View Full Version : Nashbird

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pete
06-05-2017, 09:49 AM
This is a new concept by Marc Dunham of Iguana fame and will be located in the old Hillbillies space on 9th in Automobile Alley.

It will feature "Nashville Hot Chicken" which has the spice in the chicken coating itself, rather than applied through a sauce.

Work has already started on the renovation and expansion of the patio and they hope to open in July.

https://www.facebook.com/nashbirdchicken/

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nashbird3.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nashbird1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nashbird2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nashbird4.jpg

From the Oklahoman (http://newsok.com/article/5547617):

Nashbird will feature the spicy version of fried chicken made famous in Music City by Prince's Hot Chicken.

For fried chicken purists, there will be an on-bone option. The menu also will have The Hot Dang! Chicken Sandwich, a grilled chicken sandwich, wings and a variety of other southern specialties like mac 'n‘ cheese and cucumber and watermelon salad.

Oklahoma Ranch chicken will be a version for those who don't prefer spicy food and Nashbird Nuggets for kids.

Nashbird, which offer counter service restaurant, also will have cold beer, quality whiskey and a program of distinctive cocktails available.

Pete
06-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Has anybody had Nashville hot chicken?

It sounds very much like something I would enjoy, especially the spicy part.

Roger S
06-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Yes.... I made the tourist mistake of eating the XXX Hot at Prince's and it almost killed me.... Not so much the spiciness but the combination of the grease and an industrial sized bottle of cayenne they use on it..... I really wanted to try Hattie B's that day also but I almost had a reversal of fortune walking across the parking lot to my car..... So I went to my hotel and weeped. ;)

I'd probably eat it again though! LOL

seaofchange
06-06-2017, 03:50 PM

My husband got it at two places when we were in Nashville. He loves hot/spicy things and he was dying. He said he's have it again, but it was making him sweat and turn red. Haha.

DoctorTaco
06-07-2017, 08:55 AM

I looove spicy food and the Hot Chicken I had in Nashville almost destroyed me. I was a wreck for a full 24 hours following consumption. I never have this reaction to spicy foods, so it was weird.

And I only had the second hottest option. I cannot fathom if I'd gone full-caliber.

Roger S
06-07-2017, 09:04 AM
I looove spicy food and the Hot Chicken I had in Nashville almost destroyed me. I was a wreck for a full 24 hours following consumption. I never have this reaction to spicy foods, so it was weird.

And I only had the second hottest option. I cannot fathom if I'd gone full-caliber.

Same here... I eat a lot of Ghost Pepper sauces and that chicken wrecked me. Not for a full 24 but for a few hours it was pretty touch and go.

FighttheGoodFight
06-07-2017, 09:07 AM
You guys are really selling me on this place.... :rolleyes:

Pete
06-07-2017, 09:13 AM

Haha... Me too!

I'm sure they will have all levels of spiciness and I hope they don't dumb-down the really hot versions for those of us who always tend to be disappointed by what others consider too hot.

BTW, I love this space and always thought it deserved something better than Hillbillies, which I really tried to like but couldn't get there. There is a great long bar that overlooks the tracks and looks like they are adding to the outdoor space.

It's a great setting and Marc Dunham knows what he's doing. Really looking forward to this.

Roger S
06-07-2017, 09:27 AM

HAHA.... Well as I said above... I fell into the tourist trap.... I've since been told the locals order the less spicy version.

Nashbird has already said they would be trying to cater to everyone's palettes...... Me being a chilihead will have to try their hottest version at least once... :evilsmile

I've also seen a lot of their pics and I'm expecting this to be a more chef driven version of Nashville Hot Chicken than you will find in Nashville.... I know Hattie B's in Nashville is in a nicer location but Prince's is in a pretty rough and tough part of Nashville.... Just two doors down a group was serving free meals to the homeless/needy while a line was forming in front of Prince's and Prince's prices were very reasonable and the food was very very blue collar.

FighttheGoodFight
06-07-2017, 09:32 AM
HAHA.... Well as I said above... I fell into the tourist trap.... I've since been told the locals order the less spicy version.

