View Full Version : Formosa Street Food and Bar (formerly Unwind Cafe)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Pete
02-21-2020, 10:13 AM
Scottie's could've been a dinner concept too - they have hundreds of people walking right by them 3-4 (or more) nights a week going to the Tower, and we used to eat there before a Tower show. Maybe folks going to the Tower don't eat right before a show, or eat elsewhere and then drive to the Tower, I don't know, but it seems like lots of restaurants would kill for that much foot traffic literally feet from their door and do as much as they could to pull people in.

Ur/bun couldn't make it work there and Honey Bunny is not open in the evenings.

TheTravellers
02-21-2020, 10:15 AM

Well, HunnyBunny is a breakfast concept, so it's logical they would only be open until 2:00 PM, and I dunno what Ur/Bun's deal was, I don't think they ever figured it out. As someone said, a (good) pizza place in Ur/Bun's spot would probably kill it.

Pete
02-21-2020, 10:19 AM
Just saying that there have been 2 other restaurants at the Tower and they don't get any/much dinner business either.

Hasn't been just a Scottie's issue.

TheTravellers
02-21-2020, 10:23 AM
Just saying that there have been 2 other restaurants at the Tower and they don't get any/much dinner business either.

Hasn't been just a Scottie's issue.

Yep, agreed, seems weird with that much foot traffic, as I said, I guess folks just show up for the show and then leave. Wonder if Backdoor BBQ has shown any uptick in business since the Tower reopened (that's about the only restaurant left on that block on that side, I think, don't know how much business they normally do, we didn't like them and have only eaten there once)?

PaddyShack
02-21-2020, 10:38 AM

I drove all the way from Yukon at least once a week for Ur/bun when it was steam buns, then they switched hands and blew up their menu, went once and never went back.

PaddyShack
02-21-2020, 10:40 AM
Well, HunnyBunny is a breakfast concept, so it's logical they would only be open until 2:00 PM, and I dunno what Ur/Bun's deal was, I don't think they ever figured it out. As someone said, a (good) pizza place in Ur/Bun's spot would probably kill it.

I know for a fact if HunnyBunny was opened later I would visit more. I just am not in the area until later in the day.

baralheia
02-21-2020, 11:17 AM
I drove all the way from Yukon at least once a week for Ur/bun when it was steam buns, then they switched hands and blew up their menu, went once and never went back.

Yeah, I work less than a mile from the Tower and I visited Ur/Bun at least once a paycheck for lunch.... until they switched things up. When the menu changed, my interest waned significantly.

SEMIweather
02-22-2020, 07:52 AM
Then the rest in OKC must be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy sad, 'cos when I had it, it wasn't anywhere close to a good, much less best, Cuban. However, when my wife had it some months before I did, it was decent, but still nowhere close to the best.

It's unfortunate that the really good Cuban food truck (I forget the name, but they used to be on the NW corner of N May & Grand) seems to have closed up shop.

shawnw
02-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Someplace Else may not be the best but it's good and cost effective and reliable. Love (and will miss) the new places, but I'd be okay with a few more places like Someplace Else as well.

TheTravellers
02-22-2020, 11:42 AM
It's unfortunate that the really good Cuban food truck (I forget the name, but they used to be on the NW corner of N May & Grand) seems to have closed up shop.

Yeah, had one from there and it was decent too, they closed a year or two ago when the garage they were parked at turned into a home design store and a dispensary next to it. Don't think we've ever had any as good as the ones we had in Naperville, IL at a long-gone Cuban restaurant.

TheirTheir
02-24-2020, 07:28 AM
Someplace Else's food = 5 on a quality level (1-10, 10 being highest), Scottie's = 8.5 (when they first started), not really even comparable. And yes, Scottie's prices reflected that quality. Personally, we think Someplace Else is in between Subway (2) and Neptune's (6-ish).
What an exceptionally bad opinion of a fantastic sandwich shop!

My strong personal opinion aside, Scottie's just wasn't consistent enough for their price point.

TheTravellers
02-24-2020, 09:17 AM
What an exceptionally bad opinion of a fantastic sandwich shop!

My strong personal opinion aside, Scottie's just wasn't consistent enough for their price point.

