View Full Version : El Pollo Chulo

Roger S
04-25-2017, 07:22 AM
Drove down South Western yesterday and saw El Pollo Chulo (http://elpollochulo.com/#hourslocation) is opening a second location on the east end of the strip center being built where the original Nino's was located. Their other location is in Warr Acres.

I was really hoping they would incorporate that old Nino's sign into that development somehow but it was gone yesterday.... Worked there when I was going to college so it had some sentimental value.

Martin
04-25-2017, 07:50 AM
good: another place to try out in south okc.

weird: 'pimp' chicken... really?

Roger S
04-25-2017, 07:57 AM
good: another place to try out in south okc.

weird: 'pimp' chicken... really?

HAHA... Yep!

MattB
07-19-2017, 02:13 AM
I'd avoid it. I've been in the kitchen after hours at the Warr Acres location. Stay away.

Paseofreak
07-19-2017, 02:34 AM
Sampled it several months ago. Arrived at about 11:30 am. Everything solid - the chicken, onions, and peppers were served at about 80 degrees. Felt it all for temp and stopped after two bites. Taste was OK, but I can do much better on my Weber in less than an hour. Churro Beans on the other hand, were hot and I couldn't even come close to making them that good. Final analysis: never again unless I just stop to pick up beans, and only if they're hot. I perceive a massive health hazard.

Paseofreak
07-19-2017, 02:40 AM
There are regions of the country where roosters (and somehow when it's cooked, both genders) are referred to as "Yard Pimps". Presumably reflecting the strutting behavior they exhibit before serving. East Tennessee and Northern New England, that I'm aware of.

payrod
08-02-2017, 02:49 PM
I love El Pollo Chulo!

Martin
01-15-2018, 09:07 AM
noticed a sign this past weekend that says this place is now open...

Martin
02-24-2018, 12:50 PM
checked this place out today... people behind the counter were really nice. however, the chicken left a lot to be desired. the flavor was ok if not a little salty but the chicken was cut into small pieces, many of which were pretty dry and overcooked. when we came in, you could see all of the chicken that they had already cooked just being held to temperature on the grill and what we ate tasted as if it had hung out on that grill for awhile. there's just too much competition in this area with plenty of places putting out a much better product for me to justify giving el pollo chulo another try.

next door is a place called el fogon de edgar which, according to the sign, features columbian food... will have to try that out sometime.

Roger S
02-24-2018, 03:12 PM
next door is a place called el fogon de edgar which, according to the sign, features columbian food... will have to try that out sometime.

Interesting. Wonder if he is opening 2nd location or relocating.

TheTravellers
02-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Interesting. Wonder if he is opening 2nd location or relocating.

Completely coincidentally, we drove by the original location today and it looked like it was being remodeled (signs sideways in the window, ladders, etc.), or more likely, moved out of, so I'm betting he's relocating.

corwin1968
04-10-2019, 06:24 PM
There is El Pollo Chulo signage up at the new strip mall on the NW corner of Penn and NW 178th.