Nashbird has already said they would be trying to cater to everyone's palettes...... Me being a chilihead will have to try their hottest version at least once... :evilsmile

I've also seen a lot of their pics and I'm expecting this to be a more chef driven version of Nashville Hot Chicken than you will find in Nashville.... I know Hattie B's in Nashville is in a nicer location but Prince's is in a pretty rough and tough part of Nashville.... Just two doors down a group was serving free meals to the homeless/needy while a line was forming in front of Prince's and Prince's prices were very reasonable and the food was very very blue collar.

I mean I like a little spice but I don't think I enjoy a bathroom run for 24 hours. I will wait for you all to review it for me.

I always loved that space and when we lived downtown we loved sitting outside having some moonshine cherry drinks. This new space looks very nice.

Pete
06-07-2017, 09:33 AM
^

The quiet zone suuuure makes a difference here.

In my few visits to Hillbillies the trains are so close that when they blasted their horns it was pretty nerve-wracking.

jccouger
06-07-2017, 09:37 AM
If you ever spot chef rays street eats food truck around town you better try it. It's won all kinds of awards and national recognition for their hot chicken.

adaniel
06-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Hot chicken is not for the weak. I have a pretty high tolerance for spicy food and I have trouble finishing it. It was actually first created as a way for a wife to get revenge on her cheating husband, if that tells you something. I am pretty surprised it has taken off as a trend. Hot chicken was something you couldn't find outside of the black neighborhoods in Nashville up until 3 or 4 years ago. But as a soul food lover, I'm not complaining. It's a definite upgrade over Hillbillies, for sure.

Also, I just realized this is my first post in 9 months. Hello everyone!

Pete
06-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Also, I just realized this is my first post in 9 months. Hello everyone!

Haha... Don't be such a stranger!

Thomas Vu
06-07-2017, 04:16 PM
This is the kind of stuff I like coming to these forums for.

When I think Tennessee in general, I think bbq. Never would I have found out that (albeit a part of) Tennessee does hot chicken. I'd like to know the food states/cities are known for and try it all.

MikeLucky
06-07-2017, 07:45 PM
This thread is making me feel so much better.

I am half messican and have been eating spicy food my entire life. Very spicy. In fact I don't know many people that can handle more spicy than I usually can. I make Carolina Reaper salsa.

When my wife and I were in Nashville last summer we needed to try some authentic Nashville hot chicken. We drove to the hoooooood to get the original Prince's chicken. We stood in line for 45 minutes, in the non air conditioned restaurant. Wife ordered mild and I decided to go with medium because I thought I was heeding the warnings and didn't want to hurt myself, pride be damned. We took it back to our Airbnb to dine.

Well, needless to say the medium literally LIT ME UP. I could barely even eat it yet I ate every bite because it tasted so good. And, and an hour later the trouble began... And continued every hour or two all night long. That chicken tore me up for 24+ hours. But, damn if it wasn't tasty.

bradh
06-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Why would anyone pay for this torture? Lol

Good to see you're alive adaniel, welcome back

HangryHippo
06-07-2017, 08:36 PM
I'm not at all familiar with Nashville hot chicken - what in the hell do they do it that makes it so spicy?

Roger S
06-07-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm not at all familiar with Nashville hot chicken - what in the hell do they do it that makes it so spicy?

They overdose it with cayenne pepper..... I'm talking a lot of cayenne pepper!

jccouger
06-08-2017, 08:24 AM
It also has an insane amount of grease, that is infused with the spices itself, which tends to have a coating effect on your insides. Really lubes things up.

Roger S
06-08-2017, 08:30 AM
It also has an insane amount of grease, that is infused with the spices itself, which tends to have a coating effect on your insides. Really lubes things up.

Yep.... Usually any kind of fat helps block the capsaicin too but the XXX is pain after a few bites.... Only thing that really got me through it was I had macaroni salad with mine for some additional fat and I took a bite of it and a swig of lemonade between each bite...... Also probably didn't help that I tried to eat the grease and cayenne soaked bread at the bottom of the basket after I finished the chicken..... that was definitely a rookie mistake but man that grease and cayenne soaked bread was tasty!

adaniel
06-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Well, needless to say the medium literally LIT ME UP. I could barely even eat it yet I ate every bite because it tasted so good. And, and an hour later the trouble began... And continued every hour or two all night long. That chicken tore me up for 24+ hours. But, damn if it wasn't tasty.