I've eaten at sandwich shops all over the country, and Someplace Else is average, which is what 5 is on a 1-10 scale, and average does not equal "exceptionally bad" to pretty much anybody except you ("exceptionally bad" is a 1 or 2, Subway level). And yes, what you're saying about Scottie's seems to be pretty much what everybody (including me) thinks is a major reason behind their closing.

Libbymin
02-24-2020, 10:00 AM
I went there the other day and while the food was as good as always, it also took forever to get my food, which was half a sandwich and soup. They were kinda busy but there were a lot of other people waiting for a long time too. Not the only time it had been that slow. I'll still miss the place though.

TheirTheir
02-24-2020, 01:02 PM
I've eaten at sandwich shops all over the country. You say this as if that is a rare thing. I too have had sandwiches from shops all over the country and my opinion is still different than yours, sir. Safe travels!

Buffalo Bill
02-24-2020, 09:39 PM
Hopefully the sign can stay. It’s nice:
https://youtu.be/mJDRklBbdIo

Thomas Vu
02-25-2020, 07:42 AM
Hopefully the sign can stay. It’s nice:
https://youtu.be/mJDRklBbdIo

and that concludes my exposure to the local news for the year 2020.

Teo9969
02-26-2020, 06:55 PM
and that concludes my exposure to the local news for the year 2020.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

warreng88
06-07-2021, 08:31 PM
Drove by today and saw a sign up outside of Scotties Deli. Can’t remember the name, but looks like a new concept.

John Knight
06-15-2021, 07:49 AM
Drove by today and saw a sign up outside of Scotties Deli. Can’t remember the name, but looks like a new concept.

Unwind Cafe

shawnw
06-15-2021, 08:01 AM
So first you go to play cafe, then unwind cafe?

sooner88
06-15-2021, 08:02 AM
Unwind Cafe

https://kfor.com/news/local/trailer-filled-with-essential-restaurant-equipment-stolen-in-oklahoma-city-as-owners-prepare-to-open-for-business/

Pete
06-15-2021, 08:08 AM
In the interior shot, it looks like they are adding a small bar to the right.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/unwind1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/unwind2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/unwind3.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/unwind4.jpg

TheTravellers
06-15-2021, 09:59 AM
Anybody know their hours? And does "all day brunch" mean only until they close at 2 (as it so often does) or "all day", assuming they're open past 2?

Pete
06-15-2021, 10:00 AM
Anybody know their hours? And does "all day brunch" mean only until they close at 2 (as it so often does) or "all day"?

They aren't even close to opening yet as you can see from the photos and the posted article that reports all their new kitchen equipment was stolen.

Thomas Vu
06-17-2021, 11:30 PM
Interesting menu.

TheTravellers
06-18-2021, 08:05 AM
They aren't even close to opening yet as you can see from the photos and the posted article that reports all their new kitchen equipment was stolen.

That reminds me, was going to ask about this - is it normal for trailers full of restaurant equipment to not be insured? I'm assuming it wasn't because they can't afford to replace it. Seems weird to have the smarts and money to afford to open a restaurant, but not to insure a trailer full of stuff?

Jersey Boss
06-18-2021, 10:20 AM
Why can a legit deli not succeed in the metro?

soonerguru
06-18-2021, 11:21 AM
Why can a legit deli not succeed in the metro?

The Lunch Box offered excellent deli items and only went out because their building was leveled.

Scottie's wasn't really a deli, similar to The Lunch Box. Were we do get one, I think it could / would succeed if it was more traditional. Location would obviously be huge.

I really liked Scottie's for the most part, although at times their pastrami was over-seasoned and insanely salty.

Dob Hooligan
06-18-2021, 11:25 AM
That reminds me, was going to ask about this - is it normal for trailers full of restaurant equipment to not be insured? I'm assuming it wasn't because they can't afford to replace it. Seems weird to have the smarts and money to afford to open a restaurant, but not to insure a trailer full of stuff?

I'm guessing it is normal. I don't know exactly how equipment "in transit" would be placed on a policy? Seems to me that business insurance would be written after construction. And most small restaurants are bootstrap operations, so finding free capital for equipment theft insurance is pretty far down the list.

