View Full Version : Waze vs. Google Maps

Boomer3791
03-31-2017, 09:53 AM
I'd be interested in getting people's opinion on using Waze vs. Google Maps. I commute from SE Norman to NW OKC daily and rely quite a bit on mapping apps to provide input on the fastest routes. I've tried Waze several times and I do like the crowd-sourced info on things like cops, road hazards, etc. But I find that Google Maps is better about allowing me to see traffic conditions more clearly at a glance. Both services seem pretty good about suggesting routes and avoiding major traffic tie-ups. Though I wish both of them were able to automatically reroute you when they sense a traffic jam ahead.

Zuplar
03-31-2017, 10:02 AM
I've always used google maps, but it seems like by the time I see there is a traffic problem, it's too late. I know several friends that use Waze, but they usually go back and forth, which is part of the reason I've never switched to Waze.

OkiePoke
03-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Before I leave home, I take a quick look at Google to check traffic. Google pulls info from Waze.

If I'm on a road trip and want info, I use Waze and run it in the background with BT. It will divert me when needed, and alert me to hazards (road repairs, stuff in road, cops).

I am patiently waiting for Android Auto to be updated so I can use Waze.

Anonymous.
03-31-2017, 10:16 AM
Google Maps is what I use, but I also have a detector. Without it, I would likely use Waze.

Sidenote, the motorbike OHP looks to be using laser nearly exclusively now. (the device they are holding up like binoculars). Which basically rules most detectors as useless against them as they only alert once you're shot.

Boomer3791
03-31-2017, 10:30 AM
So you've had Waze re-route you when you're in the middle of a route? Just curious because I've never had this happen to me.

Boomer3791
03-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Before I leave home, I take a quick look at Google to check traffic. Google pulls info from Waze.

If I'm on a road trip and want info, I use Waze and run it in the background with BT. It will divert me when needed, and alert me to hazards (road repairs, stuff in road, cops).

I am patiently waiting for Android Auto to be updated so I can use Waze.

So you've had Waze re-route you when you're in the middle of a route? Just curious because I've never had this happen to me.

catch22
03-31-2017, 10:49 AM
Google Maps is what I use, but I also have a detector. Without it, I would likely use Waze.

Sidenote, the motorbike OHP looks to be using laser nearly exclusively now. (the device they are holding up like binoculars). Which basically rules most detectors as useless against them as they only alert once you're shot.

Even if they are using radar, many patrols have "instant on" radar. They can essentially watch you through the scope with the radar off, click the trigger and the radar is instantly on giving you no warning.

Bullbear
03-31-2017, 12:49 PM
I do waze for road trips. Use Good maps if I am looking for a location I am unfamiliar with.

camrun91
03-31-2017, 01:50 PM
I am actually a volunteer editor for Waze the map is actually completely updated by volunteer editors almost all that are local. Google maps does not always use the Waze data. They get the data but it is up to google to use it. I have seen waze change mid route to avoid traffic many times. It usually will route you around the traffic if the delay is going to be longer than what taking another route adds to the trip.

Anonymous.
03-31-2017, 02:18 PM
Even if they are using radar, many patrols have "instant on" radar. They can essentially watch you through the scope with the radar off, click the trigger and the radar is instantly on giving you no warning.

Yea but often the radar is bouncing around and glancing off other vehicles. During rush hour, radar is easy for me to pickup as they are shooting dozens of cars ahead of me before I am even in the LOS. I have a Valentine One and it has been incredible other than the false bogies as a result of modern taillight/headlight designs.

tfvc.org
03-31-2017, 02:26 PM
I am actually a volunteer editor for Waze the map is actually completely updated by volunteer editors almost all that are local. Google maps does not always use the Waze data. They get the data but it is up to google to use it. I have seen waze change mid route to avoid traffic many times. It usually will route you around the traffic if the delay is going to be longer than what taking another route adds to the trip.

What he said. In the cities and larger towns Waze can be more accurate than Google. Especially when there are closings, new or different routes (eg, the new I-40 went live the day or day after it was opened to traffic, it took Google weeks to update) and traffic relies primarily on people driving the route. There are still vast areas of countryside that are largely untouched, so it can be inaccurate if you are venturing an hour or so outside a medium size town. When I had a lot more time dedicated to edit I tried to take care of some of the smaller drive through towns and highways, but haven't had much time to do this recently. One thing I would like to say about traffic /accident avoidance. It does work, and it has saved me from being late for work however you have to keep in mind since it relies primarily on other Wazers, sometimes you are the traffic it needs to detect the slowdowns and accidents. Because my commute is 40 miles each way I do use the Waze app daily.

If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer them, and if you run into any issues with the map I would be happy to try to correct them.

catch22
03-31-2017, 03:07 PM
Yea but often the radar is bouncing around and glancing off other vehicles. During rush hour, radar is easy for me to pickup as they are shooting dozens of cars ahead of me before I am even in the LOS. I have a Valentine One and it has been incredible other than the false bogies as a result of modern taillight/headlight designs.

In denser traffic yes, but out on a rural highway or interstate highway that is pretty empty you would be easier to get as they can flip the switch and watch the front end of your car take a dive for the pavement.

camrun91
03-31-2017, 03:18 PM
What he said. In the cities and larger towns Waze can be more accurate than Google. Especially when there are closings, new or different routes (eg, the new I-40 went live the day or day after it was opened to traffic, it took Google weeks to update) and traffic relies primarily on people driving the route. There are still vast areas of countryside that are largely untouched, so it can be inaccurate if you are venturing an hour or so outside a medium size town. When I had a lot more time dedicated to edit I tried to take care of some of the smaller drive through towns and highways, but haven't had much time to do this recently. One thing I would like to say about traffic /accident avoidance. It does work, and it has saved me from being late for work however you have to keep in mind since it relies primarily on other Wazers, sometimes you are the traffic it needs to detect the slowdowns and accidents. Because my commute is 40 miles each way I do use the Waze app daily.

If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer them, and if you run into any issues with the map I would be happy to try to correct them.

Same here if anyone has any questions or any issues with the Waze map in OK let me know. I am in the editor almost daily to add places or fix something. As things get busy this falls to the wayside. we can always use more editors also.