View Full Version : Flix Brewhouse

Pages : [1] 2 3

ljbab728
03-07-2017, 11:26 PM
I wasn't quite sure about the best place to post this, but it is mainly about entertainment.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5540772

Dinner, a drink and a movie could soon be an all-in-one affair, if Oklahoma's Legislature and governor approve.
Flix combines the latest Hollywood productions with custom crafted beers and food served “in theater,” on an a la carte basis.
Each Flix Brewhouse has eight to nine screens, typically, and Silvers said the firm never builds a location with more than 10, as it considers itself to be more of a boutique concept that is following an industry trend to build smaller, more intimate, well-appointed and upscale projects.

Each Flix Brewhouse also has an on-site brewery turning out handcrafted beers.

Dr Beard Face
03-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Not thrilled they want to do that with kids there. I love that I can go to the warren and see a movie with no kids around. The idea of a kid having food and utensils they can throw and clang together sounds horrible to me.

TheTravellers
03-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Not thrilled they want to do that with kids there. I love that I can go to the warren and see a movie with no kids around. The idea of a kid having food and utensils they can throw and clang together sounds horrible to me.

Yep, should be no kids, agree totally!

bchris02
03-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Downtown OKC really needs something like this.

jerrywall
03-08-2017, 03:44 PM
I don't understand them saying they couldn't do it under current laws.... They'd just need to separate out the adults only seating from the family seating like the Warren.

sooner88
03-08-2017, 04:01 PM
I don't understand them saying they couldn't do it under current laws.... They'd just need to separate out the adults only seating from the family seating like the Warren.

I think that's exactly what they want to avoid - having a separate area for 21+. This is an outdated law and there is no reason that something like Flix, Alamo Drafthouse, etc. should be treated differently than a restaurant which serves food/alcohol in an all ages area. I don't see there being much push back once this gets through legislation.

BDP
03-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Downtown OKC really needs something like this.

Maybe Randy Hogan could do something like that in lower brickto... never mind. :p

bchris02
03-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Maybe Randy Hogan could do something like that in lower brickto... never mind. :p

Best to keep Randy Hogan developing where his style of development belongs...Memorial Rd.

jerrywall
03-08-2017, 10:29 PM
I think that's exactly what they want to avoid - having a separate area for 21+. This is an outdated law and there is no reason that something like Flix, Alamo Drafthouse, etc. should be treated differently than a restaurant which serves food/alcohol in an all ages area. I don't see there being much push back once this gets through legislation.

Are they though? Or is it that they're held to the same food/liquor sales ratios as restaurants and classes of liquor licenses?

sooner88
03-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Are they though? Or is it that they're held to the same food/liquor sales ratios as restaurants and classes of liquor licenses?

From the article:

"If adopted, permits could be issued to theaters to sell beer and mixed beverages without requiring those services to be segregated into an adult-only environment."

shawnw
03-09-2017, 09:00 AM
I'm under the impression that sometimes businesses negotiate non-compete agreements in their leases regarding similar businesses in an area. If Harkins has something like that then Hogan wouldn't be able to put this in LB. My real world experience with this was when I lived at the Classen (I was in one of the first batch of occupiers, first to live in my unit, etc), we were told we were getting a coffee shop in one of the retail spaces. We eventually got the City Bites but never a coffee shop. When I asked why, I was told by management it was because City Bites had a non-compete clause in their lease and they sell coffee. That said, minus the completely crap hours of that particular City Bites, it was better on average to have them than it would have been to have coffee shop I suspect.

White Peacock
03-09-2017, 09:23 PM
There's a theater called Bagdad in the Hawthorne District in Portland that serves pizza and beer. Fantastic place to spend an evening.

TheTravellers
06-15-2017, 10:32 AM
OK Allows Alcohol in Cinemas. Expect Movie Going to Become Even More Insufferable. (https://www.thelostogle.com/2017/06/15/ok-allows-alcohol-in-cinemas-expect-movie-going-to-become-even-more-insufferable/)

jerrywall
06-15-2017, 11:17 AM
OK Allows Alcohol in Cinemas. Expect Movie Going to Become Even More Insufferable. (https://www.thelostogle.com/2017/06/15/ok-allows-alcohol-in-cinemas-expect-movie-going-to-become-even-more-insufferable/)

I'm just.... *facepalm*

This is the worst type of click bait. TLO has had multiple articles arguing for the modernization of our liquor laws, and to get them in line with more states. Now when the folks on 23rd do something that does just that, it's "what about the children!" (basically). Alcohol sales are allowed in movie theaters all over the country with no problems. Besides, I know so many folks that smuggle in flasks to movie theaters.

