View Full Version : Formosa Street Food and Bar (formerly Unwind Cafe)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

shartel_ave
03-29-2022, 03:25 PM
Dammit, I kept telling my wife we should go and now we won't be able to.

Best of luck to the owner I hope things work out for him and his medical issues, what a bummer!

sooner88
03-29-2022, 06:11 PM
Kefren posted “god is working it’s magic” on Instagram. Curious if they figured out a way to keep it going.

Pete
03-31-2022, 08:35 AM
The owners just sent me this:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/unwind033122a.jpg

soonerguru
03-31-2022, 07:24 PM
Such a bummer.

Pete
06-08-2022, 06:50 AM
Coming soon to the restaurant and patio space next to Tower Theater, Formosa Street Food and Bar will offer dozens of Taiwanese appetizers, Asian beers, sake and cocktails.

The operator is Ivan Wong, the GM at the popular Szechuan Story.

Remodeling is underway and they will be open in the next couple of months. Hours will be 4 PM to late every day with live music on Friday and Saturday nights.

Another great addition to the Tower complex which already features Ponyboy, Bunker Club and Honeybunny.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa060722ia.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa060722ib.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa060722ic.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa060722id.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa060722ie.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa060722if.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa060722ig.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa060722ih.jpg

shartel_ave
06-08-2022, 06:59 AM
that looks great, I love soup dumplings

Anonymous.
06-08-2022, 07:04 AM
I wonder what they mean by late. 2-3am would be amazing on weekends. This area has all these bars, but nothing to eat except donuts or the tacobell and McD down the street.

shartel_ave
06-08-2022, 07:45 AM
Formosa is categorized as an Izakaya

Oski
06-08-2022, 09:30 AM
The place was pretty decent when Unwind Cafe was there, probably they spent a lot of money remodeling it, now the new operators will take several months to remodel. No wonder why it's so tough to survive in the restaurant industry, it takes $$$ and months to renovate while the concepts are mostly unproven, but the landlords are happy anyway.

Thomas Vu
06-08-2022, 10:53 PM
Good get for the Szechuan story people.

HOT ROD
06-09-2022, 08:05 PM
very nice, can't wait to try Taiwanese street food next time I visit OKC!! Uptown is really coming together.

hope they stay open late Th-Sat (until 2am), and until at least 11pm Sun-Wed. ...

Pete
06-11-2022, 09:04 AM
Last night I ate at Szechuan Story for the first time; it's the same people that are behind Formosa.

I was super impressed. Tried a couple of the items they will be offering at Formosa and they were excellent: unique and flavorful. I also noticed most the diners were Asian, which is always a good sign.

I can see this place being a big hit and a fun place to hang out while enjoying a variety of great appetizers and some cold Asian beer or sake.

The diversity in OKC continues to bring some great restaurants and bars to town, nice alternatives to the plethora of burgers/pizza and bar food types of places.

Thomas Vu
06-11-2022, 10:30 AM
I think it was mentioned before but it's worth mentioning again.

Szechuan story has the cook and/or one of the previous owners of szechuan bistro from inside the building next to cao nguyen. Not sure if the cook was in ownership or not.

baralheia
06-13-2022, 09:45 AM
Szechuan Story is excellent and though I haven't gotten overly adventurous with the menu, everything I've tried has been delicious. The mapo tofu, chongqing spicy chicken, and kung pao are all my favorites and I always have trouble deciding between them. The dumplings are all great too - my favorite is the pork dumplings in chili oil, but man it's hard to go wrong at this place. And if that carries over to Formosa, so much the better!

Pete
06-13-2022, 10:00 AM
^

Many of their appetizers will be available at Formosa.

I had the Mini Scallion Pancake Wrap pictured below. Somewhat like an egg roll but more flavorful. Really liked it.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosapancake.jpg

baralheia
06-13-2022, 10:09 AM
^

Many of their appetizers will be available at Formosa.

I had the Mini Scallion Pancake Wrap pictured below. Somewhat like an egg roll but more flavorful. Really liked it.

The regular scallion pancakes they have at Szechuan Story are great - and those wraps look delicious! I can't wait to check out the new menu items when Formosa opens.

Pete
07-27-2022, 06:19 AM
Today, Formosa Street Food & Bar will open directly next to the Tower Theatre in Uptown.

Formosa is run by Ivan Wong the GM at the popular Szechuan Story and will feature 22 different Taiwanese/Chinese appetizers plus Asian beers and cocktails.

There is a large patio out front as well as ample indoor seating.

Hours are 4 to midnight Monday through Friday, noon to midnight on Saturday and noon to 10 PM Sunday.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa072122a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa072122b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa072122c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa072122d.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa072122e.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa072122f.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa072122g.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa072122h.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa072122i.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/formosa060722ig.jpg

king183
08-14-2022, 03:50 PM
My wife and I went to Formosa for the first time last night and were very impressed. The food was fantastic and the drinks were equally as good. Because of time, we only tried 3 things: the popcorn chicken, the scallion pancakes, and the chicken pot stickers. All were excellent. I got an East Old Fashioned--an Old Fashioned using Suntori Japanese Whisky. The staff was also very friendly. Overall, a very good experience. I encourage you all to give it a try if you haven't already.

Rover
08-14-2022, 04:17 PM
Last night I ate at Szechuan Story for the first time; it's the same people that are behind Formosa.

I was super impressed. Tried a couple of the items they will be offering at Formosa and they were excellent: unique and flavorful. I also noticed most the diners were Asian, which is always a good sign.

