View Full Version : Baker Street

Pete
04-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Looks like they have closed their OKC location at 2701 W. Memorial.

shawnw
04-03-2017, 02:39 PM
How does that bode for the Midtown location?

Pete
04-03-2017, 02:41 PM
How does that bode for the Midtown location?

You must be thinking of Baker Street Escapes going into the Swanson's Tire project.

The two are unrelated.

Bill Robertson
04-03-2017, 03:08 PM
I heard a couple months ago that this was going to happen from a manager at another Memorial Rd establishment we frequent. I blew it off as her shooting off at the mouth I've known her to do. Oops!

For what it's worth she told us at the same time that Rock & Brews was heading for a similar fate.

shawnw
04-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Oh oops, yes, sorry, thought they were two different locations of the same place

marky_d
04-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Wow, wasn't expecting this. Anyone have any insight or even rumours as to why this happened?

bchris02
04-03-2017, 03:52 PM
I would like to see a concept similar to Baker Street downtown somewhere. It seems like the kind of thing that would do well in Bricktown or Midtown.

bradh
04-03-2017, 04:33 PM
how much is the awful traffic situation between May and Penn causing this?

jbkrems
04-03-2017, 06:56 PM
This is not a surprise... Baker Street closed their Tulsa location last year. Now they've closed their Memorial Road location. I think that this is a sign of problems with the sports bar concept on Memorial Road. We all know Fox & Hound, which would have been competition for Baker Street closed last year, and is still vacant. Now Baker Street has also closed. The new choices for sports bar on Memorial Road are Pub W, and... that's kind of it. I've been to Hudson's Public House in far North Edmond and it's great, too.

jbkrems
04-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Rock & Brews... that's also there. Never been, but I hear its good.

Pete
04-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Fox & Hound was sold to new owners who are putting in a large Asian fusion restaurant.

kswright29
04-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Rock & Brews... that's also there. Never been, but I hear its good.

I hope that's not true for Rock & Brews, but wouldn't be surprised. I love that place, but it's rarely very crowded. Surprisingly great food, some of the best wings in town IMO, good beer selection, super cool décor, nice patio, and an app that allows you to select and play music videos on the big screens. What more could you want?!

gopokes88
04-03-2017, 08:12 PM
This is not a surprise... Baker Street closed their Tulsa location last year. Now they've closed their Memorial Road location. I think that this is a sign of problems with the sports bar concept on Memorial Road. We all know Fox & Hound, which would have been competition for Baker Street closed last year, and is still vacant. Now Baker Street has also closed. The new choices for sports bar on Memorial Road are Pub W, and... that's kind of it. I've been to Hudson's Public House in far North Edmond and it's great, too.
Twin Peaks as well

catch22
04-03-2017, 09:18 PM
Went there once. It was alright.

bradh
04-03-2017, 10:24 PM
I hope that's not true for Rock & Brews, but wouldn't be surprised. I love that place, but it's rarely very crowded. Surprisingly great food, some of the best wings in town IMO, good beer selection, super cool décor, nice patio, and an app that allows you to select and play music videos on the big screens. What more could you want?!

I agree, we've been twice and both times was great.

I really do think the traffic on Memorial is probably slowly killing some of these places. You figure the times of day these places would be busy, it's a giant CF getting off Kilpatrick and cutting across Memorial. OTA and the city really need to consider reworking the exits in both directions for May and Penn.

OKCisOK4me
04-04-2017, 03:42 AM

TBH, Baker Street was never a sports bar. Sure they had a big screen they could pull down but I would hardly ever go there for sports related events. No, Baker Street was just for good times. Their good times ended when they went non smoking. Don't get me wrong, that's a good thing if you want to enjoy the health aspect but in this state, if the smoking goes so does most of the profit. Also, with that in mind, the only real competition Baker Street ever had was Dan Obriens. I know this bc I was a regular at both for many years that they were open.

Martin
04-04-2017, 06:16 AM
uggh. now i can't get a certain saxophone riff out of my head!

barrettd
04-04-2017, 06:40 AM
I heard a couple months ago that this was going to happen from a manager at another Memorial Rd establishment we frequent. I blew it off as her shooting off at the mouth I've known her to do. Oops!

