View Full Version : Looking for best Mexican Restaurant in OKC area

DowntownMan
03-27-2017, 10:43 AM
I am looking for the best Mexican food restaurant in okc. I prefer true Mexican style and not Tex-mex. I love going to local and hole in the wall places

Any recommendation for me to try out?

Figured there would be lots of suggestions here.

SOONER8693
03-27-2017, 10:50 AM
I am looking for the best Mexican food restaurant in okc. I prefer true Mexican style and not Tex-mex. I love going to local and hole in the wall places

Any recommendation for me to try out?

Figured there would be lots of suggestions here.
Tacos San Pedro, SW 44th and Penn. Two blocks west of said intersection.

Uptowner
03-27-2017, 10:52 AM
youtu.be/TgB9FLzxeP4

Paseofreak
03-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Taqueria Los Desvelados
Taqueria Los Comales
El Asadero
Taqueria Durango

Desvelados and Comales serve great food, but are a bit low rent. The other two are a bit nicer and lean toward fancier, more diverse dishes

Roger S
03-27-2017, 11:00 AM
I won't declare any place "the best" because it's all subjective but I frequent Taqueria Rafita's, Hugo's Taquizas, and Berta's Tacos.

Berta's is a buffet and some stuff can be hit or miss but I've had some pretty amazing food there too.... Particularly like it when I'm in the mood for caldo de res.

bchris02
03-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Abel's on NW 50th and MacArthur. </thread>

Pete
03-27-2017, 11:06 AM
I really do love Abel's as well.

Colbafone
03-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Abel's on NW 50th and MacArthur. </thread>

Gotta 2nd this. Its pretty damn good.

Bullbear
03-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Abel's on 50th and Taqueria Rafitas on nw 12th and Penn are my Go to places for Mexican.

Pete
03-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Abel's on 50th and Taqueria Rafitas on nw 12th and Penn are my Go to places for Mexican.

What do you order at Rafitas?

My one visit was disappointing.

baralheia
03-27-2017, 11:29 AM
It's pretty low-rent, but the fiance and I really enjoy Taqueria El Rey on SW 59th St. I can also second the recommendation for Tacos San Pedro - they are quite good as well!

Roger S
03-27-2017, 11:32 AM
What do you order at Rafitas?

My one visit was disappointing.

California Burrito and chorizo tacos..... Go with an appetite if your order the California Burrito because it's massive.

Bullbear
03-27-2017, 11:34 AM
I get the same thing every time. I get the carne asada taco plate. sometimes get chips and salsa with it but usually just two tacos with Rice and Beans. have gotten a breakfast burrito some mornings and liked it as well. the family is from the Chihuahua region of mexico which is same area as my partners Grandparents. He thinks their rice and beans are the best in town tasting like his Abuelas.

zefferoni
03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
I enjoy Tres Cerros on High Street and SE 34th. The nachos are a huge serving (I usually have some leftover for a snack/meal later). Just a heads up it's cash only.

Roger S
03-27-2017, 12:21 PM
I enjoy Tres Cerros on High Street and SE 34th. The nachos are a huge serving (I usually have some leftover for a snack/meal later). Just a heads up it's cash only.

Drove by it a couple of weeks ago and wondered if it was any good... definitely falls into the hole in the wall category!

jccouger
03-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Tacos San Pedro

The taco truck on the southeast corner / valero gas station on NW 10th & Penn is also really good too.

Thomas Vu
03-27-2017, 03:20 PM
I enjoy taquiera la frontera. I need to try rafitas

tfvc.org
03-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Tacos San Pedro is my choice as well. Their twin (same owners I think) is Tacos San Julian on SW 59th and McKinley. Both really good traditional food. There was a food truck that used to hang out at Mikes Gas station on SW 44th and Santa Fe at nights that was really good, but I haven't seen it in a while. I am sure any of those trucks on the SW side will serve you good food.

soonerguru
03-27-2017, 04:11 PM
I'm fond of Taqueria El Rey on SW 59th and Walker. Incredibly fresh ingredients. Friendly. Diverse menu. Great house-made sauces.

