, I know, probably wishful thinking/pipe dreaming...

jbkrems
08-10-2017, 10:25 AM
In other words, Cheddars is coming to Yukon/Mustang area?

Pete
08-10-2017, 10:42 AM
In other words, Cheddars is coming to Yukon/Mustang area?

Czech Hall and I-40 along with Hooters.

SoonerDave
08-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Czech Hall and I-40 along with Hooters.

It's actually a dual-space combo thing, "Cheddar Hooters..."

I keeed:)

Jeepnokc
08-10-2017, 08:51 PM
It's actually a dual-space combo thing, "Cheddar Hooters..."

I keeed:)

Chooters