View Full Version : Big 12 Football 2017

Pages : 1 [2]

OKC_on_mines
10-21-2017, 07:05 PM
OSU made a lot of mistakes, but the playcalling has been abysmal. The weakness of the team for the past few years.

Jake, imho I think its the o-line for the pokes that lets them down. They couldn't run the ball. texsa shortwhorns played 2 deep safeties all game. You have to run the ball against that defensive call and pokes couldn't get movement on their d-line. BUT.....they still won and that's all that matters. Great game too.

Eric
10-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Jake, imho I think its the o-line for the pokes that lets them down. They couldn't run the ball. texsa shortwhorns played 2 deep safeties all game. You have to run the ball against that defensive call and pokes couldn't get movement on their d-line. BUT.....they still won and that's all that matters. Great game too.

I actually felt bad for the Texas quarterback. Having played in high school, I always tried to remind people that there are nearly a hundred plays that effect the outcome of the game. Even though that last one hurt, there were dozens of equally important plays that shaped the outcome of the game. Hopefully he will maintain his composure moving forward, because in reality, a good Texas is good for the Big XII.

OKC_on_mines
10-22-2017, 11:39 AM
That kid is tough.....that's for sure

AP
10-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Makes sense as they were missing two starters, then had an injury during the game. At one point we had a 3rd string lineman playing.

OKC_on_mines
10-23-2017, 10:25 AM
^^^^yup. Good point about the injuries to the pokes linemen. Criticisms aside man was that a good game. Lot of good ball this season. I try to remind some of the fair-weather SOONER fans on those sports boards that coaches can't shed blocks and run through a running backs face mask and tackle them. I have surely had my critiques for mike stoops and his philosophies but Kansas state came to play. Any team can be beat on any given Sunday. So watching NCAA and NFL games through those lens it is clear to see that guys are out here competing, I for one am enjoying how good these games are for a sport that I fear may be "an endangered species "!

FighttheGoodFight
10-23-2017, 12:03 PM
^^^^yup. Good point about the injuries to the pokes linemen. Criticisms aside man was that a good game. Lot of good ball this season. I try to remind some of the fair-weather SOONER fans on those sports boards that coaches can't shed blocks and run through a running backs face mask and tackle them. I have surely had my critiques for mike stoops and his philosophies but Kansas state came to play. Any team can be beat on any given Sunday. So watching NCAA and NFL games through those lens it is clear to see that guys are out here competing, I for one am enjoying how good these games are for a sport that I fear may be "an endangered species "!

Oh man you are too right. I have multiple friends who only watch if OU wins. They just can't stand losing. I just enjoy the games, is that an odd thing nowdays?

OKC_on_mines
10-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Hahaha. Its so odd its rare.

Eric
10-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Hahaha. Its so odd its rare.

Shockingly I have been hearing national media (ESPN) calling the Big 12 the best conference top to bottom. That being said, the depth would likely be its undoing when it came to getting a playoff bid.

d-usa
10-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Wrong thread.

OKC_on_mines
10-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Shockingly I have been hearing national media (ESPN) calling the Big 12 the best conference top to bottom. That being said, the depth would likely be its undoing when it came to getting a playoff bid.

Oh trust and believe those comments were hollow. Look at the most recent AP poll. Notre dame just beat a sorry Trojan team and they were voted up ahead of both OKLAHOMA and STATE. Now, how the heck can they go from beating the #2 team at the shoe and then be ranked behind that team, being Ohio state, that hasn't beat any ranked team? The logic behind the rankings escape me but I try to remember that the AP polls don't matter because the committee rankings are the end all be all....But still, they look for any reason to screw over the big 12. I keep saying, until my SOONER (or any team from the big 12) wins the natty we want be getting the benefit of the doubt. OUr brand and notoriety is what keeps us relevant and afloat if we slip up. Other teams like bama and clemson get a major pass.