Jersey Boss
06-18-2021, 12:44 PM
The Lunch Box offered excellent deli items and only went out because their building was leveled.

Scottie's wasn't really a deli, similar to The Lunch Box. Were we do get one, I think it could / would succeed if it was more traditional. Location would obviously be huge.

I really liked Scottie's for the most part, although at times their pastrami was over-seasoned and insanely salty.

Yeah, I'm not hung up on whether a place makes their own cold cuts or cheeses. Just give me a place with quality breads, quality meats, pickles and other unique items one would find in a deli in a typical city.

Thomas Vu
06-18-2021, 09:02 PM
Do you like ND foods?

Martin
06-19-2021, 06:08 AM
Do you like ND foods?

i was going to say EXACTLY the same thing. they've been around for more than a decade and have survived through some pretty heavy road construction on britton. personally, i think they're the best deli sandwich in the metro, hands down.

Thomas Vu
06-19-2021, 09:36 PM
i was going to say EXACTLY the same thing. they've been around for more than a decade and have survived through some pretty heavy road construction on britton. personally, i think they're the best deli sandwich in the metro, hands down.

Definitely get what you pay for in terms of quantity. I preferred Scotties, but am glad they're around.

shawnw
09-09-2021, 02:12 PM
Picture from Stephen
https://twitter.com/stphntylr/status/1435972072774283265

OkieBerto
09-22-2021, 03:12 PM
Went this last weekend to try it out. Definitely a place I will go back to. Had the Sweet Elena and Parmesan Truffle Fries. Basically a turkey sandwich with cream cheese and strawberry jam. Lots of flavors. The Tiramisu was delicious. This family is kind and helpful. It was almost completely full inside.

rjstone208
01-27-2022, 09:44 AM
Anyone been here lately. Thinking about going here for lunch next trip to the City but wanted opinions first.

rayvaflav
02-06-2022, 08:14 AM
Anyone been here lately. Thinking about going here for lunch next trip to the City but wanted opinions first.

I went to Unwind Cafe a few weeks ago, I had a recommendation to try the Cuban Sandwich. It was terrific and it came with a side of Belgian Fries. It's bit pricey for a sandwich but worth it. I will definitely go back.

SEMIweather
02-06-2022, 10:09 AM
Gonna have to try it then, been looking for a good Cuban in the Metro ever since the Cuban food truck around May & Grand closed a few years back (I forget the name of the place, sorry).

TheTravellers
02-06-2022, 12:39 PM
Gonna have to try it then, been looking for a good Cuban in the Metro ever since the Cuban food truck around May & Grand closed a few years back (I forget the name of the place, sorry).

They had decent ones, but the Unwind one doesn't look authentic (cream of mustard, brioche), so be aware of that. I've been looking for a good Cuban sandwich ever since we moved back to OKC in 2009, haven't really found a good *and* authentic one.

Roger S
02-07-2022, 09:31 AM
I have not been yet but I spotted this Cuban place a few weeks ago....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Paladar+Cubano/@35.4351833,-97.5535512,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x87b21127acfad427:0x83b7a73ac039c 301!8m2!3d35.435459!4d-97.5535401?hl=en

Timshel
02-07-2022, 11:44 AM
It's not completely authentic, but Picasso Cafe's cuban is one of my go to orders there.

Finally made it to Unwind last weekend - service was a bit slow due to staffing shortages (they posted a warning on the door) but the food was very solid! An interesting menu but will definitely go back.

TheTravellers
02-08-2022, 08:23 AM

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Paladar+Cubano/@35.4351833,-97.5535512,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x87b21127acfad427:0x83b7a73ac039c 301!8m2!3d35.435459!4d-97.5535401?hl=en

Interesting - they actually don't have a Cuban sandwich on the menu, but there's a pic of one on Yelp (the bread doesn't look promising, though).

Roger S
02-08-2022, 08:42 AM
If you go to the Online Order part of the page the menu is more extensive and you will see the sandwich option there.

I was disappointed they don't have picadillo.

Pete
02-08-2022, 08:56 AM
If you go to the Online Order part of the page the menu is more extensive and you will see the sandwich option there.

They do have "Cuban ground beef" which is likely the same thing.