Bwahahaha! Yeah I wasn't going to bring this up, but yeah you really need a strong stomach to eat something with so much cayenne. Hot going in...hot coming out LOL!

Good to see you're alive adaniel, welcome back

Haha... Don't be such a stranger!

Thanks guys! Unfortunately life has somewhat gotten in the way the past few months but hope to be back permanently.

ctchandler
06-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Hot going in...hot coming out LOL!
Just finish it off with ice cream, and the next morning when you are doing your thing (toilet) yell "come on ice cream".
C. T.

Roger S
06-09-2017, 06:52 AM
Just finish it off with ice cream, and the next morning when you are doing your thing (toilet) yell "come on ice cream".
C. T.

LMAO..... I've eaten a few things hot enough that I was eating the ice cream while I was sitting and yelling that! ;)

Pete
06-11-2017, 06:46 AM
They plan to open more locations once up and running:

http://www.405magazine.com/Nashbird-Blazes-Into-OKC/

Urbanized
06-11-2017, 06:55 AM
But...but...then it will be a CHAIN!

Thomas Vu
06-11-2017, 10:51 AM
I sense...salt?

Pete
07-11-2017, 08:19 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nashbird070917.jpg

John Knight
07-21-2017, 07:08 AM
Several images from their IG feed:

13993 13994 13995 1399613997

Pete
07-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Dave Cathey reported they hope to open in earlly August.

Really looking forward to trying it and have always love that space, which should be considerably nicer now.

Roger S
07-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Dave Cathey reported they hope to open in earlly August.

Really looking forward to trying it and have always love that space, which should be considerably nicer now.

I'm sure my doctor is going to be very disappointed that I will probably be a regular customer here..... lol

I love fried chicken and I love spicy so the combination is irresistable to me!

no1cub17
07-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Tried the Nashville hot chicken which is on the menu at Jones - awesome! My first time trying it - wow! It wasn't terribly spicy by my standards, but my wife and I eat spicier food than most Oklahomans, so there's that.

Pete
07-26-2017, 05:37 AM
Tried the Nashville hot chicken which is on the menu at Jones - awesome! My first time trying it - wow! It wasn't terribly spicy by my standards, but my wife and I eat spicier food than most Oklahomans, so there's that.

I had it last night too at Jones and loved it. Hope Nashbird is similar.

This is from their Instagram page:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nashbird072617.jpg

Pete
07-28-2017, 06:06 AM
Menu from https://twitter.com/uncoveringok#:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nashbird072717.jpg

FighttheGoodFight
07-28-2017, 07:47 AM
Ok I want this. Brining my Zantac in with me.

Roger S
07-28-2017, 08:16 AM
Yeah.... I know at some point I'm going to try that Crazy Hot but think I'll start with the XXX.

Glad to see mac & cheese and potato salad on the menu as side items..... Honestly about the only thing that got me through the Prince's XXX chicken experience was the bite of potato salad I would take between every couple of bites of chicken to temper the burn a little bit.

One other thing that really catches my attention on this menu is the 3rd ingredient in the Nashmix..... Crispy chicken skin! Yummmmm!!!

sooner88
07-28-2017, 09:35 AM
Menu looks great, can't wait to try it. Has anyone every seen Cold fried chicken on a menu before??

Roger S
07-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Menu looks great, can't wait to try it. Has anyone every seen Cold fried chicken on a menu before??

Nope but I have a couple of friends that prefer it cold so they will be happy to see it.

benjico
07-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Great price point.

Pete
07-28-2017, 10:45 AM
I smell a hit.

And I've always loved that space and look forward to having good reasons to patronize it.

Pete
08-02-2017, 07:59 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nashbird080117.jpg

FighttheGoodFight
08-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Looks awesome

Pete
08-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Trying to pin them down on an opening date, which should be soon.

I have the feeling I'm going to love this place. I've always love the space and the bar that looks over the RR tracks.

BridgeBurner
08-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Trying to pin them down on an opening date, which should be soon.

I have the feeling I'm going to love this place. I've always love the space and the bar that looks over the RR tracks.

I know, I can't wait for Nashbird and Prairie to open up- I check for updates on grand openings dates constantly haha

Roger S
08-02-2017, 12:49 PM
I know, I can't wait for Nashbird and Prairie to open up- I check for updates on grand openings dates constantly haha

Go apply for a job and see if they will tell you what day you would be starting. ;)

Timshel
08-04-2017, 08:03 AM
Went to a soft opening last night. All things considered it was a good experience. We had fried pickles, a chicken biscuit, hot chicken basket, mac and cheese, and the cucumber and watermelon salad. I think it will do really well and look forward to trying it again.