TheTravellers
03-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Birrieria (sp?) Diaz on 39th in Bethany's downtown - truly authentic Mexican, birria's their specialty, and the lamb birria is great, along with the fried nopales, and posole. They do have Tex-Mex stuff too, as well as the standard tacos, sopes, etc.

Stew
03-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Put me down for tacos san pedro as well.

Easy180
03-27-2017, 07:27 PM
Can't go wrong with Casa Perico on NW 63rd & Meridian

Dr Beard Face
03-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Tacos San Pedro, SW 44th and Penn. Two blocks west of said intersection.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Taco San Pedro is definitely my favorite authentic Mexican restaurant.

TheTravellers
03-28-2017, 01:20 PM

Yeah, you can, actually, read my post in their thread (tl;dr - food isn't as good as it used to be, but it's still OK).

gman11695
03-28-2017, 01:28 PM
If you want to head down to Norman, Tarahumara's definitely takes the cake for the best Mexican in Norman.

Head
03-28-2017, 02:09 PM
For "autentico" Mexican, I get a lb. of barbacoa, to-go, from Islas Panaderia on the SW corner of 29th and Agnew. They give you enough tortillas, onion/cilantro and limes, but I always grab an extra avacado, tambien.

Rover
03-28-2017, 03:41 PM
I am curious who on this board is actually Mexican, or has lived a significant time in Mexico, and what THEIR opinion of where to get authentic Mexican food is. Also, to know where in Mexico they are from because their are regional differences, like with other ethnic foods.

TheTravellers
03-28-2017, 04:39 PM
I am curious who on this board is actually Mexican, or has lived a significant time in Mexico, and what THEIR opinion of where to get authentic Mexican food is. Also, to know where in Mexico they are from because their are regional differences, like with other ethnic foods.

Good points. I'm not Mexican in any way, but went to Mexico City for vacation once, ate what I wanted, only got sick once, lol. Also eaten lots at Frontera Grill in Chicago - neither of those make me an authentic Mexican food expert, but I'm guessing that in this thread "authentic Mexican" probably means "not gloppy Tex-Mex". Birrieria Diaz actually has signs up (or it's on their menu) that tell you their owner and recipes are from Calvillo.

corwin1968
03-28-2017, 06:09 PM
My best friend in elementary school was from Mexico (don't know what region) and I literally ate at his house every night. Berta's, which was mentioned earlier, is authentic Mexican food. I haven't been there in years and had forgotten about it. I'll have to check it out again. I remember they never had the same menu two days in a row and some days there were awesome dishes and some day there were none that were appealing. It was always a crapshoot.

Authentic Mexican food, to me, is a lot of dishes that basically consist of a meat, onions and peppers in a sauce or stew with corn tortillas and rice on the side. I never saw a taco, burrito or enchilada at my friend's house.

Tacos San Pedro is really good and sometimes it's even great. I've been eating there since 2001 and never get tired of it. I highly recommend the marinated pork torta and the traditional fish taco. TSP is actually a spin-off of Tacos San Pedro in California. I believe the restaurant here is owned by the son of the guy who owns the CA restaurant. There is a photo of the California restaurant on the wall next to the register.

The taco truck at SW 44th and May is really good and the chicken trailer at SW 29th and May is amazing. You get a half chicken, a grilled onion, beans, two sauces and corn tortillas for about $9. Just driving thru that intersection will make your mouth water.

Roger S
03-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Berta's, which was mentioned earlier, is authentic Mexican food. I haven't been there in years and had forgotten about it. I'll have to check it out again. I remember they never had the same menu two days in a row and some days there were awesome dishes and some day there were none that were appealing. It was always a crapshoot.

HAHA... Yep... They had a few consistent dishes but a handful I think just depended on what they had on hand that day.... Got something that looked really incredible one day but had a really strong minerally flavor.... pretty sure it was liver in hindsight. If you catch them on the right day they will have mole chicken legs that are outstanding!

