View Full Version : Hooter's

Pete
03-06-2017, 10:48 AM
After Hooter's recently pulled out of Bricktown, they have made plans to add at least two more locations to the OKC area.

One is coming to the Market at Czech Hall near Yukon.

And now they've filed plans to renovate this 5,500 SF salon building into a new location near Penn & Memorial.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hooters1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hooters2.jpg

Bullbear
03-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Interesting. If I remember correctly that salon was a restaurant prior.

Roger S
03-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Interesting. If I remember correctly that salon was a restaurant prior.

You are correct... Blue Corn Cafe (https://www.eskimo.com/~sockeye/ok/bluecornokc.html)

Bullbear
03-06-2017, 12:34 PM
I wanted to say Blue corn or something like that.. Glad I am not completely crazy.

Pete
03-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Blue Corn only lasted a year or two for some reason.

Roger S
03-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Blue Corn only lasted a year or two for some reason.

I knew of it but didn't know it was New Mexican cuisine or might have gone and tried it. Just thought it was another Okie-Mex type place at the time..... And I'm sure the average diner thought the same and came away disappointed because it wasn't what they were expecting.... Fortunately it seems the average OKC diners have become a lot more accepting of new cuisines these days.

Wishbone
03-08-2017, 05:50 AM
It will be interesting to see how well Hooters does in Yukon with Twin Peaks just a few miles up the road.

stile99
03-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Boobs sell. I think they could go next door to each other, throw in a Tilted Kilt and still all three would do quite well.

catch22
03-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Boobs sell. I think they could go next door to each other, throw in a Tilted Kilt and still all three would do quite well.

That's true, but I also love their hot wings. The rest of their food is pretty meh as well as their beers.

soonerguru
03-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Perfect location for what they're selling.

shadfar
03-09-2017, 11:38 AM
i would think being directly off of Memorial road instead would be a better location? either way, boobs will sell :-)

Bill Robertson
03-09-2017, 12:17 PM
Boobs sell. I think they could go next door to each other, throw in a Tilted Kilt and still all three would do quite well.Not so sure. Our two Twin Peaks aren't as busy as they used to be. The west location doesn't open the patio section some days and only for lunchtime on others. There are only a handful of customers there a lot of weekday afternoons. They used to be much busier through the week. We almost always easily get two seats at the bar on weekends at 6ish and that didn't happen two years ago.

And Hooters is trying Hoots, same food but with fully clothed male and female servers, supposedly because nationally their business is dropping off.

d-usa
10-17-2017, 08:30 PM
Just noticed that’s one of the buildings in front of the Walmart that is being remodeled is becoming a Hooters.

Just one more addition to the North Penn Chicken Strip.

stile99
10-18-2017, 07:19 AM
So as of March of this year, I had actually never been to Twin Peaks. Now I've been twice, so I actually have a response to Twin Peaks not doing well. This was at the West location, and both times the food wasn't anything I couldn't get anywhere else, and both times the service was crazy bad. The second (and last) visit resulted in items that had not been ordered, and had not been delivered, being listed on the check. When I pointed this out, rather than apologize for the error they tried to argue with me.

It's funny, because on the one hand I do still firmly believe boobs sell. Been that way for decades. On the other hand, I kind of wonder at the fate of places like Hooters/Twin Peaks/Tilted Kilt/etc in a post-Weinstein, "Me too!" world. I certainly don't think the world is going to change overnight, but in much the same way cigarettes aren't smoked by every character in every movie any more, I believe there's going to be a distancing from the 'breastaurant' type marketing, and if they don't have damn good food and damn good service, they may be damn gone.

traxx
10-18-2017, 08:26 AM
I think the bigger problems with breastaurants is they've never had great or even good food, they don't have any atmosphere, there are other places you can go and watch sports while you eat, and some of the girls are nice to look at but other just couldn't get a job anywhere else.

I understand the point you're trying to make about a post Weinstein world, but I think breastaurants are just poorly run establishments more than Weinstien having any kind of affect. And I don't know how different a post Weinstein world will be. What I think will happen is hollywood will offer him up as a sacrifice to the public and say, "We've ousted him. Is that good enough for everyone? Good. Now we'll go back to business as usual." Because you know he's not the only player in hollywood that uses his power to either get sexual favors from women or ruin their careers if they don't.

jn1780
10-18-2017, 09:09 AM
In this day and age you can find boobs everywhere. Why go somewhere where the food isn't that great?