PhiAlpha
10-23-2017, 08:29 PM
Oh trust and believe those comments were hollow. Look at the most recent AP poll. Notre dame just beat a sorry Trojan team and they were voted up ahead of both OKLAHOMA and STATE. Now, how the heck can they go from beating the #2 team at the shoe and then be ranked behind that team, being Ohio state, that hasn't beat any ranked team? The logic behind the rankings escape me but I try to remember that the AP polls don't matter because the committee rankings are the end all be all....But still, they look for any reason to screw over the big 12. I keep saying, until my SOONER (or any team from the big 12) wins the natty we want be getting the benefit of the doubt. OUr brand and notoriety is what keeps us relevant and afloat if we slip up. Other teams like bama and clemson get a major pass.

And don’t look now, but Iowa St just moved into the rankings at 25.

OKC_on_mines
10-23-2017, 08:47 PM
And don’t look now, but Iowa St just moved into the rankings at 25.

Yup.....

Is it better if Iowa state beats Tcu or vice Versa?

Eric
10-24-2017, 06:09 AM

Don't understand my comments to mean that several teams in the Big XII should be ranked int he top 10, just that it is the deepest conference. The cat's out of the bag in the SEC, but Alabama is still really good. No argument there. But the doubt will set in as to how good. A 30 point win over Florida just ain't what it used to be. A 3 point win in Austin, no matter how rocky we looked, is still a good win. If you told me that in August I would have laughed in your face.

OKC_on_mines
10-24-2017, 09:17 AM
I can agree with you there.

sooner88
11-10-2017, 09:54 AM
OU's now 1 of 3 Jordan schools in the NCAA (UNC and Michigan). They were added for football and men's and women's bball starting 2018-2019. This will be a huge recruiting tool.

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/oklahoma-sooners-strike-deal-with-jordan-brand-110917

OKC_on_mines
11-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Oh yea. I think this is awesome for my sooners.....but is it just me or should they have included OUr women's softball team in the Jordan brand too? Its not like they haven't won back-back championships ya know? Oh and Im really curious how much Jordan paid us to do this. Word is Michigan was paid like $174 mil. Sheesh, that's a lot of money!

OKC_on_mines
11-12-2017, 01:47 AM
Boomer sooner baby!

Jake
01-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Really disappointed in Lincoln Riley's playcalling in the 2nd half + overtime. OU's defense was horrible as expected, but there were several chances to still win the game but the opportunity was never put in the Heisman's hands.

Such a shame.

Mott
01-01-2018, 08:23 PM
Well, maybe we could fix our budget, and schools, and consider ourselves winners.............

Sirsteve
01-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Really disappointed in Lincoln Riley's playcalling in the 2nd half + overtime. OU's defense was horrible as expected, but there were several chances to still win the game but the opportunity was never put in the Heisman's hands.

Such a shame.

Maybe its just me but the play calling really took a turn for the conservative side in the 2nd half especially in the 4th and the overtimes. I thought Lincoln Riley was doing a great impression of Bob Stoops.

u50254082
01-01-2018, 09:06 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the 2nd half and OT were just really odd on OU's behalf.

Did they pull Baker during OT? I swear I saw numerous pass plays that were WAY off.

Sirsteve
01-01-2018, 09:15 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the 2nd half and OT were just really odd on OU's behalf.

Did they pull Baker during OT? I swear I saw numerous pass plays that were WAY off.

Im with you on that one. Something seemed off during the overtimes almost like either he was hurt or just out of gas. They were just content with running very vanilla plays. I saw no creativity or trick plays like i did in the first half and the pass plays were way off.

dcsooner
01-01-2018, 10:03 PM
Just left Rose Bowl. Sooners played hard but not always well. Defense once again was our primary shortfall, too slow to match the speed of GA backs (see long runs). OK or any team that cannot hold a 17 or lead is simply not elite enough to win a N.C. I will reiterate my past positions, MS should be replaced and OU should leave the Big 12. The conference is not competitive and gives the winner a false sense of goodness for lack of a better word. Spoke with many disappointed OU fans.