For what it's worth she told us at the same time that Rock & Brews was heading for a similar fate.

That would be too bad. Rock & Brews has a good draft beer list, and the food is good, too. One of our favorite happy hour spots.

barrettd
04-04-2017, 06:41 AM

Exactly! Great place.

Roger S
04-04-2017, 06:50 AM
That would be too bad. Rock & Brews has a good draft beer list, and the food is good, too. One of our favorite happy hour spots.

I've only been to R&B one time and that was for lunch and the place was dead... Maybe 3 tables seated. So hopefully they are doing better business in the evenings.

barrettd
04-04-2017, 08:42 AM
I've only been to R&B one time and that was for lunch and the place was dead... Maybe 3 tables seated. So hopefully they are doing better business in the evenings.

I'm usually only there Fridays after work, and it gets pretty busy in the evening.

traxx
04-04-2017, 08:48 AM
I agree, we've been twice and both times was great.

I really do think the traffic on Memorial is probably slowly killing some of these places. You figure the times of day these places would be busy, it's a giant CF getting off Kilpatrick and cutting across Memorial. OTA and the city really need to consider reworking the exits in both directions for May and Penn.
They put the exits in the wrong place. If you're traveling west bound, for example, on the Kilpatrick and you want to exit for May, they should have put that exit just past Penn. As it is now, if you want to exit at May and go north on May, good luck cutting across all the traffic in time to get in the right turn lane. If the May exit were just after Penn then that gives you a little less than a mile to navigate into the lane you need to be in which should be sufficient time.

HangryHippo
04-04-2017, 08:53 AM
They put the exits in the wrong place. If you're traveling west bound, for example, on the Kilpatrick and you want to exit for May, they should have put that exit just past Penn. As it is now, if you want to exit at May and go north on May, good luck cutting across all the traffic in time to get in the right turn lane. If the May exit were just after Penn then that gives you a little less than a mile to navigate into the lane you need to be in which should be sufficient time.

Exactly! This is just another issue I have with the OTA. It's stupid **** like this that makes things worse than they ought to be.

Richard at Remax
04-04-2017, 10:04 AM
Twin Peaks is a solid sports bar. It was packed last night for the game. Plus i like that they turn the sound of the game on rather than play music over it.

OKCisOK4me
04-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Well, it's time for Twin Peaks & Pub W (the old folks) to carry the torch. Surely Republic, Sidecar & whatever else pops up over in Chisholm Creek will keep the trend going on Memorial.

Pete
04-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Top Golf has a big bar area with tons of TV's as well.

Sidecar only has a couple of small TV's and while Republic in Chisholm has a bunch, the bar area is small and it's mainly a restaurant.

pw405
04-04-2017, 05:57 PM
I kinna feel like this is the end of the "citywalk" era. Not that these places had anything to do with each other, but seems like the same Barb wire tattoo crowd was at both places. People seem to be going more for the hipster type places. Look at the Pump on weekends. Absolutely raging. Powerhouse, etc. Maybe I'm just drawing an association between citywalk and Baker Street because I was once a young, courageous man who wound up getting near blackout drunk at both places most times I went. Hmm. I never liked either place TBH.

Anonymous.
04-04-2017, 09:31 PM
I kinna feel like this is the end of the "citywalk" era. Not that these places had anything to do with each other, but seems like the same Barb wire tattoo crowd was at both places. People seem to be going more for the hipster type places. Look at the Pump on weekends. Absolutely raging. Powerhouse, etc. Maybe I'm just drawing an association between citywalk and Baker Street because I was once a young, courageous man who wound up getting near blackout drunk at both places most times I went. Hmm. I never liked either place TBH.

No, you are definitely right.

I remember just 4-6 years ago Baker Street was an actual option for us to "go out" to. Now that place is (was) viewed as another lazy night place on par with a regular Hudsons Pub. Ironically, I went to Baker Street sometime last summer for the first time in years, and they actually were enforcing a dress code. It was hilarious. Definitely grasping for an identity at the end when all the new bars and hangouts erupted across OKC.