I can see this place being a big hit and a fun place to hang out while enjoying a variety of great appetizers and some cold Asian beer or sake.

The diversity in OKC continues to bring some great restaurants and bars to town, nice alternatives to the plethora of burgers/pizza and bar food types of places.

Been going to Szechuan Story for a bit now. It's our go to for Chinese food now. So, this is exciting to see they are branching out. I look forward to trying the new place. If the food is as good as SS it will be a big hit.

OKProf
08-16-2022, 05:03 PM
Just popped in for the first time and enjoyed it! Nice atmosphere and service and the food was great. We ordered the scallion pancakes, cold noodles, soup dumplings, and green beans. Would order everyone of them again. There are several more things on the menu that we want to try next time!

TheTravellers
08-16-2022, 05:21 PM
Being slightly lazy here since I could research it myself, but thinking that some of y'all might know off the top of your heads - what can I get here that's really good that I can't get at Szechuan Story (so much of the menu are the same items)?

OKProf
08-17-2022, 07:25 PM
^There is some overlap with Szechuan Story, but there are also a lot of differences, with Formosa emphasizing the street food items such as the bacon wrapped mushrooms, Taiwanese sausages, etc.

Also, some of the dishes on both menus are prepared quite differently. For example, I've had the spicy green beans at both and I liked the ones better at Formosa (I liked the spice and texture better at the latter). Also, I think the scallion pancakes are prepared differently; the ones at Formosa were great, almost like bites from a wrap with thinly sliced cucumbers, scallions, and hoison inside (yummy). (BTW I really like Szechuan story too).

Place was pretty quiet when I was there, so let's show them support if you think it's a worthy addition to 23rd!

TheTravellers
08-18-2022, 08:20 AM
^There is some overlap with Szechuan Story, but there are also a lot of differences, with Formosa emphasizing the street food items such as the bacon wrapped mushrooms, Taiwanese sausages, etc.

Also, some of the dishes on both menus are prepared quite differently. For example, I've had the spicy green beans at both and I liked the ones better at Formosa (I liked the spice and texture better at the latter). Also, I think the scallion pancakes are prepared differently; the ones at Formosa were great, almost like bites from a wrap with thinly sliced cucumbers, scallions, and hoison inside (yummy). (BTW I really like Szechuan story too).

Place was pretty quiet when I was there, so let's show them support if you think it's a worthy addition to 23rd!

Great info, thanks! It looked like it was just a bunch of the same stuff, so didn't want to duplicate ordering anything that we had at Szechuan Story, but now we know better...

Teo9969
03-12-2023, 05:31 PM
I just wanted to say how unbelievably excellent the food was at this place. I've never thought much of cucumbers. I like them just fine, but they are not exactly sexy.

Boy was I WWWRRROOOONNNNGGGGGG. The cucumbers as prepared at Formosa are a gift straight from the gods! I went about 2 weeks ago and I am still thinking of them. They are probably a Top 50 dish in all of Oklahoma City....and they're "just" cucumbers!!!!!

Pete
03-12-2023, 05:34 PM
^

Highly underrated place... All their food is very good.

And the owners are super nice dudes.

Will Dearborn
03-26-2023, 05:05 PM
Is Szechuan Story open? Went last night and it was closed with a note (not in English) taped to the door.

Thomas Vu
03-26-2023, 07:49 PM
Facebook indicates that they ran into some plumbing issues, that may or may not have been resolved.

soonerguru
07-14-2023, 12:47 PM
I have to give another deserved shout-out to Formosa Street Food. I was there with a business client last night and the place was packed with young folks, vibrant atmosphere (hearing audible music is always a plus), and great food and service (we sat at the bar). Drink service was prompt and friendly. Appreciate the multiple options for Asian beers.

It's clear that this place is hitting the market it is going for and will only grow in appeal over time. Already their operations are up to par; the food was always good from day one.

It's so refreshing to have an abundance of tasty and healthy options to choose from at affordable prices.

We need more casual but sophisticated choices like this in OKC as opposed to the overblown hipster joints, many of which have failed or are in various stages of failure.

My work colleague was there a couple of weeks ago also and he said it was packed when he visited, too. Very happy for them and happy to have them in OKC.

Pete
07-14-2023, 12:57 PM
The owner (Ivan) is just the nicest person you'll ever meet and their food is so good.

I'm glad to hear they've found their audience.

king183
07-14-2023, 01:35 PM
I hope they have found their audience. Every time I've gone, the food is excellent and the service is great. It's different for OKC and we need that.

Teo9969
07-14-2023, 02:20 PM
They cater lunches at Paycom every other week or so, and that generates a nice chunk of change for anyone who gets to do so.

DoctorTaco
07-17-2023, 07:29 AM
Finally ate there last night and it more than lived up to the hype. Due to rampant boosterism in this town I am always skeptical of restaurants that folks rave about but this place more than exceeded my expectations. One of the better and more unique meals I have had in OKC. And really not expensive either.

SEMIweather
07-17-2023, 08:16 AM
For anyone who enjoys Formosa, I would recommend trying Mi Xian in Midtown (in the old Gogi Go location).

Thomas Vu
07-23-2023, 10:19 PM
Finally ate there last night and it more than lived up to the hype. Due to rampant boosterism in this town I am always skeptical of restaurants that folks rave about but this place more than exceeded my expectations. One of the better and more unique meals I have had in OKC. And really not expensive either.

I think this forum is pretty good about opinions when it comes to food. Unsure what boosterism is, but can generally guess and if I"m right don't see it here.