And a lot of places hire attractive waitresses but don't use this as their primary business model.

bchris02
10-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Hooter's was awesome if you were an adolescent male during the 1990s. Today, I think it's outlived its usefulness.

OKCisOK4me
10-18-2017, 04:04 PM
Hooter's was awesome if you were an adolescent male during the 1990s. Today, I think it's outlived its usefulness.

Just bc you were an adolescent once, doesn't mean there are none now. It does amaze me, though, how many families take their kids to Hooters or Twin Peaks, but I realize that that just happens to be the world we live in these days.

rezman
10-18-2017, 04:40 PM
So as of March of this year, I had actually never been to Twin Peaks. Now I've been twice, so I actually have a response to Twin Peaks not doing well. This was at the West location, and both times the food wasn't anything I couldn't get anywhere else, and both times the service was crazy bad. The second (and last) visit resulted in items that had not been ordered, and had not been delivered, being listed on the check. When I pointed this out, rather than apologize for the error they tried to argue with me.

It's funny, because on the one hand I do still firmly believe boobs sell. Been that way for decades. On the other hand, I kind of wonder at the fate of places like Hooters/Twin Peaks/Tilted Kilt/etc in a post-Weinstein, "Me too!" world. I certainly don't think the world is going to change overnight, but in much the same way cigarettes aren't smoked by every character in every movie any more, I believe there's going to be a distancing from the 'breastaurant' type marketing, and if they don't have damn good food and damn good service, they may be damn gone.

All boobs and no brains.

I went to a Hooters ONCE, down in the Dallas area back in the late 90's early 2000's. I was down there for a Home Depot pro event, and met one of our sales guys there for lunch, at his suggestion. It wasn't very good at all, and it really did come off as just a place to look at boobs in tight shirts and eat lousy food,...... which is exactly what it was.

Pete
11-08-2017, 03:28 PM
I think these people were here for training; darn close to opening as it looked finished on the inside.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hooters110817.jpg

John
11-08-2017, 03:51 PM
It looks great at night from the outside.

Thomas Vu
11-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Man they work quick.

Mott
11-09-2017, 07:57 AM
They actually did a good job of "Chaining" New Mexican food. You could order your plates Christmas style, and you got red and green chile, as you would in Taos or Santa Fe. Another one step forward, two steps back......

Pete
01-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Went to the new Penn/Memorial location last night to watch the OU / West Virginia game.

This is one of the best sports bar setups in OKC. Huge rectangular bar with tons of TV's all throughout the restaurant.

As shown below, they also have a very high quality 3x3 video wall making for one massive, bright display. The waitstaff was really good about switching between the NFL games and the OU game.

The space has a huge vaulted ceiling that makes the whole place feel quite open and it wasn't crazy loud even though they were almost full.

They have a bunch of really good local and craft beers on tap although for some reason several were not shown on their beer list. Prices were reasonable.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hooters010618.jpg

catch22
01-07-2018, 10:03 AM
I think Hooters gets a bad rap because of the waitresses outfits, but really all of the Hooters that I have went to are always very consistent with good, speedy service and plenty of TV's to watch games on. I wish the one in Bricktown were still open.

Pete
01-07-2018, 10:17 AM
The Hooter's outfits are pretty tame.

The tops aren't even that low cut and the short-shorts aren't that crazy either, especially compared to what a lot of women wear these days.

Nowhere in the same league as the stripperwear I experienced at Twin Peaks.

catch22
01-07-2018, 10:35 AM
The Hooter's outfits are pretty tame.

The tops aren't even that low cut and the short-shorts aren't that crazy either, especially compared to what a lot of women wear these days.

Nowhere in the same league as the stripperwear I experienced at Twin Peaks.

I believe they have toned down their outfits. They used to wear hot orange shorts that were essentially underwear. And the tops used to be a bit more revealing.

traxx
01-08-2018, 01:50 PM
I went to BWW (not my suggestion) to watch the Rose Bowl. Their TVs are good but the food sucks. I've had better burgers at fast food restaurants for a lot less $.

Johnb911
01-08-2018, 02:37 PM
I guess I understand BWW's attempt at diversifying their menu. Chicken wings aren't for everyone. At the same time, play to your strengths, ie the food group that is literally the name of your restaurant.