BridgeBurner
04-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Did Baker St ever change the 21 & up rule to get in?
I still remember them turning a large group of my extended family away 4-5 years ago, we just walked to one of the restaurants next door. I don't think I ever made it back to the OKC/Edmond one but I'd visited the Tulsa location prior to it shutting down.

jerrywall
04-05-2017, 08:18 AM

Gene Simmons will be there in person tonight, so I expect this will be one evening at least they're busy.

JarrodH
04-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Baker's Street definitely died off the past few years. I would suspect it was two reasons. The younger crowd started leaving for new, hip options and in an attempt to save them, they went non smoking which in turn alienated most of their older crowd. In the end, they didn't have a crowd at all.

As far as Memorial goes, all the smokers go to Hudsons or Lumpy's and most of the young hip crowd can be found at Sidecar.

Rock & Brews has been dead every time I've went in and we've never added it to the rotation due to the corporate feel and corporate prices. Their beer was all priced well above other local options when we went and of course it felt like a restaurant instead of a bar.

Pete
04-05-2017, 09:48 AM
The S&B on May just north of Memorial has a good vibe and always seems to be busy.

JarrodH
04-05-2017, 09:56 AM
The S&B on May just north of Memorial has a good vibe and always seems to be busy.

Great food and vibe but definitely a restaurant. I live, work, and socialize on Memorial and when we are doing happy hour or going out the choices are always Twin Peaks or Sidecar. Hopefully with the development of Tract 30 we get more options but most things on Memorial are either smoking (which we stay away from) or are restaurants.

If we are going out so to speak, we will uber to Western or Midtown.

jerrywall
04-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Great food and vibe but definitely a restaurant. I live, work, and socialize on Memorial and when we are doing happy hour or going out the choices are always Twin Peaks or Sidecar.

I really want to like Sidecar but I can't get over their prices combined with the fact that they add the liquor tax on top of the beer. I'm used to paying a "hipster tax" at places like Skinny Slims, but at most places if I buy a $6 or $7 overpriced F5 (for example), when I get my tab it's $6 or $7. When I go to sidecar and I order an F5 for my wife and I, when I expect a $14 tab it's closer to $18, it's a bit of sticker shock. Sure, they have every right to add tax on top of the prices, but it's not typical locally, and it prices them out of the market as far as I'm concerned. I really like the folks there but my pocketbook doesn't. I also like places that will have some $2-3 options for those time I'm not wanting to drop tons of cash.

From an atmosphere standpoint they're awesome. Twin Peaks fills out that need well as well. I'm surprised though that you dismiss S&B for being a restaurant, but then talk Twin Peaks up, because they have, IMO, every bit as much of a restaurant vibe as S&B burgers.

It's silly, but another place where I like to hang out is the bar at Main Event. Decent prices and food options. Plus outdoor sitting when the weather is nice is always a big bonus to me. It's one thing I miss about working in Norman near campus corner.

JarrodH
04-05-2017, 12:11 PM
I really want to like Sidecar but I can't get over their prices combined with the fact that they add the liquor tax on top of the beer. I'm used to paying a "hipster tax" at places like Skinny Slims, but at most places if I buy a $6 or $7 overpriced F5 (for example), when I get my tab it's $6 or $7. When I go to sidecar and I order an F5 for my wife and I, when I expect a $14 tab it's closer to $18, it's a bit of sticker shock. Sure, they have every right to add tax on top of the prices, but it's not typical locally, and it prices them out of the market as far as I'm concerned. I really like the folks there but my pocketbook doesn't. I also like places that will have some $2-3 options for those time I'm not wanting to drop tons of cash.

From an atmosphere standpoint they're awesome. Twin Peaks fills out that need well as well. I'm surprised though that you dismiss S&B for being a restaurant, but then talk Twin Peaks up, because they have, IMO, every bit as much of a restaurant vibe as S&B burgers.

Sidecar is definitely pricey and I've had this discussion more times than I'd like. Modelo is $3-4 most places in town and $6 out the door on the high side. Modelo at sidecar is right at $9 out the door with all taxes included which is pretty rough.