Stew
01-01-2018, 10:29 PM
How odd they’ll be playing the SEC championship game so late in the season.

Roger S
01-02-2018, 08:38 AM
How odd they’ll be playing the SEC championship game so late in the season.

I'm declaring UCF the National Champions... They destroyed a team that beat both the teams playing for it this season.

OKCRT
01-02-2018, 12:11 PM
SEC is King Of College Football and it's not even close. Bama will win it all again. Some things never change and the sec being the best proves that. Even the lower rated sec teams are prob better than the better teams in other conferences. It's just the way it is and has been. It seems that most sec teams playing in the minor bowls don't care/try to win. Don't understand that.

Jake
01-02-2018, 12:14 PM
The Big 10 lost like one bowl game, tho

Laramie
01-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Great game! Want to commend the players, coaches & fans for their outstanding job representing the University of Oklahoma. The exposure should provide for future potential recruits.

Two items that OU needs to improve on:

1. Need an additional kicker, one person can handle the kick off, punting, extra point & field goal chores.
2. Need a skilled offensive coordinator who can relieve him (Lincoln Riley) of having to focus on too many aspects of the game.

We had a good recruiting class of incoming players for 2018; so we should be back.

Eric
01-02-2018, 12:46 PM
SEC is King Of College Football and it's not even close. Bama will win it all again. Some things never change and the sec being the best proves that. Even the lower rated sec teams are prob better than the better teams in other conferences. It's just the way it is and has been. It seems that most sec teams playing in the minor bowls don't care/try to win. Don't understand that.

The higher rated teams (Auburn) aren't even decidedly better than better teams in weak conferences (UCF). Alabama and Georgia are exceptional programs this season. The SEC is not decidedly the best conference, they just happen to be the conference that the best two teams (barely) play in.

LSU lost to Notre Dame. Meh.
Missouri got ran over by Texas. Two middling programs in their respective conferences.
Kentucky lost to Northwestern. I don't care how good Northwestern is getting, loosing to them should always be an embarrassment.
A&M Lost to Wake Forrest...in football.

Mississippi State did come back to beat Louisville (about middle of pack in the ACC).

I'm not saying this is terrible, just that your "theory" may need some reevaluating.

Taking nothing from Georgia, because I was impressed with their resolve for sure, they were a play or two from heading home against an OU team that obviously had some flaws (see ISU game).

Jersey Boss
01-02-2018, 01:45 PM
It seems that most sec teams playing in the minor bowls don't care/try to win. Don't understand that.
Pretty easy. They play to win championships. If a championship is not on the line, the attitude is "meh".

jerrywall
01-02-2018, 03:02 PM
I'm declaring UCF the National Champions... They destroyed a team that beat both the teams playing for it this season.

This will be a long-standing example for why scheduling matters. If your most impressive win is in a Bowl you won't be in contention.

Roger S
01-02-2018, 03:12 PM
This will be a long-standing example for why scheduling matters. If your most impressive win is in a Bowl you won't be in contention.

No... it's an example of why they need to expand to an 8 team playoff.

jerrywall
01-02-2018, 03:38 PM
No... it's an example of why they need to expand to an 8 team playoff.

Maybe, but not sure if would have changed much. The committee still needs to have a better idea of how you can play before the playoffs.

jerrywall
01-02-2018, 04:19 PM
Now to be clear, I support expanding to an 8 team playoff. But you're still gonna have teams fall one or two spots outside. Unless a couple of Cinderella spots were held for group of 5 schools.

Eric
01-02-2018, 04:29 PM
I would still like to see an 8 team, with conference champs in 5 spots, and the other three spots reserved for non-Power 5 schools, like UCF, Notre Dame, etc.

It would make conference play mean something, and the conference championship games also mean much more. And it's more democratic. It spreads the wealth to other conferences.