I love picadillo; I make it sometimes myself.

TheTravellers
02-08-2022, 09:09 AM

Gotcha, thx. Bread still doesn't look right in the Yelp pic, though. :)

TheTravellers
02-08-2022, 09:10 AM
They do have "Cuban ground beef" which is likely the same thing.

I love picadillo; I make it sometimes myself.

We tried a recipe from Milk Street a year or so ago, and it was amazing, thanks for reminding us we need to make it again.

Jeepnokc
02-08-2022, 06:42 PM
We tried a recipe from Milk Street a year or so ago, and it was amazing, thanks for reminding us we need to make it again.

Dont tease us,,,,,share the recipe?

soonerguru
02-09-2022, 09:54 AM

Yes, I've been wanting to give Paladar a try for a Cuban.

TheTravellers
02-09-2022, 04:44 PM
Dont tease us,,,,,share the recipe?

Luckily it's a "Tuesday Night" recipe, not one of their regular dozens-of-steps recipes, so it's a little bit simpler.

2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 yellow onions, finely chopped
2 tsp kosher salt, divided
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lbs 90% lean ground beef
1/2 c raisins, chopped
2 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs cumin seeds
1 tsp dried oregano
3/4 c water
1/2 c pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
3 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, finely chopped
3 Tbs olive brine
1/2 c fresh cilantro, minced

Heat oil over medium-high in a large non-stick skillet until just smoking, add onions and 1/2 tsp salt, cook, stirring until browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in beef, cook, breaking it up into small pieces, until no pink remains. Stir in raisins, tomato paste, cumin seeds, dried oregano, and 1 1/2 tsp salt and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water and bring to a simmer, then reduce to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the water has evaporated, about 7-9 minutes. Stir in olives and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in tomatoes, olive brine and cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve.

Jeepnokc
02-09-2022, 11:16 PM
Luckily it's a "Tuesday Night" recipe, not one of their regular dozens-of-steps recipes, so it's a little bit simpler.

2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 yellow onions, finely chopped
2 tsp kosher salt, divided
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lbs 90% lean ground beef
1/2 c raisins, chopped
2 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs cumin seeds
1 tsp dried oregano
3/4 c water
1/2 c pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
3 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, finely chopped
3 Tbs olive brine
1/2 c fresh cilantro, minced

Heat oil over medium-high in a large non-stick skillet until just smoking, add onions and 1/2 tsp salt, cook, stirring until browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in beef, cook, breaking it up into small pieces, until no pink remains. Stir in raisins, tomato paste, cumin seeds, dried oregano, and 1 1/2 tsp salt and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water and bring to a simmer, then reduce to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the water has evaporated, about 7-9 minutes. Stir in olives and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in tomatoes, olive brine and cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve.

Sounds delicious Thanks

Roger S
02-10-2022, 06:46 AM
I don't know who the cook was that was sitting around thinking "Hey this ground beef dish is pretty good but I think adding raisins would take it to the next level." was...... But they were a freaking genius!

TheTravellers
02-10-2022, 06:53 AM
I don't know who the cook was that was sitting around thinking "Hey this ground beef dish is pretty good but I think adding raisins would take it to the next level." was...... But they were a freaking genius!

We've been subscribing to Milk Street since they started about 5 years ago, and the amount of recipes they have that do that kind of weird juxtaposition is amazing, and almost all of them work as good as the picadillo (which, yes, I know, has been using raisins in it millennia before Milk Street started :))!

sooner88
02-27-2022, 07:17 PM
We went today for brunch, and had an overall great experience. I had the Cuban, and the chimichurri fries and she had the Washington Square hot plate. The Cuban was great, albeit not exactly what I picture as traditional. He uses a mustard cream sauce vs. yellow mustard and the bread was more like a roll - but I really liked it. We both agreed the chimichurri fries were some of the best fries we’ve ever had. The chimichurri was lightly coating the fries vs. the sauce I envisioned, but I could have just had those for a meal and been happy. The service was great, and the interior had a nice update from Scottie’s. I look forward to going back soon.

