View Full Version : Another Ed Noble Parkway Victim - Johnny Carino's Closes in Norman

Video Expert
02-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Yet another empty building on ENP. Per Dave Cathey at the Daily Oklahoman. Click Link and Scroll Down to "Comings and Goings"

http://newsok.com/article/5537071

HangryHippo
02-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Once the construction is wrapped up on the interstate, they're going to have to reinvest and change this place up. It has suffered tremendously.

This also reminds me I need to find that presentation on retrofitting malls. I think it could be applicable here.

FighttheGoodFight
02-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Once the construction is wrapped up on the interstate, they're going to have to reinvest and change this place up. It has suffered tremendously.

This also reminds me I need to find that presentation on retrofitting malls. I think it could be applicable here.

+1. The construction really killed everything past BJs until you get to about Home Depot.

Video Expert
02-08-2017, 03:00 PM
+1. The construction really killed everything past BJs until you get to about Home Depot.

ENP was in decline before the construction, but it has definitely exacerbated the problems with the area. I can think of several retailers who bailed from ENP around the time that University Town Center began its rapid growth at 24th Ave. NW and Robinson. However, I believe Johnny Carino's is the first business South of the Home Depot that has closed.

riflesforwatie
02-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Folks were talking about this and the downfall of ENP at the barbershop last week. I think the consensus was that it's all too far gone, but I think the stuff nearest Lindsey might recover once the road reopens. Farther north is a ghosttown though (BBB, Barnes & Noble, Applebee's area).

HangryHippo
02-21-2017, 02:05 PM
They could add some midrise housing and green space with some modifications to the layout and this would be a nice area again. Especially once all the highway work is completed.

gman11695
02-21-2017, 02:33 PM
I actually spoke with someone from the City of Norman about this. She said that construction on the interstate is not helping. First it was the Main St. interchange and now Lindsey, so they've been hit from both ends. That's also right that they are competing with UNP. Fortunately though, the area is undergoing a property management change right now, so she said that once the interchange is done and the management is switched over, a lot should happen with that area once again.