But I know it would never happen.

jerrywall
01-02-2018, 04:40 PM
I think without a system like that in place it could actually hurt the non power 5 schools. UCF was ranked 12th in the playoff rankings. They wouldn't have gotten a high profile game against Auburn with a straight top 8 system.

dankrutka
01-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Now to be clear, I support expanding to an 8 team playoff. But you're still gonna have teams fall one or two spots outside. Unless a couple of Cinderella spots were held for group of 5 schools.

8 teams can cover all bases. 5 conference champions, 1 Group of 5 team, and 2 at-large spots. First round is home field advantage and next two rounds are neutral sites. Under this scenario, it would have addressed both of the problems from this season (Ohio State and UCF).

dankrutka
01-02-2018, 06:05 PM
I would still like to see an 8 team, with conference champs in 5 spots, and the other three spots reserved for non-Power 5 schools, like UCF, Notre Dame, etc.

It would make conference play mean something, and the conference championship games also mean much more. And it's more democratic. It spreads the wealth to other conferences.

But I know it would never happen.

So, you'd leave out Alabama under this scenario? They're probably about to win the national championship.

bhawes
01-02-2018, 06:27 PM
In Bowl games sometime coach may not give their seniors a lot of playing time A true test of how good a conference is how many players are being drafted and making NFL teams. ACC, SEC and Big 10 for last 20 years have put more players in the league over Big 12 talent it not even close.

Eric
01-02-2018, 06:34 PM
So, you'd leave out Alabama under this scenario? They're probably about to win the national championship.

If the championship was reserved for who was on a role at the right time I would have suggested a 16 or 32 team field. But my impression it is the totality of the season that matters. If you can't even win your own conference, I don't feel sorry for you if you feel left out.

My whole goal would be to eliminate human judgement when selections are made. Championships are unbiased.

dankrutka
01-02-2018, 06:35 PM
In Bowl games sometime coach may not give their seniors a lot of playing time A true test of how good a conference is how many players are being drafted and making NFL teams. ACC, SEC and Big 10 for last 20 years have put more players in the league over Big 12 talent it not even close.

Are you arguing that more players from SEC schools sit out their bowl games or rest their seniors? I've never seen that. Do you have any evidence? On the other hand, mediocre Big 12 team Texas actually had a number of NFL bound players sit out their bowl game against their SEC opponent, which they beat easily.

The SEC is the best conference, but it's mainly bolstered by about 4 or 5 good programs out of 14 schools. The rest aren't anything special. People tend to forget that the Big 12 is only 10 schools. And, in a conference that small, it doesn't help when one of your traditional powers is down. If Texas gets back to being a top 10 program then the conference will look fine.

Jersey Boss
01-02-2018, 07:28 PM
Once upon a time conference champs were rewarded with a bowl game. Big 8 went to the Orange, SEC to the Sugar, Big 10 and Pac 12 to the Rose, etc. In those days there was no playoff. What needs to be determined and agreed upon is do D1 schools want a national champ or do they want a reward for a conference champ? Conferences in my opinion are about as relevant as a typewriter or slide rule. Back in the day these conferences were established by schools in close geographic proximity to each other. This is no longer a truism. The conferences are comprised of members both near and far. D1 schools not in power conferences are boxed out under the present set up. The claim is made that these schools are not deserving because of their schedule, yet Alabama played 2 ranked schools, losing to one. This boxing out appears to be getting more established under the present play off regimen. Under the old BCS, TCU, a Mountain West team made it to #3 under the BCS. Today UCF can't crack the top ten even though they are undefeated. Either the NCAA should create schedules for the top 40 teams so there is parity and everybody in D1 has a shot or just be really crazy and open up the play offs big time. D2 football has 4 regions of playoffs with ten in each region. This pretty much debunks the notion that 16 is too many. Let's establish a fair and equitable way to a championship or just go back to rewarding the conference champs with a bowl game and call it good.