I would bet money if this bill had been vetoed by the governor, there would have been an article lamenting it not passing and attacking her.

Restrictions can always be put into place, like only allowing one drink per transaction. How often are people really going to leave the theater to get a drink?

Roger S
06-15-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm just.... *facepalm*

You do realize that TLO is a satire site? It's all about click baiting.

jerrywall
06-15-2017, 11:26 AM

I know, but look at the comments. They seem to have actually convinced a few people. Not everyone sees it as a satire site. They're a weird mix of the onion and a legit news site, and have some local influence (regretfully).

Roger S
06-15-2017, 11:36 AM
I know, but look at the comments. They seem to have actually convinced a few people. Not everyone sees it as a satire site. They're a weird mix of the onion and a legit news site, and have some local influence (regretfully).

I see the comments and unfortunately they just remind me of how gullible people are.... I believe there is a phrase associated with, though never verified as actually being said by, P.T. Barnum that rings very true in the age of social media..... Perhaps it should even be updated for the faster digital age.... There's a sucker born every nanosecond.

2Lanez
06-15-2017, 11:42 AM
TLO is not entirely satire. They do some actual news and commentary. Now, the quality of each can be debated, but it's definitely not satire only.

Roger S
06-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Well I definitely don't go there to get news or commentary... They are no different than The Onion to me.... And unfortunately I've seen way too many similar comments left on Onion articles.

TheTravellers
06-15-2017, 01:09 PM
WTH is "all about the children" in that article? The takeaway I got was that people are going to drink at movie theaters and possibly/probably get drunk and obnoxious and going to make movie-going even more sh*tty than it is now (which is pretty much the title of the article). I haven't gone to a mainstream movie theater in years because of all the other things that Louis mentioned in the article and the fact that there might be idiots getting drunk there just makes it even more unlikely I'm going to ever set foot inside a movie theater again, except for maybe the MOA one, where idiots and kids just aren't there.

gopokes88
06-15-2017, 01:23 PM

You do realize you don't know what satire is right?

Roger S
06-15-2017, 01:29 PM
You do realize you don't know what satire is right?

You do realize that TLO has admitted on multiple occasions that they are a satire site?

Which I suppose could be satire too.

jerrywall
06-15-2017, 01:33 PM
It's the "what about the children" argument fallacy. Basically manufactured hand wringing over something that likely isn't going to happen and hasn't happened anywhere else. It's not literally "about the children".

I've sat in the balcony in the Warren tons of times and have never had any problems.

Roger S
06-15-2017, 01:34 PM
Directly from The Lost Ogle about page....

TheLostOgle.com is an independent news and info website that covers the (occasionally) great state of Oklahoma. The content is satirical in nature and may be considered crude, indifferent, irreverent, politically incorrect, tacky, offensive, etc. Basically, think Daily Show meets frat house meets Onion meets Buzzfeed meets Chive, but not nearly that good. If you have a problem with TLO, the satire is working too well or you need to dumb down your sense of humor.

Roger S
06-15-2017, 01:34 PM
I've sat in the balcony in the Warren tons of times and have never had any problems.

Was about to say the exact same thing.

sooner88
06-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Curious to see how quickly we see this pop up. I know there is a Flix in the works right now.

Jersey Boss
06-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Well I definitely don't go there to get news or commentary... They are no different than The Onion to me.... And unfortunately I've seen way too many similar comments left on Onion articles.

I'm more in agreement with Jerry on this. They are different than the Onion and I can think of at least two examples how they are not just satire . They were involved with opening up the Governors e-mail box and exposing the fact that she was using a private email account to circumvent the open records act. TLO also exposed David Stanley Auto for all the shady dealings they engage in. Stanley was hit with the biggest fine in state history for deceptive practices. Stanley has also been sued for passing off a car that had been totaled as "garage kept". None of the local media outlets have reported any of this. Speculation is that because of the massive ad dollars Stanley pays to advertise, TV/print/radio will not make this a story.
As far as the article on the drinks in movies. Just because they were advocating to modernize liquor laws does not mean they are in agreement with what the legislature intercepts as what that means. One can be in favor of cold beer in the liquor store while opposing liquor where boorish behavior is common with cell phones and loud talking during the movie.

