View Full Version : Sheesh Mahal

Pete
02-07-2017, 06:37 AM
Couldn't find a thread on this place so thought I would start one...

Located at 4621 N. May.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sheesh-mahal-oklahoma-city
https://www.yelp.com/menu/sheesh-mahal-oklahoma-city

I ordered the butter chicken curry, spicy rice and naan bread to go.

All were excellent... Asked for the 'spicy' version of the curry but there wasn't much heat; same with the rice. But both were delicious.

The meal was big enough for 2 and only $12 before tip.

Was quite busy for a Monday night.

No beer, wine or liquor but you can BYOB. Also, you order at the counter then sit down.

Dated decor and not especially nice inside, but clean and the staff was very friendly.

Martin
02-07-2017, 06:44 AM
this is in an old taco tico, right? if so... i tried this out for lunch sometime last summer and thought the food was really tasty... didn't read the menu right though and ended up spending a little north of $20 for lunch but had more than plenty of food.

Roger S
02-07-2017, 06:45 AM
this is in an old taco tico, right?

Yep.... Been about a year since I made it over there but I thought the food was excellent.

Pete
02-07-2017, 06:49 AM
They have a lunch buffet which I will have to try, mainly to sample their various dishes so I can order the full versions later.

Roger S
02-07-2017, 06:55 AM
They have a lunch buffet which I will have to try,

That's new since the last time I was there. Would definitely help at lunch for time issues.

I went with 3 others and there was only one other table seated that day and it took a bit to get our food.... I like that they were making the dishes to order but it has a tendency to drive away the average patron on a one hour or 30 minute lunch.

Bullbear
02-07-2017, 08:26 AM
this is in an old taco tico, right? if so... i tried this out for lunch sometime last summer and thought the food was really tasty... didn't read the menu right though and ended up spending a little north of $20 for lunch but had more than plenty of food.

I had this issue the first time I went. I was confused by the menu and over ordered BIG TIME. good food though!

Pete
02-07-2017, 08:35 AM
I believe the butter chicken curry was $6.99, the spicy rice was $2.99 and the bread $1.99.

As I mentioned, it was a little over $12 after tax and was enough to feed two people.

AP
02-07-2017, 10:57 AM
I've always wanted to try this place as I LOVE Indian food, but my wife doesn't particularly care for it so I haven't made it over yet. I've heard it's really good, though.

Pete
02-07-2017, 11:05 AM
^

Super easy to do carry out.

I had never been in before and just ordered at the counter and everything was ready in 10 minutes, maybe less.

TheTravellers
02-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Been there multiple times, especially since we moved to the Venice neighborhood, best Indian/Pakistani food we've ever had. Everybody we've taken there agrees, and all of them are Indian/Pakistani food aficionados. It is a bit pricey, but worth it - we usually get 2 meals each from one trip, though (one there and one at home later). Spice level is pretty low, though, as you said, but I like stuff way hotter than the general public. Didn't know about the buffet, but probably won't mess with it, don't like buffets in general. Their mango lassi is incredible, have to get it almost every time... Service is great all-around, too!

soonermike81
02-07-2017, 07:05 PM
We live very near this place, but didn't even bother to try it out till a few months ago. Glad we did, definitely the best Indian in town. Glad to hear they have a lunch buffet now.

Pete
02-07-2017, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure about the lunch buffet but saw a big buffet table and assumed as much.

jompster
02-07-2017, 07:35 PM
this is in an old taco tico, right? .

When I moved here, it was Zorba's. It was the first place I ate with my mom. I've been to Sheesh Mahal twice and thought it was excellent. Their curries are great!

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
02-08-2017, 12:16 AM
Its east of Bricktown in one of those Truck stops, well we went to get some INdian food, but for whatever reason it was closed, but they have aisles of products Indian or international items as well as a little food service area, but I swear I saw rodents darting about, so I was totally grossed out, not to mention the inside of the truck stop reeked of diesel fuel or oil. That place is not somewhere I will go back to try, even thought I was intrigued by the whole truck stop indian food network idea, i hear there is another up around the turner turnpike entrance, closer to edmond/ or the amusement park, that truck stop area. I don't know.

Tried Sheesh once, enjoyed it, the other places I frequent more often are Gopuram on occasion, which is okay, and Taj, which is not bad, its real busy when they do that Diwali thing, that is pretty awesome.

Martin
02-08-2017, 08:06 AM
When I moved here, it was Zorba's. It was the first place I ate with my mom. I've been to Sheesh Mahal twice and thought it was excellent. Their curries are great!

oh right... i had forgotten about zorba's starting out at that location. i remember checking it out (easily 10 years ago) after much fanfare and thinking 'who the heck puts pickles on a gyro?' i know that the location was later an italia express but can't remember if there were any other tenants after zorba's.

but... totally agree about shish mahal's food. don't remember what i ordered (besides ordering WAY too much food) but i do remember that it was really fresh and flavorful.

Martin
02-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Its east of Bricktown in one of those Truck stops, well we went to get some INdian food, but for whatever reason it was closed

i actually tried this place out almost 5 years ago... it's in one of the truckstops near reno & eastern. the place looked pretty worn... but didn't seem overly unclean to me. i ordered by phone, drove over, and still had to wait about 20 minutes while they cooked my meal... i assumed that they didn't think i'd actually show up. i ended up walking around their little grocery to kill some time while i waited. the chicken masala i ordered was pretty good... but not good enough for me to make a repeat visit.

Roger S
02-08-2017, 08:15 AM
oh right... i had forgotten about zorba's starting out at that location.

I believe it was an Italian restaurant for a few years too.

Pete
02-08-2017, 08:28 AM
Zorbas, Italian Express, Las Palapas, Abadan's Famous Gyros, and Taco Tico.

Roger S
02-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Zorbas, Italian Express, Las Palapas, Abadan's Famous Gyros, and Taco Tico.

Forgot about Abadan's.... That's been a long time ago. I was in my 20's when I ate there.

Martin
02-08-2017, 08:37 AM
didn't realize that had ever been an abadan's... i remember one of those being southside near i-240 & youngs... probably in the early 90's.

ctchandler
02-08-2017, 03:39 PM
i hear there is another up around the turner turnpike entrance, closer to edmond/ or the amusement park, that truck stop area. I don't know.

I think you are referring to Indian Dahba, located inside the Phillips 66 truck stop South of 122nd and I-35 service road, just South of McDonald's (or Love's). I have eaten there and it was good. I'm not a good judge of Indian food, so it could have been great or average, I just know that it tasted fine to me.
C. T.

Pete
03-25-2021, 09:18 AM
Sheesh Mahal is doing a big renovation; looks like they are adding a large covered patio.

They are still busy all the time and for good reason; their food is consistently excellent.

This building was constructed in the '70s for Taco Tico.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sheesh032421a.jpg

TheTravellers
03-25-2021, 09:24 AM
It started out looking like a patio, but since it now has window openings, wonder if it's going to be an expansion of the dining room? At this point, could be either, I guess.

And I second the excellence of their food, we eat there as often as our bodies let us. :)

Timshel
03-29-2021, 08:38 AM
FWIW it's looked like that for probably 4 months, at least, without much progress. Good to see that they're appearing to start working on it again. One of my favorites.