As far as S&B to Twin Peaks, I find it to be a completely different atmosphere. Twin peaks revolves around sports, half dressed women, and beer with the demographic being mostly men. S&B focuses on burgers, music videos, and a craft beer selection and a demographic of mostly families. I can't see a true comparison between the two.

barrettd
04-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Rock & Brews has been dead every time I've went in and we've never added it to the rotation due to the corporate feel and corporate prices. Their beer was all priced well above other local options when we went and of course it felt like a restaurant instead of a bar.

I would disagree about the beer prices. Yes, it's a chain and it feels like one, but they always have a good selection with a lot of local beers, and I think their prices are much better than Republic, Side Car, and Pub W. Heck, Pub W doesn't even put their prices on their beer menu.

Libbymin
04-08-2017, 07:41 PM

It's silly, but another place where I like to hang out is the bar at Main Event. Decent prices and food options. Plus outdoor sitting when the weather is nice is always a big bonus to me. It's one thing I miss about working in Norman near campus corner.

The liquor tax is not a "right". In Oklahoma, restaurants and bars are required to collect the 13.5% mixed beverage tax on all liquor, wine, and strong beer, in addition to the 8.375% sales tax. The 13.5% is not assessed on 3.2 beer though. Believe me when I say that bars would prefer not to have to collect that tax. It's not their money to keep anyway.

Teo9969
04-09-2017, 11:09 AM
The liquor tax is not a "right". In Oklahoma, restaurants and bars are required to collect the 13.5% mixed beverage tax on all liquor, wine, and strong beer, in addition to the 8.375% sales tax. The 13.5% is not assessed on 3.2 beer though. Believe me when I say that bars would prefer not to have to collect that tax. It's not their money to keep anyway.

The problem is some places include their liquor tax in their prices and some places add it as a line-item on-top of the subtotal.

Restaurant A: A drink is listed at $10, but the liquor tax is included. The final price of the drink will be $10.74. That's the price of the drink + sales tax on just the drink amount. If you tip 20% on the total $12.89 out the door.

Restaurant B: A drink is listed at $10 and the liquor tax is not included. The final price of the drink will be $12.19. If you tip 20% on the total, that's $14.63 out the door.

That difference of $1.74 over 6 drinks in a night is $10.44

Given that price setting in the restaurant business can very much be about "What is the competition doing?" If you're a "B" restaurant and you're setting your list prices in line with "A" restaurants with no regards for tax ramifications, then...well I dunno.

As a consumer, it's wise to know who are the As and who are the Bs...especially if you're at an upscale restaurant and you're about to order a $200 bottle of wine. Is that going to be $260 or $295 out the door for 20% tippers? $35 is appetizers or dessert.

ctchandler
04-09-2017, 08:09 PM
I have learned to tip at the before tax amount. It is proper to do that, and I still leave a good tip.
C. T.

Questor
04-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Although I am very much in favor of the liquor law reforms that are currently underway, the two pieces of that puzzle I don't like are 1. it appears to give ABLE more power, and as an average Joe I have pretty much been done with them ever since their H&8th opening night nonsense, and 2. it appears to increase liquor taxes significantly. So unfortunately I think the tax situation gets worse in the future.

I actually don't understand why a business owner would gross-up their item cost to cover the liquor tax. From a marketing standpoint that seems like a really bad thing to do.

jerrywall
04-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Yeah, but it's amazing that most bars manage to include the tax in the price of the drinks. That's the problem. When 95% of the places out there do it one way, as a consumer you don't expect it to be done another way. Especially if the drinks are already over priced.

Bill Robertson
04-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Although I am very much in favor of the liquor law reforms that are currently underway, the two pieces of that puzzle I don't like are 1. it appears to give ABLE more power, and as an average Joe I have pretty much been done with them ever since their H&8th opening night nonsense, and 2. it appears to increase liquor taxes significantly. So unfortunately I think the tax situation gets worse in the future.