Jersey Boss
06-15-2017, 01:54 PM

No doubt, as have I. One must also consider that the increased premium charged to sit in the balcony reduces the riff-raff element.

Roger S
06-15-2017, 01:55 PM
I'm more in agreement with Jerry on this. They are different than the Onion and I can think of at least two examples how they are not just satire .

Once again... From their about page...

TheLostOgle.com is an independent news and info website that covers the (occasionally) great state of Oklahoma. The content is satirical in nature and may be considered crude, indifferent, irreverent, politically incorrect, tacky, offensive, etc. Basically, think Daily Show meets frat house meets Onion meets Buzzfeed meets Chive, but not nearly that good. If you have a problem with TLO, the satire is working too well or you need to dumb down your sense of humor.

If you don't want to take them at their word that's fine.... I'm not getting my news from there and that last sentence is pretty much why.

Jersey Boss
06-15-2017, 02:24 PM
While I am not getting all my news from there I also realize that a site can evolve. A site can be majority satire and still have relevant articles. Pete providing a link to the TLO when they called out the conflict OKC has in the "name the park" contest and the poll conducted by the Daily Oklahoman. Pete did not qualify the link as the TLO being strictly satire. Again, the reader has to have the ability to separate the relevant from the satirical.

jerrywall
06-15-2017, 02:30 PM
And this piece was definitely not written as a satire piece. I honestly believe it's Fowler's opinion on the subject.

dankrutka
06-15-2017, 04:01 PM
I've only gone to movie theatres that serve alcohol for the last 6 years (since I moved out of Oklahoma), and in the 20 or so movies I've been to I cannot remember a single problem arising due to alcohol. I really enjoy having a beer during a movie. It enhances the experience for me.

Jersey Boss
06-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Agreed. As are the articles on Stanley Auto Group, Fallin e mails, etc. Like I wrote earlier, you can be in favor of modern liquor laws but not support all the separate proposed laws on same. I think one needs to put the article or articles in perspective and not just unilaterally dismiss everything that is published.

bchris02
06-15-2017, 05:11 PM
I'm just.... *facepalm*

This is the worst type of click bait. TLO has had multiple articles arguing for the modernization of our liquor laws, and to get them in line with more states. Now when the folks on 23rd do something that does just that, it's "what about the children!" (basically). Alcohol sales are allowed in movie theaters all over the country with no problems. Besides, I know so many folks that smuggle in flasks to movie theaters.

I would bet money if this bill had been vetoed by the governor, there would have been an article lamenting it not passing and attacking her.

Restrictions can always be put into place, like only allowing one drink per transaction. How often are people really going to leave the theater to get a drink?

The article was satire, making fun of all the articles against liquor modernization (SQ 792) and medical marijuana. On the Internet however, a certain subset of people tend to take satire articles seriously. There was one after the SCOTUS gay marriage decision that stated Obama issued an executive order to change the American flag to the rainbow flag. It was satire, but it made significant angry rounds on Facebook among people who fell for it.

okcpatrick
06-15-2017, 07:26 PM
So, just to chime in here...

I think one thing that makes TLO work is that it's hard to describe. I say it's a mix of news, opinion and satire, and it's up to the individual reader to decide which is which.

Also, I don't have a problem with beer and alcohol in movie theatres. At least now now I won't have to sneak it in anymore. As our resident film buff, I emailed Louis to see if he wanted to write about the topic, and that's what he sent me. Whether you agree or disagree, it's almost always a great read.

Thanks for reading my clickbait site!

OKCisOK4me
06-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Crickets

jerrywall
06-16-2017, 04:28 AM
So, just to chime in here...

I think one thing that makes TLO work is that it's hard to describe. I say it's a mix of news, opinion and satire, and it's up to the individual reader to decide which is which.

Also, I don't have a problem with beer and alcohol in movie theatres. At least now now I won't have to sneak it in anymore. As our resident film buff, I emailed Louis to see if he wanted to write about the topic, and that's what he sent me. Whether you agree or disagree, it's almost always a great read.