zefferoni
02-28-2022, 06:58 AM
Does anybody know how/if they handle cross-contamination with the tree nuts? I've got an allergy and there's only two(ish) sandwiches on the menu that don't have tree nuts, so I'm curious.
Also curious if the pesto on the Mikel Angelo has pine nuts. I sent an email last week but haven't heard back yet.

soonerguru
02-28-2022, 12:36 PM
We went today for brunch, and had an overall great experience. I had the Cuban, and the chimichurri fries and she had the Washington Square hot plate. The Cuban was great, albeit not exactly what I picture as traditional. He uses a mustard cream sauce vs. yellow mustard and the bread was more like a roll - but I really liked it. We both agreed the chimichurri fries were some of the best fries we’ve ever had. The chimichurri was lightly coating the fries vs. the sauce I envisioned, but I could have just had those for a meal and been happy. The service was great, and the interior had a nice update from Scottie’s. I look forward to going back soon.

Wow, I had to glance at your username to make sure I hadn't written this myself. My wife and I had the exact items you did, albeit I had the Washington Square and my wife the Cuban. We also ordered a side of the chimichurri fries as well as the truffle fries. However, we each tried each other's items.

I'm no expert on Cuban sandwiches, as others here seem to be, but the owners are actual Cubans and the sandwich was absolutely delicious.

I agree that the chimichurri fries are among the best fries I've ever eaten in OKC, or really anywhere period.

The plating and flavor layering of the Washington Square was excellent, as is the house coffee.

Also, the place just feels like something you would find in a much larger American or European city. Very cosmopolitan and yet earthy, as many NYC or Parisian places are.

We loved everything about it as well as the owners and staff.

sooner88
02-28-2022, 01:33 PM
Wow, I had to glance at your username to make sure I hadn't written this myself. My wife and I had the exact items you did, albeit I had the Washington Square and my wife the Cuban. We also ordered a side of the chimichurri fries as well as the truffle fries. However, we each tried each other's items.

I'm no expert on Cuban sandwiches, as others here seem to be, but the owners are actual Cubans and the sandwich was absolutely delicious.

I agree that the chimichurri fries are among the best fries I've ever eaten in OKC, or really anywhere period.

The plating and flavor layering of the Washington Square was excellent, as is the house coffee.

Also, the place just feels like something you would find in a much larger American or European city. Very cosmopolitan and yet earthy, as many NYC or Parisian places are.

We loved everything about it as well as the owners and staff.

Everyone that worked there seemed genuinely happy to be there, and they all raved about the food and the owners - which is a great sign. They currently do late night tapas and drinks (menu says Fri-Sat, but I believe she said only on Friday nights). They're looking to add live music, specialty cocktails, etc. but are taking it slowly.

The only thing that is a little confusing is the name itself. Unwind Cafe doesn't lead me to believe it's primarily a Cuban brunch spot, but I think as word spreads and their hours expand that will change. The fact that they went directly nextdoor to another successful brunch spot (Hunny Bunny) and are still doing well gives me hope for their longevity.

AnguisHerba
03-28-2022, 11:52 AM
Unwind's owner posted on social media they will be closing permanently, mainly due to a health condition.

Pete
03-28-2022, 11:54 AM
Unwind's owner posted on social media they will be closing permanently, mainly due to a health condition.

Nooooo!!

How sad for them and for OKC. This place was well-regarded.

sooner88
03-28-2022, 12:48 PM
Nooooo!!

How sad for them and for OKC. This place was well-regarded.

We almost went for the second time on Sunday for brunch, but opted for Red Rooster (which was our first time in a long time, and was a great experience). I saw the news this morning and wished we had gone back. It sounded like they were finally getting some good momentum and were excited about expanding hours to have more live music, etc. That's a big bummer.

soonerguru
03-28-2022, 09:51 PM
THIS IS A F*CKING TRAGEDY.

Actually, no, it is not, but it is sad. This was my favorite new restaurant in OKC and I loved the vibe and the food, and even more, the owners. They made the place. That this man is struggling financially with health problems is a terrible indictment of our country's health delivery system. I plan to donate to his GoFundMe or whatever but I hope the place lives on. Perhaps an investor will keep the chef and menu. It is terrific! Without the owners, it would lose some charm but the concept is great and it just needs a lifeline.