I actually don't understand why a business owner would gross-up their item cost to cover the liquor tax. From a marketing standpoint that seems like a really bad thing to do.
I've been sitting at a handful of bars over the years and witnessed arguments with the manager about showing the liquor tax as a separate charge. Some have gotten pretty heated. Once at a Garage another guy and I moved close by in case the patron needed to be restrained. They almost always end in the patron storming out protesting that they won't be back. I've never heard anyone loudly protesting high drink prices. They might not come back but they do it quietly. Seems that paying the tax without knowing it is much more acceptable to some than seeing it on the tab.

Uptowner
04-14-2017, 09:09 PM

I actually don't understand why a business owner would gross-up their item cost to cover the liquor tax. From a marketing standpoint that seems like a really bad thing to do. you know ABLE hasn't had an law enforcement wing in quite some years? They still have a couple LEOs that performs inspections, consults, and testifies on behalf of the state. But they turned it pretty much completely over to local agencies in 2009 or 2010? In OKC it was county for some time (which I believe was responsible for drawing weapons on food truck owners) and recently it's been vice squad of the OKPD.

sbs
04-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Republic and Sidecar at Chisholm are awesome places. If you haven't been check it out. Sidecar has a really nice rooftop patio area with fire tables.

Questor
04-15-2017, 03:00 PM
you know ABLE hasn't had an law enforcement wing in quite some years? They still have a couple LEOs that performs inspections, consults, and testifies on behalf of the state. But they turned it pretty much completely over to local agencies in 2009 or 2010? In OKC it was county for some time (which I believe was responsible for drawing weapons on food truck owners) and recently it's been vice squad of the OKPD.

That's interesting, I hadn't heard this. Do you know if anything improved as a result?

I did some digging and when I look at their org chart I still see every other person seems to be Captain this or Special Agent that. When I look at their top-level org they still have 2 of the 7 commissioners being required to be from a law enforcement background. I guess my complaint isn't with what law enforcement agency is running enforcement, it's that these agencies are treated as law enforcement instead of something more a kin to food inspectors. It seems like an antiquated throwback to a time long before I was born. Admittedly I probably will not be happy until the whole agency is gutted.

Pete
06-03-2022, 02:01 PM
Mercifully, this building is set to be bulldozed.

The new owner is a guy that made a bunch of money in software development and spent 18 years at Paycom, so no idea of future plans.

Plutonic Panda
06-03-2022, 02:14 PM
That kind of sucks. This had a cool New Orleans design. So what are they going to put up another cookie cutter building?

Bill Robertson
06-03-2022, 02:32 PM
That kind of sucks. This had a cool New Orleans design. So what are they going to put up another cookie cutter building?
The facia was a pretty cool design. But facias are just tacked on design. The inside layout was a mess. The best thing that could happen there would be the whole section from where Rock & Brews to Baker Street would be built up with interesting concepts of a couple great restaurants.

Plutonic Panda
06-03-2022, 02:34 PM
The facia was a pretty cool design. But facias are just tacked on design. The inside layout was a mess. The best thing that could happen there would be the whole section from where Rock & Brews to Baker Street would be built up with interesting concepts of a couple great restaurants.
Yeah that would be cool. Be even better if they rebuilt it as a mini French Quarter with about a dozen or so smaller bars and restaurants.

Bill Robertson
06-03-2022, 02:47 PM
Mercifully, this building is set to be bulldozed.

The new owner is a guy that made a bunch of money in software development and spent 18 years at Paycom, so no idea of future plans.New owner? I know that when Bikinis closed just west of there that the whole frontage was owned by the owners of the mall. The Frosted Mug wanted to take the Bikinis building but demanded ownership and the owners wouldn't sell, only lease. Have the landowners lightened up?

Pete
06-03-2022, 03:44 PM
^

This building and land has always been under independent ownership.

Bill Robertson
06-04-2022, 06:06 AM
Ok. Now I'm wondering how much of that frontage is separator owned and how much the mall group owns.

OkieBerto
07-28-2022, 02:38 PM
I friend of mine just informed me the building has started to be demolished. Is anything new on this?

Pete
07-28-2022, 02:42 PM
No, I've received a bunch of questions on social media and there are no new building permits filed.

Often, a new owner (which there is in this case) will just clear a property in order to more easily sell it or find someone that wants to enter into a ground lease.