The taco truck at SW 44th and May is really good and the chicken trailer at SW 29th and May is amazing. You get a half chicken, a grilled onion, beans, two sauces and corn tortillas for about $9. Just driving thru that intersection will make your mouth water.

If you don't want to deal with the trailer they have a brick & mortar location in an old Taco Bell at Western and Grand. Right north of the Sonic..... Will probably be there for lunch today.

corwin1968
03-29-2017, 09:54 AM
HAHA... Yep... They had a few consistent dishes but a handful I think just depended on what they had on hand that day.... Got something that looked really incredible one day but had a really strong minerally flavor.... pretty sure it was liver in hindsight. If you catch them on the right day they will have mole chicken legs that are outstanding!

If you don't want to deal with the trailer they have a brick & mortar location in an old Taco Bell at Western and Grand. Right north of the Sonic..... Will probably be there for lunch today.

Did you ever get to eat Aguacaliente? It was a small buffet, on Western in the area the new I-40 interchanges now occupy, and then on SW 29th, just West of Berta's (now a torta restaurant). Their buffet was a small 8-10 tray offering that always had rice, corn tortillas, really good grilled/baked chicken, salad and 4-6 entrees that were often amazing. The entrees were various soups and stews with different meats and seasonings. It really reminded me of the food I ate at my friend's house. It's been gone for probably close to 8 or 9 years and I miss it greatly.

Roger S
03-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Did you ever get to eat Aguacaliente?

If you mean the little place that was just south of where CARCO is. Yes I did!

That was my first foray into non Okie-Mex and the place was awesome but I never knew what the heck I was eating.... Whenever someone would ask me what I ate for lunch I would always say "I don't know what it was but it was good!"

And yes I remember a meat and potato stew that I think had some onions and peppers in it too that was really good.

BoomerThunder1
03-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Can't believe no one has said Tacos Don Nacho yet

DowntownMan
03-29-2017, 11:01 AM
If you want to head down to Norman, Tarahumara's definitely takes the cake for the best Mexican in Norman.

I'll agree with you there! That was my favorite when I was a student at OU. Just need to find something closer to home to avoid trips to Norman for it

Dustin
03-29-2017, 02:05 PM
Mama Rojas

Lol jk.

I would have to say Abel's. It's the place I frequent the most..

FighttheGoodFight
03-29-2017, 02:15 PM
I'll agree with you there! That was my favorite when I was a student at OU. Just need to find something closer to home to avoid trips to Norman for it

Tarahumara's. Where you can get your food in under 10 minutes!

dankrutka
03-29-2017, 03:34 PM

I've literally received my food order in under 2 minutes from Tarahumara's before. It's a well oiled machine.

Dr Beard Face
03-29-2017, 03:48 PM
Its sometimes too fast, like suspiciously fast. Chelino's and Tarahumara's are like that for me.

TheTravellers
03-29-2017, 03:58 PM
I've always thought it was weird that orders came out super-fast in some Mexican restaurants, but most of the time, they don't really have to cook/bake anything, they just assemble it from all the ingredients in (I assume) steam table-type things and run it through a salamander, cooking is done way beforehand.

Dustin
03-29-2017, 04:08 PM
I've literally received my food order in under 2 minutes from Tarahumara's before. It's a well oiled machine.

Same thing at Casa Perico. They know what they're doing!

soonerguru
03-30-2017, 01:32 AM

Actually, you can go quite wrong at Perico's. Decent joint but nothing that merits high praise.

tfvc.org
03-30-2017, 02:29 PM

And they try to kick you out in that amount of time too. I like to sit and eat and enjoy my meal and company. They push you out too fast for my taste and because of that have only been twice and will not go back again. I personally think Mamaveca is better anyway for non traditional Mex, and they happen to have a Peruvian menu that is really good.

JesStang
04-03-2017, 09:49 AM
San Marcos! There are several locations but my friend owns the one on MacArthur and NW 39th (just north). The food is amazing and their drinks are ridiculous in a good way.