Thanks for reading my clickbait site!

Heh. Just to be clear, my problem is with Louis' take, not TLO (and I know Louis from way back). But thanks for joining in.

Pete
10-19-2018, 08:03 AM
Here is a view of Flix from Broadway Extension:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix101918.jpg

Pete
12-26-2018, 06:26 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix122218a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix122218b.jpg

Pete
02-12-2019, 04:30 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix021019a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix021019b.jpg

OkiePoke
02-12-2019, 07:38 AM
So red!

rte66man
02-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Are they keeping those fugly cedar trees?

Pete
03-23-2019, 07:26 AM
Walls are going up. Also, the new Dolese HQ has started in the upper left corner of the 2nd photo.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix032119a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix032119b.jpg

Colbafone
03-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Have they released how many screens this will have? Can't say I've ever been to a Flix, but between the Warren's, Alamo Drafthouse, and Studio Movie Grills I've been too, this seems awfully small. All 3 of those mentioned had rather larger theaters, with a bunch of space to eat and drink in your seat.

So going only off of that, I'm having a hard time seeing this place having more than maybe... 4 or 5 screens? It's not a problem or anything, just means it might be tough to get tickets for.

Pete
03-23-2019, 08:55 AM
9 auditoriums with a total theater capacity of 950.

Colbafone
03-23-2019, 10:18 AM
9 auditoriums with a total theater capacity of 950.

Ah, bigger than I thought. Awesome. Forget everything I said, haha.

Pete
04-22-2019, 07:04 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix042119a.jpg

jn1780
04-22-2019, 08:21 AM
Good to see 4 walls up and roof. Takes forever when your not using raised walls.

PaddyShack
04-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Good to see 4 walls up and roof. Takes forever when your not using raised walls.

So an interesting point to mention about the contractor, he comes from up north and said he uses these big tents in order to run large heaters to construct the walls and such throughout the winter season. What he didn't think of was the wind we have. Since I work in the tower I see this site everyday. The crew put up the large tents one day and after 24 hours it was half missing and the rest was torn to shreds. The contractor had to push back his timeline to wait for warmer temps.

OKC Guy
04-22-2019, 10:02 AM
So an interesting point to mention about the contractor, he comes from up north and said he uses these big tents in order to run large heaters to construct the walls and such throughout the winter season. What he didn't think of was the wind we have. Since I work in the tower I see this site everyday. The crew put up the large tents one day and after 24 hours it was half missing and the rest was torn to shreds. The contractor had to push back his timeline to wait for warmer temps.

Very interesting, thanks for the insight!

Pete
06-03-2019, 04:51 PM
From https://twitter.com/JA_OKC:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix060319a.jpg

Pete
07-07-2019, 06:53 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix070619a.jpg

jn1780
07-07-2019, 10:55 AM
It looks like early next year before they open. Structure isn't even fully enclosed yet.

Pete
08-09-2019, 07:57 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix080419a.jpg

jn1780
08-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Did a security guard bug you when you took that shot? All I did was drive through to take a look and I saw a security car stop, back up, turn around and start following me.

Pete
08-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Did a security guard bug you when you took that shot? All I did was drive through to take a look and I saw a security car stop, back up, turn around and start following me.

No, but that does happen sometimes.

Last time was at The Hill and I had to remind the security guard that those streets are public, although that is not the case in this development.

Those guys have very little to do. I'm sure a car driving through is about as exciting as it gets.

Rover
08-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Construction sites are magnets for theft and vandalism. Security should always closely check visitors not naturally there to perform a legitimate function and may just be there to survey what’s there.. It’s prudent and their job. You can dismiss their importance and make fun of them, but they serve a legitimate needed function.

Pete
08-10-2019, 08:50 AM
Construction sites are magnets for theft and vandalism. Security should always closely check visitors not naturally there to perform a legitimate function and may just be there to survey what’s there.. It’s prudent and their job. You can dismiss their importance and make fun of them, but they serve a legitimate needed function.

Nobody said they didn't.

But the guy at The Hill kept shadowing me into areas where there was no construction and was just being a jerk and trying to intimidate me. All on public streets.

Pete
09-10-2019, 09:00 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/flix090819a.jpg

Pete
12-28-2019, 07:05 AM
https://i.imgur.com/tps82el.jpg