Pros:
the chicken was fried really well - very crispy - and was moist and tender;
the fried pickles were great - I like that they are long slivers instead of rounds;
the cucumber and watermelon salad was also great - possibly the standout of the meal;
portions are huge - for reference, the chicken biscuit and chicken sandwich are probably twice the size of a chick-fil-a sandwich;
the biscuit had great flavor and was very moist, though it didn't hold together well - knife and fork required;
the service was great - it was completely full and the food came quickly, was hot, and was what we ordered.

Cons:
disappointed in the lack of heat. we got the "kickin" (2/4 on the spicy index) thinking the chicken would have some heat but not be outrageous and that the crazy hot would be on the level of Prince's. Unfortunately, it barely had any spice at all. Given they (smartly) have a lot of non-spicy options I was expecting all of the hot chicken baskets to have a fair amount of heat. Will just have to be sure to order the crazy hot next time; and
the mac and cheese didn't have a huge amount of flavor by itself but was good with the addition of salt, pepper, and Louisiana hot sauce.

Pete
08-04-2017, 08:06 AM
^

Thanks very much for the report.

Did you happen to notice if they had any/many beers on tap?

Timshel
08-04-2017, 08:11 AM
^

Thanks very much for the report.

Did you happen to notice if they had any/many beers on tap?

There were approx. 6 taps. Didn't get a good look but the handles on the taps looked like the usual suspects based on a glance from far away. However, they were only serving 3.2 beer. From what I could gather they may not have their liquor license yet (this is speculation - not fact).

Andrew4OU
08-04-2017, 08:25 AM
I was in Nashville last weekend and tried Prince's . I can't stop thinking about it. Good thing this place is opening up soon.

riflesforwatie
08-04-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm going to do my part to keep this place in business. Hoping to become a regular!

Anonymous.
08-04-2017, 09:48 AM
That looks delicious. I didn't get any invites to soft openings, but I am tempted to be 'that guy' and just show up, because I can't wait any longer!

sooner88
08-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Sounds like they plan to open next week sometime. Excited to try it out.

FighttheGoodFight
08-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Really interesting report this morning on NPR about Nashville hot chicken and its rapid trend of expanding.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/08/07/life/hot-chicken-makes-its-way-across-pond

Pete
08-11-2017, 06:57 AM
Nashbird opens tomorrow (Saturday) at 10:30AM.

Pete
08-12-2017, 04:32 PM
They closed out at 3PM because they ran out of food.

Will reopen Tuesday for lunch.

DickTracy
08-12-2017, 05:34 PM
They closed out at 3PM because they ran out of food.

Will reopen Tuesday for lunch.

Sounds like they need a new ��*��, that knows how to properly order food. Unless that's the model, open at 11 until sold out... like Maples

sooner88
08-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Sounds like they underestimated the demand today.... I'm sure they'll be well prepared Tuesday and is a great sign for their first day.

Pete
08-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Scottie's Deli closed early today as well for the same reason.

Both places overwhelmed by demand, which is a good sign for their business.

jonny d
08-12-2017, 11:29 PM
Scottie's Deli closed early today as well for the same reason.

Both places overwhelmed by demand, which is a good sign for their business.

Only if they are eventually able to meet that demand with their supply. I hope they both adapt to the demand to be able to fully meet it! If so, OKC has 2 really good gems here!

Pete
08-16-2017, 05:27 AM
I went last night and ordered the 3 jumbo tenders basket and chose the watermelon cucumber salad and onion rings as my sides.

I specified the "XXX" heat, which is next to the very hottest. It was somewhat spicy but not overly so. I'll try the hottest variety next time just out of curiosity.

The chicken was very moist and tender and the two sides were excellent. Way too much food for one person... For $10 you could easily split the meal.

Completely different than the Nashville Hot Chicken at the Jones... Not only is the latter pounded flat like a cutlet, the batter/coating is completely different. Where Nashbird's batter is relatively light and flaky, Jones was more dense and also more flavorful.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nashbird081517.jpg